Psycological Profile?

  • Chuck Golden
    Message 1 of 29 , Apr 24, 2007
      Has anyone seen or know of any sort of psycological profile on Louise
      Brooks? I'm in my third straight reading of Barry Paris' bio of her
      and I find her to be psycologically baffling. What an incredibly
      complex person!
    • Perri Lee
      Message 2 of 29 , Apr 26, 2007
        I don't think she was that complex. She was hot and she knew it and was a player that fully enjoyed life and refused to take negative energy off others.

        Chuck Golden <bagnoli2@...> wrote: Has anyone seen or know of any sort of psycological profile on Louise
        Brooks? I'm in my third straight reading of Barry Paris' bio of her
        and I find her to be psycologically baffling. What an incredibly
        complex person!

        Perri Lee Leuthard

        Message 3 of 29 , Apr 26, 2007
          To the both of you, there has never been a psychological study on
          Louise Brooks, because she is virtually unknown to most film
          viewers, especially since most film viewers are NOT silent film fans
          at all. It's a very tiny community, the silent film viewing
          community, but a very fierce and loyal bunch, to be sure. In fact,
          there are many silent film fans who know ABSOLUTELY NOTHING about
          Brooksie, which is a bit shocking.

          -Dario.

          --- In thenewcovenoflouisebrooks@yahoogroups.com, Perri Lee

        • SMILEYJEN1@JUNO.COM
          Message 4 of 29 , Apr 26, 2007
            She is a most fascinating creature. My own amateur opinion is that she
            was afraid of success; more specifically, what would happen if she
            allowed herself to be happy with it. Think back to Mr Flowers. She
            followed a friendly face that promised her pleasant things, only to strip
            her of her childhood in return. This seemed to be a prevailing theme in
            her life - she would never be complacent again.

            Yes, I was a psych minor in college,
            Jennifer ^_^

            Message 5 of 29 , Apr 27, 2007
              Yes she was, Jennifer. A fascinating person, indeed. Yes, I agree
              with you that Brooksie was a bit afraid of success, but, I think her
              troubles were that both of her parents didn't give her enough
              attention that they should have to her and her siblings. As Brooksie
              herself said one time, just to paraphrase her, her parents were more
              in love with each other than with their kids. They prefered that
              their childern, or "squaling brats" fend for themselves.

              -Dario.

              --- In thenewcovenoflouisebrooks@yahoogroups.com, SMILEYJEN1@...
              wrote:

              > She is a most fascinating creature. My own amateur opinion is that
              she
              > was afraid of success; more specifically, what would happen if she
              > allowed herself to be happy with it. Think back to Mr Flowers. She
              > followed a friendly face that promised her pleasant things, only to
              strip
              > her of her childhood in return. This seemed to be a prevailing
              theme in
              > her life - she would never be complacent again.
              >
              > Yes, I was a psych minor in college,
              > Jennifer ^_^
              >

              > On Thu, 26 Apr 2007 17:56:30 -0000 nutsaboutclara
              > <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> writes:
              > To the both of you, there has never been a psychological study on
              > Louise Brooks, because she is virtually unknown to most film
              > viewers, especially since most film viewers are NOT silent film
              fans
              > at all. It's a very tiny community, the silent film viewing
              > community, but a very fierce and loyal bunch, to be sure. In fact,
              > there are many silent film fans who know ABSOLUTELY NOTHING about
              > Brooksie, which is a bit shocking.
              >
              > -Dario.
              >
              > --- In thenewcovenoflouisebrooks@yahoogroups.com, Perri Lee
              > <cheaptrickaz@> wrote:
              > >
              > > I don't think she was that complex. She was hot and she knew it
              > and was a player that fully enjoyed life and refused to take
              > negative energy off others.
              > >
              > > Chuck Golden <bagnoli2@> wrote: Has anyone seen or
              > know of any sort of psycological profile on Louise
              > > Brooks? I'm in my third straight reading of Barry Paris' bio of
              > her
              > > and I find her to be psycologically baffling. What an incredibly
              > > complex person!
              > >

              > > Perri Lee Leuthard

            • Anita M
              Message 6 of 29 , Apr 27, 2007
                True, she pretty much said she “raised herself.” There are several reasons
                she didn’t want to succeed, some we can guess at and some we’ll never know.

