RE: [The New Coven of Louise Brooks] Psychological Profile?

  • Anita M
    Message 1 of 29 , May 7, 2007
      I'm not sure that public knowledge of her escapades would have bothered her.
      She never appeared to be embarrassed about anything she did, nor cared what
      anyone else thought of her. I think it was a 100% control issue.

      Anita M.

      _____

      Message 2 of 29 , May 7, 2007
        Perri Lee,

        She said several times that one of the reasons she wouldn't publish
        her biography was that to do it properly would mean spilling all the
        sexual beans and that she had concerns about what this could
        potentially do to influence young girls. She admitted to her priest
        in the mid-50s that when she read about drinking she wanted a drink
        and when she read about sex she got excited. So she opted not to
        publish her memoirs out of concern for impressionable young women.
        On the one hand, she wouldn't renounce her lifestyle (standing toe-to-
        toe with her priest), on the other hand she was concerned about
        having young girls see her habits and lifestyle as desirable and
        exciting. Therein lies one of the many apparant contradictions of
        Louise Brooks. In fact, it's not so much a contradiction as a proof
        of her brutal, flint-like honesty. I am what I am, I don't plan on
        being anything but what I am, and you don't want to be what I am.

        I'm not sure what you mean about the "twisted religions beliefs of
        her region and her day". The only periods in her life where religion
        was mentioned was a very short period in her mid-teens when she
        attended a Protestant church (in Wichita and staying just long enough
        to evidently have a fling with an older man in the church before
        moving to Manhatten), and for ten years as a Catholic between 1954
        and 1964 in New York. I certainly don't see either of them as being
        twisted in either location. Except for the Catholic period, I think
        Louise's attitude towards religion was ambivalence rather than
        antagonism. Interestingly, despite her declaring that she left the
        Church in 1964, when she died one of the few things of note in her
        little apartment was a crucifix at the end of her bed. I think she
        had a statue of the Virgin on her dresser as well. If she saw the
        religious beliefs of her day as twisted she never hinted at that
        opinion.

        Cheers!

        --- In thenewcovenoflouisebrooks@yahoogroups.com, Perri Lee
        <cheaptrickaz@...> wrote:

        > I have to add one more thing to all of this. I think she did not
        want to publish her own bio or let anyone else do it because of all
        the escapades she was involved in aka party girl. I think this was
        also mixed with the twisted religious beliefs of her region and her
        day. Perri Lee

        > Chuck Golden <bagnoli2@...> wrote: I think you've hit on
        one of THE major aspects of her personality. All
        > through the Paris bio, especially towards the end, it's evident
        that
        > she had to be in control - not so much in control of the people but
        in
        > control of the situation. Ken Tynan wrote the blockbuster
        piece "The
        > Girl in the Black Helmet" for the New Yorker which shot her back to
        the
        > top of the public consciousness. Not long afterwards, she got word
        > from him that he'd been out on the West Coast discussing (without
        her
        > knowing it) a bio-pic with a major Hollywood director. She went
        > ballistic, refused any thought of letting the film be done (despite
        the
        > increased fame and money), and cut Ken Tynan off forever. She
        > excoriated him for having the temerity of discussing a project that
        > involved her behind her back. The evident botton line is that she
        > wouldn't agree to putting herself and her story in a situation
        where
        > she couldn't be 100% in control of it.
        >
        > Now, as to why she was so much that way... any psycologists out
        there?
        > Certainly, she was her mother's daughter and the apple seldom falls
        far
        > from the tree. But she was far too complex for it to be something
        as
        > simple as that.
        >
        > --- In thenewcovenoflouisebrooks@yahoogroups.com, olive_e_thomas
        > <no_reply@> wrote:
        > >
        > > The way I look at it she was more concerned about the loss of
        > > personal control. Like if Oprah had tried to put her book in her
        > > book club Louise would likely refuse on the grounds any
        > > success would "belong" to Oprah and not to her...
        > >

        > Perri Lee Leuthard

      • Perri Lee
        Message 3 of 29 , May 7, 2007
          I still beleive that the reason she did not publish was some how tied to the twisted religious moral thing. It is why I feel she did not write and it still is the same thing and reason why people and persons hold themselves back today. But of course this is getting to be too large of a subject for this group. thanks

