1240Re: Lulu in The Guardian

  • ioracara
    Jan 24, 2009
      Like das impersonator, I have to disagree with this. I have traveled
      extensively in Europe, and there does not seem to be any greater
      popular appreciation for silent films than here in the U.S. The only
      country I've seen that has an appreciation for those films is possibly
      France, and they also seem to be the only one with any organized
      groups trying to preserve silents . . . but only a couple, and they
      are government sponsored.

      Here, however, we have a great number of groups dedicated to
      preserving old films, and most are publicly and corporately sponsored,
      as well as by the government. We have the LOC, but also the Eastman
      House, the AFI, Turner Classics, Kino, Criterion, UCLA, and on and on.
      I have no concrete info to make this next statement, but via
      observation I firmly believe more silent films have been preserved
      through American efforts than the rest of the world combined.

      Germany has no such groups, nor does Britain. Italy has enough trouble
      just being Italy. And Eastern Europe? Not at all.

      Furthermore, I know of theaters in at least three U.S. different
      cities that regularly show silent films, including one in Los Angeles
      that shows nothing BUT silent films. Even France cannot claim that.

      Grass is often greener on the other side, but in this case I think the
      original statement was incorrect in its assumption. Even though it's
      easy to make such claims, not everything in Europe is better than in
      the U.S.

      > True, but I was talking about the movie-going public of today, not
      > specifically the silent film fan base here in America. The silent
      > film fan base already appreciates Brooksie very much, but not the
      > general movie-going public; anything that's not made for today's
      > taste is held in high regard. Europeans on the other hand, not only
      > view today's films, but enjoy the classics of the past, including
      > silent films. That's why I posted the comment; Europeans appreciate
      > silent films more than the average American does. It's a reflection
      > of our times, really.
      > -Dario.
      > --- In thenewcovenoflouisebrooks@yahoogroups.com, "das_imperator"
      > <dasimperator@> wrote:
      > >
      > > To be fair you might want to check the member list of this and your
      > > Clara Bow group before making such a blanket statement. I'm sure the
      > > good old USA is fairly well represented in silent movie fandom. Most
      > > of the books and DVDs that cover the silent period come out of the
      > US
      > > market and do so because there are buyers for them.
      > >
      > > --- In thenewcovenoflouisebrooks@yahoogroups.com, nutsaboutclara
      > > <no_reply@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Nice to see Brooksie get a mention from the Guardian. At least
      > > > Europeans like the British appreciate silent film performers like
      > > > Louise, not like the rest of America, who could give a (blank)
      > about
      > > > silent film. Shame on the U.S.A.!
      > > >
      > > > -Dario.
      > > >

      > > > --- In thenewcovenoflouisebrooks@yahoogroups.com, olive_e_thomas