Re: [t93] Re: OTO calls out the lawyers again!

  • Ben Burch
    Message 1 of 33 , Nov 30, 2007
      93!

      As I understand it you need permission to present anybody's written
      works for profit.

      Period.

      Such permission was obviously not even asked for in this case.

      OTO will likely win this case if it goes to trial.

      Also, it is my understanding that "fair use" does not extend to
      personal communications or unpublished works.

      But IANAL, so YMMV.

      --
      "Love is the law, love under will."
      -Ben Burch

      The Concerned Women for America; You will never find a more wretched
      hive of scum and villainy.
    • Donald Correll
      Message 33 of 33 , Jan 24, 2008
        Care Frater Bruce,

        Re:
        > ...And! Allen is a very likeable and creative person who brings
        > a lot to the table with considerable drive and energy. I wish
        > that I could say the same for others in OTO leadership
        > positions...

        And Re: From my own experience, I have found that
        observations from within are rather clouded in comparison to
        observations from without. Having being out of the Order for
        just over 6 years, I have had much time to reflect.

        When you are inside something, it is often harder to make
        observations about the thing, than if you are outside. When
        outside you can see more of the whole, rather than the
        small. To see the macrocosm, and not just the microcosm.
        Inotherwords, what I am trying to say, is that it was easier
        for me to understand the whole Order from an outside
        position.

        I too have spent a season in the desert. My aren't the stars
        bright in the wilderness. You can almost see by their light.

        Re: And in my opinion, when all is said and done and
        understood, the "others in OTO leadership positions, are
        doing a superb job. It is so easy to criticize. In fact, its
        one of the easiest things to do. Those in an OTO leadership
        position have got their ownt reasons, that may not be
        understood by all. But I believe sincerely that the Order is
        being run better and better all the time under its present
        leadership. Unless you are in a leadership position, its
        not always easy to judge. And no one has ever said it is run
        as a Democracy. In some rsspects, its a military order for
        the promalgation of Thelema.

        This is my opinion.

        Thank you for your opinion. I hope that my remarks were not
        interpreted as in any way critical of anyone. I merely
        wished to report a hopefull period of reconciliation in the
        war torn ATL OTO area.

        As to current OTO leadership, I have no opinion. As I
        previously mentioned my current role is that of a Bystander.

        [MODERATOR reformatted for readability; double-spaced;
        quotation method may be confusing, unable to tell and
        left as is; the convention of 'Re:' without quotation
        in clarity may not really work for us long-term.]