Re: [The New Coven of Louise Brooks] Psychological Profile?

  • Perri Lee
    Message 1 of 29 , Apr 28 12:58 PM
      has anyone heard when Neve Cambell is going to get started on filming Louise's bio. I read she bought the rights and wanted to star in it. I hope she gets on with it before she gets too old

      Chuck Golden <bagnoli2@...> wrote: Thanks for the great discussion, everybody, I just joined the group
      and you seem like my kind of people. As originally mentioned, I'm in
      my third reading of Barry Paris's bio of her. It doesn't usually take
      very long to figure out a person. Whether you interact with them in
      person or read about them (with enough detail), you can normally put
      them into one or two catagories. Not Louise Brooks, at least with me
      so far. I'll be fourty-seven in a month or so, and I've dealt with
      thousands of people by now. I enjoy histories and biographies and
      have read a great many of both. Nobody I know or have studies so
      intrigues and disturbs me like Louise.

      Small-town girl, aesthete, great dancer, unbelievably well-read,
      articulate, undisciplined, sexually abused, emotionally abused,
      neglected, great actor, promiscuous, prostitute, Catholic,
      self-destructive, the list goes on and on. She was a high school
      dropout who was able to write like a professional at age seventeen,
      and did so. She had no formal acting training that I knew of, but at
      twenty-one she was Lulu. She was most likely of genious mentality but
      throughout her life she systematically did everything possible to
      destroy herself. She was such a complex, complex person.

      Like most everyone, I fully believe that her biggest problems sprang
      from her upbringing. You can't overstate the emotional damage brought
      onto a child by parental neglect and sexual abuse, and Louise suffered
      both of them. I can't help but wonder what she would have been like
      if her mother had shown her even a modicom of affection and hadn't
      blamed her when Louise told her mother at age nine for being raped by
      Mr. Flowers. I also believe, because she said as much when she was
      old, that she only wanted to be a dancer. The one thing in her life
      to which she had given focused and committed attention was her studies
      at Denishawn, and I think that her getting so viciously dismissed from
      the group at seventeen fractured something in her psyche that never
      healed. I could go on for hour. Ask my wife, she'll tell you. :o)

      Louise was wonderful. Disturbing, but wonderful. I wonder if I'd
      have liked her.

      Perri Lee Leuthard

    • Anita M
      Message 2 of 29 , Apr 29 6:30 AM
        She was a self-made woman, as you described. That’s what makes her so
        admirable to me – that she got so far starting with so little. But she was
        every bit as tragic as Marilyn Monroe, IMO; she never truly overcame her
        inner ‘demons’ so she sabotaged herself and drove away anyone who got close
        to her. I’d like to know the whole story of her dismissal from Denishawn.
        I’d read that she drank heavily and often didn’t show up for rehearsals.
        Today we have help for kids with drinking/drug problems, anti-social
        behavior, victims of abuse, etc. Unfortunately, such programs didn’t exist
        then.

        I’ve just joined the group, too, and have read only “Lulu in Hollywood” and
        whatever I can find on the net. I also have the “Biography” special on DVD.
        I see that Barry Paris’ bio is a must.

        (Neve Campbell certainly looks the part!)

        Anita M.
      • Chuck Golden
        Message 3 of 29 , Apr 30 6:16 AM
          Anita,

          She wasn't quite the fully-fledged hellion yet when she was kicked
          off the Denishawn team, but she was well on her way. She went to New
          York with a chaperone at first, but she quickly graduated from paying
          student to paid troupe member with lots of travel involved. Barry
          Paris doesn't say much if anything about the chaperone when Louise
          was picked up as a regular. Likely she went home to Kansas soon
          thereafter. On the road, she was required to be above moral and
          social reproach, but she wasn't always. She was the subject of a lot
          of rumors and her reputation soured. She was evidently sneaking
          around to clubs and not coming back to the room until wake-up time.
          Being an incredible dancer, however, her pecadillos were overlooked
          for the most part. She toured, and starred, with the troupe for two
          seasons, getting harder and harder to manage all the time, more
          independent, more stubborn, fuller and fuller of herself. Finally,
          she came into a group meeting late and the boss gave her the heave-ho
          in front of everybody. Not so much as a word of caution is ever
          mentioned as I recalled. She just crossed the line once too many
          times and got the boot. Ruth St. Denis gave told her she was being
          dismissed because she wanted the world on a silver salver. Soon
          after that, she was dancing in Scandals and later Zeigfield, that's
          when she really started racing the party engine. Hope this helps!

