Re: [The New Coven of Louise Brooks] Anniversary

    Message 1 of 30 , Aug 9, 2008
      There are a little over 150 active members on our rolls and 8
      more that Yahoo lists as "Bouncing".

      The Yahoo Group attached to the Louise Brooks Society has
      over 1400 members but there hasn't been a posting there since
      2006

      Lulu in Cyberspace has about 230 members but their last
      posting was over a year ago.

      So there's a bunch of Brooksfans out there...

      --- In thenewcovenoflouisebrooks@yahoogroups.com, Peter
      <twilight@...> wrote:

      > Actually.. all of you, I don't think there are a lot of us around, or
      am
      > I wrong?
      > Met someone on the Jean Harlow group who was interested in
      Brooksie as
      > well but I'm not sure if he is a member of this grop as well.
      >
      > Peter

    • Peter
      Message 2 of 30 , Aug 10, 2008
        olive_e_thomas wrote:
        > There are a little over 150 active members on our rolls and 8
        > more that Yahoo lists as "Bouncing".

        ah. I went over a ton of groups a while ago and found several to my likings.
        Unfortunately most of them appear to be as dead as a door nail.
        Maybe Y should do some house keeping on the lot. Weed out a few 1000
        groups that have no members or zero flow.
        Makes it easier for people to find interesting groups that do work.
        > The Yahoo Group attached to the Louise Brooks Society has
        > over 1400 members but there hasn't been a posting there since
        > 2006

        A dead group then, you'd expect at least someone on that one to have a
        thought of some sort regarding her.
        But not a single post in 2 years is not a good sign.
        > Lulu in Cyberspace has about 230 members but their last
        > posting was over a year ago.

        I was subscribed to that one as well. Not a single message indeed so I
        dropped that one pretty quick.
        Several others supposedly had a moderate flow but those turned out to be
        spam mails only.
        I have a zero tolerance for that, whenever I connect to a group and the
        first message I get turns out to be spam I unsubscribe immediately.
        One group even has the moderator spamming the moment you sign on: he
        then sends out two messages to you personally pushing the thoughts of
        some money hungry preacher on you. A minute after the unsubscribe
        message went out two identical messages arrived. What a nerd.

        > So there's a bunch of Brooksfans out there...

        Oh. no doubt about that but they are all so quiet. Same with the Jean
        Harlow group though and I can understand the reason but its a bit
        frustrating to see tons of groups with lots of members and zero flow.
        Even the newsgroups remain empty.

        But I do see a recurring fact, lost of those are about classic movie
        stars and although there are a lot of devoted fans around for them, they
        have little to say which might be because most of the 'subjects' have
        passed on.
        Closed book so to speak.

        Still.

        She's at #145 when searching for "Brooks" on the IMDB.
        Her starmeter there went up 10% since last week. I have no pro
        subscription but would be interested to know why and how that meter
        actually works.
        The message board on imdb is relatively active, 5 pages of posts, thats
        not too bad I guess.

        Has anyone seen that Lulu in Belin docu once ?
        Message 3 of 30 , Aug 10, 2008
          One of the advantages of a Yahoo Group is you get a lot of
          archive space for photographs so even 'dead' groups have their
          place.

          Often I think people start a group and after a while lose interest
          in the subject if no sort of critical mass is reached where the
          members keep up the interest.

          Or maybe the internet is changing and this sort of forum is out of
          style.

          In the case of the Louise Brooks Society's Yahoo Group, it
          seems their Live Journal 'blog' gets more of the creative attention
          which is a shame because you can share photos and files a lot
          easier here. When this was just the 'Coven' of Louise Brooks
          there were short movie clips loaded to the files section.
          Unfortunately that site got deleted accidentally by a co-moderator
          back in 2000 - hence the 'New Coven' label.

          Message 4 of 30 , Aug 10, 2008
            olive_e_thomas wrote:
            > One of the advantages of a Yahoo Group is you get a lot of
            > archive space for photographs so even 'dead' groups have their
            > place.

            thats true. But the internet is quite big and there are a lot of
            websites around for her.
            Shouldn't be too hard to find a good place for those.
            > Often I think people start a group and after a while lose interest
            > in the subject if no sort of critical mass is reached where the
            > members keep up the interest.

