Re: [The New Coven of Louise Brooks] Psychological Profile?

  • Perri Lee
    Message 1 of 29 , May 7, 2007
      I still beleive that the reason she did not publish was some how tied to the twisted religious moral thing. It is why I feel she did not write and it still is the same thing and reason why people and persons hold themselves back today. But of course this is getting to be too large of a subject for this group. thanks

      Chuck Golden <bagnoli2@...> wrote: Perri Lee,

      She said several times that one of the reasons she wouldn't publish
      her biography was that to do it properly would mean spilling all the
      sexual beans and that she had concerns about what this could
      potentially do to influence young girls. She admitted to her priest
      in the mid-50s that when she read about drinking she wanted a drink
      and when she read about sex she got excited. So she opted not to
      publish her memoirs out of concern for impressionable young women.
      On the one hand, she wouldn't renounce her lifestyle (standing toe-to-
      toe with her priest), on the other hand she was concerned about
      having young girls see her habits and lifestyle as desirable and
      exciting. Therein lies one of the many apparant contradictions of
      Louise Brooks. In fact, it's not so much a contradiction as a proof
      of her brutal, flint-like honesty. I am what I am, I don't plan on
      being anything but what I am, and you don't want to be what I am.

      I'm not sure what you mean about the "twisted religions beliefs of
      her region and her day". The only periods in her life where religion
      was mentioned was a very short period in her mid-teens when she
      attended a Protestant church (in Wichita and staying just long enough
      to evidently have a fling with an older man in the church before
      moving to Manhatten), and for ten years as a Catholic between 1954
      and 1964 in New York. I certainly don't see either of them as being
      twisted in either location. Except for the Catholic period, I think
      Louise's attitude towards religion was ambivalence rather than
      antagonism. Interestingly, despite her declaring that she left the
      Church in 1964, when she died one of the few things of note in her
      little apartment was a crucifix at the end of her bed. I think she
      had a statue of the Virgin on her dresser as well. If she saw the
      religious beliefs of her day as twisted she never hinted at that
      opinion.

      Cheers!

      --- In thenewcovenoflouisebrooks@yahoogroups.com, Perri Lee
      <cheaptrickaz@...> wrote:

      > I have to add one more thing to all of this. I think she did not
      want to publish her own bio or let anyone else do it because of all
      the escapades she was involved in aka party girl. I think this was
      also mixed with the twisted religious beliefs of her region and her
      day. Perri Lee

      > Chuck Golden <bagnoli2@...> wrote: I think you've hit on
      one of THE major aspects of her personality. All
      > through the Paris bio, especially towards the end, it's evident
      that
      > she had to be in control - not so much in control of the people but
      in
      > control of the situation. Ken Tynan wrote the blockbuster
      piece "The
      > Girl in the Black Helmet" for the New Yorker which shot her back to
      the
      > top of the public consciousness. Not long afterwards, she got word
      > from him that he'd been out on the West Coast discussing (without
      her
      > knowing it) a bio-pic with a major Hollywood director. She went
      > ballistic, refused any thought of letting the film be done (despite
      the
      > increased fame and money), and cut Ken Tynan off forever. She
      > excoriated him for having the temerity of discussing a project that
      > involved her behind her back. The evident botton line is that she
      > wouldn't agree to putting herself and her story in a situation
      where
      > she couldn't be 100% in control of it.
      >
      > Now, as to why she was so much that way... any psycologists out
      there?
      > Certainly, she was her mother's daughter and the apple seldom falls
      far
      > from the tree. But she was far too complex for it to be something
      as
      > simple as that.
      >
      > --- In thenewcovenoflouisebrooks@yahoogroups.com, olive_e_thomas
      > <no_reply@> wrote:
      > >
      > > The way I look at it she was more concerned about the loss of
      > > personal control. Like if Oprah had tried to put her book in her
      > > book club Louise would likely refuse on the grounds any
      > > success would "belong" to Oprah and not to her...
      > >

      > Perri Lee Leuthard

      Perri Lee Leuthard

    • Anita M
      Message 2 of 29 , May 7, 2007
        IMO she was being socially responsible; particularly in respect to underage
        girls, who (judging from my own experience) are impressionable and most
        likely to seek out those kinds of stories. At that point in my life, illegal
        drug use and being an underachiever was glorified. I knew people who bought
        into that and regretted it later. Instead of writing about her adventures
        and saying at the end “don’t do what I did,” (which seldom carries any
        weight if ever) she chose not to tell at all.

        Whether it mattered to her or not Brooksie knew that in her day “spilling
        the sexual beans” could ruin a career; today it enhances it. (If you ever
        have to stand in line in a grocery store, you know which celebrities are
        doing what because the tabloids are in plain sight whether you want to see
        them or not.)

        Anita M.

        _____

        Message 3 of 29 , May 7, 2007
          That's quite true, Olive. Brooksie always wanted to control the
          situation, so that she could be the center of attention. It was that
          way at home, when she and her mother bickered, and it continued well
          into adulthood. She was her own marching band, which turned a lot of
          people off, that's for sure.