          And do get the Barry Paris book, you'll love it.

          --- In thenewcovenoflouisebrooks@yahoogroups.com, "Anita M"
          <Woodsy@...> wrote:

          > She was a self-made woman, as you described. That's what makes her
          so
          > admirable to me – that she got so far starting with so little. But
          she was
          > every bit as tragic as Marilyn Monroe, IMO; she never truly
          overcame her
          > inner `demons' so she sabotaged herself and drove away anyone who
          got close
          > to her. I'd like to know the whole story of her dismissal from
          Denishawn.
          > I'd read that she drank heavily and often didn't show up for
          rehearsals.
          > Today we have help for kids with drinking/drug problems, anti-social
          > behavior, victims of abuse, etc. Unfortunately, such programs
          didn't exist
          > then.
          >

          > I've just joined the group, too, and have read only "Lulu in
          Hollywood" and
          > whatever I can find on the net. I also have the "Biography" special
          on DVD.
          > I see that Barry Paris' bio is a must.
          >

          > (Neve Campbell certainly looks the part!)
          >

          > Anita M.

        • Perri Lee
          Message 4 of 29 , Apr 30 7:42 AM
            In one of her bio's she was quoted as saying "I love to drink and fuck" she was quite the party girl. I would have loved to have been a fly on the wall the afternoon her and Charlie Chaplin and another woman was in a hotel room all after noon and was drinking and Louise doing the Charleston..That was a story in one of the bio's . Happy reading

            Chuck Golden <bagnoli2@...> wrote: Anita,

            <Woodsy@...> wrote:

            > She was a self-made woman, as you described. That's what makes her
            so
            > admirable to me – that she got so far starting with so little. But
            she was
            > every bit as tragic as Marilyn Monroe, IMO; she never truly
            overcame her
            > inner `demons' so she sabotaged herself and drove away anyone who
            got close
            > to her. I'd like to know the whole story of her dismissal from
            Denishawn.
            > I'd read that she drank heavily and often didn't show up for
            rehearsals.
            > Today we have help for kids with drinking/drug problems, anti-social
            > behavior, victims of abuse, etc. Unfortunately, such programs
            didn't exist
            > then.
            >

            > I've just joined the group, too, and have read only "Lulu in
            Hollywood" and
            > whatever I can find on the net. I also have the "Biography" special
            on DVD.
            > I see that Barry Paris' bio is a must.
            >

            > (Neve Campbell certainly looks the part!)
            >

            > Anita M.

            Perri Lee Leuthard

            Message 5 of 29 , Apr 30 10:24 AM
              I don't think she feared success; I think she hated its intensity
              more than anything else. Plus, she hated, I think, the empty that
              accompanies success sometimes. But, that's just a thought of mine.

              -Dario.

              <Woodsy@...> wrote:

              > True, she pretty much said she "raised herself." There are several
              reasons
              > she didn't want to succeed, some we can guess at and some we'll
              never know.

              > AM
              >

              > _____

              Brooksie

              Message 6 of 29 , May 5, 2007
                WHOOPS!!!!! I meant "emptiness." Sorry, folks!

                Message 7 of 29 , May 5, 2007
                  The way I look at it she was more concerned about the loss of
                  personal control. Like if Oprah had tried to put her book in her
                  book club Louise would likely refuse on the grounds any
                  success would "belong" to Oprah and not to her...
                • Anita M
                  Message 8 of 29 , May 6, 2007
                    I can understand that, and I wouldn’t blame her, either.

                    Anita M.

