Re: [t93] The State of Thelema Today

  • Nicholas Kroll
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 24, 2013
      <josephwilliammarek wrote>
      >There should be more Thelemites in the world than what there are right
      now. I feel that because of the factors I outlined, the advent of the New
      Æon is behind schedule.
      </quote>

      There is a list of reasons for why Thelema has as few followers as it does.
      My understanding (based entirely on personal experience) suggests the
      following as key:
      - Crowley makes a terrible front-man
      - Thelema is *obscure*
      - It is hard to know where to begin with Thelema if you are on your own
      - Availability of our Class A publications

      Crowley makes a terrible front-man:
      I don't need to go very in-depth on this, but his name is still known
      in the general public. My experience suggests that few in the 18 - 25
      group know who he was (which helps) but it is hard to separate the man from
      Thelema, and he puts people off. His writing style is honestly above the
      common reading ability in the United States, and this is also a hurdle.
      Key people for any group/organization/ideology/belief system need to have
      positive public appeal for the public to accept them, and Crowley does not
      have positive appeal.

      Thelema is *obscure*:
      It may be an assumption based on anecdotal evidence, but if you
      randomly picked ten people whom you don't know and asked them if they have
      even *heard* of Thelema, I'm sure none of them would say yes. Who's fault
      is this? It is certainly not the fault of the general public. How can a
      person seek something that they do not know about? It is explained to us
      that while it is wrong to proselytize, *The Law is for All* and it is ours
      to give. This suggests to me that we may promulgate The Law, but it is to
      be freely accepted.
      Furthermore, even with those of whom I have found even slightly aware
      of the teachings of Crowley there is much misunderstanding over what
      Thelema is. A friend of mine looked at me with shock when I told him that
      I had accepted The Law of Thelema, and his immediate question was "Isn't
      Thelema left hand path?" This may not be the norm with occultists, but
      this is the format of reaction I have received multiple times. This speaks
      as significant to me, and I'm curious about your own experiences with this.

      It's hard to know where to begin with Thelema if you are on your own:
      I'm new to Thelema. I have no mentor, no group of Thelemites that I
      speak with outside of the internet, and no background in Golden Dawn
      Magick. I found Thelema while looking for something else, and a few months
      in I still feel like there is something that I'm not aware of and should
      be. I've found multiple reading lists which differ on suggested reading
      order and content for a proper orientation. And while there are trends in
      these reading lists, they vary greatly in scope and orientation. There are
      many questions that don't get answered fully by an uncommitted and
      anonymous connections on the internet, and let's face it: there is a lot of
      reading to be done. For a person who has only recently found Thelema and
      wishes to learn more and progress in their understanding, there is a lot of
      potential confusion on what the next step is for study and even on who's
      writing is credible. The Abrahamic religions have an advantage in that one
      can go to any bookstore and find their core holy scriptures in a
      convenient, monolithic volume. Take note: the reading order in these
      volumes is already established.

      Availability of our Class A publications:
      I understand that there was a method by which our Class A publications
      were published, but we're facing the issue of out-of-print and
      expensive-to-purchase in regards to these. This is a hurdle. Yes, we have
      The Book of The Law still in print, but what of some of the other tomes we
      treasure? Look at the prices of these books on amazon or ebay. One with
      internet access and knowledge of search engines can get around the cost of
      books via various websites, but there is something to be said for having a
      good hard bound holy book to study or reference. While digital file
      transfer is easy for actual documents, it takes some effort to acquire
      off-line versions of these publications. Also consider the limitations on
      reading these files, books have higher portability. On top of that, there
      is definitely something to be said for being about to go into a bookstore
      and *find* a copy of a particular book. I understand that for now we
      shouldn't expect to find even the in print Book of The Law in our nearest
      Barnes and Noble due to the low demand, but the key issue is availability
      of core documents in hard copy form.

      New Aeon behind schedule though? Hardly. It'll get here when it does.

      I may not have a perfect understanding of this issue, but I'm willing to
      share what I've seen in order to start a proper conversation on this.

