Re: [The New Coven of Louise Brooks] Psycological Profile?

    Message 1 of 29 , Apr 27, 2007
      Yes she was, Jennifer. A fascinating person, indeed. Yes, I agree
      with you that Brooksie was a bit afraid of success, but, I think her
      troubles were that both of her parents didn't give her enough
      attention that they should have to her and her siblings. As Brooksie
      herself said one time, just to paraphrase her, her parents were more
      in love with each other than with their kids. They prefered that
      their childern, or "squaling brats" fend for themselves.

      -Dario.

      --- In thenewcovenoflouisebrooks@yahoogroups.com, SMILEYJEN1@...
      wrote:

      > She is a most fascinating creature. My own amateur opinion is that
      she
      > was afraid of success; more specifically, what would happen if she
      > allowed herself to be happy with it. Think back to Mr Flowers. She
      > followed a friendly face that promised her pleasant things, only to
      strip
      > her of her childhood in return. This seemed to be a prevailing
      theme in
      > her life - she would never be complacent again.
      >
      > Yes, I was a psych minor in college,
      > Jennifer ^_^
      >

      > On Thu, 26 Apr 2007 17:56:30 -0000 nutsaboutclara
      > <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> writes:
      > To the both of you, there has never been a psychological study on
      > Louise Brooks, because she is virtually unknown to most film
      > viewers, especially since most film viewers are NOT silent film
      fans
      > at all. It's a very tiny community, the silent film viewing
      > community, but a very fierce and loyal bunch, to be sure. In fact,
      > there are many silent film fans who know ABSOLUTELY NOTHING about
      > Brooksie, which is a bit shocking.
      >
      > -Dario.
      >
      > --- In thenewcovenoflouisebrooks@yahoogroups.com, Perri Lee
      > <cheaptrickaz@> wrote:
      > >
      > > I don't think she was that complex. She was hot and she knew it
      > and was a player that fully enjoyed life and refused to take
      > negative energy off others.
      > >
      > > Chuck Golden <bagnoli2@> wrote: Has anyone seen or
      > know of any sort of psycological profile on Louise
      > > Brooks? I'm in my third straight reading of Barry Paris' bio of
      > her
      > > and I find her to be psycologically baffling. What an incredibly
      > > complex person!
      > >

      > > Perri Lee Leuthard

    • Anita M
      Message 2 of 29 , Apr 27, 2007
        True, she pretty much said she “raised herself.” There are several reasons
        she didn’t want to succeed, some we can guess at and some we’ll never know.

        AM

        _____

        <mailto:thenewcovenoflouisebrooks%40yahoogroups.com> brooks@yahoogroups.com,
        SMILEYJEN1@...
        wrote:

        > She is a most fascinating creature. My own amateur opinion is that
        she
        > was afraid of success; more specifically, what would happen if she
        > allowed herself to be happy with it. Think back to Mr Flowers. She
        > followed a friendly face that promised her pleasant things, only to
        strip
        > her of her childhood in return. This seemed to be a prevailing
        theme in
        > her life - she would never be complacent again.
        >
        > Yes, I was a psych minor in college,
        > Jennifer ^_^
        >

        > On Thu, 26 Apr 2007 17:56:30 -0000 nutsaboutclara
        > <no_reply@yahoogroup <mailto:no_reply%40yahoogroups.com> s.com> writes:
        > To the both of you, there has never been a psychological study on
        > Louise Brooks, because she is virtually unknown to most film
        > viewers, especially since most film viewers are NOT silent film
        fans
        > at all. It's a very tiny community, the silent film viewing
        > community, but a very fierce and loyal bunch, to be sure. In fact,
        > there are many silent film fans who know ABSOLUTELY NOTHING about
        > Brooksie, which is a bit shocking.
        >
        > -Dario.
        >
        > --- In thenewcovenoflouise
        <mailto:thenewcovenoflouisebrooks%40yahoogroups.com> brooks@yahoogroups.com,
        Perri Lee
        > <cheaptrickaz@> wrote:
        > >
        > > I don't think she was that complex. She was hot and she knew it
        > and was a player that fully enjoyed life and refused to take
        > negative energy off others.
        > >
        > > Chuck Golden <bagnoli2@> wrote: Has anyone seen or
        > know of any sort of psycological profile on Louise
        > > Brooks? I'm in my third straight reading of Barry Paris' bio of
        > her
        > > and I find her to be psycologically baffling. What an incredibly
        > > complex person!
        > >