                    "Love is not something wonderful that you feel; it is something difficult
                    that you do." - Elizabeth Goudge

                    _____

                      <no_reply@...> wrote:

                      > I don't think she feared success; I think she hated its intensity
                      > more than anything else. Plus, she hated, I think, the empty that
                      > accompanies success sometimes. But, that's just a thought of mine.
                      >
                      > -Dario.
                      >

                      > --- In thenewcovenoflouise
                      <mailto:thenewcovenoflouisebrooks%40yahoogroups.com> brooks@yahoogroups.com,
                      "Anita M"
> [...]
                      on
                      > > > Louise Brooks, because she is virtually unknown to most film
                      > > > viewers, especially since most film viewers are NOT silent film
                      > > fans
                      > > > at all. It's a very tiny community, the silent film viewing
                      > > > community, but a very fierce and loyal bunch, to be sure. In
                      > fact,
                      > > > there are many silent film fans who know ABSOLUTELY NOTHING
                      about
                      > > > Brooksie, which is a bit shocking.
                      > > >
                      > > > -Dario.
                      > > >
                      > > > --- In thenewcovenoflouise
                      > > <mailto:thenewcovenoflouisebrooks%40yahoogroups.com>
                      > brooks@yahoogroups. <mailto:brooks%40yahoogroups.com> com,
                      > > Perri Lee

                      > > > and was a player that fully enjoyed life and refused to take
                      > > > negative energy off others.

                      > > > know of any sort of psycological profile on Louise

                    • Chuck Golden
                      Message 10 of 29 , May 6, 2007
                        I think you've hit on one of THE major aspects of her personality. All
                        through the Paris bio, especially towards the end, it's evident that
                        she had to be in control - not so much in control of the people but in
                        control of the situation. Ken Tynan wrote the blockbuster piece "The
                        Girl in the Black Helmet" for the New Yorker which shot her back to the
                        top of the public consciousness. Not long afterwards, she got word
                        from him that he'd been out on the West Coast discussing (without her
                        knowing it) a bio-pic with a major Hollywood director. She went
                        ballistic, refused any thought of letting the film be done (despite the
                        increased fame and money), and cut Ken Tynan off forever. She
                        excoriated him for having the temerity of discussing a project that
                        involved her behind her back. The evident botton line is that she
                        wouldn't agree to putting herself and her story in a situation where
                        she couldn't be 100% in control of it.

                        Now, as to why she was so much that way... any psycologists out there?
                        Certainly, she was her mother's daughter and the apple seldom falls far
                        from the tree. But she was far too complex for it to be something as
                        simple as that.

                        Message 11 of 29 , May 6, 2007
                          I have to add one more thing to all of this. I think she did not want to publish her own bio or let anyone else do it because of all the escapades she was involved in aka party girl. I think this was also mixed with the twisted religious beliefs of her region and her day. Perri Lee

                          Chuck Golden <bagnoli2@...> wrote: I think you've hit on one of THE major aspects of her personality. All

                          Message 12 of 29 , May 7, 2007
                            I'm not sure that public knowledge of her escapades would have bothered her.
                            She never appeared to be embarrassed about anything she did, nor cared what
                            anyone else thought of her. I think it was a 100% control issue.

                            Anita M.

                            _____

                            Chuck Golden <bagnoli2@yahoo. <mailto:bagnoli2%40yahoo.com> com> wrote: I
[...]

                            olive_e_thomas

                            Message 13 of 29 , May 7, 2007
                              Perri Lee,

                              She said several times that one of the reasons she wouldn't publish
                              her biography was that to do it properly would mean spilling all the
                              sexual beans and that she had concerns about what this could
                              potentially do to influence young girls. She admitted to her priest
                              in the mid-50s that when she read about drinking she wanted a drink
                              and when she read about sex she got excited. So she opted not to
                              publish her memoirs out of concern for impressionable young women.
                              On the one hand, she wouldn't renounce her lifestyle (standing toe-to-
                              toe with her priest), on the other hand she was concerned about
                              having young girls see her habits and lifestyle as desirable and
                              exciting. Therein lies one of the many apparant contradictions of
                              Louise Brooks. In fact, it's not so much a contradiction as a proof
                              of her brutal, flint-like honesty. I am what I am, I don't plan on
                              being anything but what I am, and you don't want to be what I am.

