0=2 Illogical (was Zero Exists?)

  • 333
    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 30, 2001
      50011130 VI! om

      all the old religions are black.

      "Jones, David R." <djones@...>:
      > Zero is the point of origin in a Cartesian coordinate system,

      0,0,0 is the coordinate of that point. zero is (arguably)
      a numerical concept quite beside the point of whether the
      point 0,0,0 is itself called zero.

      > and is
      > defined along any axis by the negative continuation, to the left in the
      > case of the x axis (or down along the y axis or back along the z axis)
      > and the positive continuation to the right (or up or fwd as the case may
      > be).

      the 0,0,0 point is defined by its centricity. everything proceeds from
      there, whether or not negative numbers are used, as you say.

      > In mathematical parlance this is absolute value, because a
      > movement to the left though it be negative is actually still only that
      > value in a different direction.

      agreed.

      > Therefore the 2=0 equation is not only valid

      this is false. the 0=2 equation is a metaphor, not mathematically valid.
      those who try to prove it logically will find that it falls apart
      except as a model for the elucidation of esoteric concepts.

      > but indicative of the most basic definition of 0 as a value
      > correlating arithmetic to geometric systems. In simple terms:
      > |-1| + |1| = 2
      > (-1) + 1 = 0

      while these TWO equations are illustrative of the difference between
      absolute and relative value, they do not enable the clever mathematician
      to thereafter equate 0 and 2 except in strictly illogical minds.

      religion is one thing, math another, except to true Pythagoreans. ;>

      333
    • 333
      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 30, 2001
        50011130 VI! om

        christitian:

        "Eric O'Dell" <eodell@...>:
        > Um, there are only 22 trumps.

        are there? how can you tell? conventionally there have been many decks
        of tarocci/tarot cards which contained 21 and 22 Major or Trump cards,
        but I'm aware of no special limitation on the number for the
        construction of tarot cards. of course there is the humourous assertion
        that the 22 Hebrew letters/ToL Paths somehow determine or constrain the
        number of Trumps, but I'm unaware of the logic or necessity of this. :>

        333
      • Eric O'Dell
        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 30, 2001
          On Fri, 30 Nov 2001, 333 wrote:

          > "Eric O'Dell" <eodell@...>:
          > > Um, there are only 22 trumps.
          >
          > are there? how can you tell? conventionally there have been many decks
          > of tarocci/tarot cards which contained 21 and 22 Major or Trump cards,
          > but I'm aware of no special limitation on the number for the
          > construction of tarot cards. of course there is the humourous assertion
          > that the 22 Hebrew letters/ToL Paths somehow determine or constrain the
          > number of Trumps, but I'm unaware of the logic or necessity of this. :>

          (sigh) ;-)

          I am of course speaking within the context of the Golden Dawn/Crowley
          conception of the Tarot, with the clear understanding that the particular
          Tarot under consideration has been carefully constructed to mesh well with
          other symbol-sets in that tradition, including the Tree of Life, the
          quinances of the Zodiac, and so on.

          My day job -- which I find mildly embarrassing -- is as a programmer and
          systems administrator for tarot.com, a moderately-to-highly New Agey
          vendor of online Tarot readings. Our interpretations are provided by a
          charming local woman who styles herself a "Tarot scholar" and who has an
          undying loathing for the GD and Crowley variants on the Tarot. I keep
          telling her that it is not especially meaningful to speak of "the" Tarot,
          as if it were some primal archetype written with letters of black fire on
          white fire in the mind of the Ancient of Days; one can only meaningfully
          speak of *a* Tarot.

          All that being said, I am unaware of anything with 28+ trumps that calls
          itself a Tarot, though there are certainly other systems of cartomancy.
          I'm surprised there aren't more, in fact.

          Love is the law, love under will.

          Regards,
          Eric
        • Frater T.S.
          Message 4 of 11 , Nov 30, 2001
            93 Eric,

            on a point of information...

            --- In thelema93-l@y..., "Eric O'Dell" <eodell@s...> wrote:
            > On Fri, 30 Nov 2001, 333 wrote:
            >
            > <snip>
            >
            > All that being said, I am unaware of anything with 28+ trumps
            > that calls itself a Tarot,

            I have had the misfortune to come across one such; the "Enochian
            Tarot" by Schueler & Schueler. 30 Trumps based on the Vision and
            the Voice, 56 Minors in 4 suits based rather clumsily on the G.D.
            version of the hierarchy of the Elemental Tablets. The art isn't
            too bad though...

            love,
            dancingstar
          • Malkuth93
            Message 5 of 11 , Nov 30, 2001
              > Where's the zero in the middle? Zero exists, we don't know it, we
              > don't know where's it. But like Galileu said, on another discussion
              > said «...it moves...».

              Got to love those intergers :)

              Malkuth93