(Semi-OT:) Iron Munro Question...

  • jfglade
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 1, 2005
      This question deals not with the Justice Society, but with the
      post-crisis 'Young All Stars' title, which is only tangentally related
      to the Justice Society.

      In all of the pseudo-biographical references I can find on Arn "Iron"
      Munro, the fact that he eschew any sort of costume or codename is
      emphasised. My question is: were Iron's biological mother and her
      husband dead when he first appeared in 'Young All-Stars' #1? If not,
      wasn't he putting either or both (I could see where one or the other
      might be dead, but not both) at risk by being so open about his real
      identity? I didn't follow that title, so I have no idea what his
      relationship was with his mother and the man he probably assumed was
      his father.

      Anyone know for certain?
    • LARRY WOLF

          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 2, 2005
            Larry, by "dear old dad," do you mean Hugo Danner, or do you mean
            Mister Munro, who married Arn's mother and who probably thought
            Arn was his own child? What I really would like to know is if Mister
            Munro was alive during any part of the short-lived series, or if
            Arn's mother was a widow.

            --- In thejusticesociety@yahoogroups.com, LARRY WOLF
            <larrywolfpack@y...> wrote:

            > Arn's mother was in issue one & dear old dad came later.....
            >

            > Larry
            >

            > jfglade <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
            > This question deals not with the Justice Society, but with the
            > post-crisis 'Young All Stars' title, which is only tangentally
            related
            > to the Justice Society.
            >
            > In all of the pseudo-biographical references I can find on
            Arn "Iron"
            > Munro, the fact that he eschew any sort of costume or codename is
            > emphasised. My question is: were Iron's biological mother and her
            > husband dead when he first appeared in 'Young All-Stars' #1? If
            not,
            > wasn't he putting either or both (I could see where one or the
            other
            > might be dead, but not both) at risk by being so open about his
            real
            > identity? I didn't follow that title, so I have no idea what his
            > relationship was with his mother and the man he probably assumed
            was
            > his father.
            >
            > Anyone know for certain?

            Service.

            > ---------------------------------
            >

            > ---------------------------------

          • LARRY WOLF
            Message 5 of 10 , Dec 2, 2005
              I did mean Mr Danner-I think Mrs Munro was a young widow.

              <larrywolfpack@y...> wrote:

              > Arn's mother was in issue one & dear old dad came later.....
              >

              >   Larry
              >

              > jfglade <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
              >   This question deals not with the Justice Society, but with the
              > post-crisis 'Young All Stars' title, which is only tangentally
              related
              > to the Justice Society.
              >
              > In all of the pseudo-biographical references I can find on
              Arn "Iron"
              > Munro, the fact that he eschew any sort of costume or codename is
              > emphasised. My question is: were Iron's biological mother and her
              > husband dead when he first appeared in 'Young All-Stars' #1? If
              not,
              > wasn't he putting either or both (I could see where one or the
              other
              > might be dead, but not both) at risk by being so open about his
              real
              > identity? I didn't follow that title, so I have no idea what his
              > relationship was with his mother and the man he probably assumed
              was
              > his father.
              >
              > Anyone know for certain?

              Service.

              > ---------------------------------
              >

              > ---------------------------------
              >  Yahoo! Music Unlimited - Access over 1 million songs. Try it free.

              Yahoo! Shopping

              Yahoo! Shopping

            • c_midnite
              Message 6 of 10 , Dec 2, 2005
                --- jfglade <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                > This question deals not with the Justice Society,
                > but with the
                > post-crisis 'Young All Stars' title, which is only
                > tangentally related
                > to the Justice Society.
                >
                > In all of the pseudo-biographical references I can
                > find on Arn "Iron"
                > Munro, the fact that he eschew any sort of costume
                > or codename is
                > emphasised. My question is: were Iron's biological
                > mother and her
                > husband dead when he first appeared in 'Young
                > All-Stars' #1? If not,
                > wasn't he putting either or both (I could see where
                > one or the other
                > might be dead, but not both) at risk by being so
                > open about his real
                > identity? I didn't follow that title, so I have no
                > idea what his
                > relationship was with his mother and the man he
                > probably assumed was
                > his father.
                >
                > Anyone know for certain?

                His mom was alive. The YAS stayed at her place (in
                Colorado?) for a while.

                Sean
              • Richard J.
                Message 7 of 10 , Dec 4, 2005
                  I have all but one of the 31 issues of YAS. I remembered his birth
                  mother, who also raised him, appearing early on.

                  Apparently the man who raised him as a father was already dead, but
                  his mother was still alive. She said she didn't know for certain if
                  John Munro knew the baby wasn't his or not. She suspected he did, but
                  she never knew for certain. Nothing like a wholesome, loving marriage
                  with secrets and non-communication in it.

                  Hugo Danner did return to her after faking his own death. He even
                  said it may have brought on the demise of his own mother, just
                  something else he will have to live with. All heart, this guy was.

                  Hugo Danner would turn up toward the end of the series and kill
                  himself by jumping in the smokestack of a nearby factory, after all
                  the natives he had injected with his super blood as infants (or heck,
                  he could have biologically fathered them all, it didn't matter) would
                  die after being exposed to the germ of the common cold.

