Re: New file uploaded to thejusticesociety

  • Graeme Fitzgerald
    Message 1 of 22 , Jul 1, 2003
      hmmm... this is getting to be a full-time job! :P I know I can't stop
      this rubbish getting thru to members via email, but I've deleted the
      files from the Group site and banned the spammer from the Group... for
      what it's worth.

      It was kinda funny how he sent those 3 files thru right after Maven
      posted her latest work... I saw the first notice, from Maven, and
      assumed the other three were from her too (without checking the
      content!) oops!

      If anyone sees any more of this stuff coming thru, please feel free to
      send me a quick email alert, and I'll clean it from the site as soon
      as I can... that's probably more constructive than sending replies
      that the spammer most likely won't see.

      cheers,

      Graeme

      the silver-age spam-hunter! ;-)

      --- In thejusticesociety@yahoogroups.com, Timothy Moore <kmfl1@y...>
      wrote:

      > Who is this asshole who keeps sending porn through our mail system?
      Yo, cuzz, get a life! Go get a hooker if you're that hard up. I
      didn't join the JSA group so I could get off on neuds on my computer.

      > Here's a bit of advice. Get yourself a girl. The real thing beats
      all hell out of dirty pictures. If one more thing like that goes
      through, I'm gonna turn your sick ass into Yahoo so they can ban you.
      Watch your ass. This is your first and last warning.

    • Timothy Moore
      Message 2 of 22 , Jul 1, 2003
        Graeme...
        Sorry.  I didn't realize this guy was a "spammer".  Can't we just turn his address into Yahoo with the complaint he's feeding us this stuff?  He can't just do as he pleases, can he?  Thanks for removing that crap.

        wrote:

        > Who is this asshole who keeps sending porn through our mail system?
        Yo, cuzz, get a life!  Go get a hooker if you're that hard up.  I
        didn't join the JSA group so I could get off on neuds on my computer.

        > Here's a bit of advice.  Get yourself a girl.  The real thing beats
        all hell out of dirty pictures.  If one more thing like that goes
        through, I'm gonna turn your sick ass into Yahoo so they can ban you.
        Watch your ass.  This is your first and last warning.

        > thejusticesociety@yahoogroups.com wrote:

        Do you Yahoo!?
      • immortalwildcat
        Message 3 of 22 , Jul 1, 2003
          wrote:
          > Sorry. I didn't realize this guy was a "spammer". Can't we just
          > turn his address into Yahoo with the complaint he's feeding us
          > this stuff? He can't just do as he pleases, can he? Thanks for
          > removing that crap.

          These files and messages are uploaded by 'bot (robot) programs that
          sign up for a Yahoo address, join a group, upload the crap, and
          they're gone. Reporting it to Yahoo does no good because they can't
          track down the person behind the address.

          Yahoo could help the situation by adding a couple of features:

          1. Require a valid e-mail address when you sign up for a Yahoo mail
          account AND for a Yahoo group. In both cases, when a person joins,
          send an email to the address they have given, and require a reply
          before the account or group membership becomes active.

          2. When joining a group, display a random set of 4 graphics with
          numbers or letters in them, and require the user to type that
          sequence. With proper coding, a bot cannot determine what the
          content of the graphics are, so cannot read the sequence.

          Now, since none of us are executives or coders with Yahoo, those
          suggestions are likely still sitting in the same bit bucket they've
          gone to whenever someone has e-mailed them to Yahoo over the past 3
          years...

          What can be done is to change the Group settings so that all new
          members are on moderation: any messages they post must be approved
          by the group owners/moderators before it is seen by anybody else.
          This would also notify the modertators when these persons upload a
          file. I don't know if you can lock new members out of the ability
          to upload a file, but if it's possible, do it.

          da 'Cat!
        • Jake
          Message 4 of 22 , Jul 1, 2003
            Graeme,

            You might want to change the group settings to where new members are
            moderated, that may cut down on some of the problems.

