Re: [The New Coven of Louise Brooks] Anniversary

  • Peter
    Message 1 of 30 , Aug 10, 2008
      olive_e_thomas wrote:
      > There are a little over 150 active members on our rolls and 8
      > more that Yahoo lists as "Bouncing".

      ah. I went over a ton of groups a while ago and found several to my likings.
      Unfortunately most of them appear to be as dead as a door nail.
      Maybe Y should do some house keeping on the lot. Weed out a few 1000
      groups that have no members or zero flow.
      Makes it easier for people to find interesting groups that do work.
      > The Yahoo Group attached to the Louise Brooks Society has
      > over 1400 members but there hasn't been a posting there since
      > 2006

      A dead group then, you'd expect at least someone on that one to have a
      thought of some sort regarding her.
      But not a single post in 2 years is not a good sign.
      > Lulu in Cyberspace has about 230 members but their last
      > posting was over a year ago.

      I was subscribed to that one as well. Not a single message indeed so I
      dropped that one pretty quick.
      Several others supposedly had a moderate flow but those turned out to be
      spam mails only.
      I have a zero tolerance for that, whenever I connect to a group and the
      first message I get turns out to be spam I unsubscribe immediately.
      One group even has the moderator spamming the moment you sign on: he
      then sends out two messages to you personally pushing the thoughts of
      some money hungry preacher on you. A minute after the unsubscribe
      message went out two identical messages arrived. What a nerd.

      > So there's a bunch of Brooksfans out there...

      Oh. no doubt about that but they are all so quiet. Same with the Jean
      Harlow group though and I can understand the reason but its a bit
      frustrating to see tons of groups with lots of members and zero flow.
      Even the newsgroups remain empty.

      But I do see a recurring fact, lost of those are about classic movie
      stars and although there are a lot of devoted fans around for them, they
      have little to say which might be because most of the 'subjects' have
      passed on.
      Closed book so to speak.

      Still.

      She's at #145 when searching for "Brooks" on the IMDB.
      Her starmeter there went up 10% since last week. I have no pro
      subscription but would be interested to know why and how that meter
      actually works.
      The message board on imdb is relatively active, 5 pages of posts, thats
      not too bad I guess.

      Has anyone seen that Lulu in Belin docu once ?
      Message 2 of 30 , Aug 10, 2008
        One of the advantages of a Yahoo Group is you get a lot of
        archive space for photographs so even 'dead' groups have their
        place.

        Often I think people start a group and after a while lose interest
        in the subject if no sort of critical mass is reached where the
        members keep up the interest.

        Or maybe the internet is changing and this sort of forum is out of
        style.

        In the case of the Louise Brooks Society's Yahoo Group, it
        seems their Live Journal 'blog' gets more of the creative attention
        which is a shame because you can share photos and files a lot
        easier here. When this was just the 'Coven' of Louise Brooks
        there were short movie clips loaded to the files section.
        Unfortunately that site got deleted accidentally by a co-moderator
        back in 2000 - hence the 'New Coven' label.

        --- In thenewcovenoflouisebrooks@yahoogroups.com, Peter

        Message 3 of 30 , Aug 10, 2008
          olive_e_thomas wrote:
          > One of the advantages of a Yahoo Group is you get a lot of
          > archive space for photographs so even 'dead' groups have their
          > place.

          thats true. But the internet is quite big and there are a lot of
          websites around for her.
          Shouldn't be too hard to find a good place for those.
          > Often I think people start a group and after a while lose interest
          > in the subject if no sort of critical mass is reached where the
          > members keep up the interest.

          That would seem to be the case, yes. I see lots of groups with less then
          5 members. before I paid attention to that fact I subscribed to one and
          the other day I noticed that the group had one active member. That would
          be me then. So.. Byee.

          > Or maybe the internet is changing and this sort of forum is out of
          > style.

          I can't imagine why it would. At least not for me the older generation
          perhaps; I have been subscribing to various mailing lists over the past
          decade and that has changed to yahoo groups over time. Some might
          remember Topica.com.
          With all that I can't imagine myself going all over the net trying to
          keep up with a lot of websites when I can have all the stuff delivered
          into one mailbox.
          It was only recently that I created a Yahoo account just for the access
          to a file section. Which turned out to be a bit of a disappointment but
          thats beside the point.

