Re: accessory filters

  • johfoley2000
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 1, 2002
      OK, let's try this again...

      Yesterday I typed in a rather lengthy reply to your message...and
      accidentally killed it.

      I do not believe ANY of the Lubi models ever came with any kind of
      filters from the factory, even though an early model had a little
      place to put them. Roland knows more about this, so I will defer to
      him. If you received filters with your's, GREAT! you got an added
      bonus. Most folks use a stepping ring to take the thread from 40.5mm
      to the more popular sizes, such as 46mm or 49mm. This gives you a
      whole range of filters. I bought mine from R. Kanta at:
      http://photofilter.net/shopsite_sc/store/html/page51.html and I can
      recommend him.

      There have been some good discussions on Lubi filters in the past.

      In message # 632 I said:
      "You will have great difficulty in getting the 40.5mm filters for
      these cameras. In fact, the popular opinion is that although there is
      a place to store the filters, they were never actually shipped with
      the cameras...." And much more, that you can read if you want to.

      Roland replied in message #637:
      "Another point which only occured to me today is of course the 40.5mm
      filters don't fit the filter compartment of the older Lubitels - in
      fact they don't fit the older (Bakelite) Lubitels at all. The
      original fitting seems to be 27mm push fit - which interestingly
      enough is still retained on all the later Lubitels - even though they
      also have a 40.5mm filter thread and nowhere to store 27mm filters
      anymore."

      In regards to the tripod...I generally use the little folding pocket
      ones with mine. And don't overtighten it, just snug it up. When I DO
      use a larger tripod I ALWAYS secure it with something other than the
      tripod fitting. Gaffers tape, a strap, rubberbands, whatever is
      handy. There have been postings (#466, #468) that stated these
      fittings come loose if overtightened, and I like the camera too much
      to have it damaged from a fall. I haven't had problems with mine, but
      I don't want them either.

      Sorry if I told more than you wanted to know...if you search this
      forum under "tripod" and "filters" you will find more.

      john

      --- In thelubitel166club@y..., Lynn Starun <lastarun@y...> wrote:
      > Hi,
      > I am new to this group but wanted to ask a couple of
      > questions right away. I bought a lubitel through ebay
      > and it came to me straight from Russia and has Russian
      > writing on the front of it! My first question is
      > about some little filters that came with it but which
      > don't seem to quite fit. I wonder if there is a trick
      > to make them go on? The other question is about the
      > tripod fitting. My camera came with a sort of clamp
      > type tripod device which is easily adjustible--almost
      > as good as my wonderful trigger type head on my
      > regular tripod. I would prefer to use a real tripod
      > since it isn't always easy to find something to clamp
      > onto but the camera is made to go on a much larger
      > threading. I went to the hardware store and got a
      > bolt that fits it and someone made a female fitting
      > recessed into the top of the bolt. This almost
      > solves the problem b/c I do have a tripod with a male
      > 1/4 20 fitting but it isn't long enough. Has anyone
      > come up with an easier solution/ I asked at the photo
      > store but they couldn't find the right kind of
      > adaptor.
      > Lynn

      > http://finance.yahoo.com
    • powell123
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 1, 2002
        Well i would like to say that the lubitel 1 came with 2 yellow
        filters. I have a Lubitel 1 circa 1930's and it has the holder and 2
        filters both push on and a nice leather case all origonal as far as i
        can gather, this camera has been in my family since new.
        When i get a chance i will photograph this with th web cam and post
        it for you all to see.

        Robert.

        > I do not believe ANY of the Lubi models ever came with any kind of
        > filters from the factory, even though an early model had a little
        > place to put them. Roland knows more about this, so I will defer
      • martin_doc_holiday
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 2, 2002
          Hi,

          I purchased an originally packed Lubitel 2 `76 in Canterbury, England.
          No filters came with it. I have many 27 push up filters meanwhile,
          but I recommend not to use the compartment for them. The filters move
          inside, and the screw holding the compartment cover loosens while
          turning the cover. But I suggest to get on 2nd hand boxes some
          filters for B/W, cheap and enhancing the camera`s capabilities a lot

          Martin Luerkens

          --- In thelubitel166club@y..., powell123 <no_reply@y...> wrote:
          > Well i would like to say that the lubitel 1 came with 2 yellow
          > filters. I have a Lubitel 1 circa 1930's and it has the holder and
          2
          > filters both push on and a nice leather case all origonal as far as
          > can gather, this camera has been in my family since new.
          > When i get a chance i will photograph this with th web cam and post
          > it for you all to see.
          >
          > Robert.
          >

          > > I do not believe ANY of the Lubi models ever came with any kind
          of
          > > filters from the factory, even though an early model had a little
          > > place to put them. Roland knows more about this, so I will defer
        • rolandgivan
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 2, 2002
            --- In thelubitel166club@y..., powell123 <no_reply@y...> wrote:
            > Well i would like to say that the lubitel 1 came with 2 yellow
            > filters. I have a Lubitel 1 circa 1930's and it has the holder and

            Well as I'm being quoted as an authority on this - I supose I should
            say something! ;-)

            The Russians were usually quite good at supplying necessary
            accesories with cameras. They didn't seem to go in for selling you
            the camera up front and selling you the accessories over the
            following weeks. This and the fact the the Lubitel 1 /Lubitel 2 have
            filter compartments - might seem to indicate that filters were
            supplied.

            HOWEVER (and its a big however) - there just isn't any real evidence
            to support this. None of the Lubitel manuals I own (starting with
            the Lubitel 1) mention the supply of filters or show them being
            used. In fact where shown the filter compartment is empty.

