Re: [The Justice Society] Wotta Woman!

  • xmscity1225
    Message 1 of 17 , May 2, 2010
      I don't know if she actually "slept" with him . . . versions I've seen haven't actually made it clear that any sex took place between the two before he bound/captured her, though I haven't been following the later re-interpretations of Wonder Woman for a while.

      --- In thejusticesociety@yahoogroups.com, fdurso@... wrote:
      ...Hypolyta slept with Hercules a long long long time ago!

      That's some good genes. (Yes, I'm saying that "magic clay" aside, Herc may be her Daddy.)
    • fdurso@comcast.net
      Message 2 of 17 , May 3, 2010
        Well, I've read versions of the myth where Hercules raped Hypolyta,
        so "Slept with" is relative (ww?).

        Frank "herc's her daddy" D'U!

        Message 3 of 17 , May 5, 2010
          I wouldn't take it for granted that that would automatically apply to the Wonder Woman mythos. You've taken a large leap of faith. I suspect that theory is unique to you.

          --- In thejusticesociety@yahoogroups.com, fdurso@... wrote:

          > Well, I've read versions of the myth where Hercules raped Hypolyta,
          > so "Slept with" is relative (ww?).
          >
          > Frank "herc's her daddy" D'U!
        • xmscity1225
          Message 4 of 17 , May 5, 2010
            So to take what I originally said (with added clarification),
            "I don't know if she [Hippolyta] actually "slept" with him [Hercules]. . . versions I've seen [in mainstream Wonder Woman / DC Comics (not including Vertigo)] haven't actually made it clear that any sex took place between the two before he [Hercules] bound/captured her [Hippolyta] / [in the Wonder Woman stories], though I haven't been following the later re-interpretations
            of Wonder Woman for a while."

            So, does anyone know if there have been any retelling of Wonder Woman and/or Hippolyta in DC Comics that have hinted at any possible sexual encounters with Hercules and Hippolyta that are likely to have been involved with the birth of Hippolyta's daughter Diana?

            --- In thejusticesociety@yahoogroups.com, "jfglade" <jfglade@...> wrote:

            I wouldn't take it for granted that that would automatically apply to the Wonder Woman mythos. You've taken a large leap of faith. I suspect that theory is unique to you.

            --- In thejusticesociety@yahoogroups.com, fdurso@ wrote:

            Well, I've read versions of the myth where Hercules raped Hypolyta, so "Slept with" is relative (ww?).

            Frank "herc's her daddy" D'U!
          • Wallyoeste
            Message 5 of 17 , May 5, 2010
              What i know is that she's not suppossed to be the daughter of Hercules or any other god for that matter. In Perez interpretation she came to life from clay, with the soul of the first woman killed by a man, extracted from the ummm, I don't know the name in english, but it was some sort of deposit of souls or something like that, maybe "vault", or something like that.

              The part with hercules happened many years before and is actually partly inspired in actual greek mithology, that encounter is the one that ends up with the Amazons in themiscira, but has nothing to do with the birth of Diana.

              Now, I haven't read Wonder Woman in a while, so, that might have been change, but i doubt that she is the daughter of any god at all.

              Esteban - "My plan is sheer elegance in its simplicity".
              --
              Comic Verso - http://cverso.blogspot.com
              Ocio Crónico - http://ociocronico.blogspot.com

              2010/5/5 xmscity1225 <xmscity1225@...>

              So, does anyone know if there have been any retelling of Wonder Woman and/or Hippolyta in DC Comics that have hinted at any possible sexual encounters with Hercules and Hippolyta that are likely to have been involved with the birth of Hippolyta's daughter Diana?

              --- In thejusticesociety@yahoogroups.com, "jfglade" <jfglade@...> wrote:

              I wouldn't take it for granted that that would automatically apply to the Wonder Woman mythos. You've taken a large leap of faith. I suspect that theory is unique to you.

              --- In thejusticesociety@yahoogroups.com, fdurso@ wrote:

              Well, I've read versions of the myth where Hercules raped Hypolyta, so "Slept with" is relative (ww?).

              Frank "herc's her daddy" D'U!

              <*> Your email settings:
                 Individual Email | Traditional

              <*> To change settings online go to:
                 (Yahoo! ID required)

              <*> To change settings via email:
                 thejusticesociety-digest@yahoogroups.com
                 thejusticesociety-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                 http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

              --

            • Darci
              Message 6 of 17 , May 5, 2010
                The current origin story for Wonder Woman is that the goddesses stored up the souls of women who died as victims of men for millenia, with the cooperation of Gaia.  The goddesses created the Amazons, using the stored up souls.  Diana's was the last to be retrieved from storage, to fulfill the role of daughter to Hippolyta.

                Of course, that might be the Amazon version of "babies are found in the cabbage patch....
                Darci

                I wouldn't take it for granted that that would automatically apply to the Wonder Woman mythos. You've taken a large leap of faith. I suspect that theory is unique to you.

                --- In thejusticesociety@ yahoogroups. com, fdurso@... wrote:

                > Well, I've read versions of the myth where Hercules raped Hypolyta,
                > so "Slept with" is relative (ww?).
                >
                > Frank "herc's her daddy" D'U!