          > In the case of the Louise Brooks Society's Yahoo Group, it
          > seems their Live Journal 'blog' gets more of the creative attention
          > which is a shame because you can share photos and files a lot
          > easier here.
          Things seem to focus on blogs these days. Scattering of information
          doesn't help making it easy to find.
          > When this was just the 'Coven' of Louise Brooks
          > there were short movie clips loaded to the files section.

          I suppose that bit of the action 'went' to youtube.

          > Unfortunately that site got deleted accidentally by a co-moderator
          > back in 2000 - hence the 'New Coven' label.

          Oh, drats. And no one made a backup of it I guess.

          Message 4 of 30 , Aug 10, 2008
            We do try to keep this site active given that there isn't much out
            there in the way of Louise Brooks news. And many of the photo
            files from the 'old' coven were saved and reloaded to the 'new
            coven'.

            Couldn't say for sure now since it's been a few years and there
            was a big transfer from the old eGroups system which got
            bought up by Yahoo some time ago. Not all that sure we had
            those video clip files in our group come to think of it. It's been 8
            years now... where does the time fly off to?
            Message 5 of 30 , Aug 13, 2008
              Oh dear! I remember that group(LBS) being so active at one point
              during the earlier part of the millenia. What a shame, really.

              > There are a little over 150 active members on our rolls and 8
              > more that Yahoo lists as "Bouncing".
              >
              > The Yahoo Group attached to the Louise Brooks Society has
              > over 1400 members but there hasn't been a posting there since
              > 2006
              >
              > Lulu in Cyberspace has about 230 members but their last
              > posting was over a year ago.
              >
              > So there's a bunch of Brooksfans out there...
              >
              > --- In thenewcovenoflouisebrooks@yahoogroups.com, Peter
              > <twilight@> wrote:
              >
              > > Actually.. all of you, I don't think there are a lot of us
              around, or
              > am
              > > I wrong?
              > > Met someone on the Jean Harlow group who was interested in
              > Brooksie as
              > > well but I'm not sure if he is a member of this grop as well.
              > >
              > > Peter

            • Peter
              Message 6 of 30 , Aug 13, 2008
                nutsaboutclara wrote:
                > Oh dear! I remember that group(LBS) being so active at one point
                > during the earlier part of the millenia. What a shame, really.
                >
                > -Dario.

                My experience is that these groups suffer from a bright spark
                occasionally, usually around certain dates.

                I predict a Carole Lombard group suddenly reviving within 6 weeks or so.
                (so.... yup its her centenary birthday: 6 october 1908)

                Maybe time for a nice spanning spine set of DVD covers. Hmm... lets see.

                Peter
                Message 7 of 30 , Aug 13, 2008
                  There was a nice surge of activity at our sister 'Coven' dedicated
                  to Ziegfeld follies and early flim star Olive Thomas when a DVD
                  of one of her last films came out and when her biography was
                  finally published.

                  Message 8 of 30 , Aug 15, 2008
                    I wonder if today's film buffs know anything about Carole Lombard for
                    there to be any interest in her centennial?

                    -Dario.

                    <twilight@...> wrote:

                    > nutsaboutclara wrote:
                    > > Oh dear! I remember that group(LBS) being so active at one point
                    > > during the earlier part of the millenia. What a shame, really.
                    > >
                    > > -Dario.
                    > >
                    > My experience is that these groups suffer from a bright spark
                    > occasionally, usually around certain dates.
                    >
                    > I predict a Carole Lombard group suddenly reviving within 6 weeks
                    or so.
                    > (so.... yup its her centenary birthday: 6 october 1908)
                    >
                    > Maybe time for a nice spanning spine set of DVD covers. Hmm... lets
                    see.

