Re: [The New Coven of Louise Brooks] Psychological Profile?

    Message 1 of 29 , May 5 9:37 AM
      WHOOPS!!!!! I meant "emptiness." Sorry, folks!

      > I don't think she feared success; I think she hated its intensity
      > more than anything else. Plus, she hated, I think, the empty that
      > accompanies success sometimes. But, that's just a thought of mine.
      >
      > -Dario.
      >

      > --- In thenewcovenoflouisebrooks@yahoogroups.com, "Anita M"
      > <Woodsy@> wrote:
      > >
      > > True, she pretty much said she "raised herself." There are
      several
      > reasons
      > > she didn't want to succeed, some we can guess at and some we'll
      > never know.
      > >

      > > AM
      > >

      > > _____

      Profile?

      > > Yes she was, Jennifer. A fascinating person, indeed. Yes, I agree
      > > with you that Brooksie was a bit afraid of success, but, I think
      > her
      > > troubles were that both of her parents didn't give her enough
      > > attention that they should have to her and her siblings. As
      > Brooksie
      > > herself said one time, just to paraphrase her, her parents were
      > more
      > > in love with each other than with their kids. They prefered that
      > > their childern, or "squaling brats" fend for themselves.
      > >
      > > -Dario.
      > >
      > > --- In thenewcovenoflouise
      > > <mailto:thenewcovenoflouisebrooks%40yahoogroups.com>
      > brooks@yahoogroups.com,
      > > SMILEYJEN1@
      > > wrote:
      > > >
      > > > She is a most fascinating creature. My own amateur opinion is
      > that
      > > she
      > > > was afraid of success; more specifically, what would happen if
      she
      > > > allowed herself to be happy with it. Think back to Mr Flowers.
      She

      Message 2 of 29 , May 5 8:26 PM
        The way I look at it she was more concerned about the loss of
        personal control. Like if Oprah had tried to put her book in her
        book club Louise would likely refuse on the grounds any
        success would "belong" to Oprah and not to her...
      • Anita M
        Message 3 of 29 , May 6 5:13 AM
          I can understand that, and I wouldn’t blame her, either.

          Anita M.

          "Love is not something wonderful that you feel; it is something difficult
          that you do." - Elizabeth Goudge

          _____

            <no_reply@...> wrote:

            > I don't think she feared success; I think she hated its intensity
            > more than anything else. Plus, she hated, I think, the empty that
            > accompanies success sometimes. But, that's just a thought of mine.
            >
            > -Dario.
            >

            > --- In thenewcovenoflouise
            <mailto:thenewcovenoflouisebrooks%40yahoogroups.com> brooks@yahoogroups.com,
            "Anita M"
> [...]
            on
            > > > Louise Brooks, because she is virtually unknown to most film
            > > > viewers, especially since most film viewers are NOT silent film
            > > fans
            > > > at all. It's a very tiny community, the silent film viewing
            > > > community, but a very fierce and loyal bunch, to be sure. In
            > fact,
            > > > there are many silent film fans who know ABSOLUTELY NOTHING
            about
            > > > Brooksie, which is a bit shocking.
            > > >
            > > > -Dario.
            > > >
            > > > --- In thenewcovenoflouise
            > > <mailto:thenewcovenoflouisebrooks%40yahoogroups.com>
            > brooks@yahoogroups. <mailto:brooks%40yahoogroups.com> com,
            > > Perri Lee

            > > > and was a player that fully enjoyed life and refused to take
            > > > negative energy off others.

            > > > know of any sort of psycological profile on Louise

          • Chuck Golden
            Message 5 of 29 , May 6 6:28 AM
              I think you've hit on one of THE major aspects of her personality. All
              through the Paris bio, especially towards the end, it's evident that
              she had to be in control - not so much in control of the people but in
              control of the situation. Ken Tynan wrote the blockbuster piece "The
              Girl in the Black Helmet" for the New Yorker which shot her back to the
              top of the public consciousness. Not long afterwards, she got word
              from him that he'd been out on the West Coast discussing (without her
              knowing it) a bio-pic with a major Hollywood director. She went
              ballistic, refused any thought of letting the film be done (despite the
              increased fame and money), and cut Ken Tynan off forever. She
              excoriated him for having the temerity of discussing a project that
              involved her behind her back. The evident botton line is that she
              wouldn't agree to putting herself and her story in a situation where
              she couldn't be 100% in control of it.

              Now, as to why she was so much that way... any psycologists out there?
              Certainly, she was her mother's daughter and the apple seldom falls far
              from the tree. But she was far too complex for it to be something as
              simple as that.