      Other people's opinions on this matter:
      http://iaurelian.blogspot.com/2008/03/where-can-thelema-spread.html
      http://iao131.com/2010/05/07/principles-of-promulgation/

      Nicholas M. Kroll
      (989) 708 7065

      On Thu, Jan 10, 2013 at 7:09 AM, josephwilliammarek <
      josephwilliammarek@...> wrote:

      > **
      >

      > It is my opinion that Aleister Crowley's constant desire to upset normal
      > folk, and his unyielding need to rebel against his parents' religion, drove
      > many people away. I feel that a lot of individuals would have been drawn to
      > Thelema if not for his attitude. I also feel his followers made things
      > worse, mimicked his worse habits and attitudes without having his
      > intelligence and comprehension.
      >
      > The total world population is just over 7 billion. The total worldwide
      > headcount of Thelemites is probably less than over 4,000. There should be
      > more Thelemites in the world than what there are right now. I feel that
      > because of the factors I outlined, the advent of the New Æon is behind
      > schedule. The New Æon should be further along, there should be more
      > Thelemites than what exists today. We are not at the proper "space mark". I
      > don't think writing a book, or starting a new Magical Order will return
      > things to the proper space mark. It will take magick, Big Magick!

    • Robert Furtkamp
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 24, 2013
        On Thu, Jan 10, 2013 at 5:09 AM, josephwilliammarek
        <josephwilliammarek@...> wrote:
        > It is my opinion that Aleister Crowley's constant desire to upset normal folk, and his unyielding need to rebel
        >against his parents' religion, drove many people away. I feel that a lot of individuals would have been drawn
        >to Thelema if not for his attitude. I also feel his followers made things worse, mimicked his worse habits and
        >attitudes without having his intelligence and comprehension.

        Followers are what you need if the intent is to keep the masses
        occupied and feeling as if they're part of something bigger. From
        that chaff, cull wheat. From that wheat, refine further. And from
        that, make the Host.

        > The total world population is just over 7 billion. The total worldwide headcount of Thelemites is probably less
        >than over 4,000.

        Doesn't matter.

        Whether you're in the "few & secret' camp or not, simply because the
        Law is for all doesn't mean it has to be slavisly adopted by all.

        > There should be more Thelemites in the world than what there are right now. I feel that because of the
        >factors I outlined, the advent of the New Æon is behind schedule. The New Æon should be further along,
        >there should be more Thelemites than what exists today. We are not at the proper "space mark". I don't think
        >writing a book, or starting a new Magical Order will return things to the proper space mark. It will take magick,
        >Big Magick!

        Do the Work. Your Work.

        Don't speculate.

        Do.

        The universe will reveal itself to you.

        No need to worry about numbers or awakening or somehow helping the
        masses discover whatever it is they're going to discover.

        Frankly, in the end, that will be little to nothing.

        There's a letter from AC to Achad in the Blue Brick edition of ABA
        that details how the O.T.O. system "makes a fine 5=6 and nothing more"
        - absolutely nothing wrong with that.

        The simple fact is that most people don't need to be juggling the
        forces of the cosmos.

        And God forbid they start the Work then stop.

        What is started cannot be undone.
        --
        My attention can be bought. Bribery welcome.
      • Mark
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 25, 2013
          Hmm... perhaps Roman Catholicism would be a better choice for you? Or Islam, perhaps? Yes, Crowley's "followers" are a contentious, challenging lot. I myself am not in favor of some sanitized "Thelema Lite" however. Perhaps the "New Aeon" is really not for everyone, or not yet, anyway. I'll stick with the 4,000, and accept what is as the starting point - not your assessment of what "should" be (thereby avoiding the "lust for results").

          --- In thelema93-l@yahoogroups.com, "josephwilliammarek" <josephwilliammarek@...> wrote:

          > It is my opinion that Aleister Crowley's constant desire to upset normal folk, and his unyielding need to rebel against his parents' religion, drove many people away. I feel that a lot of individuals would have been drawn to Thelema if not for his attitude. I also feel his followers made things worse, mimicked his worse habits and attitudes without having his intelligence and comprehension.
          >
          > The total world population is just over 7 billion. The total worldwide headcount of Thelemites is probably less than over 4,000. There should be more Thelemites in the world than what there are right now. I feel that because of the factors I outlined, the advent of the New Æon is behind schedule. The New Æon should be further along, there should be more Thelemites than what exists today. We are not at the proper "space mark". I don't think writing a book, or starting a new Magical Order will return things to the proper space mark. It will take magick, Big Magick!

        • Robert Furtkamp
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 8 1:13 AM
            On Sun, Mar 24, 2013 at 9:24 PM, Nicholas Kroll <krollnm@...> wrote:

            > I don't need to go very in-depth on this, but his name is still known
            > in the general public. My experience suggests that few in the 18 - 25
            > group know who he was (which helps) but it is hard to separate the man from
            > Thelema, and he puts people off. His writing style is honestly above the
            > common reading ability in the United States, and this is also a hurdle.
            > Key people for any group/organization/ideology/belief system need to have
            > positive public appeal for the public to accept them, and Crowley does not
            > have positive appeal.

