Re: Who is Driving the Batmobile?

  • jfglade
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 1, 2010
      Could be. I haven't been following any of the Batman titles since... must have been the late eighties. I understand that Batman is now both dead and trapped in the past, which makes me think I've either missed one heck of an especially convolunted "special" event or part of a summary of current stupid developments in the DC Universe contained an error.

      Who is driving the Batmobile these days?

    • mavrck31@yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 1, 2010
        Dick Grayson is Batman and Damien Wayne (son of Talia Al'Ghul and Bruce Wayne) is Robin.

        Tim Drake is Red Robin. Stephanie Brown (Spoiler, Robin in 05) is Batgirl, Kate Kane is Batwoman, and the revived Jason Todd (blame Judd Winnick) is the Red Hood.

        What you missed was "52". Batman was apparently hit by Darkseid's omega beams.

        At least this is true as of the last time I checked...

        I could have some bits wrong...

        Please correct/add to it y'all.

        From: "jfglade" <jfglade@...>
        Sender: thejusticesociety@yahoogroups.com
        Date: Wed, 01 Sep 2010 14:42:24 -0000
        To: <thejusticesociety@yahoogroups.com>
        ReplyTo: thejusticesociety@yahoogroups.com
        Subject: [The Justice Society] Re: Who is Driving the Batmobile?

        Could be. I haven't been following any of the Batman titles since... must have been the late eighties. I understand that Batman is now both dead and trapped in the past, which makes me think I've either missed one heck of an especially convolunted "special" event or part of a summary of current stupid developments in the DC Universe contained an error.

        Who is driving the Batmobile these days?

        --- In thejusticesociety@yahoogroups.com, Barry Walker <bengrimmatbaxterbuilding@...> wrote:

        >  I wonder if one of these is on the Batmobile?

      • Darci
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 1, 2010
          The only thing I would add is what you missed (I use the word very loosely) was "Final Crisis" not "52".   The same writer, Grant Morrison, produced both the Batman R.I.P. story arc in Batman 676-681 and the Final Crisis miniseries.  IMO, they were both monuments to stupidity.  In Batman R.I.P. we were led to believe Batman disappeared in a helicopter crash.  In Final Crisis, Darkseid's Omega Beam sent him into the past.  He's slowly working his way back to the present.
          Hope this helps,
          Darci

          From: "jfglade" <jfglade@...>
          Sender: thejusticesociety@yahoogroups.com
          Date: Wed, 01 Sep 2010 14:42:24 -0000
          To: <thejusticesociety@yahoogroups.com>
          ReplyTo: thejusticesociety@yahoogroups.com

          Could be. I haven't been following any of the Batman titles since... must have been the late eighties. I understand that Batman is now both dead and trapped in the past, which makes me think I've either missed one heck of an especially convolunted "special" event or part of a summary of current stupid developments in the DC Universe contained an error.

          Who is driving the Batmobile these days?

          --- In thejusticesociety@yahoogroups.com, Barry Walker <bengrimmatbaxterbuilding@...> wrote:

          >  I wonder if one of these is on the Batmobile?

        • Wallyoeste
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 1, 2010
            Well... that summary makes it sound more stupid than it actually is.

            After facing the ultimate villain, called "Doctor hurt", and scientist that experimented on Batman many years ago, and who attacked him mentally and physically sending lots of villains his way, and a false new lover. Batman won and then went on to investigate the death of Orion in Fina Crisis, he was captured by one of the evil new gods, and submitted to intense torture and experiments by Mokkari and Simean in one of Darkseid's dungeons in Blüdhaven.
            He was finally able to use one of the clones that they both made of him to fight them back, by controlling him by sheer will power, or more like it, giving to this clone enough of his true self so it would fight his captors, and then he faced and killed Darkseid with a Radon Bullets, which was the weapon that killed Orion (devised by Darkseid himself).
            At the same time Darkseid (who was reincarnating step by step in Dan Turpin's body, or taking possession of him), stroke him with his Omega Beams, sending him to the "condemn in life that is the Omega Sanction", which is some sort of time labyrinth where he would be trapped until his natural death... but of course, he is Batman, so he is coming back from there.

