My First Experiences with the Lubitel 166

  • bigdabble
    Message 1 of 3 , May 31, 2003
      A few months ago I b
      ought a Lubitel 166B for $20 and had to wait until I could scrounge enough cash to pick up a flash, light meter, and L bracket before I could go out and play with it. I wanted to try MF and this seemed like the best choice out there. Expense obviously was a factor. My impressions of the 166 is that it is basic and crude. I love it! I have used primarily 35mm AF SLRs in my 8 years of photography. While the Lubitel cannot touch an AF SLR in terms of convience and speed, the Lubitel wins in my opinion for fun. I am thinking about picking a 166U as well. How much of a difference/improvement is this model over B? Also I was curious about the difference between the 166 and the Lubitel 2. Any infor over the Lubitel 2 and 166 U would be appreciated. Thanks.
    • Charles Bulloch
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 5, 2003
        --- In thelubitel166club@yahoogroups.com, "bigdabble"
        <bigdabble@y...> wrote:
        > A few months ago I b
        > ought a Lubitel 166B for $20 and had to wait until I could scrounge
        enough cash to pick up a flash, light meter, and L bracket before I
        could go out and play with it. I wanted to try MF and this seemed
        like the best choice out there. Expense obviously was a factor.
        My impressions of the 166 is that it is basic and crude. I love
        it! I have used primarily 35mm AF SLRs in my 8 years of
        photography. While the Lubitel cannot touch an AF SLR in terms of
        convience and speed, the Lubitel wins in my opinion for fun. I am
        thinking about picking a 166U as well. How much of a
        difference/improvement is this model over B? Also I was curious
        about the difference between the 166 and the Lubitel 2. Any infor
        over the Lubitel 2 and 166 U would be appreciated. Thanks.

        The optics of all Lubitel cameras are IMHO identical. The 166 models
        are plastic, and the Lubitel 2 is bakelite. You never hear about
        light leaks with a 2 model. The 166U is a twin format model, some
        users report problems with light leaks, although my brother doesn't
        complain. Filters for 166 cameras are easier to get than the push on
        filters for the 2 models. IMHO there is not much use for a 1A filter
        to protect the lens, but B&W users will find an orange filter more
        than useful. I am amazed at the detail available from a Lubitel.
        Recently I obtained a folding Moskva camera. These sell for under £40
        and are much easier to use. Lubitels seem to be a good financial
        investment!

        http://lubitel-resource.tripod.com/

        http://www.rolandandcaroline.co.uk/

        Charlie
      • Joseph Long
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 6, 2003
          Check old posts where I discussed rather thoroughly
          the differences between models, including two versions
          of the Lubitel 166U.

          Also Roland Givan has a great site. Just google his
          name and you'll get there.

          Have Fun!

          http://calendar.yahoo.com