                    > Peter

                  • Melissa Staats
                    Message 9 of 30 , Aug 15, 2008
                      I adore Carole Lombard.
                      She's one my most favorites.
                      Melissa

                      <twilight@...> wrote:

                      > nutsaboutclara wrote:
                      > > Oh dear! I remember that group(LBS) being so active at one point
                      > > during the earlier part of the millenia. What a shame, really.
                      > >
                      > > -Dario.
                      > >
                      > My experience is that these groups suffer from a bright spark
                      > occasionally, usually around certain dates.
                      >
                      > I predict a Carole Lombard group suddenly reviving within 6 weeks
                      or so.
                      > (so.... yup its her centenary birthday: 6 october 1908)
                      >
                      > Maybe time for a nice spanning spine set of DVD covers. Hmm... lets
                      see.

                      > Peter

                    • Peter
                      Message 10 of 30 , Aug 15, 2008
                        nutsaboutclara wrote:
                        > I wonder if today's film buffs know anything about Carole Lombard for
                        > there to be any interest in her centennial?

                        Well probably with the real fans and I suppose with the DVD vendors.
                        There is already one 6-dvd pack available for her and with some luck
                        they will indeed release a CE set within the near future.
                        I have been counting and make it at least 12 DVDs that I have starring CL.
                        I made a quick 1st draft preview of the DVD case, you can have a look at
                        it over at my place:
                        *thetwilight zone.xs4all.nl/dvdpreviews*
                        Don't forget to remove the inserted space.
                        Its not exactly a full blown web page, just a short file listing so
                        don't expect flash animations or stuff like that :)

                        Message 11 of 30 , Aug 16, 2008
                          Good. It's nice to see Carole being appreciated in this day and age
                          with a DVD set in her honor.

                          -Dario.

                          Message 12 of 30 , Aug 16, 2008
                            She was also one of the great beauties in Hollywood history,
                            Melissa! Don't forget that!

                            -Dario.

                            --- In thenewcovenoflouisebrooks@yahoogroups.com, Melissa Staats
                            <johnfan1200@...> wrote:

                            > I adore Carole Lombard.
                            > She's one my most favorites.
                            > Melissa
                            >
                            > nutsaboutclara <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
                            > I wonder if today's film buffs know anything about Carole
                            Lombard for
                            > there to be any interest in her centennial?
                            >
                            > -Dario.
                            >
                            > --- In thenewcovenoflouisebrooks@yahoogroups.com, Peter
                            > <twilight@> wrote:
                            > >
                            > > nutsaboutclara wrote:
                            > > > Oh dear! I remember that group(LBS) being so active at one
                            point
                            > > > during the earlier part of the millenia. What a shame, really.
                            > > >
                            > > > -Dario.
                            > > >
                            > > My experience is that these groups suffer from a bright spark
                            > > occasionally, usually around certain dates.
                            > >
                            > > I predict a Carole Lombard group suddenly reviving within 6 weeks
                            > or so.
                            > > (so.... yup its her centenary birthday: 6 october 1908)
                            > >
                            > > Maybe time for a nice spanning spine set of DVD covers. Hmm...
                            lets
                            > see.
                            > >
                            > > Peter

                          • Melissa Staats
                            Message 13 of 30 , Aug 16, 2008
                              Yes she was.
                              She was such a great lady.
                              Too bad there isn't any good Yahoo groups for her.
                              It just makes me want to cry how she died. It was so sad.
                              I don't think Clark ever got over her death.
                              I think that they were soul mates.

                              Message 14 of 30 , Aug 18, 2008
                                Clara Bow's husband Rex Bell headed a search party when he spotted a
                                dark cloud of smoke in that late January of 1942, and had to break
                                the news to his friend Clark Gable. Gable was never the same after
                                that, despite the fact that he remarried.