            Also some manuals supply a very comprehensive list of items
            supplied - and filters don't appear.

            Finally - if filters were supplied - where are they all now? I've
            looked in the filter compartments of a good few Lubitels and found
            very few. Sure they might have got lost or broken - but the
            compartment is just too often entirely empty for me to feel that
            they were always supplied.

            Obviously there are exceptions to the rule. I have found a
            Komsomolets (Lubitel precursor) with a set of Russian filters and I
            think I've seen a Lubitel 1 with a Russian set too. I've found a
            German made filter in a compartment also - but thats about it.

            However in the camera you mention above - I think its highly
            unlikely that both the yellow filters were supplied with the camera.
            For instance why *2* yellow filters? One is useful for darkening
            clouds in B+W photos - but whilst you could use a stronger yellow
            for stronger darkening - its more likely that a green or red filter
            would be supplied. Thats not to say the filters can't be as old as
            the camera (which BTW is going to be 1950s not 1930s) - just that
            its unlikely to have left the factory with them. Out of interest -
            what marks/writing appear on the filters?

            Also if anybody else has filter and/or indications of them being
            supplied with the camera - then it would be good to hear about them
            too.

            Just my point of view - but until I see some documented evidence to
            counter it - I'm sticking with it :-)

            :-)

            Roland.
            http://www.rolandandcaroline.co.uk/
            (lots of Lubitel info)
          • rolandgivan
            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 3, 2002
              --- In thelubitel166club@y..., rolandgivan <no_reply@y...> wrote:
              > --- In thelubitel166club@y..., powell123 <no_reply@y...> wrote:
              > > Well i would like to say that the lubitel 1 came with 2 yellow
              > > filters. I have a Lubitel 1 circa 1930's and it has the holder
              and

              > For instance why *2* yellow filters? One is useful for darkening
              > clouds in B+W photos - but whilst you could use a stronger yellow
              > for stronger darkening - its more likely that a green or red

              I've just checked my filter compartments again - and I'm going to
              make an adjustment to my previous posting.

              Whilst I'm still 99% sure that the Lubitel 2 was not normally
              supplied with filters -, the GOMZ factory which made these cameras
              did make filters - and at least some Lubitl 1 (and for that matter
              Komsolmolets TLR) have a set of GOMZ filters in their compartments.
              These filters consist of a yellow and an orange filter - both
              designed to increase the constrast between sky and clouds.

              You can tell if you have GOMZ filters because the have the GOMZ logo
              embosed onto them which is the same logo as on the top of the
              folding viewfinder.

              You can see these filters quite clearly in one of the pictures on
              the next page.

              http://www.cix.co.uk/~rgivan/komsom.html

              Statistically exactly 50% of my Komsomolets and Lubitel 1 cameras
              have filter sets - so that doesn't help. Though obviously its a very
              small sample (4 cameras in total).

              I've yet to see a manual for the Komsomelets but the Lubitel 1
              manual I have indicates that no filters were supplied.

              On reflection - we probably don't have enough info to finally answer
              this question yet.

              :-)

              Roland.
              http://www.rolandandcaroline.co.uk/
            • bigmikelf
              Message 6 of 10 , Sep 3, 2002
                Ask at more photo stores about the tripod screwthread adaptor. I have
                one for a Fed 3, and know they are readily available. Do a search on
                ebay if all else fails.
                As regards filters for earlier Lubitels- I had a Lubitel 2 and just
                bluetacked a slightly larger filter to the front as I didn't have any
                of the special push on ones. I find it goes with the whole Lubitel
                philosophy.
                Mike
              • powell123
                Message 7 of 10 , Sep 3, 2002
                  I should have said in my first post that the 2 yellow filters are of
                  differing strenths one yellow and the other dark yellow of which are
                  prolly the most used more benificial to the average photographer then
                  a green and red, and these cameras were sold to ma and pa average.

                  And that i have a Lubitel 1 and that it was purchased by a family
                  member yes in the 50's not 30's which is the BALDA that i own also
                  family purchsed new from dresden germany, this is a lovely camera
                  giveing 10 x 6 cm negs, and as camera's from dresdon are the focas
                  of my collection it is sometimes easy to mix them up, as for filter
                  markings i will look and report back as soon as my brother returns
                  with the Lubitel from his trip to outback australia on friday.

                  man im rambeling, must be tired still and im off to work now lol
                  Robert.

                  Message 8 of 10 , Sep 3, 2002
                    ...which is the BALDA that i own also
                    > family purchsed new from dresden germany, this is a lovely camera
                    > giveing 10 x 6 cm negs,

                    Boy, that must be a beauty..I'd love to hear more about it (even if
                    this IS a Lubi page.)

                    john
                  • powell123
                    Message 9 of 10 , Sep 4, 2002
                      the balda juwella is a fold up camera takes 120 rolll film and gives
                      negs 6 x 10 cms it has a 105mm f4.5 lens of the doggy 3 element
                      design with no coatings and central shutter with speeds from 25 to
                      100 was made3 in the 1930's and sold well i beleive all up a tidy
                      little well not so little unit, by the way i saw one here in a shop
                      in brisbane for $85 and with a bit of cropping top and bottom you
                      have a nice panoramic image and its a whole lot cheaper then a wide
                      lux here is some web sites for futher information
                      http://www.cosmonet.org/camera/balda_juwella.html also check out the
                      Balda PONTURA this is way more advanced than the JUWELLA
                      http://www.cosmonet.org/camera/pontur_e.htm and prolly a real nice
                      score if you found one

                      Robert.