              > The way I look at it she was more concerned about the loss of
              > personal control. Like if Oprah had tried to put her book in her
              > book club Louise would likely refuse on the grounds any
              > success would "belong" to Oprah and not to her...

            • Perri Lee
              Message 6 of 29 , May 6 11:34 AM
                I have to add one more thing to all of this. I think she did not want to publish her own bio or let anyone else do it because of all the escapades she was involved in aka party girl. I think this was also mixed with the twisted religious beliefs of her region and her day. Perri Lee

                Chuck Golden <bagnoli2@...> wrote: I think you've hit on one of THE major aspects of her personality. All

                Message 7 of 29 , May 7 5:38 AM
                  I'm not sure that public knowledge of her escapades would have bothered her.
                  She never appeared to be embarrassed about anything she did, nor cared what
                  anyone else thought of her. I think it was a 100% control issue.

                  Anita M.

                  _____

                  Chuck Golden <bagnoli2@yahoo. <mailto:bagnoli2%40yahoo.com> com> wrote: I
[...]

                  olive_e_thomas

                  Message 8 of 29 , May 7 6:06 AM
                    Perri Lee,

                    She said several times that one of the reasons she wouldn't publish
                    her biography was that to do it properly would mean spilling all the
                    sexual beans and that she had concerns about what this could
                    potentially do to influence young girls. She admitted to her priest
                    in the mid-50s that when she read about drinking she wanted a drink
                    and when she read about sex she got excited. So she opted not to
                    publish her memoirs out of concern for impressionable young women.
                    On the one hand, she wouldn't renounce her lifestyle (standing toe-to-
                    toe with her priest), on the other hand she was concerned about
                    having young girls see her habits and lifestyle as desirable and
                    exciting. Therein lies one of the many apparant contradictions of
                    Louise Brooks. In fact, it's not so much a contradiction as a proof
                    of her brutal, flint-like honesty. I am what I am, I don't plan on
                    being anything but what I am, and you don't want to be what I am.

                    I'm not sure what you mean about the "twisted religions beliefs of
                    her region and her day". The only periods in her life where religion
                    was mentioned was a very short period in her mid-teens when she
                    attended a Protestant church (in Wichita and staying just long enough
                    to evidently have a fling with an older man in the church before
                    moving to Manhatten), and for ten years as a Catholic between 1954
                    and 1964 in New York. I certainly don't see either of them as being
                    twisted in either location. Except for the Catholic period, I think
                    Louise's attitude towards religion was ambivalence rather than
                    antagonism. Interestingly, despite her declaring that she left the
                    Church in 1964, when she died one of the few things of note in her
                    little apartment was a crucifix at the end of her bed. I think she
                    had a statue of the Virgin on her dresser as well. If she saw the
                    religious beliefs of her day as twisted she never hinted at that
                    opinion.

                    Cheers!

                    <cheaptrickaz@...> wrote:

                    > I have to add one more thing to all of this. I think she did not
                    want to publish her own bio or let anyone else do it because of all
                    the escapades she was involved in aka party girl. I think this was
                    also mixed with the twisted religious beliefs of her region and her
                    day. Perri Lee

                    > Chuck Golden <bagnoli2@...> wrote: I think you've hit on
                    one of THE major aspects of her personality. All
                    > through the Paris bio, especially towards the end, it's evident
                    that
                    > she had to be in control - not so much in control of the people but
                    in
                    > control of the situation. Ken Tynan wrote the blockbuster
                    piece "The
                    > Girl in the Black Helmet" for the New Yorker which shot her back to
                    the
                    > top of the public consciousness. Not long afterwards, she got word
                    > from him that he'd been out on the West Coast discussing (without
                    her
                    > knowing it) a bio-pic with a major Hollywood director. She went
                    > ballistic, refused any thought of letting the film be done (despite
                    the
                    > increased fame and money), and cut Ken Tynan off forever. She
                    > excoriated him for having the temerity of discussing a project that
                    > involved her behind her back. The evident botton line is that she
                    > wouldn't agree to putting herself and her story in a situation
                    where
                    > she couldn't be 100% in control of it.
                    >
                    > Now, as to why she was so much that way... any psycologists out
                    there?
                    > Certainly, she was her mother's daughter and the apple seldom falls
                    far
                    > from the tree. But she was far too complex for it to be something
                    as
                    > simple as that.
                    >
                    > --- In thenewcovenoflouisebrooks@yahoogroups.com, olive_e_thomas
                    > <no_reply@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > The way I look at it she was more concerned about the loss of
                    > > personal control. Like if Oprah had tried to put her book in her
                    > > book club Louise would likely refuse on the grounds any
                    > > success would "belong" to Oprah and not to her...
                    > >