                                <johnfan1200@...> wrote:

                                > Yes she was.
                                > She was such a great lady.
                                > Too bad there isn't any good Yahoo groups for her.
                                > It just makes me want to cry how she died. It was so sad.
                                > I don't think Clark ever got over her death.
                                > I think that they were soul mates.
                                > Melissa
                                >
                                > nutsaboutclara <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
                                > She was also one of the great beauties in Hollywood
                                history,
                                > Melissa! Don't forget that!
                                >
                                > -Dario.
                                >
                                > --- In thenewcovenoflouisebrooks@yahoogroups.com, Melissa Staats
                                > <johnfan1200@> wrote:
                                > >
                                > > I adore Carole Lombard.
                                > > She's one my most favorites.
                                > > Melissa
                                > >
                                > > nutsaboutclara <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
                                > > I wonder if today's film buffs know anything about Carole
                                > Lombard for
                                > > there to be any interest in her centennial?
                                > >
                                > > -Dario.
                                > >
                                > > --- In thenewcovenoflouisebrooks@yahoogroups.com, Peter
                                > > <twilight@> wrote:

                                > point

                                > > > My experience is that these groups suffer from a bright spark
                                > > > occasionally, usually around certain dates.
                                > > >
                                > > > I predict a Carole Lombard group suddenly reviving within 6
                                weeks
                                > > or so.
                                > > > (so.... yup its her centenary birthday: 6 october 1908)
                                > > >
                                > > > Maybe time for a nice spanning spine set of DVD covers. Hmm...
                                > lets
                                > > see.
                                > > >
                                > > > Peter

                              • Melissa Staats
                                Message 15 of 30 , Aug 18, 2008
                                  I bet it was hard to have to tell him.
                                  Your right Gable was never the same after that.
                                  As I said before I think that Clark and Carole were soul mates.
                                  The made a wonderful pair.

                                  Message 16 of 30 , Aug 20, 2008
                                    They were bananas for each other, Melissa. They were two very
                                    deeply in-love people.

                                    <johnfan1200@...> wrote:

                                    > I bet it was hard to have to tell him.
                                    > Your right Gable was never the same after that.
                                    > As I said before I think that Clark and Carole were soul mates.
                                    > The made a wonderful pair.
                                    > Melissa
                                    >
                                    > nutsaboutclara <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
                                    > Clara Bow's husband Rex Bell headed a search party when
                                    he spotted a
                                    > dark cloud of smoke in that late January of 1942, and had to break
                                    > the news to his friend Clark Gable. Gable was never the same after
                                    > that, despite the fact that he remarried.
                                    >
                                    > -Dario.
                                    >
                                    > --- In thenewcovenoflouisebrooks@yahoogroups.com, Melissa Staats
                                    > <johnfan1200@> wrote:
                                    > >
                                    > > Yes she was.
                                    > > She was such a great lady.
                                    > > Too bad there isn't any good Yahoo groups for her.
                                    > > It just makes me want to cry how she died. It was so sad.
                                    > > I don't think Clark ever got over her death.
                                    > > I think that they were soul mates.
                                    > > Melissa
                                    > >
                                    > > nutsaboutclara <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
                                    > > She was also one of the great beauties in Hollywood
                                    > history,
                                    > > Melissa! Don't forget that!
                                    > >
                                    > > -Dario.
                                    > >
                                    > > --- In thenewcovenoflouisebrooks@yahoogroups.com, Melissa Staats
                                    > > <johnfan1200@> wrote:
                                    > > >
                                    > > > I adore Carole Lombard.
                                    > > > She's one my most favorites.
                                    > > > Melissa
                                    > > >
                                    > > > nutsaboutclara <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
                                    > > > I wonder if today's film buffs know anything about Carole
                                    > > Lombard for
                                    > > > there to be any interest in her centennial?
                                    > > >
                                    > > > -Dario.
                                    > > >
                                    > > > --- In thenewcovenoflouisebrooks@yahoogroups.com, Peter

                                    > > point

                                    > weeks
                                    > > > or so.

                                    Hmm...
                                    > > lets
                                    > > > see.

                                  • Melissa Staats
                                    Message 17 of 30 , Aug 20, 2008
                                      Yes they were.
                                      I bet that if she wouldn't have died their marrage would have lasted.

                                      Message 18 of 30 , Aug 21, 2008
                                        True, very true.

