Re: [The New Coven of Louise Brooks] "God's Gift to Women"

    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 31, 2007
      Brooksie was unofficially blacklisted from Hollywood, beginning in
      1928, when Ben Schulberg, the man who discovered Clara Bow, tried to
      negociate a pay increase right in the middle of her five-year
      contract to Paramount Pictures. According to Brooksie herself, she
      basically told Paramount to stuff it, because she was being given
      routine programmers to do, and, the studio simply just didn't know
      what to do with her because fitted no category at all.

      -Dario.

      --- In thenewcovenoflouisebrooks@yahoogroups.com, SMILEYJEN1@...
      wrote:

      > First of all, congrats on seeing a more obscure Brooksie title.
      *smiles*

      > Was that the movie where she felt dragged through the mud because
      she
      > refused to sleep with the star? I'm recalling her saying Frank Fay
      took
      > her on a trip to hell...
      >
      > In general, Hollywood was seeking retribution, and found ways to do
      it at
      > every turn.
      >
      > Regards,
      > Jennifer ^_^

    • Harry Kollatz
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 1, 2007
        Harry Kollatz
        Senior Writer
        Richmond Magazine
        2201 W. Broad St. Suite 105
        Richmond, VA 23220
        (804) 355-0111 x 317
        Fax: (804) 355-8939

        Greetings all:

        God's Gift To Women is a sprightly 1930s comedy of manners with
        splendid Deco sets, a young and vivacious Joan Blondell and, of
        course, Our Lady, whose hair style is swept off her forehead while
        all the other women around her sport the bob that she made famous.
        Typical Louise; she was a trend maker, not a follower, and after all,
        she'd worn her hair in that manner since before leaving Wichita.
        Times and styles had changed by the time GGTW was made.

        Portions of the film were screened here in Richmond, Va., as
        part of the 2005 Lulupalooza at the Firehouse Theater. It was one of
        several film excerpts used for "Brunch With Brooksie" on the Sunday
        of the two-day event. Seeing it reminded us that even a otherwise
        forgettable picture of the 1930s had better writing than many films
        today. That Frank Fay's character was strangely nick named"Toto"--
        like the dog in The Wizard of Oz-- didn't seem to bother anybody at
        the time and may have been a pun.

        My favorite scenes are the catfight on Toto's bed between Louise,
        Blondell, and a third woman.

        There's a few exchanges that remind me of the lyrical quality of
        some of these older films. One of their husbands is seen arriving at
        the hotel and they ask in roundelay fashiohn: "Is he fat?" "Is he
        angry?" 'Is he bald?"

        To which Toto's manservant replies , "Yes! He's crazy and he's
        got a gun!"

        Speaking of Louise's hair; there was that brief experiment with
        marcelled waves that Pabst put her in at the dive bar she and the
        Countess Geschwitz go to. It is a jarring difference from the sleek
        black helmet, but she looks mighty fine, as she did wearing almost
        anything, including men's clothes in Beggars of Life.

        I don't recall--I'd have look it up in the Good Book by Paris--
        that Fay gave Louise a difficult time. Richard Arlen in BOL was
        outright rude and abusive. He was also fond of claiming he was a
        World War I aviator. Louise didn't much care for Arlen's acting, nor
        he as a person, and at one point she called him on his aviator boast.
        She found it difficult to believe that if he was born in 1900 that he
        flew a plane in a war that ended in 1918. This tweaked Arlen's ego
        and he insulted her by shouting that she didn't have any talent,
        wasn't all that good-looking and that her eyes were too close together.

        This was the same picture in which she invited a stunt man into
        her bed, then the next day, before the entire cast, in a loud voice
        asked her if she had syphilis. It was one of her most humiliating
        moments in public, maybe up there with getting kicked out of Denishawn.

        --HEK

        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 1, 2007
          --- In thenewcovenoflouisebrooks@yahoogroups.com, Harry
          Kollatz <harryk@...> wrote:

          Oh to have been able to Quantum Leap into Brooksie for that
          moment.

          I would've answered in peeved Valley Girl style, "Ummm... Yeah!
          Thought you knew that already!"