RE: [The New Coven of Louise Brooks] Psychological Profile?

  • Anita M
    Message 1 of 29 , May 6, 2007
      I can understand that, and I wouldn’t blame her, either.

      Anita M.

      "Love is not something wonderful that you feel; it is something difficult
      that you do." - Elizabeth Goudge

      _____

      Message 2 of 29 , May 7, 2007
        I'm not sure that public knowledge of her escapades would have bothered her.
        She never appeared to be embarrassed about anything she did, nor cared what
        anyone else thought of her. I think it was a 100% control issue.

        Anita M.

        _____

        Message 3 of 29 , May 7, 2007
          Perri Lee,

          She said several times that one of the reasons she wouldn't publish
          her biography was that to do it properly would mean spilling all the
          sexual beans and that she had concerns about what this could
          potentially do to influence young girls. She admitted to her priest
          in the mid-50s that when she read about drinking she wanted a drink
          and when she read about sex she got excited. So she opted not to
          publish her memoirs out of concern for impressionable young women.
          On the one hand, she wouldn't renounce her lifestyle (standing toe-to-
          toe with her priest), on the other hand she was concerned about
          having young girls see her habits and lifestyle as desirable and
          exciting. Therein lies one of the many apparant contradictions of
          Louise Brooks. In fact, it's not so much a contradiction as a proof
          of her brutal, flint-like honesty. I am what I am, I don't plan on
          being anything but what I am, and you don't want to be what I am.

          I'm not sure what you mean about the "twisted religions beliefs of
          her region and her day". The only periods in her life where religion
          was mentioned was a very short period in her mid-teens when she
          attended a Protestant church (in Wichita and staying just long enough
          to evidently have a fling with an older man in the church before
          moving to Manhatten), and for ten years as a Catholic between 1954
          and 1964 in New York. I certainly don't see either of them as being
          twisted in either location. Except for the Catholic period, I think
          Louise's attitude towards religion was ambivalence rather than
          antagonism. Interestingly, despite her declaring that she left the
          Church in 1964, when she died one of the few things of note in her
          little apartment was a crucifix at the end of her bed. I think she
          had a statue of the Virgin on her dresser as well. If she saw the
          religious beliefs of her day as twisted she never hinted at that
          opinion.

          Cheers!

          --- In thenewcovenoflouisebrooks@yahoogroups.com, Perri Lee
          <cheaptrickaz@...> wrote:

          > I have to add one more thing to all of this. I think she did not
          want to publish her own bio or let anyone else do it because of all
          the escapades she was involved in aka party girl. I think this was
          also mixed with the twisted religious beliefs of her region and her
          day. Perri Lee

          > Chuck Golden <bagnoli2@...> wrote: I think you've hit on
          one of THE major aspects of her personality. All
          > through the Paris bio, especially towards the end, it's evident
          that
          > she had to be in control - not so much in control of the people but
          in
          > control of the situation. Ken Tynan wrote the blockbuster
          piece "The
          > Girl in the Black Helmet" for the New Yorker which shot her back to
          the
          > top of the public consciousness. Not long afterwards, she got word
          > from him that he'd been out on the West Coast discussing (without
          her
          > knowing it) a bio-pic with a major Hollywood director. She went
          > ballistic, refused any thought of letting the film be done (despite
          the
          > increased fame and money), and cut Ken Tynan off forever. She
          > excoriated him for having the temerity of discussing a project that
          > involved her behind her back. The evident botton line is that she
          > wouldn't agree to putting herself and her story in a situation
          where
          > she couldn't be 100% in control of it.
          >
          > Now, as to why she was so much that way... any psycologists out
          there?
          > Certainly, she was her mother's daughter and the apple seldom falls
          far
          > from the tree. But she was far too complex for it to be something
          as
          > simple as that.
          >
          > --- In thenewcovenoflouisebrooks@yahoogroups.com, olive_e_thomas
          > <no_reply@> wrote:
          > >
          > > The way I look at it she was more concerned about the loss of
          > > personal control. Like if Oprah had tried to put her book in her
          > > book club Louise would likely refuse on the grounds any
          > > success would "belong" to Oprah and not to her...
          > >

          > Perri Lee Leuthard

        • Perri Lee
          Message 4 of 29 , May 7, 2007
            I still beleive that the reason she did not publish was some how tied to the twisted religious moral thing. It is why I feel she did not write and it still is the same thing and reason why people and persons hold themselves back today. But of course this is getting to be too large of a subject for this group. thanks

