[The New Coven of Louise Brooks] "God's Gift to Women"

  • SMILEYJEN1@JUNO.COM
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 29, 2007
      First of all, congrats on seeing a more obscure Brooksie title. *smiles*

      Was that the movie where she felt dragged through the mud because she
      refused to sleep with the star? I'm recalling her saying Frank Fay took
      her on a trip to hell...

      In general, Hollywood was seeking retribution, and found ways to do it at
      every turn.

      Regards,
      Jennifer ^_^
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 30, 2007
        Tell me Turner Classic Movies didn't just run that and I missed it!
        Arrrrgggghhh!

        --- In thenewcovenoflouisebrooks@yahoogroups.com, "Chuck
        Golden" <bagnoli2@...> wrote:

        > Hi, folks.
        >
        > I just watched "God's Gift to Women" for the first time and one
        thing
        > really struck me. Louise played her role with her hair combed
        back but
        > with the side curls. Many of the party girls and flibertygibets
        wore
        > their black hair in the classic Brooks bob, bangs and all. Has
        anybody
        > heard Louise comment on this? What she thought about it,
        what she
        > felt, etc.? To my way of thinking, this had to be at least a mild
        slap
        > for her in that the loose girls were still wearing the trademark
        > hairstyle that made her famous, and which defined the
        twenties in many
        > ways, and now she herself was relegated to playing a minor
        role in this
        > silly little film, in a rather unremarkable and unflattering
        hairstyle.

      • Chuck Golden
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 30, 2007
          Actually, I bought it online. But it sport a big ol' TCM logo in the
          corner now and then. Didn't know that beforehand. I assume that the
          film's in the public domain now, but I have grave doubts about the
          TCM logo...

          CG.

          > Tell me Turner Classic Movies didn't just run that and I missed it!
          > Arrrrgggghhh!
          >

          > --- In thenewcovenoflouisebrooks@yahoogroups.com, "Chuck
          > Golden" <bagnoli2@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hi, folks.
          > >
          > > I just watched "God's Gift to Women" for the first time and one
          > thing
          > > really struck me. Louise played her role with her hair combed
          > back but
          > > with the side curls. Many of the party girls and flibertygibets
          > wore
          > > their black hair in the classic Brooks bob, bangs and all. Has
          > anybody
          > > heard Louise comment on this? What she thought about it,
          > what she
          > > felt, etc.? To my way of thinking, this had to be at least a
          mild
          > slap
          > > for her in that the loose girls were still wearing the trademark
          > > hairstyle that made her famous, and which defined the
          > twenties in many
          > > ways, and now she herself was relegated to playing a minor
          > role in this
          > > silly little film, in a rather unremarkable and unflattering
          > hairstyle.

        • Chuck Golden
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 30, 2007
            Could have been. I need to break out the Barry Paris and check once
            I'm off the road. It wasn't a ...bad... part, but by no means a great
            one. It's too bad that she couldn't have made all of her post Diary
            films with Pabst, he got something out of her that nobody else could.
            She really did need strong direction and Pabst was just that director.

            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 31, 2007
              I do know it ran on TCM a couple years ago so if the movie is
              sporting a TCM logo while playing you likely got a bootleg
              recording.

              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 31, 2007
                Brooksie was unofficially blacklisted from Hollywood, beginning in
                1928, when Ben Schulberg, the man who discovered Clara Bow, tried to
                negociate a pay increase right in the middle of her five-year
                contract to Paramount Pictures. According to Brooksie herself, she
                basically told Paramount to stuff it, because she was being given
                routine programmers to do, and, the studio simply just didn't know
                what to do with her because fitted no category at all.

                -Dario.

                wrote:

                > First of all, congrats on seeing a more obscure Brooksie title.
                *smiles*

                > Was that the movie where she felt dragged through the mud because
                she
                > refused to sleep with the star? I'm recalling her saying Frank Fay
                took
                > her on a trip to hell...
                >
                > In general, Hollywood was seeking retribution, and found ways to do
                it at
                > every turn.
                >
                > Regards,
                > Jennifer ^_^

              • Harry Kollatz
                Message 7 of 9 , Nov 1, 2007
                  Harry Kollatz
                  Senior Writer
                  Richmond Magazine
                  2201 W. Broad St. Suite 105
                  Richmond, VA 23220
                  (804) 355-0111 x 317
                  Fax: (804) 355-8939

                  Greetings all:

                  God's Gift To Women is a sprightly 1930s comedy of manners with
                  splendid Deco sets, a young and vivacious Joan Blondell and, of
                  course, Our Lady, whose hair style is swept off her forehead while
                  all the other women around her sport the bob that she made famous.
                  Typical Louise; she was a trend maker, not a follower, and after all,
                  she'd worn her hair in that manner since before leaving Wichita.
                  Times and styles had changed by the time GGTW was made.

                  Portions of the film were screened here in Richmond, Va., as
                  part of the 2005 Lulupalooza at the Firehouse Theater. It was one of
                  several film excerpts used for "Brunch With Brooksie" on the Sunday
                  of the two-day event. Seeing it reminded us that even a otherwise
                  forgettable picture of the 1930s had better writing than many films
                  today. That Frank Fay's character was strangely nick named"Toto"--
                  like the dog in The Wizard of Oz-- didn't seem to bother anybody at
                  the time and may have been a pun.

                  My favorite scenes are the catfight on Toto's bed between Louise,
                  Blondell, and a third woman.

                  There's a few exchanges that remind me of the lyrical quality of
                  some of these older films. One of their husbands is seen arriving at
                  the hotel and they ask in roundelay fashiohn: "Is he fat?" "Is he
                  angry?" 'Is he bald?"

                  To which Toto's manservant replies , "Yes! He's crazy and he's
                  got a gun!"

                  Speaking of Louise's hair; there was that brief experiment with
                  marcelled waves that Pabst put her in at the dive bar she and the
                  Countess Geschwitz go to. It is a jarring difference from the sleek
                  black helmet, but she looks mighty fine, as she did wearing almost
                  anything, including men's clothes in Beggars of Life.

                  I don't recall--I'd have look it up in the Good Book by Paris--
                  that Fay gave Louise a difficult time. Richard Arlen in BOL was
                  outright rude and abusive. He was also fond of claiming he was a
                  World War I aviator. Louise didn't much care for Arlen's acting, nor
                  he as a person, and at one point she called him on his aviator boast.
                  She found it difficult to believe that if he was born in 1900 that he
                  flew a plane in a war that ended in 1918. This tweaked Arlen's ego
                  and he insulted her by shouting that she didn't have any talent,
                  wasn't all that good-looking and that her eyes were too close together.

                  This was the same picture in which she invited a stunt man into
                  her bed, then the next day, before the entire cast, in a loud voice
                  asked her if she had syphilis. It was one of her most humiliating
                  moments in public, maybe up there with getting kicked out of Denishawn.

                  --HEK

                  Message 8 of 9 , Nov 1, 2007
                    --- In thenewcovenoflouisebrooks@yahoogroups.com, Harry
                    Kollatz <harryk@...> wrote:

                    Oh to have been able to Quantum Leap into Brooksie for that
                    moment.

                    I would've answered in peeved Valley Girl style, "Ummm... Yeah!
                    Thought you knew that already!"