              • Wallyoeste

                  Message 8 of 17 , May 6, 2010
                    I think I've stated my preference previously, but perhaps not in this group.  I prefer the Wonder Woman of the Silver Age, when she held that any woman could become an Amazon, with the proper training.  It was proven several times, as with Paula and Donna.  When that concept was thrown out, not only did it make Diana more unsympathetic, it also meant they had to come up with new "Who is Donna Troy" stories and find a new way to populate Paradise Island.
                    Darci

                    Message 9 of 17 , May 6, 2010
                      I think the "pure" concept may be a little much . . . I always thought it was more out of necessity.

                      Amazons were a race of woman, so no men around . . . I seem to remember at one point, it was suppose to be that if a man sets foot on Paradise Island, the Amazons would lose their immortality or powers. (And when Steve Trevor was being treated by the Amazons, it was on a neighboring island that was where they gave medical care, and not Paradise Island itself.) Since they didn't have any men / no source of sperm for invitrofertilization, Diana was created from clay and given life by the gods. (More of a Golem or Pinnochio than Christ.)

                        Message 11 of 17 , May 6, 2010
                          --- In thejusticesociety@yahoogroups.com, Darci <darci386@...> wrote:

                          I think I've stated my preference previously, but perhaps not in this group.  I prefer the Wonder Woman of the Silver Age, when she held that any woman could become an Amazon, with the proper training.  It was proven several times, as with Paula and Donna.  When that concept was thrown out, not only did it make Diana more unsympathetic, it also meant they had to come up with new "Who is Donna Troy" stories and find a new way to populate Paradise Island.
                          Darci

                          I can see why you would prefer the silver age version, given the notion that any woman could become an Amazon; initially, Wonder Woman's popularity with the earliest feminists and the use of her as symbol of their movement in the early seventies struck me as an odd thing but you've probably just hit on the sentiment that was in effect with Steinem and other pioneering feminists. I've always felt that Captain Marvel's popularity in the golden age was greater than Superman's because more young boys could relate to Billy Batson becoming so powerful not from a birthright but from the use of a magic word which could be used by anyone, if they only knew that word (after all, Mary could also say the magic word and become powerful as well ((and I'm aware that poor crippled Freddy didn't quite fit into the formula because he had to use another word, making him the only hero who couldn't say his own nom du costume)).

                          I finally learned to appreciate the golden age Wonder Woman, mainly because she lived in such a strange world and had such bizarre adventures. However, in no way do I want to see the more outlandish aspects of her golden age adventures carried over into the present.
                        • jfglade
                          Message 12 of 17 , May 6, 2010
                            --- In thejusticesociety@yahoogroups.com, Wallyoeste <wallyoeste@...> wrote:

                            > I read the books many years ago, but I think you are interpreting them in a very personal way.

                            I have to agree with you, Esteban. Frank's interpretation is unique to Frank, but he's a unique individual, as witness his confusion about his middle name.
                          • Barry Walker
                            Message 13 of 17 , May 6, 2010
                              I believe there was one issue of the Perez-era Wonder Woman where Hercules met Hippolyta again,and when asked,she made a point of denying his parentage of Diana.

                              Message 14 of 17 , May 6, 2010
                                I haven't read the new series in years, but from what I remember after
                                Diana was reborn, Hippolyta was a cavewoman who was murdered by her
                                husband when he lost his hand to a animal.

                                She was already pregnant when she died. After the amazons were
                                reborn, there was one soul left in the void (some reports listed it as
                                Gaea's womb) and the God and Goddesses said that soul had a destiny.
                                Years after Themiscrya (sp?) was founded, Hippolyta felt strange,
                                unsettled until she talked to her Oracle, who told her that she had
                                been pregnant when she died and the yearning she felt was for her
                                unborn daughter. The Goddesses told her she could have her daughter
                                and told her to create the body out of clay, the final soul was
                                released from Gaea's womb and given life.

                                Now this was the new introduction created for Diana after she was
                                returned to clay during Crisis on infinite earths, whether this is
                                still true after all the reboots that's happened since then, I have no
                                idea.

                              • fdurso@comcast.net
                                Message 15 of 17 , May 7, 2010
                                  So Wonder Woman's father was a murderous caveman?

                                  hmmm.

                                  Frank "JFGlade" D'U!
                                • xmscity1225
                                  Message 16 of 17 , May 7, 2010
                                    --- In thejusticesociety@yahoogroups.com, fdurso@... wrote:

                                    So Wonder Woman's father was a murderous caveman?

                                    hmmm.

                                    Frank "JFGlade" D'U!

                                    Well, it's not that simple . . . Wonder Woman didn't have a father per se . . . the soul of the being that eventually was "reborn" as Diana was the fetus that was being carried by the cavewoman that was killed by her mate. (Hard to technically say "reborn" because even though the baby had been conceived, she wasn't born the first time.) That cave-fetus was sort of a template for Diana.
                                    (And all of this wouldn't apply to the JSA's Golden Age Wonder Woman . . . this stuff happened with the revised Wonder Woman who first appeared AFTER the events of Crisis on Infinite Earths.)