Re: [The New Coven of Louise Brooks] Psychological Profile?

    Message 1 of 29 , May 9, 2007
      HEAR, HEAR!!! Discriminatory would probably be a better word for
      what Brooksie was all about, in respect to people, art, literature,
      etc. You hit the nail on the head perfectly, Olive. Kudos!

      > I doubt that Louise had much concern for ruining the morals of
      > children (she seemed more from the WC Fields school of
      > child-care in that respect). My guess is - assuming she really
      > ever wrote a full memoir - she just didn't like the snot-nosed
      little
      > brat she came off sounding like in print and opted for a more
      > selective approach. Or the final result just looks like crap and
      it
      > was easier to torch than try and rewrite...
      >
      > It could also be that she opted for little set pieces instead of
      one
      > whole go so that she could improve her writing skills as she
      > went.
      >
      > But "social responsibilty" and "Louise Brooks" are two sets of
      > words that just don't seem to go together...
      >
      > --- In thenewcovenoflouisebrooks@yahoogroups.com, "Anita M"
      > <Woodsy@> wrote:
      > >
      > > IMO she was being socially responsible; particularly in respect
      > to underage
      > > girls, who (judging from my own experience) are
      > impressionable and most
      > > likely to seek out those kinds of stories. At that point in my
      life,
      > illegal
      > > drug use and being an underachiever was glorified. I knew
      > people who bought
      > > into that and regretted it later. Instead of writing about her
      > adventures
      > > and saying at the end "don't do what I did," (which seldom
      > carries any
      > > weight if ever) she chose not to tell at all.
      > >

      > > Whether it mattered to her or not Brooksie knew that in her day
      > "spilling
      > > the sexual beans" could ruin a career; today it enhances it. (If
      > you ever
      > > have to stand in line in a grocery store, you know which
      > celebrities are
      > > doing what because the tabloids are in plain sight whether you
      > want to see
      > > them or not.)
      > >

      > > Anita M.
      > >

      > > _____

    • Anita M.
      Message 2 of 29 , May 9, 2007
        Now I'm confused.

        Chuck said "She said several times that one of the reasons she
        wouldn't publish her biography was that to do it properly would mean
        spilling all the sexual beans and that she had concerns about what
        this could potentially do to influence young girls. She admitted to
        her priest in the mid-50s that when she read about drinking she
        wanted a drink and when she read about sex she got excited. So she
        opted not to publish her memoirs out of concern for impressionable
        young women."

        But then, some people say one thing one day and the opposite another
        day - maybe a way to hold onto a little privacy.

        Anita M.

        Message 3 of 29 , May 9, 2007
          Some clue as to her reasoning might be found in her comments
          after turning down Playboy magazine for a writing job "all they
          want is (an article about) tits and free-fucking for men."

          Message 4 of 29 , May 12, 2007
            Brooksie was trying to protect herself from what others said about
            her. She never did trust people whom she met and later talked trash
            about her. Brooksie was one tough egg to crack, that's for sure.

            -Dario.