            That would seem to be the case, yes. I see lots of groups with less then
            5 members. before I paid attention to that fact I subscribed to one and
            the other day I noticed that the group had one active member. That would
            be me then. So.. Byee.

            > Or maybe the internet is changing and this sort of forum is out of
            > style.

            I can't imagine why it would. At least not for me the older generation
            perhaps; I have been subscribing to various mailing lists over the past
            decade and that has changed to yahoo groups over time. Some might
            remember Topica.com.
            With all that I can't imagine myself going all over the net trying to
            keep up with a lot of websites when I can have all the stuff delivered
            into one mailbox.
            It was only recently that I created a Yahoo account just for the access
            to a file section. Which turned out to be a bit of a disappointment but
            thats beside the point.

            > In the case of the Louise Brooks Society's Yahoo Group, it
            > seems their Live Journal 'blog' gets more of the creative attention
            > which is a shame because you can share photos and files a lot
            > easier here.
            Things seem to focus on blogs these days. Scattering of information
            doesn't help making it easy to find.
            > When this was just the 'Coven' of Louise Brooks
            > there were short movie clips loaded to the files section.

            I suppose that bit of the action 'went' to youtube.

            > Unfortunately that site got deleted accidentally by a co-moderator
            > back in 2000 - hence the 'New Coven' label.

            Oh, drats. And no one made a backup of it I guess.

            Message 5 of 30 , Aug 10, 2008
              We do try to keep this site active given that there isn't much out
              there in the way of Louise Brooks news. And many of the photo
              files from the 'old' coven were saved and reloaded to the 'new
              coven'.

              Couldn't say for sure now since it's been a few years and there
              was a big transfer from the old eGroups system which got
              bought up by Yahoo some time ago. Not all that sure we had
              those video clip files in our group come to think of it. It's been 8
              years now... where does the time fly off to?
              Message 6 of 30 , Aug 13, 2008
                Oh dear! I remember that group(LBS) being so active at one point
                during the earlier part of the millenia. What a shame, really.

                > There are a little over 150 active members on our rolls and 8
                > more that Yahoo lists as "Bouncing".
                >
                > The Yahoo Group attached to the Louise Brooks Society has
                > over 1400 members but there hasn't been a posting there since
                > 2006
                >
                > Lulu in Cyberspace has about 230 members but their last
                > posting was over a year ago.
                >
                > So there's a bunch of Brooksfans out there...
                >
                > --- In thenewcovenoflouisebrooks@yahoogroups.com, Peter
                > <twilight@> wrote:
                >
                > > Actually.. all of you, I don't think there are a lot of us
                around, or
                > am
                > > I wrong?
                > > Met someone on the Jean Harlow group who was interested in
                > Brooksie as
                > > well but I'm not sure if he is a member of this grop as well.
                > >
                > > Peter

              • Peter
                Message 7 of 30 , Aug 13, 2008
                  nutsaboutclara wrote:
                  > Oh dear! I remember that group(LBS) being so active at one point
                  > during the earlier part of the millenia. What a shame, really.
                  >
                  > -Dario.

                  My experience is that these groups suffer from a bright spark
                  occasionally, usually around certain dates.

                  I predict a Carole Lombard group suddenly reviving within 6 weeks or so.
                  (so.... yup its her centenary birthday: 6 october 1908)

                  Maybe time for a nice spanning spine set of DVD covers. Hmm... lets see.

                  Peter
                  Message 8 of 30 , Aug 13, 2008
                    There was a nice surge of activity at our sister 'Coven' dedicated
                    to Ziegfeld follies and early flim star Olive Thomas when a DVD
                    of one of her last films came out and when her biography was
                    finally published.

                    Message 9 of 30 , Aug 15, 2008
                      I wonder if today's film buffs know anything about Carole Lombard for
                      there to be any interest in her centennial?

                      -Dario.

                      <twilight@...> wrote:

                      > nutsaboutclara wrote:
                      > > Oh dear! I remember that group(LBS) being so active at one point
                      > > during the earlier part of the millenia. What a shame, really.
                      > >
                      > > -Dario.
                      > >
                      > My experience is that these groups suffer from a bright spark
                      > occasionally, usually around certain dates.
                      >
                      > I predict a Carole Lombard group suddenly reviving within 6 weeks
                      or so.
                      > (so.... yup its her centenary birthday: 6 october 1908)
                      >
                      > Maybe time for a nice spanning spine set of DVD covers. Hmm... lets
                      see.

