Re: [The Justice Society] Worlds' Finest - Huntress and Power Girl

  • Esteban Pedreros
    Message 1 of 23 , Apr 15 2:22 PM
      2013/4/15 <mavrck31@...>

      I will rephrase:  I am patiently saving my money for a return to the classic DCU where the JSA existed during WWII and the characters we golden age fan know and love get some respect again.

      I am also looking forward to getting my hands on the all star squadron trade collection....  Has that been printed yet?

      Sent from my iPhone

      A year ago, but it's a Showcase Edition in  B&W.
      "Originally published in single magazine form in Justice League of America 193, All-Star Squadron 1-18."

      http://www.bookdepository.com/Showcase-Presents-All-Star-Squadron-Vol-01-Gerry-Conway/9781401234362
      http://www.amazon.com/Showcase-Presents-All-Star-Squadron-Vol/dp/1401234364/

      Esteban - "My plan is sheer elegance in its simplicity".
      --
      Comic Verso - http://www.comicverso.org
      Ocio Crónico - http://ociocronico.blogspot.com
      Message 2 of 23 , Apr 15 2:35 PM
        I would probably buy books like that as well. For now though I buy Archives and the showcase reprints only

        I will rephrase:  I am patiently saving my money for a return to the classic DCU where the JSA existed during WWII and the characters we golden age fan know and love get some respect again.

        I am also looking forward to getting my hands on the all star squadron trade collection....  Has that been printed yet?
        Sent from my iPhone
        On Apr 15, 2013, at 3:59 PM, Esteban Pedreros <wallyoeste@...> wrote:

        Hey guys... don't chime in to say how much you hate stuff. It kind of kills the conversation.
        Esteban - "My plan is sheer elegance in its simplicity". -- Comic Verso - http://www.comicverso.org Ocio Crónico - http://ociocronico.blogspot.com Sinapsis Literaria - http://tlitab.blogspot.com
      • mavrck31

          Message 4 of 23 , Apr 15 4:30 PM
              I thought JSA The Liberty Files: The Whistling Skull was going to be something like that. Besides a cameo of some JSA members in one of the issues, I got what I consider inferior art, 2 main characters that I hope never to see again and no JSA.

            Message 5 of 23 , Apr 15 5:12 PM
              While I, too, would prefer to see the original Justice Society of America (with maybe the last couple of years of the pre-Flashpoint version also erased from continuity), I also try to look at the new Earth 2 and Worlds' Finest as a different take on an idea instead of as just an inferior replacement.

              As I said in the original post, the Worlds' Finest pairing at least sometimes seems to me as if it's a bit old-school, but in a good way.

              As for their costumes, Helena's isn't bad in terms of it making sense to cover / protect more of her body, but the mask/headpiece isn't anything I like. And it seems as if Power Girl may be going back to something more like her original outfit.

              --- In thejusticesociety@yahoogroups.com, mavrck31@... wrote:

              I refuse to buy anything in the DCnU line. I'm waiting for them to undo this Flashpoint spin-off and go back to the real DC.
            • mavrck31
              Message 6 of 23 , Apr 15 5:57 PM
                I agree. I stopped buying it after 2 issues.  Tony Harris's art wasn't enough for me to continue buying it.

                Sent from my iPhone

                  Message 8 of 23 , Apr 15 6:14 PM
                    Well, I am enjoying World's Finest, I know it is not the old Earth 2 heroes but I like these versions of Helena and Karen. Plus I am a big fan of Perez and Macguire who are both (at this time) on the book. I also like Earth 2 though it is taking some time to warm up to Nicola Scott's pencils.

                    Steviemort45

                    From: mavrck31@...
                    Sender: thejusticesociety@yahoogroups.com
                    Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2013 19:58:40 -0500
                    To: thejusticesociety@yahoogroups.com<thejusticesociety@yahoogroups.com>
                    ReplyTo: thejusticesociety@yahoogroups.com
                    Subject: Re: [The Justice Society] Re: Worlds' Finest - Huntress and Power Girl

                    Message 9 of 23 , Apr 15 6:31 PM
                      2013/4/15 <mavrck31@...>

                      I agree. I stopped buying it after 2 issues.  Tony Harris's art wasn't enough for me to continue buying it.

                      That's a weird project. I haven't read it but I would imagine that the JSA was added as an afterthought. Back when Wildstorm was still alive, Tony Harris and B. Clay Moore launched this project (The Whistling Skull), as a creator-owned book, that had no relation with the JSA. If you look for old interviews of Tony Harris he mentions the Whistling Skull as far back as 2010 (maybe more).

                      Since that imprint doesn't exists anymore (Wildstorm), it seems that they had to find a way to publish it throught DC and had to compromise to find a way to make it commercially atractive for whoever it was that thought that they couldn't sell the book, and they decided to make it part of the same universe of those old prestige miniseries by Harris and Dan Jolley (I think they were published back in 2001 or so). So... it doesn't really surprise me that it isn't all that good, but I can't say I'm not dissapointed.