                                        <johnfan1200@...> wrote:

                                        > Yes they were.
                                        > I bet that if she wouldn't have died their marrage would have
                                        lasted.
                                        > Melissa
                                        >
                                        > nutsaboutclara <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
                                        > They were bananas for each other, Melissa. They were two
                                        very
                                        > deeply in-love people.
                                        >
                                        > -Dario.
                                        >
                                        > --- In thenewcovenoflouisebrooks@yahoogroups.com, Melissa Staats
                                        > <johnfan1200@> wrote:
                                        > >
                                        > > I bet it was hard to have to tell him.
                                        > > Your right Gable was never the same after that.
                                        > > As I said before I think that Clark and Carole were soul mates.
                                        > > The made a wonderful pair.
                                        > > Melissa
                                        > >
                                        > > nutsaboutclara <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
                                        > > Clara Bow's husband Rex Bell headed a search party when
                                        > he spotted a
                                        > > dark cloud of smoke in that late January of 1942, and had to
                                        break
                                        > > the news to his friend Clark Gable. Gable was never the same
                                        after
                                        > > that, despite the fact that he remarried.
                                        > >
                                        > > -Dario.
                                        > >
                                        > > --- In thenewcovenoflouisebrooks@yahoogroups.com, Melissa Staats
                                        > > <johnfan1200@> wrote:
                                        > > >
                                        > > > Yes she was.
                                        > > > She was such a great lady.
                                        > > > Too bad there isn't any good Yahoo groups for her.
                                        > > > It just makes me want to cry how she died. It was so sad.
                                        > > > I don't think Clark ever got over her death.
                                        > > > I think that they were soul mates.
                                        > > > Melissa
                                        > > >
                                        > > > nutsaboutclara <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
                                        > > > She was also one of the great beauties in Hollywood
                                        > > history,
                                        > > > Melissa! Don't forget that!
                                        > > >
                                        > > > -Dario.
                                        > > >
                                        > > > --- In thenewcovenoflouisebrooks@yahoogroups.com, Melissa
                                        Staats

                                        > > > Lombard for

                                        > > > point
                                        > really.

                                        > spark

                                        > > weeks

                                        > Hmm...
                                        > > > lets

                                      • Peter
                                        Message 19 of 30 , Aug 21, 2008
                                          nutsaboutclara wrote:
                                          > True, very true.
                                          >
                                          > -Dario.

                                          Meanwhile.. back at the Lab :)

                                          I may have stirred something up I think. Not a bad thing actually.

                                          During the past few days I have been messing around with some photo
                                          editing software and the result can now be found at my website.
                                          http://thetwilightzone.xs4all.nl/dvdpreviews/index.html

                                          I turned it into a proper looking few pages tonight and added some more
                                          content.
                                          I welcome any input you people might have.

                                          Louise Brooks is there and so are Jean Harlow and Carole Lombard.
                                          And some others, albeit a nudge more off topic.

                                          Peter

                                          Message 20 of 30 , Aug 27, 2008
                                            Don't you mean, "Meanwhile, back at the BatCave...."

                                            -Dario.

                                            Message 21 of 30 , Sep 2, 2008
                                              Well we just closed on a hollowed-out volcano fortress on this
                                              island in the Pacific that's guarded by sharks with Frikkin™
                                              LASER beams attached to their heads...

                                              Got a good deal from Crocker Bank when Blofeld defaulted on
                                              the mortgage...

                                              nutsaboutclara <no_reply@...> wrote:

                                              > Don't you mean, "Meanwhile, back at the BatCave...."
                                              >
                                              > -Dario.
                                              >

                                              > --- In thenewcovenoflouisebrooks@yahoogroups.com, Peter
                                              > <twilight@> wrote:
                                              > >
                                              > > Meanwhile.. back at the Lab :)

                                            • Peter
                                              Message 22 of 30 , Sep 3, 2008
                                                Did that include the white cat as well ?

                                                Meanwhile.. I ran into Gods Gift To Women the other day.
                                                Haven't seen it yet but its one of her later movies and she's down to
                                                supporting roles.

                                                Simply ticking off titles here:

                                                Out of the 26 listed on the IMDB 2 of them had her scenes deleted.
                                                From those 24 I currently have:

                                                its the old army game
                                                the show off
                                                a girl in every port
                                                beggars of life
                                                the canary murder case
                                                tagebuch einer verlorene
                                                overland stage raiders
                                                gods gift to women
                                                die buchse der pandora

                                                which leaves out these 15 titles including two uncredited.