            Jake

            Graeme Fitzgerald wrote:

            > hmmm... this is getting to be a full-time job! :P I know I can't stop
            > this rubbish getting thru to members via email, but I've deleted the
            > files from the Group site and banned the spammer from the Group... for
            > what it's worth.
            >

            > It was kinda funny how he sent those 3 files thru right after Maven
            > posted her latest work... I saw the first notice, from Maven, and
            > assumed the other three were from her too (without checking the
            > content!) oops!
            >

            > If anyone sees any more of this stuff coming thru, please feel free to
            > send me a quick email alert, and I'll clean it from the site as soon
            > as I can... that's probably more constructive than sending replies
            > that the spammer most likely won't see.
            >

            > cheers,
            >

            > Graeme
            >

            > the silver-age spam-hunter! ;-)

          • Sean
            Message 5 of 22 , Jul 1, 2003
              Well, Tim, if only it were that easy. Unfortunately,
              that is the same mindset that seems to be running
              around current legislative anti-spam efforts here in
              the US (and probably abroad as well). Unfortunately,
              it takes time/resources to track them down and no one
              is going to want to pay to do that. And even if you
              can trace them part way back to origin, chances are
              they covertly used somene else's mail server or one
              offshore at somepoint.

              Sean

              Ob JSA: Are the T-spheres susceptible to virii?

              http://sbc.yahoo.com
            • leoni2@juno.com
              Message 6 of 22 , Jan 27, 2005
                > File : /JSA Continuations G.doc
                Uploaded by : neunerdude <neunerdude@...>
                Description : What if the JSA hadn't disbanded
                in 1951? A work in progress; comments and
                suggestions welcome.

                Been reading the story. I'd only gotten to
                Chapter 18, but its looking good so far. A
                nice combination of the old Earth 1 and 2
                continuity, as well as a good look at actual
                history.

                Stanley

                Now includes pop-up blocker!
              • Stanley L. Alston, Jr.
                Message 7 of 22 , Jan 27, 2005
                  Just finished reading the rest
                  of the story that you'd written.
                  I can't wait to see the rest of
                  it.

                  Stanley
                • David McMahon
                  Message 8 of 22 , Jan 27, 2005
                    Great story but I wonder what a world would be like where the "main" members
                    of the JSA retired anyway? All their titles had been cancelled by then,
                    except Wonder Woman's and they weren't appearing anywhere else. So what if
                    those characters did retire and more active heroes stepped up to the role?

                    I am specifically thinking of: Wonder Woman, Batman & Robin, Superman, Green
                    Arrow, Shining Knight, Johnny Quick, Aquaman, Vigilante and Captain Comet.
                    All those heroes were still appearing in comics until at least 1954. What
                    if they had formed the new JSA with the retirement of the others?

                    David McMahon
                    dmcmahon@...
                    Character is doing the right thing when nobody is looking or nobody cares
                    but you!
                    Message 9 of 22 , Jan 28, 2005
                      --- In thejusticesociety@yahoogroups.com, "David McMahon"
                      <dmcmahon@n...> wrote:
                      > Great story but I wonder what a world would be like where
                      the "main" members of the JSA retired anyway? All their titles had
                      been cancelled by then, except Wonder Woman's and they weren't
                      appearing anywhere else. So what if those characters did retire and
                      more active heroes stepped up to the role?

                      > I am specifically thinking of: Wonder Woman, Batman & Robin,
                      Superman, Green Arrow, Shining Knight, Johnny Quick, Aquaman,
                      Vigilante and Captain Comet. All those heroes were still appearing in
                      comics until at least 1954. What if they had formed the new JSA with
                      the retirement of the others? <

                      David,

                      That's the JSA story that's waiting for *you* to write it!

                      -- Allen

                      ps. Zatara the Magician's last story appeared in either late 1950 or
                      early 1951. And if you're including Robin, don't forget Speedy!
                    • David McMahon
                      Message 10 of 22 , Jan 28, 2005
                        You know, I had forgotten Speedy! Shame on me. :-)

                        I'm actually thinking of setting up a PBEM game based on the premise I just
                        gave. Call it JSA-1953 or something like that. ;-)

                      • KLub615@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 22 , Jan 28, 2005
                          Yes instead of the JLA forming a new JSA forms.
                        • Allen Neuner
                          Message 12 of 22 , Jan 28, 2005
                            <dmcmahon@n...> wrote:
                            > I'm actually thinking of setting up a PBEM game based on the
                            premise I just gave. Call it JSA-1953 or something like that. ;-) <

                            OK, that got my list-making juices flowing...

