Re:AC's length of servitude (was AC Interpolations etc.)

  • philonius
    Message 1 of 1 , May 3, 2001
      [Watch your toes! I'm going to step into this.]
      nigris333 and (sir)Paul Hume wrote quite a lot of stuff, but the part
      where I come in is:
      <after big snip>

      > >> how long did that period of training last under Allan's guru?
      > >> what was their relationship at Aleister's departure? what was
      > >> Allan's guru's desire about contact with Crowley, regimen, and
      > >> what his condition of enlightenment might be?
      > >
      > > I've never been clear on how long he sent in Sri Lanka with
      > > Allan...it seems have been some months, or longer. I don't
      > > know that either Alan or his guru expressed an opinion on
      > > AC's work that has survived.
      >
      > that would be important in assessing whether Crowley was more
      > than a reflection of Patanjali's "Yoga Sutras" and some spare
      > time with Bennett and guru.

      AC arrived in Colombo on 6 August 1901 [1*] to meet with Bennett, and
      started yoga under Ramantham's (later Sri Parananda) guidance on 14 Aug.
      1901 [2*]. And apparently ceased any serious yoga practices soon after
      he obtained his 'result' (supposedly Dhyana) on 2 October 1901 [3*]. He
      then moved on to Madura where he wrote Sword of Song on or about 16
      November. So we are talking around two months of study under a guru. But
      we should keep in mind that AC was assiduously practicing the
      concentration techniques that Oscar Eckenstein instructed him in since
      about February or March of 1901 while in Mexico, that adds about five
      extra months of (at least preliminary) work.

      *NOTES:
      [1]Susan Roberts, The Magician of the Golden Dawn The Story of Aleister
      Crowley, Contemporary Books 1978, page 93.
      [2]Equinox Vol.1 No.4 (The Temple of Solomon The King) page 154 or 155,
      where he writes that he purchased a meditation mat and bronze Buddha.
      [3]The Confessions of Aleister Crowley, Arkana Penguin Books, page 248.

      phi