Tahuti Lodge presents: Workshop: Making Your Own Magick Wand

  • Tahuti Lodge
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 12, 2012

      WORKSHOP: MAKING YOUR OWN MAGICK WAND

      Open Event
      2:00 PM

      For most of us, obtaining a magickal tool is done according to Crowley's suggestion that we purchase one ready made without quibbling.

      But…what if you could make your own from scratch? Well now is your chance! Please join Frater Joe in a very special workshop to make your own Magick Wand!

      The workshop comes with the following wand kit:
      1 (13"-14") Hazel wood wand; 1 practice piece of Hazel wood; 1 small quartz crystal point; 1 oz Hazel wood oil & vial; red silk for pouch; red cordelier tie; mini-spool of red thread; sewing needle; masking tape; whittling knife; sm-graded sandpaper and a set of needle files.

      Fr. Joe will walk us through the process with the final product being your very own wand, ready for consecration.

      This is no ordinary workshop, so don't miss out! Reserve your seat and kit today!

      To RSVP for this event
      please email tahutilodge@...

      Workshop Admission: $35

      Love is the law, love under will.
    • Jake Stratton-Kent
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 13, 2012
        oh dear, hate to be scathing but...

        On 13 November 2012 01:59, Tahuti Lodge <tahuti_lodge@...> wrote:
        > For most of us, obtaining a magickal tool is done according to Crowley's
        > suggestion that we purchase one ready made without quibbling.

        advice Fat Eddie borrowed from the grimoires regarding something else.
        A tradition our modern knowledge of owes precisely zero to Crowley.

        > But…what if you could make your own from scratch?

        as in the grimoires.

        > Well now is your chance!
        > Please join Frater Joe in a very special workshop to make your own Magick
        > Wand!

        special?

        > The workshop comes with the following wand kit:
        > 1 (13"-14") Hazel wood wand; 1 practice piece of Hazel wood; 1 small
        > quartz crystal point; 1 oz Hazel wood oil & vial; red silk for pouch; red
        > cordelier tie; mini-spool of red thread; sewing needle; masking tape;
        > whittling knife; sm-graded sandpaper and a set of needle files.

        The only traditional item in this entire list is the hazel rod.
        Otherwise it is a melange of modern ceremonial ideas with a very
        cursory nod in the direction of the grimoires. If you want to work
        both styles, have two wands!

        For the trad stuff you are far better off making or obtaining your
        magical knife as per the grimoire you wish to work with (Verum is
        recommended, the order is logical and no instrument is superfluous)).

        Then go out before Dawn to where a previous recce has located a
        suitable length of hazel (if its gonna be semi-dark deposit a white
        stone on your recce to help you relocate the spot). Cut it at sunrise,
        take it back to your ritual space, clean it, purify and consecrate
        it. Employ the appropriate days and hours as per the grimoire along
        with the appropriate incenses etc.

        Scrap the crystal (ugh), and dump all that red stuff connected with
        'fire wands' of no relevance to the grimoire tradition, along with the
        hazel oil.

        As a Thelemite you would naturally employ the Dawn adoration as part
        of the wand cutting process, along with any ritual elements from the
        grimoire. In fact a Liturgical Transplant (from Christian to
        Thelemite) will go much further than random merging of Newage, GD and
        grimoire kit to no good purpose. Such a transplant has to be sensitive
        to the process adapted, rather than blindly follow under-informed
        modernism.

        > Fr. Joe will walk us through the process with the final product being your
        > very own wand, ready for consecration.

        but not suited particularly either to modern ceremonial or traditional
        processes, and hard to tell apart from stuff for sale in Newage
        stores.

        Again my apologies, but if we're going back to basics lets go back to
        them properly.

        ALWays

        Jake

        http://www.underworld-apothecary.com/
      • Jake Stratton-Kent
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 13, 2012
          PS, no suitable trees where you live?

          http://www.underworld-apothecary.com/wands.php

          ALWays

          Jake

          --
          Jake

          http://www.underworld-apothecary.com/
        • Matt Burns
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 14, 2012
            Just to stick my own (home made) oar in... I can't think of anywhere that Crowley says you should buy pre-made magical tools (without quibbling?). In fact he wrote a liber all about making your own:

            http://hermetic.com/crowley/libers/lib412.html

            He does talk about buying pre-laid eggs without haggling, which anyway is what you do when you get them from a supermarket and for those of us unfortunate enough to still be unable to lay our own it is the only way.

            But I think it's just up to the magician to decide what symbolism he/she feels makes sense when making tools. If the one described below fits your view of the universe then make it that way.

            ________________________________
            > For most of us, obtaining a magickal tool is done according to Crowley's
            > suggestion that we purchase one ready made without quibbling.

            advice Fat Eddie borrowed from the grimoires regarding something else.
            A tradition our modern knowledge of owes precisely zero to Crowley.

            > But…what if you could make your own from scratch?

            as in the grimoires.

            > Well now is your chance!
            > Please join Frater Joe in a very special workshop to make your own Magick
            > Wand!

            special?

            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 15, 2012
              On 14 November 2012 09:37, Matt Burns <aleph_mem_tau@...> wrote:

              > Just to stick my own (home made) oar in... I can't think of anywhere that
              > Crowley says you should buy pre-made magical tools (without quibbling?).

              my recollection is a little vague, partly due to demoting Fat Eddie to
              an above average writer of the early Occult Revival.

              > He does talk about buying pre-laid eggs without haggling, which anyway is
              > what you do when you get them from a supermarket and for those of us
              > unfortunate enough to still be unable to lay our own it is the only way.

              hehe, first giggle of the day (before hurrying out to vote in the PCC elections)

              > But I think it's just up to the magician to decide what symbolism he/she
              > feels makes sense when making tools. If the one described below fits your
              > view of the universe then make it that way.

              this kind of depends on the definition of magic (causing changes in
              consciousness, or change in general) *AND* of the magician's part in
              it (Nietzschean solipsist, or junior participant in universal
              processes).

              The MSU* default tends to assume it knows what traditional magic is
              before either dismissing or tweaking what passes for it.

              (* Making S**t Up)

              A little historical awareness shows this to be an erroneous
              assumption: important areas of traditional magic were chronically
              under-researched by occultists from 1875 to 1975, and in large part
              still are. Supposed vanguard movements in modern magic (Thelema) are
              far from an exception, if anything they typify this neglect.

              Too often recycling under-informed C19th assumptions passes for
              research, while tweaking or abandoning them passes for innovation or
              radicalism. While superficially distinct, these trends equally assume
              that anything missed by the C19th types - especially those raised to
              Messiah status - can't possibly be important!

              Even in this era of the 'individual' (the isolated niche consumer) a
              minority are old fashioned, experienced, or modest enough to believe
              that magic involves participation in processes outside of a 'self
              created myth'. They employ tools and materials which constitute a
              'language' suitable for more than talking to themselves; in which
              tradition, natural history and exploration of cultural undercurrents
              play a prominent role.

              MSU doesn't cut it.