                      > Peter

                    • Melissa Staats
                      Message 10 of 30 , Aug 15, 2008
                        I adore Carole Lombard.
                        She's one my most favorites.
                        Melissa

                        <twilight@...> wrote:

                        > nutsaboutclara wrote:
                        > > Oh dear! I remember that group(LBS) being so active at one point
                        > > during the earlier part of the millenia. What a shame, really.
                        > >
                        > > -Dario.
                        > >
                        > My experience is that these groups suffer from a bright spark
                        > occasionally, usually around certain dates.
                        >
                        > I predict a Carole Lombard group suddenly reviving within 6 weeks
                        or so.
                        > (so.... yup its her centenary birthday: 6 october 1908)
                        >
                        > Maybe time for a nice spanning spine set of DVD covers. Hmm... lets
                        see.

                        > Peter

                      • Peter
                        Message 11 of 30 , Aug 15, 2008
                          nutsaboutclara wrote:
                          > I wonder if today's film buffs know anything about Carole Lombard for
                          > there to be any interest in her centennial?

                          Well probably with the real fans and I suppose with the DVD vendors.
                          There is already one 6-dvd pack available for her and with some luck
                          they will indeed release a CE set within the near future.
                          I have been counting and make it at least 12 DVDs that I have starring CL.
                          I made a quick 1st draft preview of the DVD case, you can have a look at
                          it over at my place:
                          *thetwilight zone.xs4all.nl/dvdpreviews*
                          Don't forget to remove the inserted space.
                          Its not exactly a full blown web page, just a short file listing so
                          don't expect flash animations or stuff like that :)

                          Message 12 of 30 , Aug 16, 2008
                            Good. It's nice to see Carole being appreciated in this day and age
                            with a DVD set in her honor.

                            -Dario.

                            Message 13 of 30 , Aug 16, 2008
                              She was also one of the great beauties in Hollywood history,
                              Melissa! Don't forget that!

                              -Dario.

                              --- In thenewcovenoflouisebrooks@yahoogroups.com, Melissa Staats
                              <johnfan1200@...> wrote:

                              > I adore Carole Lombard.
                              > She's one my most favorites.
                              > Melissa
                              >
                              > nutsaboutclara <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
                              > I wonder if today's film buffs know anything about Carole
                              Lombard for
                              > there to be any interest in her centennial?
                              >
                              > -Dario.
                              >
                              > --- In thenewcovenoflouisebrooks@yahoogroups.com, Peter
                              > <twilight@> wrote:
                              > >
                              > > nutsaboutclara wrote:
                              > > > Oh dear! I remember that group(LBS) being so active at one
                              point
                              > > > during the earlier part of the millenia. What a shame, really.
                              > > >
                              > > > -Dario.
                              > > >
                              > > My experience is that these groups suffer from a bright spark
                              > > occasionally, usually around certain dates.
                              > >
                              > > I predict a Carole Lombard group suddenly reviving within 6 weeks
                              > or so.
                              > > (so.... yup its her centenary birthday: 6 october 1908)
                              > >
                              > > Maybe time for a nice spanning spine set of DVD covers. Hmm...
                              lets
                              > see.
                              > >
                              > > Peter

                            • Melissa Staats
                              Message 14 of 30 , Aug 16, 2008
                                Yes she was.
                                She was such a great lady.
                                Too bad there isn't any good Yahoo groups for her.
                                It just makes me want to cry how she died. It was so sad.
                                I don't think Clark ever got over her death.
                                I think that they were soul mates.

                                Message 15 of 30 , Aug 18, 2008
                                  Clara Bow's husband Rex Bell headed a search party when he spotted a
                                  dark cloud of smoke in that late January of 1942, and had to break
                                  the news to his friend Clark Gable. Gable was never the same after
                                  that, despite the fact that he remarried.

