Re: [t93] AMORC, Cults, Degree Secrets

  • qadosh
    Message 1 of 4 , May 30, 2004
      Sorry for the lateness of this reply. Lets get to it already.

      > [story of high degree AMORC member amusingly referring to
      > "Do what thou wilt" as a "high degree secret" omitted]

      > #> it isn't unusual for secret societies and cults. what is not
      > #> known is referred to as a secret, or, in some instances, what
      > #> passes for 'secrets' are what are regarded as 'the Keys to the
      > #> Cosmos' and are sacreded away from the initiate (these being
      > #> reasons why the candidate doesn't need the order, has all the
      > #> power anyway, and, when achieving high enough position within
      > #> said society, are considered beyond restriction). these kinds
      > #> of ideologies give leave to the order's upper echelon to
      > #> engage in all kinds of idiocies without responsibility. they
      > #> are regarded as 'superior to human morality' and allowed a
      > #> good deal of leeway before being reined in as 'against the
      > #> best interests of the order' or whatever passes for censure.

      This has come up a lot especialy within the OTO. I don't know if this is
      the case in other groups like AMORC BOTA etc.

      > a secret society probably wouldn't trust you with the Keys to
      > the Cosmos until it was sure that you were reliable and likely
      > act in accord with what their upper echelon thinks is ethical.

      Anymore then they did Crowley durring his Golden Dawn era.

      > # Are you dissin "Secret Societies"

      > absolutely! ;

      I find this strange because your other identitiy in this community is
      in Freemasonry

      > most of them have social interaction to offer. for more than
      > that I cannot vouch, and I am predisposed to doubt their
      > authority outside their peculiar social network.

      Such as?

      > it has become something of a joke amongst occultists to refer
      > to that which one is unfamiliar as "beyond the grade" of any
      > who ask about it. concealment of ignorance through reference
      > to standards of secrecy is an age-old ploy.

      Espeicaly since the Internet.

      Avalon Qadosh.
    • 333
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 22, 2004
        50040722 viii om

        qadosh:
        # Sorry for the lateness of this reply. Lets get to it already.

        ditto!! ;>

        333:
        #> a secret society probably wouldn't trust you with the Keys to
        #> the Cosmos until it was sure that you were reliable and likely
        #> act in accord with what their upper echelon thinks is ethical.
        #
        # Anymore then they did Crowley durring his Golden Dawn era.

        maybe so. at some point he took to attempting to expand his circle
        of initiates by effecting initiation by mail.

        #># Are you dissin "Secret Societies"
        #
        #> absolutely! ;>
        #
        # I find this strange because your other identitiy in this community is
        # in Freemasonry

        I've never been a Freemason and do not personally support secrecy,
        but share some of the values inherent to their various systems.
        I'm a member of a quasi-masonic fraternity ((c)OTO as a discipline),
        but this should *not* be taken as support for anyone else becoming
        a member of same. my wife and mate was initiated by Comasons and I
        have known a few Freemasons who shared some of my interests, but
        the issue of secrecy usually got in the way somehow.

        #> most of them have social interaction to offer. for more than
        #> that I cannot vouch, and I am predisposed to doubt their
        #> authority outside their peculiar social network.
        #
        # Such as?

        OTO, AA, GD, Freemasons, AMORC, etc. I can't vouch for them.
        their membership connections may be valuable, some say that
        they don't find socialization in them at all or it takes on
        very circumscribed or formulaic structures. their initiation
        styles and the constraints imposed by them within these rites
        may not be conducive to the discovery and/or adherence to
        one's True Will. beware.

        #> it has become something of a joke amongst occultists to refer
        #> to that which one is unfamiliar as "beyond the grade" of any
        #> who ask about it. concealment of ignorance through reference
        #> to standards of secrecy is an age-old ploy.
        #
        # Espeicaly since the Internet.

        no doubt. the tenuous nature of the internet makes it all the
        more easy to present someone with an air of authority if one
        is skilled in the use of didactic and/or imperious speech. :>