        > > Perri Lee Leuthard

      • Chuck Golden
        Message 3 of 29 , Apr 28, 2007
          Thanks for the great discussion, everybody, I just joined the group
          and you seem like my kind of people. As originally mentioned, I'm in
          my third reading of Barry Paris's bio of her. It doesn't usually take
          very long to figure out a person. Whether you interact with them in
          person or read about them (with enough detail), you can normally put
          them into one or two catagories. Not Louise Brooks, at least with me
          so far. I'll be fourty-seven in a month or so, and I've dealt with
          thousands of people by now. I enjoy histories and biographies and
          have read a great many of both. Nobody I know or have studies so
          intrigues and disturbs me like Louise.

          Small-town girl, aesthete, great dancer, unbelievably well-read,
          articulate, undisciplined, sexually abused, emotionally abused,
          neglected, great actor, promiscuous, prostitute, Catholic,
          self-destructive, the list goes on and on. She was a high school
          dropout who was able to write like a professional at age seventeen,
          and did so. She had no formal acting training that I knew of, but at
          twenty-one she was Lulu. She was most likely of genious mentality but
          throughout her life she systematically did everything possible to
          destroy herself. She was such a complex, complex person.

          Like most everyone, I fully believe that her biggest problems sprang
          from her upbringing. You can't overstate the emotional damage brought
          onto a child by parental neglect and sexual abuse, and Louise suffered
          both of them. I can't help but wonder what she would have been like
          if her mother had shown her even a modicom of affection and hadn't
          blamed her when Louise told her mother at age nine for being raped by
          Mr. Flowers. I also believe, because she said as much when she was
          old, that she only wanted to be a dancer. The one thing in her life
          to which she had given focused and committed attention was her studies
          at Denishawn, and I think that her getting so viciously dismissed from
          the group at seventeen fractured something in her psyche that never
          healed. I could go on for hour. Ask my wife, she'll tell you. :o)

          Louise was wonderful. Disturbing, but wonderful. I wonder if I'd
          have liked her.
        • Perri Lee

            Message 5 of 29 , Apr 29, 2007
              She was a self-made woman, as you described. That’s what makes her so
              admirable to me – that she got so far starting with so little. But she was
              every bit as tragic as Marilyn Monroe, IMO; she never truly overcame her
              inner ‘demons’ so she sabotaged herself and drove away anyone who got close
              to her. I’d like to know the whole story of her dismissal from Denishawn.
              I’d read that she drank heavily and often didn’t show up for rehearsals.
              Today we have help for kids with drinking/drug problems, anti-social
              behavior, victims of abuse, etc. Unfortunately, such programs didn’t exist
              then.

              I’ve just joined the group, too, and have read only “Lulu in Hollywood” and
              whatever I can find on the net. I also have the “Biography” special on DVD.
              I see that Barry Paris’ bio is a must.

              (Neve Campbell certainly looks the part!)

              Anita M.
            • Chuck Golden
              Message 6 of 29 , Apr 30, 2007
                Anita,

                She wasn't quite the fully-fledged hellion yet when she was kicked
                off the Denishawn team, but she was well on her way. She went to New
                York with a chaperone at first, but she quickly graduated from paying
                student to paid troupe member with lots of travel involved. Barry
                Paris doesn't say much if anything about the chaperone when Louise
                was picked up as a regular. Likely she went home to Kansas soon
                thereafter. On the road, she was required to be above moral and
                social reproach, but she wasn't always. She was the subject of a lot
                of rumors and her reputation soured. She was evidently sneaking
                around to clubs and not coming back to the room until wake-up time.
                Being an incredible dancer, however, her pecadillos were overlooked
                for the most part. She toured, and starred, with the troupe for two
                seasons, getting harder and harder to manage all the time, more
                independent, more stubborn, fuller and fuller of herself. Finally,
                she came into a group meeting late and the boss gave her the heave-ho
                in front of everybody. Not so much as a word of caution is ever
                mentioned as I recalled. She just crossed the line once too many
                times and got the boot. Ruth St. Denis gave told her she was being
                dismissed because she wanted the world on a silver salver. Soon
                after that, she was dancing in Scandals and later Zeigfield, that's
                when she really started racing the party engine. Hope this helps!