                                  <johnfan1200@...> wrote:

                                  > Yes she was.
                                  > She was such a great lady.
                                  > Too bad there isn't any good Yahoo groups for her.
                                  > It just makes me want to cry how she died. It was so sad.
                                  > I don't think Clark ever got over her death.
                                  > I think that they were soul mates.
                                  > Melissa
                                  >
                                  > nutsaboutclara <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
                                  > She was also one of the great beauties in Hollywood
                                  history,
                                  > Melissa! Don't forget that!
                                  >
                                  > -Dario.
                                  >
                                  > --- In thenewcovenoflouisebrooks@yahoogroups.com, Melissa Staats
                                  > <johnfan1200@> wrote:
                                  > >
                                  > > I adore Carole Lombard.
                                  > > She's one my most favorites.
                                  > > Melissa
                                  > >
                                  > > nutsaboutclara <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
                                  > > I wonder if today's film buffs know anything about Carole
                                  > Lombard for
                                  > > there to be any interest in her centennial?
                                  > >
                                  > > -Dario.
                                  > >
                                  > > --- In thenewcovenoflouisebrooks@yahoogroups.com, Peter
                                  > > <twilight@> wrote:

                                  > point

                                  > > > My experience is that these groups suffer from a bright spark
                                  > > > occasionally, usually around certain dates.
                                  > > >
                                  > > > I predict a Carole Lombard group suddenly reviving within 6
                                  weeks
                                  > > or so.
                                  > > > (so.... yup its her centenary birthday: 6 october 1908)
                                  > > >
                                  > > > Maybe time for a nice spanning spine set of DVD covers. Hmm...
                                  > lets
                                  > > see.
                                  > > >
                                  > > > Peter

                                • Melissa Staats
                                  Message 16 of 30 , Aug 18, 2008
                                    I bet it was hard to have to tell him.
                                    Your right Gable was never the same after that.
                                    As I said before I think that Clark and Carole were soul mates.
                                    The made a wonderful pair.

                                    Message 17 of 30 , Aug 20, 2008
                                      They were bananas for each other, Melissa. They were two very
                                      deeply in-love people.

                                      <johnfan1200@...> wrote:

                                      > I bet it was hard to have to tell him.
                                      > Your right Gable was never the same after that.
                                      > As I said before I think that Clark and Carole were soul mates.
                                      > The made a wonderful pair.
                                      > Melissa
                                      >
                                      > nutsaboutclara <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
                                      > Clara Bow's husband Rex Bell headed a search party when
                                      he spotted a
                                      > dark cloud of smoke in that late January of 1942, and had to break
                                      > the news to his friend Clark Gable. Gable was never the same after
                                      > that, despite the fact that he remarried.
                                      >
                                      > -Dario.
                                      >
                                      > --- In thenewcovenoflouisebrooks@yahoogroups.com, Melissa Staats
                                      > <johnfan1200@> wrote:
                                      > >
                                      > > Yes she was.
                                      > > She was such a great lady.
                                      > > Too bad there isn't any good Yahoo groups for her.
                                      > > It just makes me want to cry how she died. It was so sad.
                                      > > I don't think Clark ever got over her death.
                                      > > I think that they were soul mates.
                                      > > Melissa
                                      > >
                                      > > nutsaboutclara <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
                                      > > She was also one of the great beauties in Hollywood
                                      > history,
                                      > > Melissa! Don't forget that!
                                      > >
                                      > > -Dario.
                                      > >
                                      > > --- In thenewcovenoflouisebrooks@yahoogroups.com, Melissa Staats
                                      > > <johnfan1200@> wrote:
                                      > > >
                                      > > > I adore Carole Lombard.
                                      > > > She's one my most favorites.
                                      > > > Melissa
                                      > > >
                                      > > > nutsaboutclara <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
                                      > > > I wonder if today's film buffs know anything about Carole
                                      > > Lombard for
                                      > > > there to be any interest in her centennial?
                                      > > >
                                      > > > -Dario.
                                      > > >
                                      > > > --- In thenewcovenoflouisebrooks@yahoogroups.com, Peter

                                      > > point

                                      > weeks
                                      > > > or so.

                                      Hmm...
                                      > > lets
                                      > > > see.

                                    • Melissa Staats
                                      Message 18 of 30 , Aug 20, 2008
                                        Yes they were.
                                        I bet that if she wouldn't have died their marrage would have lasted.

                                        Message 19 of 30 , Aug 21, 2008
                                          True, very true.