                      Since now DC is obsessed with the number "52", one of the gimmicks they included in the book was saying that the 3-man units of secret agents like the one formed by The Bat, The Clock and the Owl, were just one of 52 different units, and that the Whistling Skull was part of another one of those. Seems like a waste of effort to try and make a completely different story part of an old elseworlds that very few people remember, just to try to justify its publication.

                        Message 11 of 23 , Apr 15 11:18 PM
                          I collect BOTH World's Finest and JSA: Whistling Skull.

                          I enjoy BOTH of them, among my favorite titles.

                          SURE, in this upside down throw up DCnu52 universe everything is suck.

                          BUT, good storytelling is good storytelling.

                          Paul Levitz is kicking ass on WF, and TWO of my favorite artists….outstanding….
                          The Death of Robin crossover was set up nicely earlier on and paid off very toughingly.

                          JSA:WS is a little slower to warm up to, perhaps better when it is collected….the artwork
                          takes some getting used to, a little rounder? than Harris's earlier work?  A little hard to figure
                          out whom is whom in flashbacks at first but that's okay.

                          B. Clay Moore is doing a great job of giving us the "leftover" unpowered JSA members who are not appearing in Earth-2 (yet?)

                          SURE maybe they are shoehorned in, but there is a layered story being told, and I am enjoying seeing JSA in one form or another.

                          Even IF "regular" DC comes back, things will still still need to be kind of tweaked.  We have TWO JSA titles a month, be happy.

                          The way I see it - EARTH 2 series are the stories of the new JSA forming in a post Apokolypian invasion, after what remained of the
                          original (?) JSA  (the big three) gave their lives to defeat Darkseid…

                          After The Flash was able to "fix" things and reported to Batman (giving him the letter from Thomas Wayne that is still on display in the Batcave)
                          this is the universe we've got:

                          Earth 1 and 2 have not met…and heroes only recently have appeared…Reverse Flash had done so much damage to the timeline(s) that this is the best
                          organic result that DC could deliver….now for storytelling….MUCH could be improved…..for clarity and continuity…STORMWATCH for instance…in issue 18
                          has REBOOTED….

                          also…if Darksied invasion caused JLA to unite 5 (now 6?) years ago, when was the EARTH2 invasion?  A little bit before then?  (PG and Huntress have been on earth 1 for 5 years)
                          Also, has anyone called Earth2 Earth2 yet?

                          Frank "likey" D'U!

                          Please tell us more about earlier Whistling Skull and whatever other earlier works that inform the JSA:WS series?  What prestige series are you talking about?  What else world?

                        • Esteban Pedreros
                          Message 12 of 23 , Apr 15 11:40 PM
                            2013/4/16 <fdurso@...>

                            Please tell us more about earlier Whistling Skull and whatever other earlier works that inform the JSA:WS series?  What prestige series are you talking about?  What else world?

                            JSA: Liberty File and JSA: The Unholy Three
                            And here's an interview with harris about the WS back in 2010
                            http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=25838

                            Esteban - "My plan is sheer elegance in its simplicity".
                            --
                            Comic Verso - http://www.comicverso.org
                            Ocio Crónico - http://ociocronico.blogspot.com
                            Sinapsis Literaria - http://tlitab.blogspot.com
                          • Michael Norwitz
                            Message 13 of 23 , Apr 16 5:27 PM
                              I actually quite liked the original Liberty Files series, although in
                              both storylines the endings let me down.

                              I was looking forward to Whistling Skull, but they have made it broad
                              and campy without actually being funny, so it's rather tiresome.

                              I live in hope the JSA will actually appear in a meaningful way rather
                              than a bunch of cameos; if they do not, this arc will seem like a
                              massive cheat and I will dispose of my copies.
                            • Esteban Pedreros
                              Message 14 of 23 , Apr 16 5:52 PM
                                2013/4/16 Michael Norwitz <michael@...>
                                I actually quite liked the original Liberty Files series, although in
                                both storylines the endings let me down.

                                I liked Liberty Files better than Unholy Three, but it was a good book. I bought it by mistake (I wanted a Secret Files when I was hunting down JSA backissues), and I didn't regret it

                                I live in hope the JSA will actually appear in a meaningful way rather
                                than a bunch of cameos; if they do not, this arc will seem like a
                                massive cheat and I will dispose of my copies.

                                Seems like none of you read the news or the interviews before buying the books. What do you mean by "dispose"?

                                Message 15 of 23 , Apr 18 7:44 PM
                                  Seems like none of you read the news or the interviews before buying the books.

                                  I did, but I hoped it might be rewritten to give the JSA a more prominent role.

                                  > What do you mean by "dispose"?

                                  I will probably give them away.
                                • mavrck31
                                  Message 16 of 23 , Apr 18 9:26 PM
                                    The preview I read said the Cat, the Clock and the Owl would be joined by the Whistling Skull behind enemy lines.

                                    Didn't realize that meant they would be second stringers in a JSA book.  So yeah, I was a little miffed.  I kept trying to figure out which Golden Ager the Whistling Skull was.  Maybe the Whistler or Mr. Elixir or even the Spectre.

                                    Sent from my iPhone