1172Re: [The New Coven of Louise Brooks] Anniversary

  • Peter
    Aug 10, 2008
      olive_e_thomas wrote:
      > There are a little over 150 active members on our rolls and 8
      > more that Yahoo lists as "Bouncing".

      ah. I went over a ton of groups a while ago and found several to my likings.
      Unfortunately most of them appear to be as dead as a door nail.
      Maybe Y should do some house keeping on the lot. Weed out a few 1000
      groups that have no members or zero flow.
      Makes it easier for people to find interesting groups that do work.
      > The Yahoo Group attached to the Louise Brooks Society has
      > over 1400 members but there hasn't been a posting there since
      > 2006

      A dead group then, you'd expect at least someone on that one to have a
      thought of some sort regarding her.
      But not a single post in 2 years is not a good sign.
      > Lulu in Cyberspace has about 230 members but their last
      > posting was over a year ago.

      I was subscribed to that one as well. Not a single message indeed so I
      dropped that one pretty quick.
      Several others supposedly had a moderate flow but those turned out to be
      spam mails only.
      I have a zero tolerance for that, whenever I connect to a group and the
      first message I get turns out to be spam I unsubscribe immediately.
      One group even has the moderator spamming the moment you sign on: he
      then sends out two messages to you personally pushing the thoughts of
      some money hungry preacher on you. A minute after the unsubscribe
      message went out two identical messages arrived. What a nerd.

      > So there's a bunch of Brooksfans out there...

      Oh. no doubt about that but they are all so quiet. Same with the Jean
      Harlow group though and I can understand the reason but its a bit
      frustrating to see tons of groups with lots of members and zero flow.
      Even the newsgroups remain empty.

      But I do see a recurring fact, lost of those are about classic movie
      stars and although there are a lot of devoted fans around for them, they
      have little to say which might be because most of the 'subjects' have
      passed on.
      Closed book so to speak.

      Still.

      She's at #145 when searching for "Brooks" on the IMDB.
      Her starmeter there went up 10% since last week. I have no pro
      subscription but would be interested to know why and how that meter
      actually works.
      The message board on imdb is relatively active, 5 pages of posts, thats
      not too bad I guess.

      Has anyone seen that Lulu in Belin docu once ?
    • Show all 30 messages in this topic