                AM

                _____

                <mailto:thenewcovenoflouisebrooks%40yahoogroups.com> brooks@yahoogroups.com,
                SMILEYJEN1@...
                wrote:

                > She is a most fascinating creature. My own amateur opinion is that
                she
                > was afraid of success; more specifically, what would happen if she
                > allowed herself to be happy with it. Think back to Mr Flowers. She
                > followed a friendly face that promised her pleasant things, only to
                strip
                > her of her childhood in return. This seemed to be a prevailing
                theme in
                > her life - she would never be complacent again.
                >
                > Yes, I was a psych minor in college,
                > Jennifer ^_^
                >

                > On Thu, 26 Apr 2007 17:56:30 -0000 nutsaboutclara
                > <no_reply@yahoogroup <mailto:no_reply%40yahoogroups.com> s.com> writes:
                > To the both of you, there has never been a psychological study on
                > Louise Brooks, because she is virtually unknown to most film
                > viewers, especially since most film viewers are NOT silent film
                fans
                > at all. It's a very tiny community, the silent film viewing
                > community, but a very fierce and loyal bunch, to be sure. In fact,
                > there are many silent film fans who know ABSOLUTELY NOTHING about
                > Brooksie, which is a bit shocking.
                >
                > -Dario.
                >
                > --- In thenewcovenoflouise
                <mailto:thenewcovenoflouisebrooks%40yahoogroups.com> brooks@yahoogroups.com,
                Perri Lee
                > <cheaptrickaz@> wrote:
                > >
                > > I don't think she was that complex. She was hot and she knew it
                > and was a player that fully enjoyed life and refused to take
                > negative energy off others.
                > >
                > > Chuck Golden <bagnoli2@> wrote: Has anyone seen or
                > know of any sort of psycological profile on Louise
                > > Brooks? I'm in my third straight reading of Barry Paris' bio of
                > her
                > > and I find her to be psycologically baffling. What an incredibly
                > > complex person!
                > >

                > > Perri Lee Leuthard

              • Chuck Golden
                Message 7 of 29 , Apr 28, 2007
                  Thanks for the great discussion, everybody, I just joined the group
                  and you seem like my kind of people. As originally mentioned, I'm in
                  my third reading of Barry Paris's bio of her. It doesn't usually take
                  very long to figure out a person. Whether you interact with them in
                  person or read about them (with enough detail), you can normally put
                  them into one or two catagories. Not Louise Brooks, at least with me
                  so far. I'll be fourty-seven in a month or so, and I've dealt with
                  thousands of people by now. I enjoy histories and biographies and
                  have read a great many of both. Nobody I know or have studies so
                  intrigues and disturbs me like Louise.

                  Small-town girl, aesthete, great dancer, unbelievably well-read,
                  articulate, undisciplined, sexually abused, emotionally abused,
                  neglected, great actor, promiscuous, prostitute, Catholic,
                  self-destructive, the list goes on and on. She was a high school
                  dropout who was able to write like a professional at age seventeen,
                  and did so. She had no formal acting training that I knew of, but at
                  twenty-one she was Lulu. She was most likely of genious mentality but
                  throughout her life she systematically did everything possible to
                  destroy herself. She was such a complex, complex person.

