Gertrude Ederle Died Sunday

  • Richard J.
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 1, 2003
      Yes, that is correct, Gertrude Ederle died Sunday at the age of 98. I
      suppose her family and friends will miss her, but her place in
      history I would imagine is secure.

      What? Who is Gertrude Ederle, you ask? How could you not know who she
      was and what she did!?!?!

      Gertrude Ederle was the daring, extraordinary woman who was the first
      in her field. Who after her did what she did, I don't know, but ol'
      Gert was the first woman with her accomplishment, before Amelia
      Earhart would attempt her solo flight.

      Gertrude Ederle was the first woman. . . . to swim the English
      channel.

      In 1926. Well over a dozen years before Libby Lawrence, the
      ficticious character in the eighties All Star Squadron was supposed
      to have done her "heroic" swim. Having not a clue who may or may not
      have performed such a deed, I knew there had been attempts and I was
      sure there had been success, just didn't know when.
      But now I do.

      As much as Roy Thomas seemed to heed history, when he would do things
      such as make Libby Lawrence swimming the English channel (not to
      mention having it referred to endlessly in the All Star Squadron) and
      such as when Will Everett had to run alongside Jesse Owens, instead
      of being an average American who couldn't just be inspired to do
      better by Jesse Owens, they just didn't set well with me.

      Now anyone who paid the slightest bit of attention to Olympic history
      knew Jesse Owens stood alone with his triumph, but I do appreciate
      accurate information and the self-assurance on LIbby Lawrence, which
      seemed to deem her capable of nothing more than telling off male
      members of the All Star Squadron was always a tremendous turnoff for
      me. To be informed, Gertrude did it as a stunt, a dare if you will,
      while LIbby did it to escape the Nazis. It always sat as nothing more
      than grandstanding to me.
      Still, I enjoyed the forties heroes and still do.

      Hats off to ya, Gertrude Ederle. Ya did good, old girl.
    • Kurt Mitchell
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 6, 2003
        --- In thejusticesociety@yahoogroups.com, "Richard J."
        <lightoller_ch@y...> wrote:
        > As much as Roy Thomas seemed to heed history, when he would do
        things
        > such as make Libby Lawrence swimming the English channel (not to
        > mention having it referred to endlessly in the All Star Squadron)
        and
        > such as when Will Everett had to run alongside Jesse Owens, instead
        > of being an average American who couldn't just be inspired to do
        > better by Jesse Owens, they just didn't set well with me.

        In defense of Roy, Liberty Belle did her channel swim back in her
        first appearance in Boy Commandos #1, and neither the Golden Age
        story nor R.T.'s retellings claimed Libby did it first.

        Kurt
      • Richard J.
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 7, 2003
          Duly noted.
          With the numerous times it was mentioned that Belle did do it, since
          Roy would seek out actual history to be placed within All Stars, it
          wouldn't have hurt to drop Gert's name at least one of those times,
          as he did other things. I rather enjoyed the Normandie's depiction.
          Sometime when I am really bored, I should go through the AS-S books I
          have, which while not complete, is over two thirds, and count how
          often her "heroic" swim is referred to.

          --- In thejusticesociety@yahoogroups.com, "Kurt Mitchell"