AWARDS / OPPORTUNITIES 2004: National Young Filmmakers Award (UK)

  • Young People's Media Network
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 3, 2004
      SOURCE: http://www.bbc.co.uk/leeds/films/2004/01/nfma.doc

      a.. What is the National Young Filmmakers Award? The NYFA is designed to
      show the very best films made by young people in the UK as part of Leeds
      Children and Young People's Film Festival, a part of Leeds City Council.
      As a Film Festival we want to encourage good filmmaking and there are some
      notes below about the

      kind of film we are looking for.

      a.. Will all the films entered into the Festival be shown? Not all films
      sent to the Festival will be screened. We will select the films by screening
      them for a panel consisting of members of the Film Festival team, Laurence
      Boyce ~ film reviewer and journalist for magazines including Leeds Guide,
      Hotdog and kamera.co.uk, and a panel of children and young people from our
      Young Consultants group who will be working with us to plan the Festival.
      a.. Whilst there are no strict rules about the kind of films that should
      be entered for the Award, the selection panel will be looking for talent and
      originality in one or more of the following areas:
      a.. The idea for the film
      b.. The story or subject of the film
      c.. The use of filming equipment
      If your film is successful, then we will contact you by the beginning of
      March 2004. If you do not hear from us then your film has not been selected
      but there are many Film Festivals that accept films made by children and
      young people and if you are interested in knowing more about these please
      contact us and we can send you a list.

      To enter your film into the Festival it MUST be:

      a.. Produced by children/young people.
      By this we mean that the majority of the people involved in the production
      must be aged between 9 and 18 years old. In addition, the script or story
      must have been written or devised by young people aged 9 - 18 or under and
      young people must have been involved in using the camera and sound equipment
      and been involved in the editing process for the production.

      b.. Fiction (live action or animation) or Documentary
      c.. No longer than 10 Minutes
      d.. Completed after July 2002
      The films will also be divided up into the following sections according to
      the age of the filmmakers:

      Documentary

      a.. 9 - 14 years
      a.. 15 -18 years
      Fiction

      a.. 9 - 14 years
      b.. 15 - 18 years
      Chris Schuepp
      Young People's Media Network
      Coordinator

      c/o ecmc
      European Centre for Media Competence
      Bergstrasse 8
      D-45770 Marl
      Germany

      Phone: +49 176 2700 1399
      Email: cschuepp@...

      The YPMN is supported by UNICEF and hosted by the ECMC.