                And do get the Barry Paris book, you'll love it.

                --- In thenewcovenoflouisebrooks@yahoogroups.com, "Anita M"
                <Woodsy@...> wrote:

                > She was a self-made woman, as you described. That's what makes her
                so
                > admirable to me – that she got so far starting with so little. But
                she was
                > every bit as tragic as Marilyn Monroe, IMO; she never truly
                overcame her
                > inner `demons' so she sabotaged herself and drove away anyone who
                got close
                > to her. I'd like to know the whole story of her dismissal from
                Denishawn.
                > I'd read that she drank heavily and often didn't show up for
                rehearsals.
                > Today we have help for kids with drinking/drug problems, anti-social
                > behavior, victims of abuse, etc. Unfortunately, such programs
                didn't exist
                > then.
                >

                > I've just joined the group, too, and have read only "Lulu in
                Hollywood" and
                > whatever I can find on the net. I also have the "Biography" special
                on DVD.
                > I see that Barry Paris' bio is a must.
                >

                > (Neve Campbell certainly looks the part!)
                >

                > Anita M.

              • Perri Lee
                Message 7 of 29 , Apr 30, 2007
                  In one of her bio's she was quoted as saying "I love to drink and fuck" she was quite the party girl. I would have loved to have been a fly on the wall the afternoon her and Charlie Chaplin and another woman was in a hotel room all after noon and was drinking and Louise doing the Charleston..That was a story in one of the bio's . Happy reading

                  Chuck Golden <bagnoli2@...> wrote: Anita,

                  <Woodsy@...> wrote:

                  > She was a self-made woman, as you described. That's what makes her
                  so
                  > admirable to me – that she got so far starting with so little. But
                  she was
                  > every bit as tragic as Marilyn Monroe, IMO; she never truly
                  overcame her
                  > inner `demons' so she sabotaged herself and drove away anyone who
                  got close
                  > to her. I'd like to know the whole story of her dismissal from
                  Denishawn.
                  > I'd read that she drank heavily and often didn't show up for
                  rehearsals.
                  > Today we have help for kids with drinking/drug problems, anti-social
                  > behavior, victims of abuse, etc. Unfortunately, such programs
                  didn't exist
                  > then.
                  >

                  > I've just joined the group, too, and have read only "Lulu in
                  Hollywood" and
                  > whatever I can find on the net. I also have the "Biography" special
                  on DVD.
                  > I see that Barry Paris' bio is a must.
                  >

                  > (Neve Campbell certainly looks the part!)
                  >

                  > Anita M.

                  Perri Lee Leuthard

                  Message 8 of 29 , Apr 30, 2007
                    I don't think she feared success; I think she hated its intensity
                    more than anything else. Plus, she hated, I think, the empty that
                    accompanies success sometimes. But, that's just a thought of mine.

                    -Dario.

                    Message 9 of 29 , May 5 9:37 AM
                      WHOOPS!!!!! I meant "emptiness." Sorry, folks!

                      Message 10 of 29 , May 5 8:26 PM
                        The way I look at it she was more concerned about the loss of
                        personal control. Like if Oprah had tried to put her book in her
                        book club Louise would likely refuse on the grounds any
                        success would "belong" to Oprah and not to her...
                      • Anita M
                        Message 11 of 29 , May 6 5:13 AM
                          I can understand that, and I wouldn’t blame her, either.

                          Anita M.