                  Like most everyone, I fully believe that her biggest problems sprang
                  from her upbringing. You can't overstate the emotional damage brought
                  onto a child by parental neglect and sexual abuse, and Louise suffered
                  both of them. I can't help but wonder what she would have been like
                  if her mother had shown her even a modicom of affection and hadn't
                  blamed her when Louise told her mother at age nine for being raped by
                  Mr. Flowers. I also believe, because she said as much when she was
                  old, that she only wanted to be a dancer. The one thing in her life
                  to which she had given focused and committed attention was her studies
                  at Denishawn, and I think that her getting so viciously dismissed from
                  the group at seventeen fractured something in her psyche that never
                  healed. I could go on for hour. Ask my wife, she'll tell you. :o)

                  Louise was wonderful. Disturbing, but wonderful. I wonder if I'd
                  have liked her.
                • Perri Lee

                    Message 9 of 29 , Apr 29, 2007
                      She was a self-made woman, as you described. That’s what makes her so
                      admirable to me – that she got so far starting with so little. But she was
                      every bit as tragic as Marilyn Monroe, IMO; she never truly overcame her
                      inner ‘demons’ so she sabotaged herself and drove away anyone who got close
                      to her. I’d like to know the whole story of her dismissal from Denishawn.
                      I’d read that she drank heavily and often didn’t show up for rehearsals.
                      Today we have help for kids with drinking/drug problems, anti-social
                      behavior, victims of abuse, etc. Unfortunately, such programs didn’t exist
                      then.

                      I’ve just joined the group, too, and have read only “Lulu in Hollywood” and
                      whatever I can find on the net. I also have the “Biography” special on DVD.
                      I see that Barry Paris’ bio is a must.

                      (Neve Campbell certainly looks the part!)

                      Anita M.
                    • Chuck Golden
                      Message 10 of 29 , Apr 30, 2007
                        Anita,

                        She wasn't quite the fully-fledged hellion yet when she was kicked
                        off the Denishawn team, but she was well on her way. She went to New
                        York with a chaperone at first, but she quickly graduated from paying
                        student to paid troupe member with lots of travel involved. Barry
                        Paris doesn't say much if anything about the chaperone when Louise
                        was picked up as a regular. Likely she went home to Kansas soon
                        thereafter. On the road, she was required to be above moral and
                        social reproach, but she wasn't always. She was the subject of a lot
                        of rumors and her reputation soured. She was evidently sneaking
                        around to clubs and not coming back to the room until wake-up time.
                        Being an incredible dancer, however, her pecadillos were overlooked
                        for the most part. She toured, and starred, with the troupe for two
                        seasons, getting harder and harder to manage all the time, more
                        independent, more stubborn, fuller and fuller of herself. Finally,
                        she came into a group meeting late and the boss gave her the heave-ho
                        in front of everybody. Not so much as a word of caution is ever
                        mentioned as I recalled. She just crossed the line once too many
                        times and got the boot. Ruth St. Denis gave told her she was being
                        dismissed because she wanted the world on a silver salver. Soon
                        after that, she was dancing in Scandals and later Zeigfield, that's
                        when she really started racing the party engine. Hope this helps!

                        And do get the Barry Paris book, you'll love it.

                        --- In thenewcovenoflouisebrooks@yahoogroups.com, "Anita M"
                        <Woodsy@...> wrote:

                        > She was a self-made woman, as you described. That's what makes her
                        so
                        > admirable to me – that she got so far starting with so little. But
                        she was
                        > every bit as tragic as Marilyn Monroe, IMO; she never truly
                        overcame her
                        > inner `demons' so she sabotaged herself and drove away anyone who
                        got close
                        > to her. I'd like to know the whole story of her dismissal from
                        Denishawn.
                        > I'd read that she drank heavily and often didn't show up for
                        rehearsals.
                        > Today we have help for kids with drinking/drug problems, anti-social
                        > behavior, victims of abuse, etc. Unfortunately, such programs
                        didn't exist
                        > then.
                        >

                        > I've just joined the group, too, and have read only "Lulu in
                        Hollywood" and
                        > whatever I can find on the net. I also have the "Biography" special
                        on DVD.
                        > I see that Barry Paris' bio is a must.
                        >

                        > (Neve Campbell certainly looks the part!)
                        >

                        > Anita M.