                  Only after his father kills himself does Arn Munro shed a tear.
                  Helene Kosmatos would do the same thing with Arn after bitching at
                  him off and on through the entire series; cry when she thought he was
                  dead.

                  I suppose you could chalk it up that no one was interested in
                  threatening Arn's mother and bring the wrath of the YAS down upon
                  them?

                  I suppose even a jealous townsperson could venture to her and kill
                  her to hurt the superhero, but this never took place.

                  Or you could say no one was interested in Arn Munro as a hero.

                  YAS had numerous contradictions to life from the 1930s and 1940s.
                  None of these young heroes would join any military branch, while of
                  course IN the 1940s, all the members of All Star Comics had to join
                  some service.

                  There was no frowning or disapproval of the YAS not joining anything.
                  They are regarded in the book as true heroes.

                  And there doesn't seem to be any scandal with Mrs. Munro having the
                  child of another man; whether anyone else knew or not, she doesn't
                  display any sign of scandal for herself. She doesn't go to a priest
                  or anything for confessional. Or maybe we just aren't shown this
                  event, but heck, we are given numerous other little tidbits and
                  things, whether they are crucial or not.

                  We are even given a nosy neighbor who doesn't wonder about Arn's
                  powers.

                  --- In thejusticesociety@yahoogroups.com, jfglade <no_reply@y...>
                  wrote:

                  > This question deals not with the Justice Society, but with the
                  > post-crisis 'Young All Stars' title, which is only tangentally
                  related
                  > to the Justice Society.
                  >
                  > In all of the pseudo-biographical references I can find on
                  Arn "Iron"
                  > Munro, the fact that he eschew any sort of costume or codename is
                  > emphasised. My question is: were Iron's biological mother and her
                  > husband dead when he first appeared in 'Young All-Stars' #1? If
                  not,
                  > wasn't he putting either or both (I could see where one or the
                  other
                  > might be dead, but not both) at risk by being so open about his
                  real
                  > identity? I didn't follow that title, so I have no idea what his
                  > relationship was with his mother and the man he probably assumed
                  was
                  > his father.
                  >
                  > Anyone know for certain?

                • Allen Neuner
                  Message 8 of 10 , Dec 5, 2005
                    This might sound like anathema to some on this list, but...I think
                    Young All-Stars was one of the bigger mistakes perpetrated after
                    Crisis was over. In a world without Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman,
                    Green Arrow, and Aquaman, you got lite versions of the five of them
                    ("Iron" Munro, Flying Fox, Fury, Tigress, and the team of Tsunami and
                    Neptune Perkins) -- something which, IMO, the post-Crisis WWII era
                    didn't really need.

                    It might have been better if Young All-Stars focused on the teen
                    heroes of the era -- Robin, Sandy, Dyna-Mite, Star-Spangled Kid,
                    Little Boy Blue, and Pinky (remember him? Mr. Scarlet's kid
                    partner?) -- instead of trying to replace that which, by editorial
                    fiat, had to be removed permanently.

                    Roy Thomas has made a lot of contributions in terms of "filling in
                    the gaps" with Golden Age heroes, coming up with imaginative retcons
                    and giving richer lives to the existing characters, and every now and
                    again coming up with some new characters that don't seem out of
                    place. But Young All-Stars was just one of his clunkers.

                    -- Allen
                  • Stanley L. Alston, Jr.
                    Message 9 of 10 , Dec 5, 2005
                      YAS had numerous contradictions to life
                      from the 1930s and 1940s. None of these
                      young heroes would join any military
                      branch, while of course IN the 1940s,
                      all the members of All Star Comics had
                      to join some service.

                      That's mainly because most of them were
                      not of draftable age. You needed to be
                      at least 18 to register for the draft.
                      All of the members of the JSA, and this
                      includes the Atom, were either college
                      age or older, therefore they could join
                      the military with little problem. The
                      YAS members were still in high school
                      and I have no idea what Neptune Perkins
                      age was suppose to be. As for Tsunami,
                      since she was Japanese-American, you
                      come up to the problem of whether she
                      would've been allowed to join the WAC,
                      WAVES or even as a nurse, because of
                      the bias against those Americans of
                      Japanese descent at the time. Lastly,
                      anyone younger than 18 would need their
                      parents permission to even join the
                      service, and IIRC, they needed to be
                      close to the draft age of 18 for that
                      to happen.

                      Stanley
                    • ddpiv4
                      Message 10 of 10 , Dec 7, 2005
                        I think "Young All-Stars" might have worked better had they never done
                        it in the first place. :-) Instead, do more stories ala All-Star
                        Squadron #64 when he felt the need. I can see including what he did
                        with Miss America and Fury to replace Wonder Woman, but generally the
                        heroes he lost access to after the Crisis weren't ones he was using
                        that often anyway.

                        Using the JSA characters might have been tricky, because I think DC was
                        frowning on regular use of those guys (the whole "wanting to avoid
                        confusion" thing), but he could have focused on the standard regulars
                        (Firebrand, Johnny Quick, Liberty Belle, etc.) and then making greater
                        use of some of the other lesser known Golden Agers.

                        Water pretty far under the bridge, though... :-)

                        --- In thejusticesociety@yahoogroups.com, "Allen Neuner"