Re: The New 52: World's Finest

  • jfglade
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 5, 2012
      --- In thejusticesociety@yahoogroups.com, immortalwildcat <no_reply@...> wrote:

      > Levitz did let one clue slip in this interview that I found interesting: on the "new" Earth 2, Bruce Wayne and Selina Kyle Wayne are apparently still alive.
      >
      > Now, this will require a re-working of the Huntress' origin, as she became the Huntress as a result of her mother's death. But maybe, just maybe, Paul Levitz is hoping to make amends for his shoddy treatment of the Earth 2 Bruce Wayne in the 70's-80's. (Selina dies during his fight with her blackmailer, he's taken over by the Psycho Pirate, he dies fighting a no-name loser, and he's shown to be mentally ill in America vs the JSA).
      >
      > One can hope, at least.
      >
      > da 'Cat!

      I used to buy Wonder Woman when the Huntress strip was the back-up feature, although I never bought it before or after, except for the few issues Trina Robbins did in the eighties. I'd rather like to see the Huntress returned even if it would be in regular partnerings with Power Girl who I never really appreciated. I've got mixed feelings about a revised origin, however.

      I generally like Levitz's work but he did do the original Batman dirt, and it might be interesting to see him try to make amends.
    • Esteban Pedreros
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 5, 2012
        I think 'cat that you are mixing it up a little bit too much.

        As we all know, after Crisis Helena Wayne received a new background as Helena Bertinelli, with no association with Batman and Catwoman from Earth 2. The character shouldn't have appeared anymore, but just like Powergirl, she was integrated into the new unified Earth.

        When Geoff Johns wrote Infinite Crisis, his answer for Power Girl contradicting storylines was something like this: Her true origin is her pre-Crisis origin, but she was an actual survivor from Earth 2, so her past got rewritten (as in a Cosmic Natural Adjustment, not because of the work of a writer), to fit into the new reality.

        I can't say for sure what Levitz is planing, but I guess it would make sense to follow Johns's lead, instead of trying to come up with an entirely new explanation that would contradict that one (which isn't particularly brilliant, and your readiness to accept it will depend solely on how much you want the character back). However, remember that they relaunched everything so they might as well come up with different reasons for the characters to inhabit Earth 1 (or new Earth, or Flashpoint Earth, whatever the new reality is called), and receiving new background, or to think that they are from earth 1, when they actually are from Earth 2, is within the realm of the possibilities available to the writer.

        My attitude towards this is trying to forget about it... wait and see. I'm not thrilled about Levitz writing anything anymore, and I really have no expectations for this World's Finest tittle, and I think that neither should you, is better that way so one can avoid disappointments. My impression is that everything is fair game now, so it could be that on Earth 2 Catwoman is dead, or could be that she is still alive.

        I think that when in the interview Levitz talks about Batman and Catwoman, he is talking about Earth 1's Batman and Catwoman, and how they would react to the fact that alternate versions of them had a daughter, not about how Batman and Catwoman from Earth 2 would react to the same news.

        Esteban - "My plan is sheer elegance in its simplicity".
        --
        Comic Verso - http://cverso.blogspot.com
        Ocio Crónico - http://ociocronico.blogspot.com

        2012/2/5 jfglade <jfglade@...>

        --- In thejusticesociety@yahoogroups.com, immortalwildcat <no_reply@...> wrote:

        > Levitz did let one clue slip in this interview that I found interesting:  on the "new" Earth 2, Bruce Wayne and Selina Kyle Wayne are apparently still alive.
        >
        > Now, this will require a re-working of the Huntress' origin, as she became the Huntress as a result of her mother's death.  But maybe, just maybe, Paul Levitz is hoping to make amends for his shoddy treatment of the Earth 2 Bruce Wayne in the 70's-80's.  (Selina dies during his fight with her blackmailer, he's taken over by the Psycho Pirate, he dies fighting a no-name loser, and he's shown to be mentally ill in America vs the JSA).
        >
        > One can hope, at least.
        >
        > da 'Cat!

         I used to buy Wonder Woman when the Huntress strip was the back-up feature, although I never bought it before or after, except for the few issues Trina Robbins did in the eighties. I'd rather like to see the Huntress returned even if it would be in regular partnerings with Power Girl who I never really appreciated. I've got mixed feelings about a revised origin, however.

         I generally like Levitz's work but he did do the original Batman dirt, and it might be interesting to see him try to make amends.

        <*> Your email settings:
           Individual Email | Traditional

        <*> To change settings online go to:
           (Yahoo! ID required)

        <*> To change settings via email:
           thejusticesociety-digest@yahoogroups.com
           thejusticesociety-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

           http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        --

      • mavrck31@yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 5, 2012
          I re-read that interview and I think people are reading too much into it.

          From: "jfglade" <jfglade@...>
          Sender: thejusticesociety@yahoogroups.com
          Date: Sun, 05 Feb 2012 17:48:21 -0000
          To: <thejusticesociety@yahoogroups.com>
          ReplyTo: thejusticesociety@yahoogroups.com
          Subject: [The Justice Society] Re: The New 52: World's Finest

          --- In thejusticesociety@yahoogroups.com, immortalwildcat <no_reply@...> wrote:

          > Levitz did let one clue slip in this interview that I found interesting: on the "new" Earth 2, Bruce Wayne and Selina Kyle Wayne are apparently still alive.
          >
          > Now, this will require a re-working of the Huntress' origin, as she became the Huntress as a result of her mother's death. But maybe, just maybe, Paul Levitz is hoping to make amends for his shoddy treatment of the Earth 2 Bruce Wayne in the 70's-80's. (Selina dies during his fight with her blackmailer, he's taken over by the Psycho Pirate, he dies fighting a no-name loser, and he's shown to be mentally ill in America vs the JSA).
          >
          > One can hope, at least.
          >
          > da 'Cat!

          I used to buy Wonder Woman when the Huntress strip was the back-up feature, although I never bought it before or after, except for the few issues Trina Robbins did in the eighties. I'd rather like to see the Huntress returned even if it would be in regular partnerings with Power Girl who I never really appreciated. I've got mixed feelings about a revised origin, however.

          I generally like Levitz's work but he did do the original Batman dirt, and it might be interesting to see him try to make amends.

        • immortalwildcat
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 6, 2012
            I think there is a difference between Power GIrl and Huntress in terms of their transition from pre-Crisis to post-Crisis continuity. Power Girl never ceased to exist when the universe was re-created. She was an anomaly, and it took DC more than 20 years to figure out what the heck she actually was.

            The Huntress was wiped from history and memory. As of the end of the crisis, there had not been a cross-bow wielding heroine named the Huntress. The Helena Bertinelli Huntress was a new character that used elements of a character who had never existed in the DC continuity. A clean break.

            Both approaches had their positive and negative points.

            Now, we have a new universe. Whether a heroine named Huntress has ever appeared since the start of this universe's age of superheroes is unclear. What I picking up from the buzz is that one has appeard, but may actually be a traveller from the new Earth 2 universe. Likewise with Power Girl, though Karen Starr has appeared in the Mr. Terrific book. But not as Power Girl.

            I interpreted Levitz's comment to mean that Helena Waynes parents would be surprised to find that their daughter was the Huntress. But I could definitely be mistaken.

            da 'Cat!