                                          <johnfan1200@...> wrote:

                                          > Yes they were.
                                          > I bet that if she wouldn't have died their marrage would have
                                          lasted.
                                          > Melissa
                                          >
                                          > nutsaboutclara <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
                                          > They were bananas for each other, Melissa. They were two
                                          very
                                          > deeply in-love people.
                                          >
                                          > -Dario.
                                          >
                                          > --- In thenewcovenoflouisebrooks@yahoogroups.com, Melissa Staats
                                          > <johnfan1200@> wrote:
                                          > >
                                          > > I bet it was hard to have to tell him.
                                          > > Your right Gable was never the same after that.
                                          > > As I said before I think that Clark and Carole were soul mates.
                                          > > The made a wonderful pair.
                                          > > Melissa
                                          > >
                                          > > nutsaboutclara <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
                                          > > Clara Bow's husband Rex Bell headed a search party when
                                          > he spotted a
                                          > > dark cloud of smoke in that late January of 1942, and had to
                                          break
                                          > > the news to his friend Clark Gable. Gable was never the same
                                          after
                                          > > that, despite the fact that he remarried.
                                          > >
                                          > > -Dario.
                                          > >
                                          > > --- In thenewcovenoflouisebrooks@yahoogroups.com, Melissa Staats
                                          > > <johnfan1200@> wrote:
                                          > > >
                                          > > > Yes she was.
                                          > > > She was such a great lady.
                                          > > > Too bad there isn't any good Yahoo groups for her.
                                          > > > It just makes me want to cry how she died. It was so sad.
                                          > > > I don't think Clark ever got over her death.
                                          > > > I think that they were soul mates.
                                          > > > Melissa
                                          > > >
                                          > > > nutsaboutclara <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
                                          > > > She was also one of the great beauties in Hollywood
                                          > > history,
                                          > > > Melissa! Don't forget that!
                                          > > >
                                          > > > -Dario.
                                          > > >
                                          > > > --- In thenewcovenoflouisebrooks@yahoogroups.com, Melissa
                                          Staats

                                          > > > Lombard for

                                          > > > point
                                          > really.

                                          > spark

                                          > > weeks

                                          > Hmm...
                                          > > > lets

                                        • Peter
                                          Message 20 of 30 , Aug 21, 2008
                                            nutsaboutclara wrote:
                                            > True, very true.
                                            >
                                            > -Dario.

                                            Meanwhile.. back at the Lab :)

                                            I may have stirred something up I think. Not a bad thing actually.

                                            During the past few days I have been messing around with some photo
                                            editing software and the result can now be found at my website.
                                            http://thetwilightzone.xs4all.nl/dvdpreviews/index.html

                                            I turned it into a proper looking few pages tonight and added some more
                                            content.
                                            I welcome any input you people might have.

                                            Louise Brooks is there and so are Jean Harlow and Carole Lombard.
                                            And some others, albeit a nudge more off topic.

                                            Peter

                                            Message 21 of 30 , Aug 27, 2008
                                              Don't you mean, "Meanwhile, back at the BatCave...."

                                              -Dario.

                                              Message 22 of 30 , Sep 2, 2008
                                                Well we just closed on a hollowed-out volcano fortress on this
                                                island in the Pacific that's guarded by sharks with Frikkin™
                                                LASER beams attached to their heads...

                                                Got a good deal from Crocker Bank when Blofeld defaulted on
                                                the mortgage...

                                                nutsaboutclara <no_reply@...> wrote:

                                                > Don't you mean, "Meanwhile, back at the BatCave...."
                                                >
                                                > -Dario.
                                                >

                                                > --- In thenewcovenoflouisebrooks@yahoogroups.com, Peter
                                                > <twilight@> wrote:
                                                > >
                                                > > Meanwhile.. back at the Lab :)

                                              • Peter
                                                Message 23 of 30 , Sep 3, 2008
                                                  Did that include the white cat as well ?

                                                  Meanwhile.. I ran into Gods Gift To Women the other day.
                                                  Haven't seen it yet but its one of her later movies and she's down to
                                                  supporting roles.

