Re: [t93] Biographies and related issues

  • the Reverend Rob
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 1, 2001

      On Sun, 1 Jul 2001, Eric O'Dell wrote:

      > It occurred to me last night, while reading a review of yet another
      > shallow and hostile biography of Aleister Crowley, that there is as yet no
      > worthwhile biography available. (At least, I have not seen one.) The
      > biographies written by non-occultists are, of course, entirely worthless,
      > and the accounts by occultists are marred by the huge axe most of them are
      > grinding.

      It's out of print, but Susan Roberts "Magician of the Golden Dawn"
      presents as balanced a portrayal of the man as I suspect is reasonably
      possible.

      Love is the Law, Love under Will.
      ==
      the Reverend Rob ICQ: 1280871
      http://www.realm-of-shade.com .`. .`. .`. .`. http://www.reverendrob.com
      ==
      "The new Christ, like the old, is the friend of publicans and sinners;
      because his nature is ascetic." - Aleister Crowley
    • Magdalene Meretrix
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 1, 2001
        At 04:52 PM 7/1/01 -0600, the Reverend Rob wrote:

        >It's out of print, but Susan Roberts "Magician of the Golden Dawn"
        >presents as balanced a portrayal of the man as I suspect is reasonably
        >possible.

        And, of course, don't forget that Crowley himself wrote a lovely biography
        of the man. (Though I suppose it doesn't count if one is looking for truly
        "unbiased" information.)

        Agape,
        Sparrow

        --
        http://www.magdalenemeretrix.com

        "In taking revenge a man is but even with his enemy,
        but in passing it over he is superior,
        for it is a prince's part to pardon." ­­ Francis Bacon
      • sardonic
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 1, 2001
          --- Magdalene Meretrix <magdalene@...> wrote:
          > And, of course, don't forget that Crowley himself wrote a lovely
          > biography
          > of the man. (Though I suppose it doesn't count if one is looking for
          > truly
          > "unbiased" information.)

          93,
          I'm not certain one would be "able" to come across any unbiased
          information. If you consider who would bother to write/comment on it -
          either fellow occultists or anti-occultists....

          Personally, I have found Regardie's accounts to be the least "offensive"
          (to me) if you will - granted - the jabs he takes are masked in a
          wonderful sense of humor imo -

          You know, come to think of it, the only "unbiased" source of information
          I've found on Crowley was contained within a Time/Life book series "The
          Mysteries of the Unknown" LMAO!!!!! sorry that realization struck me as
          funny, and ironic.....

          93 93/93

          =====
          "Fish die belly upwards and rise to the surface... it is their way of falling" - - Tulse Luper
          http://www.sardonic.da.ru
          http://www.geocities.com/zazas23

          http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
        • Eric O'Dell
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 2, 2001
            On Sun, 1 Jul 2001, sardonic wrote:

            > Personally, I have found Regardie's accounts to be the least "offensive"
            > (to me) if you will - granted - the jabs he takes are masked in a
            > wonderful sense of humor imo -

            My main complaint with Regardie's biography of Crowley were all the jabs
            he took under the guise of 'psychoanalysis'. It's a little like sitting
            around, speculating about the subconscious quirks of one's ex-wife. It's
            entertaining enough, and maybe even therapeutic (for you), but I wouldn't
            advise trying to pass it off as reportage.

            Love is the law, love under will.

            Regards,
            -e.
          • Jason Carpenter
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 2, 2001
              --- In thelema93-l@y..., "Eric O'Dell" <eodell@s...> wrote:
              > On Sun, 1 Jul 2001, sardonic wrote:
              >
              > > Personally, I have found Regardie's accounts to be the
              least "offensive"
              > > (to me) if you will - granted - the jabs he takes are masked in a
              > > wonderful sense of humor imo -
              >
              > Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law.
              >
              > My main complaint with Regardie's biography of Crowley were all the
              jabs
              > he took under the guise of 'psychoanalysis'. It's a little like
              sitting
              > around, speculating about the subconscious quirks of one's ex-
              wife. It's
              > entertaining enough, and maybe even therapeutic (for you), but I
              wouldn't
              > advise trying to pass it off as reportage.

              The main flaw in the Eye in the Triangle is that it shows Regardie's
              obvious lack of understanding of the system of Magick concieved and
              practiced by Crowley. Yes, obviously Doc Regudy knows his shit about
              the Golden Dawn and has applied SOME Thelemic principles in executing
              it, but for someone who used to be AC's secretary why does he not
              know that the A.'.A.'. uses initiation rituals? He very clearly says
              that A.'.A.'. does not have init rites when discussing Victor
              Neuberg's initiation, he actually uses that to attempt to discredit
              the author of Vic's bio.

              There is an abundant and needless Freudian approach to the biography.
              The analysis of AC's relationship to his mother and father breaks
              down into drivel about Oedipal complexes etc. This all based on Nuit.
              I do suggest the book to those who haven't read it, but the flaws in
              the work should be corrected and noted. I sold my own copy with my
              commentary inserted for 20 bucks a few years ago, or I would post the
              statements myself.

              666