                            In 1951, when the JSA disbanded, the only DC heroes who were still
                            being published were: Aquaman; Batman; Green Arrow; Johnny Quick;
                            Robotman; the Shining Knight; Superman; the Vigilante; and Wonder
                            Woman. Captain Comet appeared about three months after the last
                            appearance of the JSA.

                            1954: The Martian Manhunter appears.

                            1956: The Flash (Barry Allen) appears. Plastic Man, who is still
                            being published at the time, becomes part of the DC universe when DC
                            buys the assets of Quality Comics (along with the Blackhawks).

                            1959: Green Lantern (Hal Jordan) and Supergirl appear.

                            1960: The Elongated Man appears.

                            1961: The Atom (Ray Palmer), Hawkman (Katar Hol), and
                            Hawkgirl/Hawkwoman (Shayera Thal Hol) appear.

                            1963: Elasti-Girl, Negative Man, and Robotman (Cliff Steele) appear.

                            1964: Metamorpho and Zatanna appear.

                            1965: Animal Man appears.

                            1966: The Enchantress appears.

                            1967: Batgirl appears.

                            1968: The Creeper and the Red Tornado (John Smith) appear.

                            -- Allen
                          • Allen Neuner
                            Message 13 of 22 , Jan 28, 2005
                              And if the first list wasn't enough... ;-)

                              1951: The Shining Knight makes his last appearance.

                              1953: Robotman (Robert Crane) makes his last appearance.

                              1954: Captain Comet, Johnny Quick, and the Vigilante make their last
                              appearances.

                              -- Allen
                            • keif simon
                              Message 14 of 22 , Jan 28, 2005
                                is the first robaot man still alive?i remeber the back
                                of a dc comics presents whatever hap[pend to? he had
                                his brain transferreed into his friend..or maybe that
                                didn't happen after crisis..
                                --- Allen Neuner <neunerdude@...> wrote:

                                > And if the first list wasn't enough... ;-)
                                >
                                > 1951: The Shining Knight makes his last appearance.
                                >
                                > 1953: Robotman (Robert Crane) makes his last
                                > appearance.
                                >
                                > 1954: Captain Comet, Johnny Quick, and the
                                > Vigilante make their last
                                > appearances.
                                >
                                > -- Allen

                                http://my.yahoo.com
                              • immortalwildcat
                                Message 15 of 22 , Jan 29, 2005
                                  --- In thejusticesociety@yahoogroups.com, "Allen Neuner"
                                  <neunerdude@c...> wrote:

                                  > 1954: Captain Comet, Johnny Quick, and the Vigilante make their
                                  > last appearances.

                                  Is that right? Did Captain Comet last only 3 years in the comics?
                                  I assume that, after this, he was not used again until the Secret
                                  Society of Supervillains, correct?

                                  da 'Cat!
                                • David McMahon

                                    >> 1954: Captain Comet, Johnny Quick, and the Vigilante make their
                                    >> last appearances.
                                    >>
                                    > Is that right? Did Captain Comet last only 3 years in the comics?
                                    > I assume that, after this, he was not used again until the Secret
                                    > Society of Supervillains, correct?
                                    >

                                    > da 'Cat!
                                    >

                                    > Yahoo! Groups Links

                                  • Kristofer Theilen
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Jan 31, 2005
                                      Last reference I saw, Robert Crane's brain is still
                                      alive in the body of Chuck Grayson. He has been all
                                      but ignored for at least a decade.

                                      I wouldn't mind seeing a return of the original
                                      Robotman someday, though. I don't really care for the
                                      Cliff Steele/Doom Patrol version.

