Re: [t93] The subversion of Thelema to Christian interests

  • Alamantra
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 14, 2005
      From: eyeofhoor
      To: thelema93-l@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Sunday, March 13, 2005 12:43 AM
      Subject: [t93] The subversion of Thelema to Christian interests

      There appears to be a concerted effort on the part of participants in
      a number of Thelemic forums to portray Thelema as conceptualized in
      the Book of the Law as an extension of the Christian religion...

      Adapted from an ol 'spiritual'

      Nuit loves me this I know. Liber Al, it tells me so
      Little ones to Her be long...
      So sing Her praise and pass the bong
      Yes, Nuit loves me
      Yes, Nuit loves me
      Yes, Nuit loves me
      For Liber Al, it tells me so...

      Extension of, founded from, influenced by etc... but not the Christian RELIGION, but Christian symbolism ...and other symbolism too. (i.e. "The abomination of desolation" ..."Great Beast 666" etc.)
      Crowley's concept was about amalgamation, synthesis... See Liber Al II:5

      Bliss:
      Alamantra
      www.greaterthelema.org
      www.alamantra.org
      www.ashejournal.com
      www.antiqillum.com

    • eyeofhoor
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 14, 2005
        Julianus <julianus@k...> wrote:

        > Where exactly? I've noticed some similarities between the two but
        > I'm aware of no evidence Campbell ever read Crowley (or heard of
        > him for that matter.)

        In one of the lectures broadcast on PBS in the late 80's Campbell
        noted how Christian and Jewish myths were strongly influenced by
        Egyptian myths. While drawing a link between Christianity and the
        worship of Osiris, Campbell points out that Crowley recognized the
        influence and was one of the first to write about it.

        > Still it is interesting that Campbell was apparently born on the
        > Equinox of the Gods in 1904:)

        I was unaware of the fact--it is an interesting coincidence.

        Prophet of L