                              I'm not sure what you mean about the "twisted religions beliefs of
                              her region and her day". The only periods in her life where religion
                              was mentioned was a very short period in her mid-teens when she
                              attended a Protestant church (in Wichita and staying just long enough
                              to evidently have a fling with an older man in the church before
                              moving to Manhatten), and for ten years as a Catholic between 1954
                              and 1964 in New York. I certainly don't see either of them as being
                              twisted in either location. Except for the Catholic period, I think
                              Louise's attitude towards religion was ambivalence rather than
                              antagonism. Interestingly, despite her declaring that she left the
                              Church in 1964, when she died one of the few things of note in her
                              little apartment was a crucifix at the end of her bed. I think she
                              had a statue of the Virgin on her dresser as well. If she saw the
                              religious beliefs of her day as twisted she never hinted at that
                              opinion.

                              Cheers!

                              <cheaptrickaz@...> wrote:

                              > I have to add one more thing to all of this. I think she did not
                              want to publish her own bio or let anyone else do it because of all
                              the escapades she was involved in aka party girl. I think this was
                              also mixed with the twisted religious beliefs of her region and her
                              day. Perri Lee

                              > Chuck Golden <bagnoli2@...> wrote: I think you've hit on
                              one of THE major aspects of her personality. All
                              > through the Paris bio, especially towards the end, it's evident
                              that
                              > she had to be in control - not so much in control of the people but
                              in
                              > control of the situation. Ken Tynan wrote the blockbuster
                              piece "The
                              > Girl in the Black Helmet" for the New Yorker which shot her back to
                              the
                              > top of the public consciousness. Not long afterwards, she got word
                              > from him that he'd been out on the West Coast discussing (without
                              her
                              > knowing it) a bio-pic with a major Hollywood director. She went
                              > ballistic, refused any thought of letting the film be done (despite
                              the
                              > increased fame and money), and cut Ken Tynan off forever. She
                              > excoriated him for having the temerity of discussing a project that
                              > involved her behind her back. The evident botton line is that she
                              > wouldn't agree to putting herself and her story in a situation
                              where
                              > she couldn't be 100% in control of it.
                              >
                              > Now, as to why she was so much that way... any psycologists out
                              there?
                              > Certainly, she was her mother's daughter and the apple seldom falls
                              far
                              > from the tree. But she was far too complex for it to be something
                              as
                              > simple as that.
                              >
                              > --- In thenewcovenoflouisebrooks@yahoogroups.com, olive_e_thomas
                              > <no_reply@> wrote:
                              > >
                              > > The way I look at it she was more concerned about the loss of
                              > > personal control. Like if Oprah had tried to put her book in her
                              > > book club Louise would likely refuse on the grounds any
                              > > success would "belong" to Oprah and not to her...
                              > >

                              > Perri Lee Leuthard

                            • Perri Lee
                              Message 14 of 29 , May 7, 2007
                                I still beleive that the reason she did not publish was some how tied to the twisted religious moral thing. It is why I feel she did not write and it still is the same thing and reason why people and persons hold themselves back today. But of course this is getting to be too large of a subject for this group. thanks

                                Chuck Golden <bagnoli2@...> wrote: Perri Lee,

                                <cheaptrickaz@...> wrote:

                                > I have to add one more thing to all of this. I think she did not
                                want to publish her own bio or let anyone else do it because of all
                                the escapades she was involved in aka party girl. I think this was
                                also mixed with the twisted religious beliefs of her region and her
                                day. Perri Lee