                                      --- keif simon <keifsimon@...> wrote:

                                      > is the first robaot man still alive?i remeber the
                                      > back
                                      > of a dc comics presents whatever hap[pend to? he had
                                      > his brain transferreed into his friend..or maybe
                                      > that
                                      > didn't happen after crisis..
                                      > --- Allen Neuner <neunerdude@...> wrote:
                                      >

                                      > > And if the first list wasn't enough... ;-)
                                      > >
                                      > > 1951: The Shining Knight makes his last
                                      > appearance.
                                      > >
                                      > > 1953: Robotman (Robert Crane) makes his last
                                      > > appearance.
                                      > >
                                      > > 1954: Captain Comet, Johnny Quick, and the
                                      > > Vigilante make their last
                                      > > appearances.
                                      > >
                                      > > -- Allen

                                      > http://my.yahoo.com

                                      http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
                                    • Eric Northcutt
                                      Message 18 of 22 , Jan 31, 2005
                                        Kristofer Theilen wrote:

                                        >>is the first robaot man still alive?i remeber the
                                        >>back
                                        >>of a dc comics presents whatever hap[pend to? he had
                                        >>his brain transferreed into his friend..or maybe
                                        >>that
                                        >>didn't happen after crisis..

                                        >Last reference I saw, Robert Crane's brain is still
                                        >alive in the body of Chuck Grayson. He has been all
                                        >but ignored for at least a decade.

                                        Actually, it hasn't been ignored for at least a decade. Bob Crane appeared
                                        (in Chuck Grayson's body) in Stars & S.T.R.I.P.E. #8. Turns out Pat Dugan
                                        used the old parts of his Robotman body to build S.T.R.I.P.E. Bob Crane is
                                        teaching robotiics at Ivy University (Yes, Ray Palmer helped him get the
                                        job).

                                        Eric Northcutt
                                      • David McMahon

                                          > Last reference I saw, Robert Crane's brain is still
                                          > alive in the body of Chuck Grayson. He has been all
                                          > but ignored for at least a decade.
                                          >
                                          > I wouldn't mind seeing a return of the original
                                          > Robotman someday, though. I don't really care for the
                                          > Cliff Steele/Doom Patrol version.
                                          >
                                          > --- keif simon <keifsimon@...> wrote:
                                          >
                                          >> is the first robaot man still alive?i remeber the
                                          >> back
                                          >> of a dc comics presents whatever hap[pend to? he had
                                          >> his brain transferreed into his friend..or maybe
                                          >> that
                                          >> didn't happen after crisis..
                                          >> --- Allen Neuner <neunerdude@...> wrote:
                                          >>

                                          >> > And if the first list wasn't enough... ;-)
                                          >> >
                                          >> > 1951: The Shining Knight makes his last
                                          >> appearance.
                                          >> >
                                          >> > 1953: Robotman (Robert Crane) makes his last
                                          >> > appearance.
                                          >> >
                                          >> > 1954: Captain Comet, Johnny Quick, and the
                                          >> > Vigilante make their last
                                          >> > appearances.
                                          >> >
                                          >> > -- Allen

                                          >> Meet the all-new My Yahoo! - Try it today!
                                          >> http://my.yahoo.com

                                          > http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
                                          >

                                          > Yahoo! Groups Links

                                        • Kristofer Theilen
                                          Message 20 of 22 , Feb 1, 2005
                                            That's cool. I may have to go buy the S&S back issues
                                            due to all of the golden age references in them.

                                            I just wish they would bring back the Danette Reilly
                                            Firebrand...

                                            Message 21 of 22 , Feb 2, 2005
                                              --- In thejusticesociety@yahoogroups.com, Kristofer Theilen
                                              <mavrck31@y...> wrote:

                                              > I just wish they would bring back the Danette Reilly Firebrand... <

                                              Not unless they bring her back from the dead. In S&S it's revealed
                                              that she was killed by the Dragon King years ago.

                                              And now, a "didja know?" item: One of the Quality characters DC
                                              owned the rights to was Wildfire, a young woman who could control
                                              fire and flames. The story I've heard is that when All-Star Squadron
                                              was being formed they were thinking of giving Danette Reilly the code
                                              name "Wildfire", but the DC brass thought there might be too much
                                              confusion with the same-named member of the Legion of Super-Heroes.
                                              So they looked around, found the Quality character Firebrand, decided
                                              to use the name because of the word "fire", and made Danette the
                                              sister of the original Firebrand, Rod Reilly. (By the way, movie
                                              buffs, "Rod Reilly" is the name of the detective character played by
                                              Fred Astaire in the "Girl Hunt" ballet in "The Band Wagon".)

                                              -- Allen, almost way-too-old for this stuff