The New Rules of Magick

  • Michael A. Eckhard
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 20 10:24 PM
      Recently I completed my (second) crossing of the Abyss. The first was
      over a decade ago and was so traumatic I voluntarily went back asleep.
      However, I have reclaimed myself. Through experimentation, here are
      the new rules that underpin my magical "operating system". The
      intellectual understanding was easy, but the emotional understanding
      took a bit longer...

      1. The Law of Sovereignty: The Magus is the sovereign of his or
      her own person. As such, he or she carries the burden of
      responsibility for their actions, magical or mundane, whether
      consciously intended or not.
      2. The Law of Isolation: The Magus was formerly of the Objective
      universe. The Magus is no longer part of the Objective universe. The
      Magus is above the Objective universe, over it, beyond it. While able
      to interact with the Objective universe and even partake in the
      gestalt thereof, the Magus now resides in the Subjective universe of
      his or her own making. This Subjective universe may or may not
      interact with similar universes of other enlightened Magi at the sole
      discretion and acceptance of both Magi, but is complete in and of itself.
      3. The Law of the Primordial: The Magus may enact change in his or
      her Subjective universe by the application of Will, and by the magical
      dictum of "As Above, So Below" may enact change in the Objective
      universe. It is the task of the Magus to reconcile and understand the
      transcended nature of Microcosm and Macrocosm.

      Thoughts?
    • camlion@aol.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 22 12:15 PM
        93 Michael,

        In a message dated 4/21/2008 11:31:36 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
        michael@... writes:

        > 1. The Law of Sovereignty: The Magus is the sovereign of his or
        > her own person. As such, he or she carries the burden of
        > responsibility for their actions, magical or mundane, whether
        > consciously intended or not.
        > 2. The Law of Isolation: The Magus was formerly of the Objective
        > universe. The Magus is no longer part of the Objective universe. The
        > Magus is above the Objective universe, over it, beyond it. While able
        > to interact with the Objective universe and even partake in the
        > gestalt thereof, the Magus now resides in the Subjective universe of
        > his or her own making. This Subjective universe may or may not
        > interact with similar universes of other enlightened Magi at the sole
        > discretion and acceptance of both Magi, but is complete in and of itself.
        > 3. The Law of the Primordial: The Magus may enact change in his or
        > her Subjective universe by the application of Will, and by the magical
        > dictum of "As Above, So Below" may enact change in the Objective
        > universe. It is the task of the Magus to reconcile and understand the
        > transcended nature of Microcosm and Macrocosm.
        >
        > Thoughts?

        The same could be said of any man or any woman. What you are describing seems
        close akin to the sort of conditional 'enlightened solipsism' which I
        sometimes attribute to the Thelemic perspective.

        93 93/93
        Camlion

      • 333
        Message 3 of 3 , May 20, 2008
          Do what the fuck you wanna, they shant say nay.

          I like examinations of magic principles and how these square with
          whatever are perceived to be universal norms, or thelemic style.
          thanks for thinkig on it and contributing it here. another set i
          found valuable are those by Isaac Bonewits (that anti-Satanist
          and anti-cultism mongerer), whose "Real Magic" is a favourite
          intro to the subject -- he got a degree in magic from UCBerkeley!).
          I think that those from his text are online and e could consider
          them here, evaluating them in asociation with those below or at
          least with respect to whatever Thelemic standards there may be.

          michael@...:
          # > 1. The Law of Sovereignty: The Magus is the sovereign of his or
          # > her own person. As such, he or she carries the burden of
          # > responsibility for their actions, magical or mundane, whether
          # > consciously intended or not.

          this looks conflicted. persons intersect and jostle one another.
          the Sovereignty of the Will seems to presuppose either that no
          contradiction of 'universal' energies is likely or that wrestling
          is perfectly fine and part of the process ("as brothers...."?).
          your projection and hope that the Magus will carry the burden of
          responsibility for their actions is neat, but i don't think there
          is much supporting it. occultists who style themselves Magus (you
          figure it out if they are one) often leave wakes of wreckage. in
          their insulated minds they aren't "responsible" for the havoc which
          they have wreaked. if they wreak havoc are they "not Magi"? if
          they avoid the responsibility for the social crap they stir up,
          are they counterfeits, or just partly-skilled officers? was it a
          sign that the societies they are disrupting "needed" disruption?

          not strictly necessary for magic.

          # > 2. The Law of Isolation: The Magus was formerly of the Objective
          # > universe. The Magus is no longer part of the Objective universe. The
          # > Magus is above the Objective universe, over it, beyond it. While able
          # > to interact with the Objective universe and even partake in the
          # > gestalt thereof, the Magus now resides in the Subjective universe of
          # > his or her own making. This Subjective universe may or may not
          # > interact with similar universes of other enlightened Magi at the sole
          # > discretion and acceptance of both Magi, but is complete in and of itself.

          there is a great deal of helpful function in this principle. it informs
          the notions of Solipsism and the (Evil?) Genius. the Macrocosm and
          Microcosm are identified, mingled, and lost to the grasp of those who
          somehow transcend them and their categorical association of being. is
          this strictly conceptual? possibly. if the connection is symbolic and
          ideational, perhaps that's all that is necessary for the Magical Link?

          the idea of the cosmic officer is used by Rosicrucians of varying merit.
          I think Paschal Beverly Randolph (an occultist known as 'The Rosicrucian'
          to whom Crowley and many other occultists are indebted, and from whom
          Crowley got his scriptural slogans: "Will reigns Omnipotent; Love lieth
          at the Foundation" ("Mysteries of Eulis," 1874; before Crowley was born))
          should be credited with the thelemic propagation long prior to Crowley.

          not strictly necessary for magic.

          # > 3. The Law of the Primordial: The Magus may enact change in his or
          # > her Subjective universe by the application of Will, and by the magical
          # > dictum of "As Above, So Below" may enact change in the Objective
          # > universe. It is the task of the Magus to reconcile and understand the
          # > transcended nature of Microcosm and Macrocosm.

          I'd disagree that this is rational. the Magus by virtue of their
          condition already transcends that distinction and employs the
          re-mingled or pre-mixed cosmic fluff to their advantage. are
          Magi all monists?

          again, not strictly necessary for magic, but helpful.

          camlion@...:
          # The same could be said of any man or any woman. What you are
          # describing seems close akin to the sort of conditional
          # 'enlightened solipsism' which I sometimes attribute to
          # the Thelemic perspective.

          perspective can make a huge difference, agreed. mystics talk
          about ways of seeing and how these might be employed to achieve
          what they think of as important ends (arguable). when linkage
          amongst the world's 'stuff' becomes imperative, then being able
          to release absolute perceptual discreteness modifiers seems
          like a desirable skill.

          Invoke me under my stars.