            Chuck Golden <bagnoli2@...> wrote: Perri Lee,

            <cheaptrickaz@...> wrote:

            > I have to add one more thing to all of this. I think she did not
            want to publish her own bio or let anyone else do it because of all
            the escapades she was involved in aka party girl. I think this was
            also mixed with the twisted religious beliefs of her region and her
            day. Perri Lee

            > Chuck Golden <bagnoli2@...> wrote: I think you've hit on
            one of THE major aspects of her personality. All
            > through the Paris bio, especially towards the end, it's evident
            that
            > she had to be in control - not so much in control of the people but
            in
            > control of the situation. Ken Tynan wrote the blockbuster
            piece "The
            > Girl in the Black Helmet" for the New Yorker which shot her back to
            the
            > top of the public consciousness. Not long afterwards, she got word
            > from him that he'd been out on the West Coast discussing (without
            her
            > knowing it) a bio-pic with a major Hollywood director. She went
            > ballistic, refused any thought of letting the film be done (despite
            the
            > increased fame and money), and cut Ken Tynan off forever. She
            > excoriated him for having the temerity of discussing a project that
            > involved her behind her back. The evident botton line is that she
            > wouldn't agree to putting herself and her story in a situation
            where
            > she couldn't be 100% in control of it.
            >
            > Now, as to why she was so much that way... any psycologists out
            there?
            > Certainly, she was her mother's daughter and the apple seldom falls
            far
            > from the tree. But she was far too complex for it to be something
            as
            > simple as that.
            >
            > --- In thenewcovenoflouisebrooks@yahoogroups.com, olive_e_thomas
            > <no_reply@> wrote:
            > >
            > > The way I look at it she was more concerned about the loss of
            > > personal control. Like if Oprah had tried to put her book in her
            > > book club Louise would likely refuse on the grounds any
            > > success would "belong" to Oprah and not to her...
            > >

            > Perri Lee Leuthard

            Perri Lee Leuthard

          • Anita M
            Message 5 of 29 , May 7, 2007
              IMO she was being socially responsible; particularly in respect to underage
              girls, who (judging from my own experience) are impressionable and most
              likely to seek out those kinds of stories. At that point in my life, illegal
              drug use and being an underachiever was glorified. I knew people who bought
              into that and regretted it later. Instead of writing about her adventures
              and saying at the end “don’t do what I did,” (which seldom carries any
              weight if ever) she chose not to tell at all.

              Whether it mattered to her or not Brooksie knew that in her day “spilling
              the sexual beans” could ruin a career; today it enhances it. (If you ever
              have to stand in line in a grocery store, you know which celebrities are
              doing what because the tabloids are in plain sight whether you want to see
              them or not.)

              Anita M.

              _____

              Message 6 of 29 , May 7, 2007
                That's quite true, Olive. Brooksie always wanted to control the
                situation, so that she could be the center of attention. It was that
                way at home, when she and her mother bickered, and it continued well
                into adulthood. She was her own marching band, which turned a lot of
                people off, that's for sure.

                Message 7 of 29 , May 7, 2007
                  She was a very willful person, Chuck; it was her way and nothing
                  else. Clara Bow was like that to an extent, but she was outgoing and
                  cheerful towards all that met Clara. But Brooksie was moody,
                  taciturn at times, and an intelectual snob, who thought that she was
                  above everyone when it came film(film history, film making, actors &
                  actresses, etc.), literature, politics, sex, male/female
                  relationships, etc. And, very opinionated. But, I love her for it,
                  because she would be who she was if she wasn't that in the first
                  place. I marvel at her strong sense of independence. That made her
                  stand out more than her contemporaries.

                  -Dario.

                  --- In thenewcovenoflouisebrooks@yahoogroups.com, "Chuck Golden"

                  Message 8 of 29 , May 7, 2007
                    I doubt that Louise had much concern for ruining the morals of
                    children (she seemed more from the WC Fields school of
                    child-care in that respect). My guess is - assuming she really
                    ever wrote a full memoir - she just didn't like the snot-nosed little
                    brat she came off sounding like in print and opted for a more
                    selective approach. Or the final result just looks like crap and it
                    was easier to torch than try and rewrite...