                          "Love is not something wonderful that you feel; it is something difficult
                          that you do." - Elizabeth Goudge

                          _____

                            <no_reply@...> wrote:

                            > I don't think she feared success; I think she hated its intensity
                            > more than anything else. Plus, she hated, I think, the empty that
                            > accompanies success sometimes. But, that's just a thought of mine.
                            >
                            > -Dario.
                            >

                            > --- In thenewcovenoflouise
                            <mailto:thenewcovenoflouisebrooks%40yahoogroups.com> brooks@yahoogroups.com,
                            "Anita M"
> [...]
                            on
                            > > > Louise Brooks, because she is virtually unknown to most film
                            > > > viewers, especially since most film viewers are NOT silent film
                            > > fans
                            > > > at all. It's a very tiny community, the silent film viewing
                            > > > community, but a very fierce and loyal bunch, to be sure. In
                            > fact,
                            > > > there are many silent film fans who know ABSOLUTELY NOTHING
                            about
                            > > > Brooksie, which is a bit shocking.
                            > > >
                            > > > -Dario.
                            > > >
                            > > > --- In thenewcovenoflouise
                            > > <mailto:thenewcovenoflouisebrooks%40yahoogroups.com>
                            > brooks@yahoogroups. <mailto:brooks%40yahoogroups.com> com,
                            > > Perri Lee

                            > > > and was a player that fully enjoyed life and refused to take
                            > > > negative energy off others.

                            > > > know of any sort of psycological profile on Louise

                          • Chuck Golden
                            Message 13 of 29 , May 6 6:28 AM
                              I think you've hit on one of THE major aspects of her personality. All
                              through the Paris bio, especially towards the end, it's evident that
                              she had to be in control - not so much in control of the people but in
                              control of the situation. Ken Tynan wrote the blockbuster piece "The
                              Girl in the Black Helmet" for the New Yorker which shot her back to the
                              top of the public consciousness. Not long afterwards, she got word
                              from him that he'd been out on the West Coast discussing (without her
                              knowing it) a bio-pic with a major Hollywood director. She went
                              ballistic, refused any thought of letting the film be done (despite the
                              increased fame and money), and cut Ken Tynan off forever. She
                              excoriated him for having the temerity of discussing a project that
                              involved her behind her back. The evident botton line is that she
                              wouldn't agree to putting herself and her story in a situation where
                              she couldn't be 100% in control of it.

                              Now, as to why she was so much that way... any psycologists out there?
                              Certainly, she was her mother's daughter and the apple seldom falls far
                              from the tree. But she was far too complex for it to be something as
                              simple as that.

                              Message 14 of 29 , May 6 11:34 AM
                                I have to add one more thing to all of this. I think she did not want to publish her own bio or let anyone else do it because of all the escapades she was involved in aka party girl. I think this was also mixed with the twisted religious beliefs of her region and her day. Perri Lee

                                Chuck Golden <bagnoli2@...> wrote: I think you've hit on one of THE major aspects of her personality. All

                                Message 15 of 29 , May 7 5:38 AM
                                  I'm not sure that public knowledge of her escapades would have bothered her.
                                  She never appeared to be embarrassed about anything she did, nor cared what
                                  anyone else thought of her. I think it was a 100% control issue.

                                  Anita M.

                                  _____

                                  Chuck Golden <bagnoli2@yahoo. <mailto:bagnoli2%40yahoo.com> com> wrote: I
[...]

                                  olive_e_thomas

                                  Message 16 of 29 , May 7 6:06 AM
                                    Perri Lee,

                                    She said several times that one of the reasons she wouldn't publish
                                    her biography was that to do it properly would mean spilling all the
                                    sexual beans and that she had concerns about what this could
                                    potentially do to influence young girls. She admitted to her priest
                                    in the mid-50s that when she read about drinking she wanted a drink
                                    and when she read about sex she got excited. So she opted not to
                                    publish her memoirs out of concern for impressionable young women.
                                    On the one hand, she wouldn't renounce her lifestyle (standing toe-to-
                                    toe with her priest), on the other hand she was concerned about
                                    having young girls see her habits and lifestyle as desirable and
                                    exciting. Therein lies one of the many apparant contradictions of
                                    Louise Brooks. In fact, it's not so much a contradiction as a proof
                                    of her brutal, flint-like honesty. I am what I am, I don't plan on
                                    being anything but what I am, and you don't want to be what I am.