                                                  Simply ticking off titles here:

                                                  Out of the 26 listed on the IMDB 2 of them had her scenes deleted.
                                                  From those 24 I currently have:

                                                  its the old army game
                                                  the show off
                                                  a girl in every port
                                                  beggars of life
                                                  the canary murder case
                                                  tagebuch einer verlorene
                                                  overland stage raiders
                                                  gods gift to women
                                                  die buchse der pandora

                                                  which leaves out these 15 titles including two uncredited.

                                                  1. When You're in Love <http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0029761/> (1937)
                                                  (uncredited) .... Chorus Girl
                                                  2. Empty Saddles <http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0027571/> (1936) ....
                                                  'Boots' Boone
                                                  3. Who's Who in the Zoo <http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0773181/> (1931)
                                                  4. Windy Riley Goes Hollywood <http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0022565/>
                                                  (1931) .... Betty Grey
                                                  5. It Pays to Advertise <http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0022006/> (1931)
                                                  .... Thelma Temple
                                                  6. Prix de beauté (Miss Europe)
                                                  <http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0021273/> (1930) .... Lucienne
                                                  Garnier <http://www.imdb.com/character/ch0046931/>
                                                  <http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0018737/>
                                                  7. The City Gone Wild <http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0017755/> (1927)
                                                  .... Snuggles Joy
                                                  8. Now We're in the Air <http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0018211/> (1927)
                                                  .... Griselle/Grisette
                                                  9. Rolled Stockings <http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0018335/> (1927)
                                                  .... Carol Fleming <http://www.imdb.com/character/ch0046932/>
                                                  10. Evening Clothes <http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0017856/> (1927) ....
                                                  Fox Trot
                                                  11. Just Another Blonde <http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0017013/> (1926)
                                                  .... Diana O'Sullivan
                                                  12. A Social Celebrity <http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0017411/> (1926)
                                                  .... Kitty Laverne <http://www.imdb.com/character/ch0046933/>
                                                  13. Love 'Em and Leave 'Em <http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0017082/>
                                                  (1926) .... Janie Walsh
                                                  14. The American Venus <http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0016603/> (1926)
                                                  .... Miss Bayport
                                                  15. The Street of Forgotten Men <http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0016403/>
                                                  (1925) (uncredited) .... A moll

                                                  I'm almost sure Prix is available but what about the others?
                                                  Anyone seen any of those around?

                                                  Peter

                                                  Which might mean I need to update the cover to a 10 or 12 case or make a
                                                  second one.

                                                  Message 24 of 30 , Sep 3, 2008
                                                    I'd seen Gods Gift on TCM a few years back but couldn't make out Brooksie in it.

                                                    I have the following movies on tape;

                                                    The Show Off (off air recording from TCM)
                                                    Beggars of Life (Grapevine edition)
                                                    Diary of a Lost Girl (Grapevine edition
                                                    Love 'em & Leave 'em (Grapevine edition)
                                                    Pandora's Box (Video Dimensions edition)

                                                    Also have the Hollywood Mysteries & Scandals premiere episode profiling Louise
                                                    Brooks as well as the TCM Louise Brooks documentary

                                                    Incedentally there was a syndicated game show in the the 90s called something like
                                                    'Grudge Match' that featured in its bumpers a show of Louise Brooks slapping some
                                                    dude. Looked like it might've come from 'A Social Celebrity' though I'm only going
                                                    from stills since I haven't seen that movie.

                                                    Might've also spotted similar clip in the intro to show 'Men Behaving Badly'...

                                                    Also... In the files section is an audio recording of Louise Brooks' commentary about
                                                    Clara Bow in the documentary series 'Hollywood'.

                                                  • Melissa Staats
                                                    Message 25 of 30 , Sep 3, 2008
                                                      I've seem it once.
                                                      Melissa

                                                      olive_e_thomas <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
> [...]

                                                      > .... Miss Bayport
                                                      > 15. The Street of Forgotten Men <http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0016403/>
                                                      > (1925) (uncredited) .... A moll
                                                      >

                                                      > I'm almost sure Prix is available but what about the others?
                                                      > Anyone seen any of those around?
                                                      >
                                                      > Peter
                                                      >
                                                      > Which might mean I need to update the cover to a 10 or 12 case or make a
                                                      > second one.
                                                      >

                                                      > olive_e_thomas wrote:
                                                      > > Well we just closed on a hollowed-out volcano fortress on this
                                                      > > island in the Pacific that's guarded by sharks with Frikkin^(TM)
                                                      > > LASER beams attached to their heads...
                                                      > >
                                                      > > Got a good deal from Crocker Bank when Blofeld defaulted on
                                                      > > the mortgage...
                                                      > >
                                                      > > --- In thenewcovenoflouisebrooks@yahoogroups.com,
                                                      > > nutsaboutclara <no_reply@> wrote:
                                                      > >
                                                      > >> Don't you mean, "Meanwhile, back at the BatCave...."

