1074Re: [The New Coven of Louise Brooks] Psychological Profile?

    May 7, 2007
      I doubt that Louise had much concern for ruining the morals of
      children (she seemed more from the WC Fields school of
      child-care in that respect). My guess is - assuming she really
      ever wrote a full memoir - she just didn't like the snot-nosed little
      brat she came off sounding like in print and opted for a more
      selective approach. Or the final result just looks like crap and it
      was easier to torch than try and rewrite...

      It could also be that she opted for little set pieces instead of one
      whole go so that she could improve her writing skills as she

      But "social responsibilty" and "Louise Brooks" are two sets of
      words that just don't seem to go together...

      --- In thenewcovenoflouisebrooks@yahoogroups.com, "Anita M"
      <Woodsy@...> wrote:
      > IMO she was being socially responsible; particularly in respect
      to underage
      > girls, who (judging from my own experience) are
      impressionable and most
      > likely to seek out those kinds of stories. At that point in my life,
      > drug use and being an underachiever was glorified. I knew
      people who bought
      > into that and regretted it later. Instead of writing about her
      > and saying at the end "don't do what I did," (which seldom
      carries any
      > weight if ever) she chose not to tell at all.
      > Whether it mattered to her or not Brooksie knew that in her day
      > the sexual beans" could ruin a career; today it enhances it. (If
      you ever
      > have to stand in line in a grocery store, you know which
      celebrities are
      > doing what because the tabloids are in plain sight whether you
      want to see
      > them or not.)
      > Anita M.
      > _____
      Behalf Of Chuck Golden
      > Sent: Monday, May 07, 2007 8:06 AM
      > To: thenewcovenoflouisebrooks@yahoogroups.com
      > Subject: Re: [The New Coven of Louise Brooks] Psychological
      > Perri Lee,
      > She said several times that one of the reasons she wouldn't
      publish her
      > biography was that to do it properly would mean spilling all the
      > beans and that she had concerns about what this could
      potentially do to
      > influence young girls. She admitted to her priest in the mid-50s
      that when
      > she read about drinking she wanted a drink and when she
      read about sex she
      > got excited. So she opted not to publish her memoirs out of
      concern for
      > impressionable young women. On the one hand, she wouldn't
      renounce her
      > lifestyle (standing toe-to-toe with her priest), on the other hand
      she was
      > concerned about having young girls see her habits and
      lifestyle as desirable
      > and exciting. Therein lies one of the many apparant
      contradictions of
      > Louise Brooks. In fact, it's not so much a contradiction as a
      proof of her
      > brutal, flint-like honesty. I am what I am, I don't plan on being
      > but what I am, and you don't want to be what I am.
      > I'm not sure what you mean about the "twisted religions beliefs
      of her
      > region and her day". The only periods in her life where religion
      > mentioned was a very short period in her mid-teens when she
      attended a
      > Protestant church (in Wichita and staying just long enough to
      evidently have
      > a fling with an older man in the church before moving to
      Manhatten), and for