                    > Perri Lee Leuthard

                  • Perri Lee
                    Message 9 of 29 , May 7 8:49 AM
                      I still beleive that the reason she did not publish was some how tied to the twisted religious moral thing. It is why I feel she did not write and it still is the same thing and reason why people and persons hold themselves back today. But of course this is getting to be too large of a subject for this group. thanks

                      Chuck Golden <bagnoli2@...> wrote: Perri Lee,

                      <cheaptrickaz@...> wrote:

                      > I have to add one more thing to all of this. I think she did not
                      want to publish her own bio or let anyone else do it because of all
                      the escapades she was involved in aka party girl. I think this was
                      also mixed with the twisted religious beliefs of her region and her
                      day. Perri Lee

                      > Chuck Golden <bagnoli2@...> wrote: I think you've hit on
                      one of THE major aspects of her personality. All
                      > through the Paris bio, especially towards the end, it's evident
                      that
                      > she had to be in control - not so much in control of the people but
                      in
                      > control of the situation. Ken Tynan wrote the blockbuster
                      piece "The
                      > Girl in the Black Helmet" for the New Yorker which shot her back to
                      the
                      > top of the public consciousness. Not long afterwards, she got word
                      > from him that he'd been out on the West Coast discussing (without
                      her
                      > knowing it) a bio-pic with a major Hollywood director. She went
                      > ballistic, refused any thought of letting the film be done (despite
                      the
                      > increased fame and money), and cut Ken Tynan off forever. She
                      > excoriated him for having the temerity of discussing a project that
                      > involved her behind her back. The evident botton line is that she
                      > wouldn't agree to putting herself and her story in a situation
                      where
                      > she couldn't be 100% in control of it.
                      >
                      > Now, as to why she was so much that way... any psycologists out
                      there?
                      > Certainly, she was her mother's daughter and the apple seldom falls
                      far
                      > from the tree. But she was far too complex for it to be something
                      as
                      > simple as that.
                      >
                      > --- In thenewcovenoflouisebrooks@yahoogroups.com, olive_e_thomas
                      > <no_reply@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > The way I look at it she was more concerned about the loss of
                      > > personal control. Like if Oprah had tried to put her book in her
                      > > book club Louise would likely refuse on the grounds any
                      > > success would "belong" to Oprah and not to her...
                      > >

                      > Perri Lee Leuthard

                      Perri Lee Leuthard

                    • Anita M
                      Message 10 of 29 , May 7 9:15 AM
                        IMO she was being socially responsible; particularly in respect to underage
                        girls, who (judging from my own experience) are impressionable and most
                        likely to seek out those kinds of stories. At that point in my life, illegal
                        drug use and being an underachiever was glorified. I knew people who bought
                        into that and regretted it later. Instead of writing about her adventures
                        and saying at the end “don’t do what I did,” (which seldom carries any
                        weight if ever) she chose not to tell at all.

                        Whether it mattered to her or not Brooksie knew that in her day “spilling
                        the sexual beans” could ruin a career; today it enhances it. (If you ever
                        have to stand in line in a grocery store, you know which celebrities are
                        doing what because the tabloids are in plain sight whether you want to see
                        them or not.)

                        Anita M.

                        _____

                        Message 11 of 29 , May 7 10:30 AM
                          That's quite true, Olive. Brooksie always wanted to control the
                          situation, so that she could be the center of attention. It was that
                          way at home, when she and her mother bickered, and it continued well
                          into adulthood. She was her own marching band, which turned a lot of
                          people off, that's for sure.

                          Message 12 of 29 , May 7 10:34 AM
                            She was a very willful person, Chuck; it was her way and nothing
                            else. Clara Bow was like that to an extent, but she was outgoing and
                            cheerful towards all that met Clara. But Brooksie was moody,
                            taciturn at times, and an intelectual snob, who thought that she was
                            above everyone when it came film(film history, film making, actors &
                            actresses, etc.), literature, politics, sex, male/female
                            relationships, etc. And, very opinionated. But, I love her for it,
                            because she would be who she was if she wasn't that in the first
                            place. I marvel at her strong sense of independence. That made her
                            stand out more than her contemporaries.

                            -Dario.

                            --- In thenewcovenoflouisebrooks@yahoogroups.com, "Chuck Golden"

                            Message 13 of 29 , May 7 12:24 PM
                              I doubt that Louise had much concern for ruining the morals of
                              children (she seemed more from the WC Fields school of
                              child-care in that respect). My guess is - assuming she really
                              ever wrote a full memoir - she just didn't like the snot-nosed little
                              brat she came off sounding like in print and opted for a more
                              selective approach. Or the final result just looks like crap and it
                              was easier to torch than try and rewrite...