                                                1. When You're in Love <http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0029761/> (1937)
                                                (uncredited) .... Chorus Girl
                                                2. Empty Saddles <http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0027571/> (1936) ....
                                                'Boots' Boone
                                                3. Who's Who in the Zoo <http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0773181/> (1931)
                                                4. Windy Riley Goes Hollywood <http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0022565/>
                                                (1931) .... Betty Grey
                                                5. It Pays to Advertise <http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0022006/> (1931)
                                                .... Thelma Temple
                                                6. Prix de beauté (Miss Europe)
                                                <http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0021273/> (1930) .... Lucienne
                                                Garnier <http://www.imdb.com/character/ch0046931/>
                                                <http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0018737/>
                                                7. The City Gone Wild <http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0017755/> (1927)
                                                .... Snuggles Joy
                                                8. Now We're in the Air <http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0018211/> (1927)
                                                .... Griselle/Grisette
                                                9. Rolled Stockings <http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0018335/> (1927)
                                                .... Carol Fleming <http://www.imdb.com/character/ch0046932/>
                                                10. Evening Clothes <http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0017856/> (1927) ....
                                                Fox Trot
                                                11. Just Another Blonde <http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0017013/> (1926)
                                                .... Diana O'Sullivan
                                                12. A Social Celebrity <http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0017411/> (1926)
                                                .... Kitty Laverne <http://www.imdb.com/character/ch0046933/>
                                                13. Love 'Em and Leave 'Em <http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0017082/>
                                                (1926) .... Janie Walsh
                                                14. The American Venus <http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0016603/> (1926)
                                                .... Miss Bayport
                                                15. The Street of Forgotten Men <http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0016403/>
                                                (1925) (uncredited) .... A moll

                                                I'm almost sure Prix is available but what about the others?
                                                Anyone seen any of those around?

                                                Peter

                                                Which might mean I need to update the cover to a 10 or 12 case or make a
                                                second one.

                                                Message 23 of 30 , Sep 3, 2008
                                                  I'd seen Gods Gift on TCM a few years back but couldn't make out Brooksie in it.

                                                  I have the following movies on tape;

                                                  The Show Off (off air recording from TCM)
                                                  Beggars of Life (Grapevine edition)
                                                  Diary of a Lost Girl (Grapevine edition
                                                  Love 'em & Leave 'em (Grapevine edition)
                                                  Pandora's Box (Video Dimensions edition)

                                                  Also have the Hollywood Mysteries & Scandals premiere episode profiling Louise
                                                  Brooks as well as the TCM Louise Brooks documentary

                                                  Incedentally there was a syndicated game show in the the 90s called something like
                                                  'Grudge Match' that featured in its bumpers a show of Louise Brooks slapping some
                                                  dude. Looked like it might've come from 'A Social Celebrity' though I'm only going
                                                  from stills since I haven't seen that movie.

                                                  Might've also spotted similar clip in the intro to show 'Men Behaving Badly'...

                                                  Also... In the files section is an audio recording of Louise Brooks' commentary about
                                                  Clara Bow in the documentary series 'Hollywood'.

                                                • Melissa Staats
                                                  Message 24 of 30 , Sep 3, 2008
                                                    I've seem it once.
                                                    Melissa

                                                    olive_e_thomas <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
> [...]

                                                    > .... Miss Bayport
                                                    > 15. The Street of Forgotten Men <http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0016403/>
                                                    > (1925) (uncredited) .... A moll
                                                    >

                                                    > I'm almost sure Prix is available but what about the others?
                                                    > Anyone seen any of those around?
                                                    >
                                                    > Peter
                                                    >
                                                    > Which might mean I need to update the cover to a 10 or 12 case or make a
                                                    > second one.
                                                    >

                                                    > olive_e_thomas wrote:
                                                    > > Well we just closed on a hollowed-out volcano fortress on this
                                                    > > island in the Pacific that's guarded by sharks with Frikkin^(TM)
                                                    > > LASER beams attached to their heads...
                                                    > >
                                                    > > Got a good deal from Crocker Bank when Blofeld defaulted on
                                                    > > the mortgage...
                                                    > >
                                                    > > --- In thenewcovenoflouisebrooks@yahoogroups.com,
                                                    > > nutsaboutclara <no_reply@> wrote:
                                                    > >
                                                    > >> Don't you mean, "Meanwhile, back at the BatCave...."

