TRAINING: Education Makes News in Arab World

  • Young People's Media Network
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 29, 2005
      Education Makes News in Arab World
      28-04-2005 (UNESCO)

      Twenty journalists and media professionals from thirteen Arab countries representing Bahrain, Egypt, Kuwait, Iraq, Jordan, Lebanon, Oman, Palestine, Qatar, Syria, Saudi Arabia, United Arab Emirates and Yemen gathered in Doha, Qatar from 17 to 21 April to participate in the UNESCO-Aljazeera workshop on "Writing & Reporting on the Goals of Education for All (EFA)".

      The five-day workshop was hosted by UNESCO and organized at Al Jazeera Training Development Centre focused among all on developing better understanding of journalists on EFA, improving reporting and writing skills to highlight EFA goals by analyzing education budgets, policies, trends and systems and investigating the issues of EFA in the overall context of the Millennium Developmental Goals( MDGs). It also provided some insights to the undeniable link between education and development issues including gender and child rights the context of Arab countries.

      "The workshop provided me all the necessary information to bring educational news on the top of our news agenda," said Joëlle Riachi, a senior educational reporter from Lebanon's Nahar-An Newspaper. "We all know very well that education is paramount in our lives. But we need to present some human interest stories to get the attention of our viewers" said Amal Alkawari from Islam online.

      The workshop was conducted in English and Arabic and led by a group of media trainers ( Hara Padhy and Bassam Mansour) and EFA experts (Nour Dajani). The workshop ended with a nine-point plan of action for better media coverage of EFA issues in the Arab countries.

      SOURCE: http://portal.unesco.org/ci/en/ev.php-URL_ID=18792&URL_DO=DO_TOPIC&URL_SECTION=201.html

      Chris Schuepp
      Young People's Media Network - Coordinator
      c/o ECMC (European Centre for Media Competence)
      Bergstr. 8 / 10th floor
      D-45770 Marl - Germany

      Tel.: +49 2365 502480
      Mobile: +49 176 23107083
      Fax: +49 12126 23107083
      Email: cschuepp@...

      The YPMN is supported by UNICEF and hosted by the ECMC.

      The opinions and views expressed in this message and/or articles & websites linked to from this message do not necessarily reflect the views of the United Nations or its agencies.