In the Center of the Fire: Talk and Book Signing with Brother James Wasserman

  • Tahuti Lodge
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 21, 2012

      Tahuti Lodge is very proud to present a special talk and book signing by Brother James Wasserman, the founder of Tahuti Lodge, O.T.O., on his new book:

      In the Center of the Fire: A Memoir of the Occult (1966-1989)

      Written by the Father of Tahuti Lodge, James Wasserman, acclaimed author, teacher, and magician.

      Seating is limited so please reserve your seat now!

      $15.00 admission will get you a $5.00 discount On your very own signed copy of Wasserman's In the Center of the Fire: A Memoir of the Occult 1966-1989
      Hot off the press!

      Starting at 5:00pm
      Saturday, June 30, 2012
      At Tahuti Lodge's own temple space in Queens
      This event will be held in Queens
      A few stops from Manhattan on the 7 train.
      RSVP for directions and information, or just reserve you seat with PayPal and directions will be mailed to you.

      Travel back in time to the early history of the development of Ordo Templi Orientis in New York City. James Wasserman takes you on a guided tour of the heyday of the NYC Occult scene, the epicenter of which were Samuel Weiser's Bookstore and Herman Slater's Magickal Childe. In this important book, James reveals, for the first time anywhere, his central role in the battle between the Caliph Grady McMurtry and Marcelo Motta in their battle over the heirship of Aleister Crowley's OTO.

      This is a candid and personally revealing story of one Master Magician's Will to create and maintain a flourishing Thelemic Community in New York City. The triumphs were many, as were the failures, but the adventure was never boring.

      We invite you to join us in celebrating the release of this important historical work and learn of our roots and discover why, 30+ years later, Tahuti Lodge, OTO is still one of the oldest continuously operating OTO bodies in the world!

      A stone's throw away from the Velvet Underground and Andy Warhol's Factory, William Burroughs' "bunker," and the legendary Chelsea Hotel, was a scene far more esoteric than perhaps even they could have imagined. In this daring exposé by a survivor of a unique era in the New York occult scene, James Wasserman, a longtime proponent of the teachings of Aleister Crowley, brings us into a world of candlelit temples, burning incense, and sonorous invocations. He also introduces us to the company of such avant-garde luminaries as Alejandro Jodorowsky, Harry Smith, and Angus MacLise.

      The author, the founder of New York City's Tahuti Lodge of Ordo Templi Orientis, traces its early history and provides a window into the heyday of the Manhattan esoteric community—centered around Samuel Weiser's Bookstore and the Magickal Childe. In addition, he meticulously chronicles the copyright contest over the Crowley literary estate, of which he was an important participant. Finally, he breaks decades of silence concerning one of the most seminal events in the development of the modern Thelemic movement — detailing his role in the 1976 magical battle between Marcelo Motta and Grady McMurtry. Long slandered for his effort to heal the temporary breach between the Orders of A∴A∴ and O.T.O., James Wasserman sets the record straight.

      Reconstructed from personal memories, magical diaries, multiple interviews, court transcripts, witness depositions, trial evidence, and extensive correspondence, this book elucidates a hitherto misreported and ill-understood nexus of modern magical history. It also shares tales of a mythical moment in American life as seen through the eyes of an enthusiastic participant in the counter-culture of the day. Illustrated with 24 pages of glossy photographs, with magical diagrams and other visual occult memorabilia.

      Advance praise for In the Center of the Fire:

      "A compelling portrait of a moment in time when New York City served as the heart of the modern occult renaissance." —Donald Weiser, Samuel Weiser, Inc.

      "Provides a rare glimpse into the life of a genuine spiritual adept. The sincere search for wisdom can lead a man to places where few would dare tread. But James Wasserman marches forward—moving through adversity—sometimes with grace, other times with raw force, but always in pursuit of the light of human liberty. A magnificent true story of what can happen when spiritual teachings are taken seriously and applied skillfully." —Daniel Pineda, Author of The Book of Secrets

      "'Our stone is fire, created out of fire and converted into fire; its soul dwells in the fire.' This alchemical axiom describes the Philosopher's Stone, that elusive symbol of the supreme transformative substance produced by the great work which changes impure lead to gold. In this intensely honest account, the author makes no attempt to varnish truth with platitudes, but demonstrates that the fire is life; and that both success and failure are teachers and bringers of wisdom. This gem of historical narrative also casts light on many misunderstood moments in the modern development of Thelema. 'Whosoever is near to me, is near the fire' (The Gospel of Thomas)." —J. Daniel Gunther, Author of Initiation in the Aeon of the Child

      "Your book ends at exactly the point when I joined O.T.O. I read your Diary Of An Ex-Drug Fiend article while waiting in the antechamber for my Minerval initiation. The honesty and morality expressed there became among the most important influences on my career in O.T.O since. I can never thank you enough." —Email From Rodney Orpheus, Author of Abrahadabra and The Grimoire of Aleister Crowley

      James Wasserman has played a key role in numerous publications
      of Aleister Crowley's literary corpus.

      http://www.inthecenterofthefire.com/
      Please visit the official website for more information and interesting extras on this exciting publication!
      Love is the law, love under will.