                      • Perri Lee
                        Message 11 of 29 , Apr 30, 2007
                          In one of her bio's she was quoted as saying "I love to drink and fuck" she was quite the party girl. I would have loved to have been a fly on the wall the afternoon her and Charlie Chaplin and another woman was in a hotel room all after noon and was drinking and Louise doing the Charleston..That was a story in one of the bio's . Happy reading

                          Chuck Golden <bagnoli2@...> wrote: Anita,

                          <Woodsy@...> wrote:

                          > She was a self-made woman, as you described. That's what makes her
                          so
                          > admirable to me – that she got so far starting with so little. But
                          she was
                          > every bit as tragic as Marilyn Monroe, IMO; she never truly
                          overcame her
                          > inner `demons' so she sabotaged herself and drove away anyone who
                          got close
                          > to her. I'd like to know the whole story of her dismissal from
                          Denishawn.
                          > I'd read that she drank heavily and often didn't show up for
                          rehearsals.
                          > Today we have help for kids with drinking/drug problems, anti-social
                          > behavior, victims of abuse, etc. Unfortunately, such programs
                          didn't exist
                          > then.
                          >

                          > I've just joined the group, too, and have read only "Lulu in
                          Hollywood" and
                          > whatever I can find on the net. I also have the "Biography" special
                          on DVD.
                          > I see that Barry Paris' bio is a must.
                          >

                          > (Neve Campbell certainly looks the part!)
                          >

                          > Anita M.

                          Perri Lee Leuthard

                          Message 12 of 29 , Apr 30, 2007
                            I don't think she feared success; I think she hated its intensity
                            more than anything else. Plus, she hated, I think, the empty that
                            accompanies success sometimes. But, that's just a thought of mine.

                            -Dario.

                            Message 13 of 29 , May 5, 2007
                              WHOOPS!!!!! I meant "emptiness." Sorry, folks!

                              Message 14 of 29 , May 5, 2007
                                The way I look at it she was more concerned about the loss of
                                personal control. Like if Oprah had tried to put her book in her
                                book club Louise would likely refuse on the grounds any
                                success would "belong" to Oprah and not to her...
                              • Anita M
                                Message 15 of 29 , May 6, 2007
                                  I can understand that, and I wouldn’t blame her, either.

                                  Anita M.

                                  "Love is not something wonderful that you feel; it is something difficult
                                  that you do." - Elizabeth Goudge

                                  _____

                                    <no_reply@...> wrote:

                                    > I don't think she feared success; I think she hated its intensity
                                    > more than anything else. Plus, she hated, I think, the empty that
                                    > accompanies success sometimes. But, that's just a thought of mine.
                                    >
                                    > -Dario.
                                    >

                                    > --- In thenewcovenoflouise
                                    <mailto:thenewcovenoflouisebrooks%40yahoogroups.com> brooks@yahoogroups.com,
                                    "Anita M"
> [...]
                                    on
                                    > > > Louise Brooks, because she is virtually unknown to most film
                                    > > > viewers, especially since most film viewers are NOT silent film
                                    > > fans
                                    > > > at all. It's a very tiny community, the silent film viewing
                                    > > > community, but a very fierce and loyal bunch, to be sure. In
                                    > fact,
                                    > > > there are many silent film fans who know ABSOLUTELY NOTHING
                                    about
                                    > > > Brooksie, which is a bit shocking.
                                    > > >
                                    > > > -Dario.
                                    > > >
                                    > > > --- In thenewcovenoflouise
                                    > > <mailto:thenewcovenoflouisebrooks%40yahoogroups.com>
                                    > brooks@yahoogroups. <mailto:brooks%40yahoogroups.com> com,
                                    > > Perri Lee

                                    > > > and was a player that fully enjoyed life and refused to take
                                    > > > negative energy off others.

