Subject: Vote NO to SB2054 and HB 1519 the Paralegal Profession Act

  • sflparalegal
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 1, 2005
      in FL contact your Congressperson and Senators in FL

      RE: The Paralegal Profession Act: VOTE NO!!! There is a bill in FL,
      called the Paralegal Professional Act bill which will eviscerate the
      capability of anyone who receives a degree from Kaplan to be
      a "licensed" paralegal. This is because it prohibits any possibility
      of anyone who learned how to be a paralegal by on-the-job training,
      who worked in the office of their husband/father/wife who is an
      attorney, or who took courses from University of Phoenix, Kaplan
      University (not withstanding Kaplan owns a law school and is itself
      owned by the Washington Post), Corinthian Colleges, Blackstone
      Paralegal School, and all other on-line or distance educational
      campuses. Further, if a convicted felon wants to be a paralegal, he
      or she is prohibited, even if their crime is from 20 years ago!

      As we know, on-line learning is the advent of our new generation;
      this is why even online classes administered by NALA and the
      other "idiot" groups (Sorry to members of NALA, NFPA, NPA etc - I am
      in the process of revoking my membership from all of them, but this
      is my opinion), are capable of granting CLE's. Even the bar allows
      CLE's by on-line education, yet THIS bill REQUIRES "classroom
      instruction."

      Moreover, I personally spoke to Senator Argenziano's staff who
      confirmed the bill being pushed was authored by NALA and its
      counterparts pushing certification. Please write Senator Argenziano
      and tell her to vote NO on SB 2054! Write to her at:
      ARGENZIANO.NANCY.WEB@...

      The bill as currently written prohibits ANYONE who received their
      degree from distance education (in the last five (5) years) to be
      permanently barred from practicing in our chosen profession. This is
      regardless of whether the student spent $25,000 for their degree
      (which is often the cost for an undergraduate degree from an on-line
      college) and yet, now they are banned from the industry they paid to
      become a member...merely due to this ill-conceived bill. Whichever
      organization paid the lobbyist for introducing this bill is nuts! I
      do not post this to personally attack anyone...I just KNOW the bill
      is flawed, and yet, I am humiliated my own money was used to fund
      this bill by my payment of membership fees.
      This bill: http://www.flsenate.gov/session/index.cfm?
      Mode=Bills&SubMenu=1&BI_Mode=ViewBillInfo&BillNum=2054 is NUTS!

      PLEASE WRITE THE any and all FLORIDA SENATORS AND HOUSE ON THIS, OR
      EXPECT IT TO BE INTRODUCED IN YOUR STATE. You can find a list of
      legislators at www.flsenate.gov.

      Michael
      SFLParalegal