New Member

  • ponygal_1964
    Message 1 of 82 , May 24, 2000
      Hello All!<br>I am a 33 yr. old female with 2
      teenaged kids. I have been a full charge
      bookeeper/secretary for a small corporation for 10 yrs. I have a
      G.E.D. and have never attended college. I have been
      considering either paralegal studies or legal studies for
      quite some time and have questions. <br>1) Why are all
      of you studying to become paralegals and not
      lawyers?<br>2) Is paralegal study so demanding that it would be
      very very difficult for someone in my life situation
      to study a lot and excell in courses? In other
      words, (being fairly bright and a quick learner -
      usually) would my studies keep me up all night and be so
      demanding that I could not have a family life? I want to
      make really good grades, if I enroll, but I don't want
      to sacrifice every other part of my life for this. I
      understand that some sacrifice will be unavoidable. Any
      advice?<br>3) Is the paralegal profession the real "heart and
      soul" of the legal community? It seems that way to me
      from what I have read.<br>4) My current employer
      offers nothing but a paycheck, so I am about to begin
      looking for a new job. My area (Tennessee) has been
      experiencing a very high rate of employment for a couple of
      years now, so employers are fairly easy to find if you
      have good skills, which (not tooting my own horn here)
      I do have good strong office skills and a good
      employment record. In other words, jobs of all kinds are
      plentiful in this area. (don't everybody rush to Tennessee
      taking all my job possibilities!!! :) Any suggestions as
      to what type of job I should be looking for for
      experience, pay, tuition reimbursement, etc.?<br><br>I am
      sorry for such a long post, but am looking for answers
      before I commit. Thanks so much!<br><br>Annitta
    • amklaw_with_mwb_1_i_most_want
      Message 82 of 82 , Nov 16, 2001