                                    > > > know of any sort of psycological profile on Louise

                                  • Chuck Golden
                                    Message 17 of 29 , May 6, 2007
                                      I think you've hit on one of THE major aspects of her personality. All
                                      through the Paris bio, especially towards the end, it's evident that
                                      she had to be in control - not so much in control of the people but in
                                      control of the situation. Ken Tynan wrote the blockbuster piece "The
                                      Girl in the Black Helmet" for the New Yorker which shot her back to the
                                      top of the public consciousness. Not long afterwards, she got word
                                      from him that he'd been out on the West Coast discussing (without her
                                      knowing it) a bio-pic with a major Hollywood director. She went
                                      ballistic, refused any thought of letting the film be done (despite the
                                      increased fame and money), and cut Ken Tynan off forever. She
                                      excoriated him for having the temerity of discussing a project that
                                      involved her behind her back. The evident botton line is that she
                                      wouldn't agree to putting herself and her story in a situation where
                                      she couldn't be 100% in control of it.

                                      Now, as to why she was so much that way... any psycologists out there?
                                      Certainly, she was her mother's daughter and the apple seldom falls far
                                      from the tree. But she was far too complex for it to be something as
                                      simple as that.

                                      Message 18 of 29 , May 6, 2007
                                        I have to add one more thing to all of this. I think she did not want to publish her own bio or let anyone else do it because of all the escapades she was involved in aka party girl. I think this was also mixed with the twisted religious beliefs of her region and her day. Perri Lee

                                        Chuck Golden <bagnoli2@...> wrote: I think you've hit on one of THE major aspects of her personality. All

                                        Message 19 of 29 , May 7, 2007
                                          I'm not sure that public knowledge of her escapades would have bothered her.
                                          She never appeared to be embarrassed about anything she did, nor cared what
                                          anyone else thought of her. I think it was a 100% control issue.

                                          Anita M.

                                          _____

                                          Chuck Golden <bagnoli2@yahoo. <mailto:bagnoli2%40yahoo.com> com> wrote: I
[...]

                                          olive_e_thomas

                                          Message 20 of 29 , May 7, 2007
                                            Perri Lee,

                                            She said several times that one of the reasons she wouldn't publish
                                            her biography was that to do it properly would mean spilling all the
                                            sexual beans and that she had concerns about what this could
                                            potentially do to influence young girls. She admitted to her priest
                                            in the mid-50s that when she read about drinking she wanted a drink
                                            and when she read about sex she got excited. So she opted not to
                                            publish her memoirs out of concern for impressionable young women.
                                            On the one hand, she wouldn't renounce her lifestyle (standing toe-to-
                                            toe with her priest), on the other hand she was concerned about
                                            having young girls see her habits and lifestyle as desirable and
                                            exciting. Therein lies one of the many apparant contradictions of
                                            Louise Brooks. In fact, it's not so much a contradiction as a proof
                                            of her brutal, flint-like honesty. I am what I am, I don't plan on
                                            being anything but what I am, and you don't want to be what I am.

                                            I'm not sure what you mean about the "twisted religions beliefs of
                                            her region and her day". The only periods in her life where religion
                                            was mentioned was a very short period in her mid-teens when she
                                            attended a Protestant church (in Wichita and staying just long enough
                                            to evidently have a fling with an older man in the church before
                                            moving to Manhatten), and for ten years as a Catholic between 1954
                                            and 1964 in New York. I certainly don't see either of them as being
                                            twisted in either location. Except for the Catholic period, I think
                                            Louise's attitude towards religion was ambivalence rather than
                                            antagonism. Interestingly, despite her declaring that she left the
                                            Church in 1964, when she died one of the few things of note in her
                                            little apartment was a crucifix at the end of her bed. I think she
                                            had a statue of the Virgin on her dresser as well. If she saw the
                                            religious beliefs of her day as twisted she never hinted at that
                                            opinion.

                                            Cheers!