                              It could also be that she opted for little set pieces instead of one
                              whole go so that she could improve her writing skills as she
                              went.

                              But "social responsibilty" and "Louise Brooks" are two sets of
                              words that just don't seem to go together...

                              <Woodsy@...> wrote:

                              > IMO she was being socially responsible; particularly in respect
                              to underage
                              > girls, who (judging from my own experience) are
                              impressionable and most
                              > likely to seek out those kinds of stories. At that point in my life,
                              illegal
                              > drug use and being an underachiever was glorified. I knew
                              people who bought
                              > into that and regretted it later. Instead of writing about her
                              adventures
                              > and saying at the end "don't do what I did," (which seldom
                              carries any
                              > weight if ever) she chose not to tell at all.
                              >

                              > Whether it mattered to her or not Brooksie knew that in her day
                              "spilling
                              > the sexual beans" could ruin a career; today it enhances it. (If
                              you ever
                              > have to stand in line in a grocery store, you know which
                              celebrities are
                              > doing what because the tabloids are in plain sight whether you
                              want to see
                              > them or not.)
                              >

                              > Anita M.
                              >

                              > _____

                              Profile?

                              Message 14 of 29 , May 9 10:58 AM
                                HEAR, HEAR!!! Discriminatory would probably be a better word for
                                what Brooksie was all about, in respect to people, art, literature,
                                etc. You hit the nail on the head perfectly, Olive. Kudos!

                                > I doubt that Louise had much concern for ruining the morals of
                                > children (she seemed more from the WC Fields school of
                                > child-care in that respect). My guess is - assuming she really
                                > ever wrote a full memoir - she just didn't like the snot-nosed
                                little
                                > brat she came off sounding like in print and opted for a more
                                > selective approach. Or the final result just looks like crap and
                                it
                                > was easier to torch than try and rewrite...
                                >
                                > It could also be that she opted for little set pieces instead of
                                one
                                > whole go so that she could improve her writing skills as she
                                > went.
                                >
                                > But "social responsibilty" and "Louise Brooks" are two sets of
                                > words that just don't seem to go together...
                                >
                                > --- In thenewcovenoflouisebrooks@yahoogroups.com, "Anita M"
                                > <Woodsy@> wrote:
                                > >
                                > > IMO she was being socially responsible; particularly in respect
                                > to underage
                                > > girls, who (judging from my own experience) are
                                > impressionable and most
                                > > likely to seek out those kinds of stories. At that point in my
                                life,
                                > illegal
                                > > drug use and being an underachiever was glorified. I knew
                                > people who bought
                                > > into that and regretted it later. Instead of writing about her
                                > adventures
                                > > and saying at the end "don't do what I did," (which seldom
                                > carries any
                                > > weight if ever) she chose not to tell at all.
                                > >

                                > > Whether it mattered to her or not Brooksie knew that in her day
                                > "spilling
                                > > the sexual beans" could ruin a career; today it enhances it. (If
                                > you ever
                                > > have to stand in line in a grocery store, you know which
                                > celebrities are
                                > > doing what because the tabloids are in plain sight whether you
                                > want to see
                                > > them or not.)
                                > >

                                > > Anita M.
                                > >

                                > > _____

                              • Anita M.
                                Message 15 of 29 , May 9 6:20 PM
                                  Now I'm confused.

                                  Chuck said "She said several times that one of the reasons she
                                  wouldn't publish her biography was that to do it properly would mean
                                  spilling all the sexual beans and that she had concerns about what
                                  this could potentially do to influence young girls. She admitted to
                                  her priest in the mid-50s that when she read about drinking she
                                  wanted a drink and when she read about sex she got excited. So she
                                  opted not to publish her memoirs out of concern for impressionable
                                  young women."

                                  But then, some people say one thing one day and the opposite another
                                  day - maybe a way to hold onto a little privacy.

                                  Anita M.

                                  Message 16 of 29 , May 9 6:30 PM
                                    Some clue as to her reasoning might be found in her comments
                                    after turning down Playboy magazine for a writing job "all they
                                    want is (an article about) tits and free-fucking for men."

                                    Message 17 of 29 , May 12 10:45 AM
                                      Brooksie was trying to protect herself from what others said about
                                      her. She never did trust people whom she met and later talked trash
                                      about her. Brooksie was one tough egg to crack, that's for sure.