Re: The key of the rituals

  • eyeofhoor
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 24, 2003
      Lady Jane, "shapeshifter202", wrote:

      > But when you say that Nu in Egyptian means "count" - I can't find
      > that translation. All the different hieroglyphs I can find for Nu
      > translate into words such as "of", "they, them", "babe,
      > child", "sky", "water", and "the Sky-god".
      >
      > I'm using Budge as my source - how about you?

      The only problem I have with Budge, Faulkner, or any of the other
      established authorities on Egyptian language is their work has become
      dated in certain areas--the same as Crowley's. It's a matter of
      progress. I prefer using the most recent large dictionary generated,
      an English translation of the Beinlich word list. Here's a link to it:

      http://www.geocities.com/cgbusch/egyptology/eng_sort.txt

      There used to be several sources for the English translation of the
      dictionary online, now there is only one. It would be wise to cut and
      paste it to a text editor and store it to your hard drive while the
      chance remains.

      The Egyptian words are written in *Manuel De Codage*, a convenient
      system for representing Egyptian signs that uses English letters for
      signs. Some more links that can bring you or others up to speed on
      the system if need be:

      http://www.rostau.org.uk/AEgyptian-L/learning/hierointro.html

      If you go to the bottom of the page and click on "Week1", you can
      observe the discussions on some of the recent modifications that are
      being applied to Egyptian language.

      You will not find an Egyptian dictionary that defines "nu"
      as "count." My conclusions are based on the spellings of the words
      for the ordinal counts two thru eight and words related to numbering
      and counting in general:

      sn.nw = "second"
      xmt.nw = "third"
      fd.nw = "fourth"
      diw.nw = "fifth"
      sisw.nw = "sixth"
      sfxw.nw = "seventh"
      xmn-nw = "eighth"
      Tnw = "number"
      Tnw.t = "numbering"

      All of the words end in "nw"(nu), or "nw.t"(nut or nuit). Nuit was
      synonymous with time and counting to the Egyptians. "Nu" also
      means "time, and "rope", with the rope used to symbolize the passage
      of time. Also related is the word "wnw.t", which means both "a star"
      (singular), and "hour."

      > More suprises please! *G*

      Soon. ;-)

      Prophet of L