          Message 4 of 29 , May 7, 2007
            She was a very willful person, Chuck; it was her way and nothing
            else. Clara Bow was like that to an extent, but she was outgoing and
            cheerful towards all that met Clara. But Brooksie was moody,
            taciturn at times, and an intelectual snob, who thought that she was
            above everyone when it came film(film history, film making, actors &
            actresses, etc.), literature, politics, sex, male/female
            relationships, etc. And, very opinionated. But, I love her for it,
            because she would be who she was if she wasn't that in the first
            place. I marvel at her strong sense of independence. That made her
            stand out more than her contemporaries.

            -Dario.

            --- In thenewcovenoflouisebrooks@yahoogroups.com, "Chuck Golden"

            Message 5 of 29 , May 7, 2007
              I doubt that Louise had much concern for ruining the morals of
              children (she seemed more from the WC Fields school of
              child-care in that respect). My guess is - assuming she really
              ever wrote a full memoir - she just didn't like the snot-nosed little
              brat she came off sounding like in print and opted for a more
              selective approach. Or the final result just looks like crap and it
              was easier to torch than try and rewrite...

              It could also be that she opted for little set pieces instead of one
              whole go so that she could improve her writing skills as she
              went.

              But "social responsibilty" and "Louise Brooks" are two sets of
              words that just don't seem to go together...

              --- In thenewcovenoflouisebrooks@yahoogroups.com, "Anita M"
              <Woodsy@...> wrote:

              > IMO she was being socially responsible; particularly in respect
              to underage
              > girls, who (judging from my own experience) are
              impressionable and most
              > likely to seek out those kinds of stories. At that point in my life,
              illegal
              > drug use and being an underachiever was glorified. I knew
              people who bought
              > into that and regretted it later. Instead of writing about her
              adventures
              > and saying at the end "don't do what I did," (which seldom
              carries any
              > weight if ever) she chose not to tell at all.
              >

              > Whether it mattered to her or not Brooksie knew that in her day
              "spilling
              > the sexual beans" could ruin a career; today it enhances it. (If
              you ever
              > have to stand in line in a grocery store, you know which
              celebrities are
              > doing what because the tabloids are in plain sight whether you
              want to see
              > them or not.)
              >

              > Anita M.
              >

              > _____

              Profile?

              Message 6 of 29 , May 9, 2007
                HEAR, HEAR!!! Discriminatory would probably be a better word for
                what Brooksie was all about, in respect to people, art, literature,
                etc. You hit the nail on the head perfectly, Olive. Kudos!

                > I doubt that Louise had much concern for ruining the morals of
                > children (she seemed more from the WC Fields school of
                > child-care in that respect). My guess is - assuming she really
                > ever wrote a full memoir - she just didn't like the snot-nosed
                little
                > brat she came off sounding like in print and opted for a more
                > selective approach. Or the final result just looks like crap and
                it
                > was easier to torch than try and rewrite...
                >
                > It could also be that she opted for little set pieces instead of
                one
                > whole go so that she could improve her writing skills as she
                > went.
                >
                > But "social responsibilty" and "Louise Brooks" are two sets of
                > words that just don't seem to go together...
                >
                > --- In thenewcovenoflouisebrooks@yahoogroups.com, "Anita M"
                > <Woodsy@> wrote:
                > >
                > > IMO she was being socially responsible; particularly in respect
                > to underage
                > > girls, who (judging from my own experience) are
                > impressionable and most
                > > likely to seek out those kinds of stories. At that point in my
                life,
                > illegal
                > > drug use and being an underachiever was glorified. I knew
                > people who bought
                > > into that and regretted it later. Instead of writing about her
                > adventures
                > > and saying at the end "don't do what I did," (which seldom
                > carries any
                > > weight if ever) she chose not to tell at all.
                > >

                > > Whether it mattered to her or not Brooksie knew that in her day
                > "spilling
                > > the sexual beans" could ruin a career; today it enhances it. (If
                > you ever
                > > have to stand in line in a grocery store, you know which
                > celebrities are
                > > doing what because the tabloids are in plain sight whether you
                > want to see
                > > them or not.)
                > >

                > > Anita M.
                > >

                > > _____

              • Anita M.
                Message 7 of 29 , May 9, 2007
                  Now I'm confused.

                  Chuck said "She said several times that one of the reasons she
                  wouldn't publish her biography was that to do it properly would mean
                  spilling all the sexual beans and that she had concerns about what
                  this could potentially do to influence young girls. She admitted to
                  her priest in the mid-50s that when she read about drinking she
                  wanted a drink and when she read about sex she got excited. So she
                  opted not to publish her memoirs out of concern for impressionable
                  young women."

                  But then, some people say one thing one day and the opposite another
                  day - maybe a way to hold onto a little privacy.

                  Anita M.

                  Message 8 of 29 , May 9, 2007
                    Some clue as to her reasoning might be found in her comments
                    after turning down Playboy magazine for a writing job "all they
                    want is (an article about) tits and free-fucking for men."

                    Message 9 of 29 , May 12, 2007
                      Brooksie was trying to protect herself from what others said about
                      her. She never did trust people whom she met and later talked trash
                      about her. Brooksie was one tough egg to crack, that's for sure.

                      -Dario.