                                    I'm not sure what you mean about the "twisted religions beliefs of
                                    her region and her day". The only periods in her life where religion
                                    was mentioned was a very short period in her mid-teens when she
                                    attended a Protestant church (in Wichita and staying just long enough
                                    to evidently have a fling with an older man in the church before
                                    moving to Manhatten), and for ten years as a Catholic between 1954
                                    and 1964 in New York. I certainly don't see either of them as being
                                    twisted in either location. Except for the Catholic period, I think
                                    Louise's attitude towards religion was ambivalence rather than
                                    antagonism. Interestingly, despite her declaring that she left the
                                    Church in 1964, when she died one of the few things of note in her
                                    little apartment was a crucifix at the end of her bed. I think she
                                    had a statue of the Virgin on her dresser as well. If she saw the
                                    religious beliefs of her day as twisted she never hinted at that
                                    opinion.

                                    Cheers!

                                    <cheaptrickaz@...> wrote:

                                    > I have to add one more thing to all of this. I think she did not
                                    want to publish her own bio or let anyone else do it because of all
                                    the escapades she was involved in aka party girl. I think this was
                                    also mixed with the twisted religious beliefs of her region and her
                                    day. Perri Lee

                                    > Chuck Golden <bagnoli2@...> wrote: I think you've hit on
                                    one of THE major aspects of her personality. All
                                    > through the Paris bio, especially towards the end, it's evident
                                    that
                                    > she had to be in control - not so much in control of the people but
                                    in
                                    > control of the situation. Ken Tynan wrote the blockbuster
                                    piece "The
                                    > Girl in the Black Helmet" for the New Yorker which shot her back to
                                    the
                                    > top of the public consciousness. Not long afterwards, she got word
                                    > from him that he'd been out on the West Coast discussing (without
                                    her
                                    > knowing it) a bio-pic with a major Hollywood director. She went
                                    > ballistic, refused any thought of letting the film be done (despite
                                    the
                                    > increased fame and money), and cut Ken Tynan off forever. She
                                    > excoriated him for having the temerity of discussing a project that
                                    > involved her behind her back. The evident botton line is that she
                                    > wouldn't agree to putting herself and her story in a situation
                                    where
                                    > she couldn't be 100% in control of it.
                                    >
                                    > Now, as to why she was so much that way... any psycologists out
                                    there?
                                    > Certainly, she was her mother's daughter and the apple seldom falls
                                    far
                                    > from the tree. But she was far too complex for it to be something
                                    as
                                    > simple as that.
                                    >
                                    > --- In thenewcovenoflouisebrooks@yahoogroups.com, olive_e_thomas
                                    > <no_reply@> wrote:
                                    > >
                                    > > The way I look at it she was more concerned about the loss of
                                    > > personal control. Like if Oprah had tried to put her book in her
                                    > > book club Louise would likely refuse on the grounds any
                                    > > success would "belong" to Oprah and not to her...
                                    > >

                                    > Perri Lee Leuthard

                                  • Perri Lee
                                    Message 17 of 29 , May 7 8:49 AM
                                      I still beleive that the reason she did not publish was some how tied to the twisted religious moral thing. It is why I feel she did not write and it still is the same thing and reason why people and persons hold themselves back today. But of course this is getting to be too large of a subject for this group. thanks

                                      Chuck Golden <bagnoli2@...> wrote: Perri Lee,

                                      <cheaptrickaz@...> wrote:

                                      > I have to add one more thing to all of this. I think she did not
                                      want to publish her own bio or let anyone else do it because of all
                                      the escapades she was involved in aka party girl. I think this was
                                      also mixed with the twisted religious beliefs of her region and her
                                      day. Perri Lee