                                > Chuck Golden <bagnoli2@...> wrote: I think you've hit on
                                one of THE major aspects of her personality. All
                                > through the Paris bio, especially towards the end, it's evident
                                that
                                > she had to be in control - not so much in control of the people but
                                in
                                > control of the situation. Ken Tynan wrote the blockbuster
                                piece "The
                                > Girl in the Black Helmet" for the New Yorker which shot her back to
                                the
                                > top of the public consciousness. Not long afterwards, she got word
                                > from him that he'd been out on the West Coast discussing (without
                                her
                                > knowing it) a bio-pic with a major Hollywood director. She went
                                > ballistic, refused any thought of letting the film be done (despite
                                the
                                > increased fame and money), and cut Ken Tynan off forever. She
                                > excoriated him for having the temerity of discussing a project that
                                > involved her behind her back. The evident botton line is that she
                                > wouldn't agree to putting herself and her story in a situation
                                where
                                > she couldn't be 100% in control of it.
                                >
                                > Now, as to why she was so much that way... any psycologists out
                                there?
                                > Certainly, she was her mother's daughter and the apple seldom falls
                                far
                                > from the tree. But she was far too complex for it to be something
                                as
                                > simple as that.
                                >
                                > --- In thenewcovenoflouisebrooks@yahoogroups.com, olive_e_thomas
                                > <no_reply@> wrote:
                                > >
                                > > The way I look at it she was more concerned about the loss of
                                > > personal control. Like if Oprah had tried to put her book in her
                                > > book club Louise would likely refuse on the grounds any
                                > > success would "belong" to Oprah and not to her...
                                > >

                                > Perri Lee Leuthard

                                Perri Lee Leuthard

                              • Anita M
                                Message 15 of 29 , May 7, 2007
                                  IMO she was being socially responsible; particularly in respect to underage
                                  girls, who (judging from my own experience) are impressionable and most
                                  likely to seek out those kinds of stories. At that point in my life, illegal
                                  drug use and being an underachiever was glorified. I knew people who bought
                                  into that and regretted it later. Instead of writing about her adventures
                                  and saying at the end “don’t do what I did,” (which seldom carries any
                                  weight if ever) she chose not to tell at all.

                                  Whether it mattered to her or not Brooksie knew that in her day “spilling
                                  the sexual beans” could ruin a career; today it enhances it. (If you ever
                                  have to stand in line in a grocery store, you know which celebrities are
                                  doing what because the tabloids are in plain sight whether you want to see
                                  them or not.)

                                  Anita M.

                                  _____

                                  Message 16 of 29 , May 7, 2007
                                    That's quite true, Olive. Brooksie always wanted to control the
                                    situation, so that she could be the center of attention. It was that
                                    way at home, when she and her mother bickered, and it continued well
                                    into adulthood. She was her own marching band, which turned a lot of
                                    people off, that's for sure.

                                    Message 17 of 29 , May 7, 2007
                                      She was a very willful person, Chuck; it was her way and nothing
                                      else. Clara Bow was like that to an extent, but she was outgoing and
                                      cheerful towards all that met Clara. But Brooksie was moody,
                                      taciturn at times, and an intelectual snob, who thought that she was
                                      above everyone when it came film(film history, film making, actors &
                                      actresses, etc.), literature, politics, sex, male/female
                                      relationships, etc. And, very opinionated. But, I love her for it,
                                      because she would be who she was if she wasn't that in the first
                                      place. I marvel at her strong sense of independence. That made her
                                      stand out more than her contemporaries.

                                      -Dario.

                                      --- In thenewcovenoflouisebrooks@yahoogroups.com, "Chuck Golden"

                                      Message 18 of 29 , May 7, 2007
                                        I doubt that Louise had much concern for ruining the morals of
                                        children (she seemed more from the WC Fields school of
                                        child-care in that respect). My guess is - assuming she really
                                        ever wrote a full memoir - she just didn't like the snot-nosed little
                                        brat she came off sounding like in print and opted for a more
                                        selective approach. Or the final result just looks like crap and it
                                        was easier to torch than try and rewrite...

                                        It could also be that she opted for little set pieces instead of one
                                        whole go so that she could improve her writing skills as she
                                        went.

                                        But "social responsibilty" and "Louise Brooks" are two sets of
                                        words that just don't seem to go together...