                                            <cheaptrickaz@...> wrote:

                                            > I have to add one more thing to all of this. I think she did not
                                            want to publish her own bio or let anyone else do it because of all
                                            the escapades she was involved in aka party girl. I think this was
                                            also mixed with the twisted religious beliefs of her region and her
                                            day. Perri Lee

                                            > Chuck Golden <bagnoli2@...> wrote: I think you've hit on
                                            one of THE major aspects of her personality. All
                                            > through the Paris bio, especially towards the end, it's evident
                                            that
                                            > she had to be in control - not so much in control of the people but
                                            in
                                            > control of the situation. Ken Tynan wrote the blockbuster
                                            piece "The
                                            > Girl in the Black Helmet" for the New Yorker which shot her back to
                                            the
                                            > top of the public consciousness. Not long afterwards, she got word
                                            > from him that he'd been out on the West Coast discussing (without
                                            her
                                            > knowing it) a bio-pic with a major Hollywood director. She went
                                            > ballistic, refused any thought of letting the film be done (despite
                                            the
                                            > increased fame and money), and cut Ken Tynan off forever. She
                                            > excoriated him for having the temerity of discussing a project that
                                            > involved her behind her back. The evident botton line is that she
                                            > wouldn't agree to putting herself and her story in a situation
                                            where
                                            > she couldn't be 100% in control of it.
                                            >
                                            > Now, as to why she was so much that way... any psycologists out
                                            there?
                                            > Certainly, she was her mother's daughter and the apple seldom falls
                                            far
                                            > from the tree. But she was far too complex for it to be something
                                            as
                                            > simple as that.
                                            >
                                            > --- In thenewcovenoflouisebrooks@yahoogroups.com, olive_e_thomas
                                            > <no_reply@> wrote:
                                            > >
                                            > > The way I look at it she was more concerned about the loss of
                                            > > personal control. Like if Oprah had tried to put her book in her
                                            > > book club Louise would likely refuse on the grounds any
                                            > > success would "belong" to Oprah and not to her...
                                            > >

                                            > Perri Lee Leuthard

                                          • Perri Lee
                                            Message 21 of 29 , May 7, 2007
                                              I still beleive that the reason she did not publish was some how tied to the twisted religious moral thing. It is why I feel she did not write and it still is the same thing and reason why people and persons hold themselves back today. But of course this is getting to be too large of a subject for this group. thanks

                                              Chuck Golden <bagnoli2@...> wrote: Perri Lee,

                                              <cheaptrickaz@...> wrote:

                                              > I have to add one more thing to all of this. I think she did not
                                              want to publish her own bio or let anyone else do it because of all
                                              the escapades she was involved in aka party girl. I think this was
                                              also mixed with the twisted religious beliefs of her region and her
                                              day. Perri Lee

                                              > Chuck Golden <bagnoli2@...> wrote: I think you've hit on
                                              one of THE major aspects of her personality. All
                                              > through the Paris bio, especially towards the end, it's evident
                                              that
                                              > she had to be in control - not so much in control of the people but
                                              in
                                              > control of the situation. Ken Tynan wrote the blockbuster
                                              piece "The
                                              > Girl in the Black Helmet" for the New Yorker which shot her back to
                                              the
                                              > top of the public consciousness. Not long afterwards, she got word
                                              > from him that he'd been out on the West Coast discussing (without
                                              her
                                              > knowing it) a bio-pic with a major Hollywood director. She went
                                              > ballistic, refused any thought of letting the film be done (despite
                                              the
                                              > increased fame and money), and cut Ken Tynan off forever. She
                                              > excoriated him for having the temerity of discussing a project that
                                              > involved her behind her back. The evident botton line is that she
                                              > wouldn't agree to putting herself and her story in a situation
                                              where
                                              > she couldn't be 100% in control of it.
                                              >
                                              > Now, as to why she was so much that way... any psycologists out
                                              there?
                                              > Certainly, she was her mother's daughter and the apple seldom falls
                                              far
                                              > from the tree. But she was far too complex for it to be something
                                              as
                                              > simple as that.
                                              >
                                              > --- In thenewcovenoflouisebrooks@yahoogroups.com, olive_e_thomas
                                              > <no_reply@> wrote:
                                              > >
                                              > > The way I look at it she was more concerned about the loss of
                                              > > personal control. Like if Oprah had tried to put her book in her
                                              > > book club Louise would likely refuse on the grounds any
                                              > > success would "belong" to Oprah and not to her...
                                              > >