            Starting November there will be 5 Batman ongoing series series: Batman, Detective Comics, Batman & Robin, Batman: The Dark Knight and Batman Inc.

            Dick Grayson will continue to be Batman and will star in the first 3 tittles I listed. Bruce Wayne will be Batman also and he will star in the last two books. Batman Inc will be written by Morrison and drawn by Yanick Paquette, and if you read Spanish, you can check it out here.

            Esteban - "My plan is sheer elegance in its simplicity".
            --
            Comic Verso - http://cverso.blogspot.com
            Ocio Crónico - http://ociocronico.blogspot.com

            2010/9/1 Darci <darci386@...>

            The only thing I would add is what you missed (I use the word very loosely) was "Final Crisis" not "52".   The same writer, Grant Morrison, produced both the Batman R.I.P. story arc in Batman 676-681 and the Final Crisis miniseries.  IMO, they were both monuments to stupidity.  In Batman R.I.P. we were led to believe Batman disappeared in a helicopter crash.  In Final Crisis, Darkseid's Omega Beam sent him into the past.  He's slowly working his way back to the present.
            Hope this helps,
            Darci

          • xmscity1225
            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 2, 2010
              --- In thejusticesociety@yahoogroups.com, Wallyoeste <wallyoeste@...> wrote:

              Well... that summary makes it sound more stupid than it actually is.
              I think that assessment is a bit harsh.

              I think some of how much you do (or don't) appreciate Morrison's work on things like "R.I.P." and "Final Crisis" depends on how you read the issues and how much work you're willing to put into it.

              I wasn't reading the comics on an issue-by-issue basis during that time, which may have been to my benefit. Read "R.I.P." collected in a trade paperback . . . was confused and thought "Batman of Zur-En-Arrh" with his "Bat Radia" was completely stupid and lame the first time through. Then bought the "Black Glove" trade paperback and re-read "R.I.P." after that, and it started to become a little clearer . . . further searching via the internet revealed other layers (like the connection to 1950's Batman comics) that helped to clarify it further. But if I just picked up a single issue of Batman during the R.I.P. run, I don't know if I would have bothered buying any others after that.

              (Still haven't worked myself up to buying the "Final Crisis" tpb collection . . . maybe I'll ask Sanity Claus to give it to me for Christmas?)
            • Wallyoeste
              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 2, 2010
                2010/9/2 xmscity1225 <xmscity1225@...>
                --- In thejusticesociety@yahoogroups.com, Wallyoeste <wallyoeste@...> wrote:

                 Well... that summary makes it sound more stupid than it actually is.
                 I think that assessment is a bit harsh.

                Why?, I wasn't saying anything about the person who said it, just the statement.

                I think some of how much you do (or don't) appreciate Morrison's work on things like "R.I.P." and "Final Crisis" depends on how you read the issues and how much work you're willing to put into it.

                I agree

                I wasn't reading the comics on an issue-by-issue basis during that time, which may have been to my benefit.  Read "R.I.P." collected in a trade paperback . . . was confused and thought "Batman of Zur-En-Arrh" with his "Bat Radia" was completely stupid and lame the first time through.  Then bought the "Black Glove" trade paperback and re-read "R.I.P." after that, and it started to become a little clearer . . . further searching via the internet revealed other layers (like the connection to 1950's Batman comics) that helped to clarify it further.  But if I just picked up a single issue of Batman during the R.I.P. run, I don't know if I would have bothered buying any others after that.

                I really enjoyed The Black Glove story, mostly because of J.H. Wiliams III's art (I also liked the story). I remember that when I read it, I liked the parts where Williams uses different styles to draw each character (There is one character that he draws kind of imitating Howard Chaykin's style - the Gaucho?)

                (Still haven't worked myself up to buying the "Final Crisis" tpb collection . . . maybe I'll ask Sanity Claus to give it to me for Christmas?)

                I read Final Crisis month to month, and I didn't get it... many people have said that reading the whole story together is a much better experience. The TPB includes Superman Beyond and FC Submit, which are essential to the story, so... if you liked RIP, it might not be such a bad idea to ask for the FC TPB for christmukah