                                      > Chuck Golden <bagnoli2@...> wrote: I think you've hit on
                                      one of THE major aspects of her personality. All
                                      > through the Paris bio, especially towards the end, it's evident
                                      that
                                      > she had to be in control - not so much in control of the people but
                                      in
                                      > control of the situation. Ken Tynan wrote the blockbuster
                                      piece "The
                                      > Girl in the Black Helmet" for the New Yorker which shot her back to
                                      the
                                      > top of the public consciousness. Not long afterwards, she got word
                                      > from him that he'd been out on the West Coast discussing (without
                                      her
                                      > knowing it) a bio-pic with a major Hollywood director. She went
                                      > ballistic, refused any thought of letting the film be done (despite
                                      the
                                      > increased fame and money), and cut Ken Tynan off forever. She
                                      > excoriated him for having the temerity of discussing a project that
                                      > involved her behind her back. The evident botton line is that she
                                      > wouldn't agree to putting herself and her story in a situation
                                      where
                                      > she couldn't be 100% in control of it.
                                      >
                                      > Now, as to why she was so much that way... any psycologists out
                                      there?
                                      > Certainly, she was her mother's daughter and the apple seldom falls
                                      far
                                      > from the tree. But she was far too complex for it to be something
                                      as
                                      > simple as that.
                                      >
                                      > --- In thenewcovenoflouisebrooks@yahoogroups.com, olive_e_thomas
                                      > <no_reply@> wrote:
                                      > >
                                      > > The way I look at it she was more concerned about the loss of
                                      > > personal control. Like if Oprah had tried to put her book in her
                                      > > book club Louise would likely refuse on the grounds any
                                      > > success would "belong" to Oprah and not to her...
                                      > >

                                      > Perri Lee Leuthard

                                      Perri Lee Leuthard

                                    • Anita M
                                      Message 18 of 29 , May 7 9:15 AM
                                        IMO she was being socially responsible; particularly in respect to underage
                                        girls, who (judging from my own experience) are impressionable and most
                                        likely to seek out those kinds of stories. At that point in my life, illegal
                                        drug use and being an underachiever was glorified. I knew people who bought
                                        into that and regretted it later. Instead of writing about her adventures
                                        and saying at the end “don’t do what I did,” (which seldom carries any
                                        weight if ever) she chose not to tell at all.

                                        Whether it mattered to her or not Brooksie knew that in her day “spilling
                                        the sexual beans” could ruin a career; today it enhances it. (If you ever
                                        have to stand in line in a grocery store, you know which celebrities are
                                        doing what because the tabloids are in plain sight whether you want to see
                                        them or not.)

                                        Anita M.

                                        _____

                                        Message 19 of 29 , May 7 10:30 AM
                                          That's quite true, Olive. Brooksie always wanted to control the
                                          situation, so that she could be the center of attention. It was that
                                          way at home, when she and her mother bickered, and it continued well
                                          into adulthood. She was her own marching band, which turned a lot of
                                          people off, that's for sure.

                                          Message 20 of 29 , May 7 10:34 AM
                                            She was a very willful person, Chuck; it was her way and nothing
                                            else. Clara Bow was like that to an extent, but she was outgoing and
                                            cheerful towards all that met Clara. But Brooksie was moody,
                                            taciturn at times, and an intelectual snob, who thought that she was
                                            above everyone when it came film(film history, film making, actors &
                                            actresses, etc.), literature, politics, sex, male/female
                                            relationships, etc. And, very opinionated. But, I love her for it,
                                            because she would be who she was if she wasn't that in the first
                                            place. I marvel at her strong sense of independence. That made her
                                            stand out more than her contemporaries.

                                            -Dario.

                                            --- In thenewcovenoflouisebrooks@yahoogroups.com, "Chuck Golden"

                                            Message 21 of 29 , May 7 12:24 PM
                                              I doubt that Louise had much concern for ruining the morals of
                                              children (she seemed more from the WC Fields school of
                                              child-care in that respect). My guess is - assuming she really
                                              ever wrote a full memoir - she just didn't like the snot-nosed little
                                              brat she came off sounding like in print and opted for a more
                                              selective approach. Or the final result just looks like crap and it
                                              was easier to torch than try and rewrite...

                                              It could also be that she opted for little set pieces instead of one
                                              whole go so that she could improve her writing skills as she
                                              went.

                                              But "social responsibilty" and "Louise Brooks" are two sets of
                                              words that just don't seem to go together...

