Re: [The Justice Society] Digest Number 661

  • Mike
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 2, 2004
      --- In thejusticesociety@yahoogroups.com, "Bev D. Keddy"
      <keddybd@g...> wrote:

      > (even his wife; man, that was
      > a great Dr. Fate series in the early 1990s by Loebs!)
      > Bev

      Agreed! Inza was a superb Dr Fate in a VERY under-rated sequence of
      that Dr Fate series. Her trip to Washington was one of my favourite
      comics of that decade.

      "M-Mrs Nelson...We were led to believe that since the Lord of Chaos
      was...banished, you once again needed your husband to become Doctor
      Fate..."

      "You were misinformed, senator."
    • earth1redbee
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 4, 2004
        Bev D. Keddy wrote:

        > I find JSA to be an extremely compelling book month
        > in and month out. I am in the process of selling
        > off about 98% of my books. Be assured that the 2% I
        > keep will include JSA.

        I agree with your assessment. The only stretch I was disappointed in
        was when Captain Marvel was featured so prominently--though I
        supported his addition to the JSA, I thought he ended up in the
        spotlight too much. Obviously, that's no longer an issue.

        > I hope Rex stays in the series for a long time to come. Rick?
        > He was created 20 years ago in an issue of Infinity Inc., and
        > I don't need him around.

        I would've agreed based on his portrayal in the Hourman monthly, but
        I think he's been handled well in the JSA, and I like having the son
        of a founding member around--most of the other legacy heroes on the
        roster at present aren't originals' offspring (and Hector tends to
        act too Fatey even with the helmet off). I'd be happy to see Rex AND
        Rick stay put, if the powers that be can pull that off plausibly.

        > Didn't realize that Hourman III would be involved in
        > any upcoming story arcs.

        I based my remark only on the small image of next issue's cover.

        >> By the way, I was glad to see Jakeem shown in a photo in the
        >> current issue; I was beginning to worry that he'd been
        >> retconned out of existence.

        > Why hasn't he been around lately?

        I don't know. I suppose it could be that he's considered not quite
        serious enough of a character for some of the more momentous story
        arcs, but one of my all-time favorite JSA scenes is Johnny
        Thunderbolt taking Mordru's verbal abuse and giving him a hug!

        Rich B.