Re: My Two Cents...

  • ladyobie33
    Message 1 of 18 , Oct 1, 2002
      Personally I think DC is going way overboard with their usage of KC
      stuff.

      It was an Elseworlds story set in a possible future, not something
      meant to be DC verbatim.

      It was a pretty good story too but DC's constant leaning on it is
      lame.

      Using one or 2 concepts from it would've been fine. Constantly
      plundering from it sucks.

      Doesn't DC have or can't it get writers with enough imagination to
      come up with viable new ideas so that it doesn't have to keep making
      itself look bad by reusing & rehashing concepts that are best left
      where they originated?

      --- In thejusticesociety@y..., alann3_16 <no_reply@y...> wrote:
      > Is it just me or are TPTB at DC trying to make the Kingdom Come
      > continuity slowly permeate into current DC continuity in one form
      of
      > another? Are they still annoyed that a lot of fans (as well as
      Geoff
      > Johns, amongst others) still enjoy the "old-school" stuff? And is
      > there any reasoning to their seemingly utter hatred for all things
      > Infinity, Inc.?
      >
      > I know we've discussed these ages ago at the old Yee-Haw! Clubs and
      > whatnot, but it is still a valid point to discuss. Just look at the
      > latest issue of JSA. Without spoiling the plot for those of you who
      > have yet to read it, it seems likely. This is not to say that Geoff
      > and the rest of the creative team are not handling it the right
      way.
      > The past few issues have been great, better than ever IMHO. Any
      > opinions, guys and gals?
      >
      > Personally, though, I can't wait to see where it takes us, story-
      > wise, that is. Kudos to the creative team, anyways.
      >
      > Later,
      > Alann 3:16
    • jfglade
      Message 2 of 18 , Oct 1, 2002
        --- In thejusticesociety@y..., ladyobie33 <no_reply@y...> wrote:
        > Personally I think DC is going way overboard with their usage of KC
        > stuff.
        >
        > It was an Elseworlds story set in a possible future, not something
        > meant to be DC verbatim.
        >
        > It was a pretty good story too but DC's constant leaning on it is
        > lame.
        >
        > Using one or 2 concepts from it would've been fine. Constantly
        > plundering from it sucks.
        >
        > Doesn't DC have or can't it get writers with enough imagination to
        > come up with viable new ideas so that it doesn't have to keep
        making
        > itself look bad by reusing & rehashing concepts that are best left
        > where they originated?

        Don't automatically blame the freelance writers who work on a work
        for hire basis at DC, Lady; they don't control editorial decisions,
        especially at higher levels, It is possible that some of those folks
        are lazy and might recycle characters and concepts from 'Kingdom
        Come' but editors could always reject scripts if they didn't think
        those KC-derived stories wouldn't sell. I suspect that DC has no
        shortage of would-be writers, some of whom just might have viable new
        ideas, but why bother going through an apprentice period with them
        when current work-for-hire writers apparently still want to work for
        DC (not all of them can sign exclusive contracts with Marvel or
        Crossgen) and apparently aren't adverse to following trends that
        Editorial must have some confidence in? I think the primary purpose
        of DC is to sell liscenses to those who want to make merchandise or
        offer other medium interpretations of DC characters, but selling
        comics would still be important too. Pleasing a handful of long-term
        fans probably isn't much of a priority. Business is business.

        Sad but true,
        Jon
      • sonofvulcan
        Message 3 of 18 , Oct 1, 2002
          I agree that when it was first conceived Kingdom Come was indeed just
          one more (admittedly an exceedingly good one) Elseworlds project. But
          the overwhelming success of that project is of course going to
          inspire additional attempts to mine that material. The advent of
          Hypertime which grew from the Kingdom followup series is the window
          that not only allows all things KC to flow into the main DC Universe,
          but also frees up many pre-Crisis concepts as well.

          I don't mind Kingdom Come stuff making its way into the main DCU, but
          the irony that this other Earth/Time creation having become so
          successful, points up the inherent absurdity of the original need for
          Crisis. If you wanted to do Crisis fine, but why they have to trot
          out the tired and totally unproven simplify-things-for-the-novice-fan
          motivation is beyond me. It made no sense then, it makes no sense now
          given a DCU filled with dopplegangers of various stripes. I maintain
          superhero comics fans like complications and alternate universes (a
          tried-and-true sci-fi concept) is one of the neatest complcations of
          all.

          Dean