459Getting Ready for the party (tag Emily, Patrick)

    Oct 19, 2013

      (Ali Masjed)

      Next morning, he felt a poke in his ribs as he saw Jack standing by him.  Patrick was sitting by the now almost out fire.

      "Sir!" He stumbled has he hurriedly got to his feet.  "It was a quiet but very cold night," he said.  "I've not seen it get has cold as this before."
       "It's over for another year," he said with a smirk on his face.  "Oh, wait I forgot, it's six months till
      Halloween."

      "Thank the gods!"  Jack paused, realizing that he had said "gods," instead of just "God."  He decided he'd been in India long enough to absorb the idea of there being many gods.  Perhaps that was too long!

      As he saw the Colonel approaching, Patrick said, "Good morning sir.  I just reminded Jack of Halloween; maybe you would like a nice, safe party?  And here's the money for the tea pot I ruined." He handed him the cash.  Don't worry, sir, my wife was not pleased either."

      "I think I'll take leave on next Halloween.  I'll leave you in charge.  How about it?"

      “Yes sir, do I have company funds for it?”

      The Colonel chuckled at the thought of leaving this mischievous officer in charge of the post.  But, a company party was all right.  “Yes, Lieutenant, I am sure the company funds would cover it.”

      Jack couldn't help but smile at the thought of Patrick being in charge of the post on Halloween.  Who knows what would happen?

      "I think," said Jack, "that I'd take leave at the same time."

      “Are you sure you trust me with the running of the camp on that day,” said Patrick, with an evil grin at both.

      "On the other hand," said the Colonel, "maybe I'll just go for a safe party.  Lieutenant, I can put you in charge of organizing it.  What do you think?"

      “I like the idea, sir.”

      “Yes,” said the Colonel, a good idea,” thinking that if the Lieutenant was in charge of something, he’d want it to go right.

       Just then, a Corporal came up and saluted.  "Sir," he said to the Colonel, "I've a message for you."  He handed an envelope to the Colonel.  It was from higher headquarters in Peshawar.

      "Lieutenant, you are relieved from your guard duty.  You can go home and take the day off.  I'll see you, tomorrow.  I've got to go to my office and see what higher headquarters wants."

      “Thank you sir,” he said, wondering if there be enough hot water for the bath when he got home.

      "All right, Patrick," said Jack.  "You're off duty, today, at least here with the Company.  I think Lakshmi was probably lonely all night and may want you to, ah, satisfy her sensitive spots."
      Jack, himself, had a smirk at the thought of the previous night; he and Emily had satisfied each other's sensitive spots.

       “Yes sir. Maybe a nice relaxing bath together.”

       <<Time jump>>

      Ali Masjed was now into October, and Patrick was ordering supplies for the proposed party. He was handing it over to Jack has he came in.  “Will company funds run be all right for this?  Lakshmi told me she would help with the food. The lower ranks will be happy with Indian food, and the officers would like a mixture.  I think it would be good if we got the families involved, what do you say sir?  Then, we can all sit down to some sort of meal and dancing later.  I’ll get in a few sweets for the children.  Let’s just hope the tribes remain quiet for that period.  I hear we’ve had rumblings over the last few months.”
      “Sorry, my Indian is not 100 percent, yet.”  Patrick had been learning the native language from Lakshmi, and he wanted to talk to his company in their own language; so far, the men had been respectful of his time.  Eventually, Patrick hoped to be a full Lieutenant.

      “Yes, I’m all for full participation of families, both British and Indian.  You’re doing a great job so far, Patrick.  I hope the tribes will be quiet until after the party.”  Jack smiled at the thought of inviting the tribes.

      <Patrick>

      “Say, Patrick, how about asking Lakshmi to see if any of her family, and anyone else from the town, would like to come?  They might enjoy seeing how we British celebrate one of our holidays.  They might think it funny.”

      <Patrick>

      After finishing his work, Jack went home to Emily and the four kids.  He kissed Emily and thought about how they would have some more fun, later on, in their bedroom.  “How are you, my love?”

      <Emily>

      “Things are going well for the party.  Do you think you’d have time to do cook some of the food?”

      <Emily>

      At that point, Sayankala came up to her parents and said, “Mummy, daddy, can I wear a soldier costume to the party?  I want to be a soldier, like daddy, when I grow up.”

      Jack smiled.  “What do you think, Emily?”

      <Emily>
      TBC

      The Tindalls and de Montforts
      Ali Masjed