                                              > Perri Lee Leuthard

                                              Perri Lee Leuthard

                                            • Anita M
                                              Message 22 of 29 , May 7, 2007
                                                IMO she was being socially responsible; particularly in respect to underage
                                                girls, who (judging from my own experience) are impressionable and most
                                                likely to seek out those kinds of stories. At that point in my life, illegal
                                                drug use and being an underachiever was glorified. I knew people who bought
                                                into that and regretted it later. Instead of writing about her adventures
                                                and saying at the end “don’t do what I did,” (which seldom carries any
                                                weight if ever) she chose not to tell at all.

                                                Whether it mattered to her or not Brooksie knew that in her day “spilling
                                                the sexual beans” could ruin a career; today it enhances it. (If you ever
                                                have to stand in line in a grocery store, you know which celebrities are
                                                doing what because the tabloids are in plain sight whether you want to see
                                                them or not.)

                                                Anita M.

                                                _____

                                                Message 23 of 29 , May 7, 2007
                                                  That's quite true, Olive. Brooksie always wanted to control the
                                                  situation, so that she could be the center of attention. It was that
                                                  way at home, when she and her mother bickered, and it continued well
                                                  into adulthood. She was her own marching band, which turned a lot of
                                                  people off, that's for sure.

                                                  Message 24 of 29 , May 7, 2007
                                                    She was a very willful person, Chuck; it was her way and nothing
                                                    else. Clara Bow was like that to an extent, but she was outgoing and
                                                    cheerful towards all that met Clara. But Brooksie was moody,
                                                    taciturn at times, and an intelectual snob, who thought that she was
                                                    above everyone when it came film(film history, film making, actors &
                                                    actresses, etc.), literature, politics, sex, male/female
                                                    relationships, etc. And, very opinionated. But, I love her for it,
                                                    because she would be who she was if she wasn't that in the first
                                                    place. I marvel at her strong sense of independence. That made her
                                                    stand out more than her contemporaries.

                                                    -Dario.

                                                    --- In thenewcovenoflouisebrooks@yahoogroups.com, "Chuck Golden"

                                                    Message 25 of 29 , May 7, 2007
                                                      I doubt that Louise had much concern for ruining the morals of
                                                      children (she seemed more from the WC Fields school of
                                                      child-care in that respect). My guess is - assuming she really
                                                      ever wrote a full memoir - she just didn't like the snot-nosed little
                                                      brat she came off sounding like in print and opted for a more
                                                      selective approach. Or the final result just looks like crap and it
                                                      was easier to torch than try and rewrite...

                                                      It could also be that she opted for little set pieces instead of one
                                                      whole go so that she could improve her writing skills as she
                                                      went.

                                                      But "social responsibilty" and "Louise Brooks" are two sets of
                                                      words that just don't seem to go together...

                                                      <Woodsy@...> wrote:

                                                      > IMO she was being socially responsible; particularly in respect
                                                      to underage
                                                      > girls, who (judging from my own experience) are
                                                      impressionable and most
                                                      > likely to seek out those kinds of stories. At that point in my life,
                                                      illegal
                                                      > drug use and being an underachiever was glorified. I knew
                                                      people who bought
                                                      > into that and regretted it later. Instead of writing about her
                                                      adventures
                                                      > and saying at the end "don't do what I did," (which seldom
                                                      carries any
                                                      > weight if ever) she chose not to tell at all.
                                                      >

                                                      > Whether it mattered to her or not Brooksie knew that in her day
                                                      "spilling
                                                      > the sexual beans" could ruin a career; today it enhances it. (If
                                                      you ever
                                                      > have to stand in line in a grocery store, you know which
                                                      celebrities are
                                                      > doing what because the tabloids are in plain sight whether you
                                                      want to see
                                                      > them or not.)
                                                      >

                                                      > Anita M.
                                                      >

                                                      > _____

                                                      Profile?