                                                    • Peter
                                                      Message 26 of 30 , Sep 3, 2008
                                                        olive_e_thomas wrote:
                                                        > I'd seen Gods Gift on TCM a few years back but couldn't make out Brooksie in it.

                                                        I think she got 5th billing or thereabout. I think I noticed her in the
                                                        opening scene even although there were three women in that shot with the
                                                        same hairstyle :)

                                                        > I have the following movies on tape;
                                                        >
                                                        > The Show Off (off air recording from TCM)
                                                        > Beggars of Life (Grapevine edition)
                                                        > Diary of a Lost Girl (Grapevine edition
                                                        > Love 'em & Leave 'em (Grapevine edition)
                                                        > Pandora's Box (Video Dimensions edition)

                                                        Hm I have a couple 100 tapes stored, not sure if there is anything from
                                                        her on those actually. Loads of old stuff recorded from tv in the early
                                                        80s.

                                                        > Also have the Hollywood Mysteries & Scandals premiere episode profiling Louise
                                                        > Brooks as well as the TCM Louise Brooks documentary

                                                        No never heard of that. Mind you, there is no such thing as TCM here, at
                                                        least not anymore.
                                                        > Incedentally there was a syndicated game show in the the 90s called something like
                                                        > 'Grudge Match' that featured in its bumpers a show of Louise Brooks slapping some
                                                        > dude. Looked like it might've come from 'A Social Celebrity' though I'm only going
                                                        > from stills since I haven't seen that movie.

                                                        I don't know it by heart actually and I don't think we got many american
                                                        game shows on tv here.
                                                        Lots of other game shows though, most of them mass entertainment
                                                        actually, not worth much.
                                                        > Also... In the files section is an audio recording of Louise Brooks' commentary about
                                                        > Clara Bow in the documentary series 'Hollywood'.

                                                        Ah I got that set on vhs. Meant to get it on DVD when it got out but it
                                                        had a very short run I heard.
                                                        those copyright arguments are the death of silent film if you ask me.
                                                        Look what happened to Abel Gance's Napoleon and its two scores.

                                                        Message 27 of 30 , Sep 10, 2008
                                                          Olive, I heard the film is a real stinker. How bad is it, really?

                                                          > I'd seen Gods Gift on TCM a few years back but couldn't make out
                                                          Brooksie in it.

                                                          > I have the following movies on tape;
                                                          >
                                                          > The Show Off (off air recording from TCM)
                                                          > Beggars of Life (Grapevine edition)
                                                          > Diary of a Lost Girl (Grapevine edition
                                                          > Love 'em & Leave 'em (Grapevine edition)
                                                          > Pandora's Box (Video Dimensions edition)
                                                          >
                                                          > Also have the Hollywood Mysteries & Scandals premiere episode
                                                          profiling Louise
                                                          > Brooks as well as the TCM Louise Brooks documentary
                                                          >
                                                          > Incedentally there was a syndicated game show in the the 90s called
                                                          something like
                                                          > 'Grudge Match' that featured in its bumpers a show of Louise Brooks
                                                          slapping some
                                                          > dude. Looked like it might've come from 'A Social Celebrity' though
                                                          I'm only going
                                                          > from stills since I haven't seen that movie.
                                                          >
                                                          > Might've also spotted similar clip in the intro to show 'Men
                                                          Behaving Badly'...

                                                          > Also... In the files section is an audio recording of Louise
                                                          Brooks' commentary about
                                                          > Clara Bow in the documentary series 'Hollywood'.

                                                          .mp3

                                                          Message 28 of 30 , Sep 11, 2008
                                                            Like Rita Sever* used to say on the old Friday Night Videos
                                                            show...

                                                            OK, if you're desparate to see a movie...

                                                            * http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0005411/