          Chuck Golden <bagnoli2@...> wrote: Perri Lee,

          <cheaptrickaz@...> wrote:

          > I have to add one more thing to all of this. I think she did not
          want to publish her own bio or let anyone else do it because of all
          the escapades she was involved in aka party girl. I think this was
          also mixed with the twisted religious beliefs of her region and her
          day. Perri Lee

          > Chuck Golden <bagnoli2@...> wrote: I think you've hit on
          one of THE major aspects of her personality. All
          > through the Paris bio, especially towards the end, it's evident
          that
          > she had to be in control - not so much in control of the people but
          in
          > control of the situation. Ken Tynan wrote the blockbuster
          piece "The
          > Girl in the Black Helmet" for the New Yorker which shot her back to
          the
          > top of the public consciousness. Not long afterwards, she got word
          > from him that he'd been out on the West Coast discussing (without
          her
          > knowing it) a bio-pic with a major Hollywood director. She went
          > ballistic, refused any thought of letting the film be done (despite
          the
          > increased fame and money), and cut Ken Tynan off forever. She
          > excoriated him for having the temerity of discussing a project that
          > involved her behind her back. The evident botton line is that she
          > wouldn't agree to putting herself and her story in a situation
          where
          > she couldn't be 100% in control of it.
          >
          > Now, as to why she was so much that way... any psycologists out
          there?
          > Certainly, she was her mother's daughter and the apple seldom falls
          far
          > from the tree. But she was far too complex for it to be something
          as
          > simple as that.
          >
          > --- In thenewcovenoflouisebrooks@yahoogroups.com, olive_e_thomas
          > <no_reply@> wrote:
          > >
          > > The way I look at it she was more concerned about the loss of
          > > personal control. Like if Oprah had tried to put her book in her
          > > book club Louise would likely refuse on the grounds any
          > > success would "belong" to Oprah and not to her...
          > >

          > Perri Lee Leuthard

          Perri Lee Leuthard

        • Anita M
          Message 4 of 29 , May 7, 2007
            IMO she was being socially responsible; particularly in respect to underage
            girls, who (judging from my own experience) are impressionable and most
            likely to seek out those kinds of stories. At that point in my life, illegal
            drug use and being an underachiever was glorified. I knew people who bought
            into that and regretted it later. Instead of writing about her adventures
            and saying at the end “don’t do what I did,” (which seldom carries any
            weight if ever) she chose not to tell at all.

            Whether it mattered to her or not Brooksie knew that in her day “spilling
            the sexual beans” could ruin a career; today it enhances it. (If you ever
            have to stand in line in a grocery store, you know which celebrities are
            doing what because the tabloids are in plain sight whether you want to see
            them or not.)

            Anita M.

            _____

            Message 5 of 29 , May 7, 2007
              That's quite true, Olive. Brooksie always wanted to control the
              situation, so that she could be the center of attention. It was that
              way at home, when she and her mother bickered, and it continued well
              into adulthood. She was her own marching band, which turned a lot of
              people off, that's for sure.

              Message 6 of 29 , May 7, 2007
                She was a very willful person, Chuck; it was her way and nothing
                else. Clara Bow was like that to an extent, but she was outgoing and
                cheerful towards all that met Clara. But Brooksie was moody,
                taciturn at times, and an intelectual snob, who thought that she was
                above everyone when it came film(film history, film making, actors &
                actresses, etc.), literature, politics, sex, male/female
                relationships, etc. And, very opinionated. But, I love her for it,
                because she would be who she was if she wasn't that in the first
                place. I marvel at her strong sense of independence. That made her
                stand out more than her contemporaries.

                -Dario.

                --- In thenewcovenoflouisebrooks@yahoogroups.com, "Chuck Golden"

                Message 7 of 29 , May 7, 2007
                  I doubt that Louise had much concern for ruining the morals of
                  children (she seemed more from the WC Fields school of
                  child-care in that respect). My guess is - assuming she really
                  ever wrote a full memoir - she just didn't like the snot-nosed little
                  brat she came off sounding like in print and opted for a more
                  selective approach. Or the final result just looks like crap and it
                  was easier to torch than try and rewrite...

                  It could also be that she opted for little set pieces instead of one
                  whole go so that she could improve her writing skills as she
                  went.