            Separating the movement from the man is like trying to deal with
            Christianity without the apostles. It is what it is.
            > It is explained to us that while it is wrong to proselytize, *The Law is for All* and it is ours
            > to give.

            I suppose it depends on what "All" is in practice.

            The sodding mass of humanity at large can do what they please,
            including accept it.

            Or not.

            The popularity is irrelevant if the system works for you - or if it
            doesn't. Popular and doesn't work: a waste of time.

            > A friend of mine looked at me with shock when I told him that
            > I had accepted The Law of Thelema, and his immediate question was "Isn't
            > Thelema left hand path?"

            So what if it is?

            > It's hard to know where to begin with Thelema if you are on your own:

            > I'm new to Thelema. I have no mentor, no group of Thelemites that I
            > speak with outside of the internet, and no background in Golden Dawn
            > Magick.

            So you've got access to more than the vast majority of people for
            three or four generations.

            Hermetic.com alone will give you more than a starting point.

            > While digital file
            > transfer is easy for actual documents, it takes some effort to acquire
            > off-line versions of these publications.

            Cutting and pasting, or clicking "save as" whether in HTML or pdf is
            so very hard.

            > Also consider the limitations on
            > reading these files, books have higher portability. On top of that, there
            > is definitely something to be said for being about to go into a bookstore
            > and *find* a copy of a particular book.

            So read one on your device, print it out, have it bound yourself, or whatever.

            Bookstores are dying.

            > I understand that for now we
            > shouldn't expect to find even the in print Book of The Law in our nearest
            > Barnes and Noble due to the low demand, but the key issue is availability
            > of core documents in hard copy form.

            No issue at all at this point. Every man can be Gutenberg.

            Every man can distribute the entirety of the works of note of the man
            on a single thumb drive.

            And most of the A.`.A.`. reading list, stuff mentioned in footnotes,
            etc. and the like are now available too.

            This is the golden age of information availabilty. Take some time to read it.
          • Jake Stratton-Kent
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 8 3:14 AM
              Speaking as a long time spokesman for a progressive and non-sectarian
              tendency in C20th Thelema, my thoughts are briefly as follows. Thelema is
              largely a victim of the OTO's success - its identity frozen in time while
              the world moves on. The one thing organised Thelema should have managed
              easily was forming a vanguard of modern magic, in this it has manifestly
              failed.

              The level of contemporary scholarship and progressive thinking available to
              the modern neo-pagan and grimoire based communities outstripped Thelemic
              writing a decade or so back. One official addition to the 'official'
              Curriculum since 1947 - and that completely doctrinaire - pretty much says
              it all.

              One of the two vehicles of Thelema should be capable of engaging with more
              than the inherited documents of the 1875-1947 era; one won't, the other
              can't - time to look elsewhere.

              Jake

              http://www.underworldapothecary.com/

              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 8 8:21 AM
                relevant link Dis of Hadean Press pointed out re a parallel conversation

                http://nick-farrell.blogspot.it/2013/04/top-10-signs-that-your-magical-order-is.html

                Jake

                http://www.underworldapothecary.com/

                On 8 April 2013 11:14, Jake Stratton-Kent
                <jakestrattonkent@...>wrote:

> [...]
                >> drawn to
                >> > Thelema if not for his attitude. I also feel his followers made things
                >> > worse, mimicked his worse habits and attitudes without having his
                >> > intelligence and comprehension.
                >> >
                >> > The total world population is just over 7 billion. The total worldwide
                >> > headcount of Thelemites is probably less than over 4,000. There should
                >> be
                >> > more Thelemites in the world than what there are right now. I feel that
                >> > because of the factors I outlined, the advent of the New �on is behind
                >> > schedule. The New �on should be further along, there should be more
                >> > Thelemites than what exists today. We are not at the proper "space
                >> mark". I
                >> > don't think writing a book, or starting a new Magical Order will return
                >> > things to the proper space mark. It will take magick, Big Magick!

              • Alamantra
                Message 7 of 9 , Apr 8 7:42 PM
                  Robert Furtkamp wrote:

                  "Do the Work. Your Work.

                  Don't speculate.

                  Do.

                  The universe will reveal itself to you."

                  Most useful comment I've seen on this forum in years. Well done!

                  Alamantra