      From: thenewcovenoflouisebrooks@yahoogroups.com
      [mailto:thenewcovenoflouisebrooks@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Chuck Golden
      Sent: Monday, May 07, 2007 8:06 AM
      To: thenewcovenoflouisebrooks@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [The New Coven of Louise Brooks] Psychological Profile?

      Perri Lee,

      She said several times that one of the reasons she wouldn't publish her
      biography was that to do it properly would mean spilling all the sexual
      beans and that she had concerns about what this could potentially do to
      influence young girls. She admitted to her priest in the mid-50s that when
      she read about drinking she wanted a drink and when she read about sex she
      got excited. So she opted not to publish her memoirs out of concern for
      impressionable young women. On the one hand, she wouldn't renounce her
      lifestyle (standing toe-to-toe with her priest), on the other hand she was
      concerned about having young girls see her habits and lifestyle as desirable
      and exciting. Therein lies one of the many apparant contradictions of
      Louise Brooks. In fact, it's not so much a contradiction as a proof of her
      brutal, flint-like honesty. I am what I am, I don't plan on being anything
      but what I am, and you don't want to be what I am.

      I'm not sure what you mean about the "twisted religions beliefs of her
      region and her day". The only periods in her life where religion was
      mentioned was a very short period in her mid-teens when she attended a
      Protestant church (in Wichita and staying just long enough to evidently have
      a fling with an older man in the church before moving to Manhatten), and for
      ten years as a Catholic between 1954 and 1964 in New York. I certainly don't
      see either of them as being twisted in either location. Except for the
      Catholic period, I think Louise's attitude towards religion was ambivalence
      rather than antagonism. Interestingly, despite her declaring that she left
      the Church in 1964, when she died one of the few things of note in her
      little apartment was a crucifix at the end of her bed. I think she had a
      statue of the Virgin on her dresser as well. If she saw the religious
      beliefs of her day as twisted she never hinted at that opinion.

      > I have to add one more thing to all of this. I think she did not want to
      publish her own bio or let anyone else do it because of all the escapades
      she was involved in aka party girl. I think this was also mixed with the
      twisted religious beliefs of her region and her day. Perri Lee