                                                  • Peter
                                                    Message 25 of 30 , Sep 3, 2008
                                                      olive_e_thomas wrote:
                                                      > I'd seen Gods Gift on TCM a few years back but couldn't make out Brooksie in it.

                                                      I think she got 5th billing or thereabout. I think I noticed her in the
                                                      opening scene even although there were three women in that shot with the
                                                      same hairstyle :)

                                                      > I have the following movies on tape;
                                                      >
                                                      > The Show Off (off air recording from TCM)
                                                      > Beggars of Life (Grapevine edition)
                                                      > Diary of a Lost Girl (Grapevine edition
                                                      > Love 'em & Leave 'em (Grapevine edition)
                                                      > Pandora's Box (Video Dimensions edition)

                                                      Hm I have a couple 100 tapes stored, not sure if there is anything from
                                                      her on those actually. Loads of old stuff recorded from tv in the early
                                                      80s.

                                                      > Also have the Hollywood Mysteries & Scandals premiere episode profiling Louise
                                                      > Brooks as well as the TCM Louise Brooks documentary

                                                      No never heard of that. Mind you, there is no such thing as TCM here, at
                                                      least not anymore.
                                                      > Incedentally there was a syndicated game show in the the 90s called something like
                                                      > 'Grudge Match' that featured in its bumpers a show of Louise Brooks slapping some
                                                      > dude. Looked like it might've come from 'A Social Celebrity' though I'm only going
                                                      > from stills since I haven't seen that movie.

                                                      I don't know it by heart actually and I don't think we got many american
                                                      game shows on tv here.
                                                      Lots of other game shows though, most of them mass entertainment
                                                      actually, not worth much.
                                                      > Also... In the files section is an audio recording of Louise Brooks' commentary about
                                                      > Clara Bow in the documentary series 'Hollywood'.

                                                      Ah I got that set on vhs. Meant to get it on DVD when it got out but it
                                                      had a very short run I heard.
                                                      those copyright arguments are the death of silent film if you ask me.
                                                      Look what happened to Abel Gance's Napoleon and its two scores.

                                                      Message 26 of 30 , Sep 10, 2008
                                                        Olive, I heard the film is a real stinker. How bad is it, really?

                                                        > I'd seen Gods Gift on TCM a few years back but couldn't make out
                                                        Brooksie in it.

                                                        > I have the following movies on tape;
                                                        >
                                                        > The Show Off (off air recording from TCM)
                                                        > Beggars of Life (Grapevine edition)
                                                        > Diary of a Lost Girl (Grapevine edition
                                                        > Love 'em & Leave 'em (Grapevine edition)
                                                        > Pandora's Box (Video Dimensions edition)
                                                        >
                                                        > Also have the Hollywood Mysteries & Scandals premiere episode
                                                        profiling Louise
                                                        > Brooks as well as the TCM Louise Brooks documentary
                                                        >
                                                        > Incedentally there was a syndicated game show in the the 90s called
                                                        something like
                                                        > 'Grudge Match' that featured in its bumpers a show of Louise Brooks
                                                        slapping some
                                                        > dude. Looked like it might've come from 'A Social Celebrity' though
                                                        I'm only going
                                                        > from stills since I haven't seen that movie.
                                                        >
                                                        > Might've also spotted similar clip in the intro to show 'Men
                                                        Behaving Badly'...

                                                        > Also... In the files section is an audio recording of Louise
                                                        Brooks' commentary about
                                                        > Clara Bow in the documentary series 'Hollywood'.

                                                        .mp3

                                                        Message 27 of 30 , Sep 11, 2008
                                                          Like Rita Sever* used to say on the old Friday Night Videos
                                                          show...

                                                          OK, if you're desparate to see a movie...

                                                          * http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0005411/