                                              <Woodsy@...> wrote:

                                              > IMO she was being socially responsible; particularly in respect
                                              to underage
                                              > girls, who (judging from my own experience) are
                                              impressionable and most
                                              > likely to seek out those kinds of stories. At that point in my life,
                                              illegal
                                              > drug use and being an underachiever was glorified. I knew
                                              people who bought
                                              > into that and regretted it later. Instead of writing about her
                                              adventures
                                              > and saying at the end "don't do what I did," (which seldom
                                              carries any
                                              > weight if ever) she chose not to tell at all.
                                              >

                                              > Whether it mattered to her or not Brooksie knew that in her day
                                              "spilling
                                              > the sexual beans" could ruin a career; today it enhances it. (If
                                              you ever
                                              > have to stand in line in a grocery store, you know which
                                              celebrities are
                                              > doing what because the tabloids are in plain sight whether you
                                              want to see
                                              > them or not.)
                                              >

                                              > Anita M.
                                              >

                                              > _____

                                              Profile?

                                              Message 22 of 29 , May 9 10:58 AM
                                                HEAR, HEAR!!! Discriminatory would probably be a better word for
                                                what Brooksie was all about, in respect to people, art, literature,
                                                etc. You hit the nail on the head perfectly, Olive. Kudos!

                                                > I doubt that Louise had much concern for ruining the morals of
                                                > children (she seemed more from the WC Fields school of
                                                > child-care in that respect). My guess is - assuming she really
                                                > ever wrote a full memoir - she just didn't like the snot-nosed
                                                little
                                                > brat she came off sounding like in print and opted for a more
                                                > selective approach. Or the final result just looks like crap and
                                                it
                                                > was easier to torch than try and rewrite...
                                                >
                                                > It could also be that she opted for little set pieces instead of
                                                one
                                                > whole go so that she could improve her writing skills as she
                                                > went.
                                                >
                                                > But "social responsibilty" and "Louise Brooks" are two sets of
                                                > words that just don't seem to go together...
                                                >
                                                > --- In thenewcovenoflouisebrooks@yahoogroups.com, "Anita M"
                                                > <Woodsy@> wrote:
                                                > >
                                                > > IMO she was being socially responsible; particularly in respect
                                                > to underage
                                                > > girls, who (judging from my own experience) are
                                                > impressionable and most
                                                > > likely to seek out those kinds of stories. At that point in my
                                                life,
                                                > illegal
                                                > > drug use and being an underachiever was glorified. I knew
                                                > people who bought
                                                > > into that and regretted it later. Instead of writing about her
                                                > adventures
                                                > > and saying at the end "don't do what I did," (which seldom
                                                > carries any
                                                > > weight if ever) she chose not to tell at all.
                                                > >

                                                > > Whether it mattered to her or not Brooksie knew that in her day
                                                > "spilling
                                                > > the sexual beans" could ruin a career; today it enhances it. (If
                                                > you ever
                                                > > have to stand in line in a grocery store, you know which
                                                > celebrities are
                                                > > doing what because the tabloids are in plain sight whether you
                                                > want to see
                                                > > them or not.)
                                                > >

                                                > > Anita M.
                                                > >

                                                > > _____

                                              • Anita M.
                                                Message 23 of 29 , May 9 6:20 PM
                                                  Now I'm confused.

                                                  Chuck said "She said several times that one of the reasons she
                                                  wouldn't publish her biography was that to do it properly would mean
                                                  spilling all the sexual beans and that she had concerns about what
                                                  this could potentially do to influence young girls. She admitted to
                                                  her priest in the mid-50s that when she read about drinking she
                                                  wanted a drink and when she read about sex she got excited. So she
                                                  opted not to publish her memoirs out of concern for impressionable
                                                  young women."

                                                  But then, some people say one thing one day and the opposite another
                                                  day - maybe a way to hold onto a little privacy.

                                                  Anita M.

                                                  Message 24 of 29 , May 9 6:30 PM
                                                    Some clue as to her reasoning might be found in her comments
                                                    after turning down Playboy magazine for a writing job "all they
                                                    want is (an article about) tits and free-fucking for men."

                                                    Message 25 of 29 , May 12 10:45 AM
                                                      Brooksie was trying to protect herself from what others said about
                                                      her. She never did trust people whom she met and later talked trash
                                                      about her. Brooksie was one tough egg to crack, that's for sure.

                                                      -Dario.