                    It could also be that she opted for little set pieces instead of one
                    whole go so that she could improve her writing skills as she
                    went.

                    But "social responsibilty" and "Louise Brooks" are two sets of
                    words that just don't seem to go together...

                    --- In thenewcovenoflouisebrooks@yahoogroups.com, "Anita M"
                    <Woodsy@...> wrote:

                    > IMO she was being socially responsible; particularly in respect
                    to underage
                    > girls, who (judging from my own experience) are
                    impressionable and most
                    > likely to seek out those kinds of stories. At that point in my life,
                    illegal
                    > drug use and being an underachiever was glorified. I knew
                    people who bought
                    > into that and regretted it later. Instead of writing about her
                    adventures
                    > and saying at the end "don't do what I did," (which seldom
                    carries any
                    > weight if ever) she chose not to tell at all.
                    >

                    > Whether it mattered to her or not Brooksie knew that in her day
                    "spilling
                    > the sexual beans" could ruin a career; today it enhances it. (If
                    you ever
                    > have to stand in line in a grocery store, you know which
                    celebrities are
                    > doing what because the tabloids are in plain sight whether you
                    want to see
                    > them or not.)
                    >

                    > Anita M.
                    >

                    > _____

                    Profile?

                    Message 9 of 29 , May 9, 2007
                      HEAR, HEAR!!! Discriminatory would probably be a better word for
                      what Brooksie was all about, in respect to people, art, literature,
                      etc. You hit the nail on the head perfectly, Olive. Kudos!

                      > I doubt that Louise had much concern for ruining the morals of
                      > children (she seemed more from the WC Fields school of
                      > child-care in that respect). My guess is - assuming she really
                      > ever wrote a full memoir - she just didn't like the snot-nosed
                      little
                      > brat she came off sounding like in print and opted for a more
                      > selective approach. Or the final result just looks like crap and
                      it
                      > was easier to torch than try and rewrite...
                      >
                      > It could also be that she opted for little set pieces instead of
                      one
                      > whole go so that she could improve her writing skills as she
                      > went.
                      >
                      > But "social responsibilty" and "Louise Brooks" are two sets of
                      > words that just don't seem to go together...
                      >
                      > --- In thenewcovenoflouisebrooks@yahoogroups.com, "Anita M"
                      > <Woodsy@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > IMO she was being socially responsible; particularly in respect
                      > to underage
                      > > girls, who (judging from my own experience) are
                      > impressionable and most
                      > > likely to seek out those kinds of stories. At that point in my
                      life,
                      > illegal
                      > > drug use and being an underachiever was glorified. I knew
                      > people who bought
                      > > into that and regretted it later. Instead of writing about her
                      > adventures
                      > > and saying at the end "don't do what I did," (which seldom
                      > carries any
                      > > weight if ever) she chose not to tell at all.
                      > >

                      > > Whether it mattered to her or not Brooksie knew that in her day
                      > "spilling
                      > > the sexual beans" could ruin a career; today it enhances it. (If
                      > you ever
                      > > have to stand in line in a grocery store, you know which
                      > celebrities are
                      > > doing what because the tabloids are in plain sight whether you
                      > want to see
                      > > them or not.)
                      > >

                      > > Anita M.
                      > >

                      > > _____

                    • Anita M.
                      Message 10 of 29 , May 9, 2007
                        Now I'm confused.

                        Chuck said "She said several times that one of the reasons she
                        wouldn't publish her biography was that to do it properly would mean
                        spilling all the sexual beans and that she had concerns about what
                        this could potentially do to influence young girls. She admitted to
                        her priest in the mid-50s that when she read about drinking she
                        wanted a drink and when she read about sex she got excited. So she
                        opted not to publish her memoirs out of concern for impressionable
                        young women."

                        But then, some people say one thing one day and the opposite another
                        day - maybe a way to hold onto a little privacy.

                        Anita M.

                        Message 11 of 29 , May 9, 2007
                          Some clue as to her reasoning might be found in her comments
                          after turning down Playboy magazine for a writing job "all they
                          want is (an article about) tits and free-fucking for men."

                          Message 12 of 29 , May 12, 2007
                            Brooksie was trying to protect herself from what others said about
                            her. She never did trust people whom she met and later talked trash
                            about her. Brooksie was one tough egg to crack, that's for sure.

                            -Dario.