JSA Swimsuit Parody Issue

  • Andy E. Nystrom
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 1, 2004
      DC has announced that they will come up with a parody of old swimsuit
      oriented comics like were done with Marvel characters and Elementals. To
      maximize the jokes, gags can relate to various eras of the characters. Gags
      will include Hawkman looking much the same in the swimsuit as in his regular
      costume, older members of the JSA looking a bit long in the tooth in their
      swimsuits, Ma Hunkel looking a bit embarassed to be posing in swimwear, and
      the Star Spangled Kid wearing a swimsuit and smiling while her braces were
      still on.

      As a one-shot deal this sounds like it could be cute.

      Andy E. Nystrom
      wo991@...

      ---
    • Mike
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 1, 2004
        --- In thejusticesociety@yahoogroups.com, "Andy E. Nystrom"
        <wo991@v...> wrote:
        > DC has announced that they will come up with a parody of old
        swimsuit
        > oriented comics like were done with Marvel characters and
        Elementals. To
        > maximize the jokes, gags can relate to various eras of the
        characters. Gags
        > will include Hawkman looking much the same in the swimsuit as in
        his regular
        > costume, older members of the JSA looking a bit long in the tooth
        in their
        > swimsuits, Ma Hunkel looking a bit embarassed to be posing in
        swimwear, and
        > the Star Spangled Kid wearing a swimsuit and smiling while her
        braces were
        > still on.
        >
        > As a one-shot deal this sounds like it could be cute.

        And that date again?
        > Andy E. Nystrom
        > wo991@v...
        >
        > ---
      • Richard J.
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 2, 2004
          I thought that Marvel swimsuit issue was about the most insulting
          thing to occur to comic book characters since the rewriting of
          history.

          How on Earth are characters supposed to be taken seriously as some
          sort of literary figures when they are posed and "looking coyly" in
          skimpy swimsuits?

          It was embarrassing. Would you want to think of Citizen Kane, Jane
          Eyre, the 3 Musketeers, Robin Hood, Sam Spade, Nick & Nora Charles,
          Lady MacBeth, Mercutio & Tybalt, the wife of Bath (okay, scratch that
          one), Sherlock Holmes, Miss Marple or numerous other characters and
          figures in such behavior?

          We're supposed to think of these guys having political convictions
          wihle they are stretched out on the beach?

          Plus many of the depictions seemed degrading and mentally insulting
          as well. Characters were included just to give them "exposure" (and
          it didn't work, obviously) and I got such a kick out of the
          observation that Steve Rogers was a poster boy for Hitler's aryan
          race, but I didn't need to read about his butt cheeks.