newbie

  • benit03
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 18, 2003
      hello all. this looks like a very useful group. I just graduated
      from college in May and want to work in the legal field. I wanted to
      gain some experience before (hopefully) going on to law school so
      I've looked into working as a paralegal. Apparently, NJ really
      requires a paralegal certificate so I'm going to get the certificate
      and hopefully that along with my BA will help me. I'm nervous and
      excited about starting my classes since every career assessment test
      I've taken indicates that working as a paralegal is a good fit with
      my work style and personality. I'm only going part-time since the
      program chair won't allow me to take more than the 3 foundation
      courses so I'd really like to work in a legal environment (prefer law
      firms-even as a receptionist). Anyone have any suggestions? Much
      appreciated- benita
    • Celia C. Elwell, RP
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 26, 2003
        --- In thelawyersassistantprogram@yahoogroups.com, "benit03"
        <benit03@y...> wrote:
        > hello all. this looks like a very useful group. I just graduated
        > from college in May and want to work in the legal field. I wanted
        > gain some experience before (hopefully) going on to law school so
        > I've looked into working as a paralegal. Apparently, NJ really
        > requires a paralegal certificate so I'm going to get the
        certificate
        > and hopefully that along with my BA will help me. I'm nervous and
        > excited about starting my classes since every career assessment
        test
        > I've taken indicates that working as a paralegal is a good fit with
        > my work style and personality. I'm only going part-time since the
        > program chair won't allow me to take more than the 3 foundation
        > courses so I'd really like to work in a legal environment (prefer
        law
        > firms-even as a receptionist). Anyone have any suggestions? Much
        > appreciated- benita

        Benita,

        How is school going? Do you like it?

        Yes, your BA will be very helpful. Don't be nervous! It sounds like
        you're headed in the right direction.

        Celia C. Elwell, RP
      • benit03
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 6, 2003
          Hi Cecelia,
          Classes are going very well. I have received A's on all 3 of my
          midterms (one per class). I really like the material too. I'm
          possibly going to be volunteering at a legal aid organization near my
          town (Legal Services of NJ) as a paralegal with their hotline.
          Mostly it would involve screening callers for income eligibility and
          to explain to the supervising attorneys what the callers' issues were-
          the paralegal part would be that I assume.
          Benita
        • benit03
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 6, 2003
            sorry Celia, I believe I got your name wrong in my first post.