                                                      Message 26 of 29 , May 9, 2007
                                                        HEAR, HEAR!!! Discriminatory would probably be a better word for
                                                        what Brooksie was all about, in respect to people, art, literature,
                                                        etc. You hit the nail on the head perfectly, Olive. Kudos!

                                                        > I doubt that Louise had much concern for ruining the morals of
                                                        > children (she seemed more from the WC Fields school of
                                                        > child-care in that respect). My guess is - assuming she really
                                                        > ever wrote a full memoir - she just didn't like the snot-nosed
                                                        little
                                                        > brat she came off sounding like in print and opted for a more
                                                        > selective approach. Or the final result just looks like crap and
                                                        it
                                                        > was easier to torch than try and rewrite...
                                                        >
                                                        > It could also be that she opted for little set pieces instead of
                                                        one
                                                        > whole go so that she could improve her writing skills as she
                                                        > went.
                                                        >
                                                        > But "social responsibilty" and "Louise Brooks" are two sets of
                                                        > words that just don't seem to go together...
                                                        >
                                                        > --- In thenewcovenoflouisebrooks@yahoogroups.com, "Anita M"
                                                        > <Woodsy@> wrote:
                                                        > >
                                                        > > IMO she was being socially responsible; particularly in respect
                                                        > to underage
                                                        > > girls, who (judging from my own experience) are
                                                        > impressionable and most
                                                        > > likely to seek out those kinds of stories. At that point in my
                                                        life,
                                                        > illegal
                                                        > > drug use and being an underachiever was glorified. I knew
                                                        > people who bought
                                                        > > into that and regretted it later. Instead of writing about her
                                                        > adventures
                                                        > > and saying at the end "don't do what I did," (which seldom
                                                        > carries any
                                                        > > weight if ever) she chose not to tell at all.
                                                        > >

                                                        > > Whether it mattered to her or not Brooksie knew that in her day
                                                        > "spilling
                                                        > > the sexual beans" could ruin a career; today it enhances it. (If
                                                        > you ever
                                                        > > have to stand in line in a grocery store, you know which
                                                        > celebrities are
                                                        > > doing what because the tabloids are in plain sight whether you
                                                        > want to see
                                                        > > them or not.)
                                                        > >

                                                        > > Anita M.
                                                        > >

                                                        > > _____

                                                      • Anita M.
                                                        Message 27 of 29 , May 9, 2007
                                                          Now I'm confused.

                                                          Chuck said "She said several times that one of the reasons she
                                                          wouldn't publish her biography was that to do it properly would mean
                                                          spilling all the sexual beans and that she had concerns about what
                                                          this could potentially do to influence young girls. She admitted to
                                                          her priest in the mid-50s that when she read about drinking she
                                                          wanted a drink and when she read about sex she got excited. So she
                                                          opted not to publish her memoirs out of concern for impressionable
                                                          young women."

                                                          But then, some people say one thing one day and the opposite another
                                                          day - maybe a way to hold onto a little privacy.

                                                          Anita M.

                                                          Message 28 of 29 , May 9, 2007
                                                            Some clue as to her reasoning might be found in her comments
                                                            after turning down Playboy magazine for a writing job "all they
                                                            want is (an article about) tits and free-fucking for men."

                                                            Message 29 of 29 , May 12, 2007
                                                              Brooksie was trying to protect herself from what others said about
                                                              her. She never did trust people whom she met and later talked trash
                                                              about her. Brooksie was one tough egg to crack, that's for sure.

                                                              -Dario.