1974 WW TV movie

  • Mark Orr
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 1, 2005
      > Ricardo Montalban as the villian and the renegade Amazon was a former
      > Price is Right beauty I have been told.

      Anitra Ford. I had a major lech for her as a young feller. I've always
      had a thing for exotic brunettes. :{) She only made a few movies,
      including playing Burt Reynolds' girlfriend at the beginning of THE
      LONGEST YARD and an awful B(ee)-movie, INVASION OF THE BEE GIRLS with
      William Smith, who was Arnold's daddy in CONAN THE BARBARIAN.

      She woulda been better as WW than Cathy Lee Crosby. But then again, so
      would Phil Silvers.

      Mark-O
    • Richard J.
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 1, 2005
        Yes, Anitra would have made a better Wonder Woman.

        I find it very easy to watch this movie, because quite honestly it
        doesn't play like Wonder Woman, no one ever really calls her Wonder
        Woman, so it might as well be the Adventures of Feminist Woman or
        Amazon Angel, or Katie, the Super Sleuth.

        For the record, Cloris Leachman portrayed Hippolyta in Lynda Carter's
        version. I recall very well Diana's removal of the wig and her
        comments and Leachman's reaction. It was all very well done.

        Just a shame the show left the forties and that it chose to go a near
        super-villian-less route like the fifties Superman.

        But while the Superman show is helped along by Noel Neill, Jack
        Larson and Perry Whomever and its strained attempt to be intelligent
        (The Breaking Statues Episode is a major league hokey one), there is
        no one in Carter's WW who does this. Lyle Waggoner? Puh-lease.

        Whenever I watched Carter's WW, I just spend my time staring at that
        golden eagle emblem.

        --- In thejusticesociety@yahoogroups.com, Mark Orr <mark.orr@g...>
        wrote:

        > > Ricardo Montalban as the villian and the renegade Amazon was a
        former
        > > Price is Right beauty I have been told.
        >
        > Anitra Ford. I had a major lech for her as a young feller. I've
        always
        > had a thing for exotic brunettes. :{) She only made a few movies,
        > including playing Burt Reynolds' girlfriend at the beginning of THE
        > LONGEST YARD and an awful B(ee)-movie, INVASION OF THE BEE GIRLS
        with
        > William Smith, who was Arnold's daddy in CONAN THE BARBARIAN.
        >
        > She woulda been better as WW than Cathy Lee Crosby. But then again,
        so
        > would Phil Silvers.
        >
        > Mark-O
      • Terry Canote
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 2, 2005
          > Yes, Anitra would have made a better Wonder Woman.
          >
          > I find it very easy to watch this movie, because quite honestly it
          > doesn't play like Wonder Woman, no one ever really calls her Wonder
          > Woman, so it might as well be the Adventures of Feminist Woman or
          > Amazon Angel, or Katie, the Super Sleuth.
          >
          > For the record, Cloris Leachman portrayed Hippolyta in Lynda Carter's
          > version. I recall very well Diana's removal of the wig and her
          > comments and Leachman's reaction. It was all very well done.
          >
          > Just a shame the show left the forties and that it chose to go a near
          > super-villian-less route like the fifties Superman.
          >
          > But while the Superman show is helped along by Noel Neill, Jack
          > Larson and Perry Whomever and its strained attempt to be intelligent
          > (The Breaking Statues Episode is a major league hokey one), there is
          > no one in Carter's WW who does this. Lyle Waggoner? Puh-lease.
          >
          > Whenever I watched Carter's WW, I just spend my time staring at that
          > golden eagle emblem.

          I remember when the show was moved to the present (which coincided with its move to CBS). It just seemed to me that it lost nearly all of its charm. In fact, while I could see getting the first season on DVD, I am not at all sure about the others.

          drakesix

          --
          Email with Attitude www.wickedmoon.com | Hosted by www.rydia.net
        • Richard J.
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 2, 2005
            An early WWII ep had Christine Belford (who looks alot like Diedre
            Hall of Days of Our Lives and Electra Woman & Dyna Girl) as a
            villianess and the two women had a catfight at the end, a la Joan
            Collins and Linda Evans on Dynasty.

            Rick Springfield and Melanie Chartoff appeared in a present day ep
            and they weren't lively.

            Debra Winger was Wonder Girl, no doubt a present day ep.

            But the worst for me was Tim Conners as an alien who did this inane
            whistle and Wonder Woman would mimick the whistle. They did this
            tweet way too much in this two parter.

            --- In thejusticesociety@yahoogroups.com, "Terry Canote"
            <drakesix@t...> wrote:
            I remember when the show was moved to the present (which coincided
            with its move to CBS). It just seemed to me that it lost nearly all
            of its charm. In fact, while I could see getting the first season on
            DVD, I am not at all sure about the others.
          • Andy E. Nystrom
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 6, 2005
              Right about her playing Wonder Girl (in this case aka Drusilla, not any
              comic book versions), wrong about the era. Debra Winger appeared midway in
              the first season in a 2-parter and then the final episode of that season
              (thus the final WW2 era story), but was gone in the two seasons set in the
              1970s.

              According to one DVD review site (discussing the new season 2 release) she
              was contracted to appear in the second season (the TV Amazons age slow, so
              Drusilla could still have been the equivalent of a teenager), but she bought
              out her contract to avoid this.

              Andy E. Nystrom
              wo991@...

              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 8, 2005
                I think she wore a costume a wee bit more loyal to her comic book
                look, didn't she? Wonder Girl, that is. The red outfit with yellow
                stars, no sleeves. I want to say her legs were bare, but I can't
                recall.

                --- In thejusticesociety@yahoogroups.com, "Andy E. Nystrom"