458Patrick in charge of the Party (Tag Colonel, Jack)

    Oct 15, 2013
      (Ali Masjed)

      Emily and Jack are settling down in their bungalow, for the night, after visiting the Tindalls, where Emily read a story to Indra.
      Later, in their own bungalow, she spoke to Jack.  "I overhead him, on the way home.  I think he's done something to the sugar and salt, gas well."

      Jack smiled.  "Yes, he really went to town, this year.  But, I think we are all used to it; it's just that he should be careful not to damage things that are gifts.  He got off with a light punishment.  He'll be off duty, tomorrow and can sleep in."

      "Jack, is that all Patrick is getting this year?  I heard him say something about sugar and salt.  You think the cook's discovered that one yet?"

      "I'm sure the cook knows to be careful, by now, on the first of April and on Halloween."

      "I think you're right, Jack," she said, as she playfully kissed him.
      Jack returned the kiss, feeling passion for his wife.
      "Now, let's put the children to bed and have a little time to ourselves."
      "Yes, dear," it sounds like fun," she replied, thinking about how cold it got at night here.  She wondered how Patrick would fare.  He had gotten what he deserved, this time.
      As they got the twins and readied them for bed, Emily said, "Now it's our turn to help Miriam and Saya to bed."
      "Let's get to it; I'm longing for the comforts of our bed!'"
      Patrick thought how bitterly it cold it got on the post at night as he drew the great coat he wore closely round his shoulders.  The wind was biting into him has he did another round of the perimeter; he could not wait until he reached the guard house to warm himself up by the fire the men had going.
      Next morning, he felt a poke in his ribs as he saw Jack standing by him.  Patrick was sitting by the now almost out fire.
       "Sir!" He stumbled has he hurriedly got to his feet.
      "It was a quiet but very cold night," he said.  "I've not seen it get has cold as this before."
       "It's over for another year," he said with a smirk on his face.  "Oh, wait I forgot, it's six months till Halloween."
       "Thank the gods!"  Jack paused, realizing that he had said "gods," instead of just "God."  He decided he'd been in India long enough to absorb the idea of there being many gods.  Perhaps that was too long!
       As he saw the Colonel approaching, Patrick said, "Good morning sir.  I just reminded Jack of Halloween; maybe you would like a nice, safe party?  And here's the money for the tea pot I ruined." He handed him the cash.  Don't worry sir my wife was not pleased either."
      "I think I'll take leave on next Halloween.  I'll leave you in charge.  How about it?"
      “Yes sir, do I have company funds for it?”
      <Colonel >
      Jack couldn't help but smile at the thought of Patrick being in charge of the post on Halloween.  Who knows what would happen?
      "I think," said Jack, "that I'd take leave at the same time."
      “Are you sure you trust me with the running of the camp on that day,” said Patrick, with an evil grin at both.
      "On the other hand," said the Colonel, "maybe I'll just go for a safe party.  Lieutenant, I can put you in charge of organizing it.  What do you think?"

      “I like the idea, sir.”
      <Colonel >
       Just then, a Corporal came up and saluted.  "Sir," he said to the Colonel, "I've a message for you."  He handed an envelope to the Colonel.  It was from higher headquarters in Peshawar.
      "Lieutenant, you are relieved from your guard duty.  You can go home and take the day off.  I'll see you, tomorrow.  I've got to go to my office and see what higher headquarters wants."
      “Thank you sir,” he said, wondering if there be enough hot water for the bath when he got home.
      "All right, Patrick," said Jack.  "You're off duty, today, at least here with the Company.  I think Lakshmi was probably lonely all night and may want you to, ah, satisfy her sensitive spots."
      Jack, himself, had a smirk at the thought of the previous night; he and Emily had satisfied each other's sensitive spots.
       “Yes sir. Maybe a nice relaxing bath together.”
      Time jump
      Ali Masjed was now into October and Patrick was ordering supplies for the proposed party. He was handing it over to Jack has he came in.  “Will company funds run be all right for this?  Lakshmi told me she would help with the food. The lower ranks will be happy with Indian food, and the officers would like a mixture.  I think it would be good if we got the families involved, what do you say sir?  Then, we can all sit down to some sort of meal and dancing later.  I’ll get in a few sweets for the children.  Let’s just hope the tribes remain quiet for that period.  I hear we’ve had rumblings over the last few months.”
      “Sorry, my Indian is not 100 percent, yet.”  Patrick had been learning the native language from Lakshmi, and he wanted to talk to his company in their own language; so far, the men had been respectful of his time.  Eventually, Patrick hoped to be a full Lieutenant.
      <Jack>
      TBC
      The Tindalls and de Montforts
      Ali Masjed