                                        <Woodsy@...> wrote:

                                        > IMO she was being socially responsible; particularly in respect
                                        to underage
                                        > girls, who (judging from my own experience) are
                                        impressionable and most
                                        > likely to seek out those kinds of stories. At that point in my life,
                                        illegal
                                        > drug use and being an underachiever was glorified. I knew
                                        people who bought
                                        > into that and regretted it later. Instead of writing about her
                                        adventures
                                        > and saying at the end "don't do what I did," (which seldom
                                        carries any
                                        > weight if ever) she chose not to tell at all.
                                        >

                                        > Whether it mattered to her or not Brooksie knew that in her day
                                        "spilling
                                        > the sexual beans" could ruin a career; today it enhances it. (If
                                        you ever
                                        > have to stand in line in a grocery store, you know which
                                        celebrities are
                                        > doing what because the tabloids are in plain sight whether you
                                        want to see
                                        > them or not.)
                                        >

                                        > Anita M.
                                        >

                                        > _____

                                        Profile?

                                        Message 19 of 29 , May 9, 2007
                                          HEAR, HEAR!!! Discriminatory would probably be a better word for
                                          what Brooksie was all about, in respect to people, art, literature,
                                          etc. You hit the nail on the head perfectly, Olive. Kudos!

                                          > I doubt that Louise had much concern for ruining the morals of
                                          > children (she seemed more from the WC Fields school of
                                          > child-care in that respect). My guess is - assuming she really
                                          > ever wrote a full memoir - she just didn't like the snot-nosed
                                          little
                                          > brat she came off sounding like in print and opted for a more
                                          > selective approach. Or the final result just looks like crap and
                                          it
                                          > was easier to torch than try and rewrite...
                                          >
                                          > It could also be that she opted for little set pieces instead of
                                          one
                                          > whole go so that she could improve her writing skills as she
                                          > went.
                                          >
                                          > But "social responsibilty" and "Louise Brooks" are two sets of
                                          > words that just don't seem to go together...
                                          >
                                          > --- In thenewcovenoflouisebrooks@yahoogroups.com, "Anita M"
                                          > <Woodsy@> wrote:
                                          > >
                                          > > IMO she was being socially responsible; particularly in respect
                                          > to underage
                                          > > girls, who (judging from my own experience) are
                                          > impressionable and most
                                          > > likely to seek out those kinds of stories. At that point in my
                                          life,
                                          > illegal
                                          > > drug use and being an underachiever was glorified. I knew
                                          > people who bought
                                          > > into that and regretted it later. Instead of writing about her
                                          > adventures
                                          > > and saying at the end "don't do what I did," (which seldom
                                          > carries any
                                          > > weight if ever) she chose not to tell at all.
                                          > >

                                          > > Whether it mattered to her or not Brooksie knew that in her day
                                          > "spilling
                                          > > the sexual beans" could ruin a career; today it enhances it. (If
                                          > you ever
                                          > > have to stand in line in a grocery store, you know which
                                          > celebrities are
                                          > > doing what because the tabloids are in plain sight whether you
                                          > want to see
                                          > > them or not.)
                                          > >

                                          > > Anita M.
                                          > >

                                          > > _____

                                        • Anita M.
                                          Message 20 of 29 , May 9, 2007
                                            Now I'm confused.

                                            Chuck said "She said several times that one of the reasons she
                                            wouldn't publish her biography was that to do it properly would mean
                                            spilling all the sexual beans and that she had concerns about what
                                            this could potentially do to influence young girls. She admitted to
                                            her priest in the mid-50s that when she read about drinking she
                                            wanted a drink and when she read about sex she got excited. So she
                                            opted not to publish her memoirs out of concern for impressionable
                                            young women."

                                            But then, some people say one thing one day and the opposite another
                                            day - maybe a way to hold onto a little privacy.

                                            Anita M.

                                            Message 21 of 29 , May 9, 2007
                                              Some clue as to her reasoning might be found in her comments
                                              after turning down Playboy magazine for a writing job "all they
                                              want is (an article about) tits and free-fucking for men."

                                              Message 22 of 29 , May 12, 2007
                                                Brooksie was trying to protect herself from what others said about
                                                her. She never did trust people whom she met and later talked trash
                                                about her. Brooksie was one tough egg to crack, that's for sure.

                                                -Dario.