                  But "social responsibilty" and "Louise Brooks" are two sets of
                  words that just don't seem to go together...

                  --- In thenewcovenoflouisebrooks@yahoogroups.com, "Anita M"
                  <Woodsy@...> wrote:

                  > IMO she was being socially responsible; particularly in respect
                  to underage
                  > girls, who (judging from my own experience) are
                  impressionable and most
                  > likely to seek out those kinds of stories. At that point in my life,
                  illegal
                  > drug use and being an underachiever was glorified. I knew
                  people who bought
                  > into that and regretted it later. Instead of writing about her
                  adventures
                  > and saying at the end "don't do what I did," (which seldom
                  carries any
                  > weight if ever) she chose not to tell at all.
                  >

                  > Whether it mattered to her or not Brooksie knew that in her day
                  "spilling
                  > the sexual beans" could ruin a career; today it enhances it. (If
                  you ever
                  > have to stand in line in a grocery store, you know which
                  celebrities are
                  > doing what because the tabloids are in plain sight whether you
                  want to see
                  > them or not.)
                  >

                  > Anita M.
                  >

                  > _____

                  Profile?

                  Message 8 of 29 , May 9, 2007
                    HEAR, HEAR!!! Discriminatory would probably be a better word for
                    what Brooksie was all about, in respect to people, art, literature,
                    etc. You hit the nail on the head perfectly, Olive. Kudos!

                    > I doubt that Louise had much concern for ruining the morals of
                    > children (she seemed more from the WC Fields school of
                    > child-care in that respect). My guess is - assuming she really
                    > ever wrote a full memoir - she just didn't like the snot-nosed
                    little
                    > brat she came off sounding like in print and opted for a more
                    > selective approach. Or the final result just looks like crap and
                    it
                    > was easier to torch than try and rewrite...
                    >
                    > It could also be that she opted for little set pieces instead of
                    one
                    > whole go so that she could improve her writing skills as she
                    > went.
                    >
                    > But "social responsibilty" and "Louise Brooks" are two sets of
                    > words that just don't seem to go together...
                    >
                    > --- In thenewcovenoflouisebrooks@yahoogroups.com, "Anita M"
                    > <Woodsy@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > IMO she was being socially responsible; particularly in respect
                    > to underage
                    > > girls, who (judging from my own experience) are
                    > impressionable and most
                    > > likely to seek out those kinds of stories. At that point in my
                    life,
                    > illegal
                    > > drug use and being an underachiever was glorified. I knew
                    > people who bought
                    > > into that and regretted it later. Instead of writing about her
                    > adventures
                    > > and saying at the end "don't do what I did," (which seldom
                    > carries any
                    > > weight if ever) she chose not to tell at all.
                    > >

                    > > Whether it mattered to her or not Brooksie knew that in her day
                    > "spilling
                    > > the sexual beans" could ruin a career; today it enhances it. (If
                    > you ever
                    > > have to stand in line in a grocery store, you know which
                    > celebrities are
                    > > doing what because the tabloids are in plain sight whether you
                    > want to see
                    > > them or not.)
                    > >

                    > > Anita M.
                    > >

                    > > _____

                  • Anita M.
                    Message 9 of 29 , May 9, 2007
                      Now I'm confused.

                      Chuck said "She said several times that one of the reasons she
                      wouldn't publish her biography was that to do it properly would mean
                      spilling all the sexual beans and that she had concerns about what
                      this could potentially do to influence young girls. She admitted to
                      her priest in the mid-50s that when she read about drinking she
                      wanted a drink and when she read about sex she got excited. So she
                      opted not to publish her memoirs out of concern for impressionable
                      young women."

                      But then, some people say one thing one day and the opposite another
                      day - maybe a way to hold onto a little privacy.

                      Anita M.

                      Message 10 of 29 , May 9, 2007
                        Some clue as to her reasoning might be found in her comments
                        after turning down Playboy magazine for a writing job "all they
                        want is (an article about) tits and free-fucking for men."

                        Message 11 of 29 , May 12, 2007
                          Brooksie was trying to protect herself from what others said about
                          her. She never did trust people whom she met and later talked trash
                          about her. Brooksie was one tough egg to crack, that's for sure.

                          -Dario.