Merino's art on JSA 29

  • elaith_2000
    Message 1 of 15 , Aug 1, 2009
      Finally picked up JSA 29 today. Wasn't worried about Willingham's writing because Fables is right behind Gaiman's Sandman for Vertigo's titles. What I was worried about was Merino's art. It wasn't bad at all. It felt like Eaglesham's work just not as clean. But still pretty good. Art-wise over in JSA vs Kobra, Kramer's art looks great. Kramer needs just the right inks and colors and he's got them on JSA v Kobra. Story's B+, but glad to see Kramer's on his game there. Eaglesham made Liberty Belle look amazing, I could buy her as both super-hot AND as a married woman in her early 30s, plus everyone else was just so clean. I'll miss Johns, but I think I'll miss Eaglesham's art even more. Not sure who'll be on the upcoming JSA All-Stars title, but hopefully it'll be at least in league with Kramer,Kirk or Eaglesham.
    • michael dunne
      Message 2 of 15 , Aug 1, 2009
        Somebody needs to give Merino a lesson in how to draw Jay's helmet. Otherwise it was a pretty nice looking issue.

        Freddie Williams III is the artist on All Stars, he works digitally so he'll get no backend on original art sales.

        regards
        Michael

        Finally picked up JSA 29 today. Wasn't worried about Willingham's writing because Fables is right behind Gaiman's Sandman for Vertigo's titles. What I was worried about was Merino's art. It wasn't bad at all. It felt like Eaglesham's work just not as clean. But still pretty good. Art-wise over in JSA vs Kobra, Kramer's art looks great. Kramer needs just the right inks and colors and he's got them on JSA v Kobra. Story's B+, but glad to see Kramer's on his game there. Eaglesham made Liberty Belle look amazing, I could buy her as both super-hot AND as a married woman in her early 30s, plus everyone else was just so clean. I'll miss Johns, but I think I'll miss Eaglesham's art even more. Not sure who'll be on the upcoming JSA All-Stars title, but hopefully it'll be at least in league with Kramer,Kirk or Eaglesham.

      • Kristofer Theilen
        Message 3 of 15 , Aug 1, 2009
          I wish a new writer could come on without making new characters.  Citizen Steel, Cyclone, Lightning, Liberty Belle (Should have stayed Jesse Quick), and now All American Kid and King Chimera.  You have an entire team right there and none of them can carry the title.

          Message 4 of 15 , Aug 14, 2009
            --- In thejusticesociety@yahoogroups.com, Kristofer Theilen <mavrck31@...> wrote:

            > I wish a new writer could come on without making new characters.  Citizen Steel, Cyclone, Lightning, Liberty Belle (Should have stayed Jesse Quick), and now All American Kid and King Chimera.  You have an entire team right there and none of them can carry the title.

            You aren't kidding are you, Mav? King Chimera? Someone or something called "King Chimera" is a member of what passes for the Justice Society these days? How does something like that happen? Who or what is King Chimera anyway (I know what a chimera is, and its significance as a literary term, but I've never heard of the character before).

            Puzzled,
            Jon
          • mavrck31@yahoo.com
            Message 5 of 15 , Aug 14, 2009
              King Chimera is the son of King Standish and some unnamed monastic illusion caster. The King found her people, studied with them and fathered her child. He can cast illusions and sound by manipulating light and sound waves.

              All American Kid is supposedly the nephew of a dead sidekick of the GA Americommando. Think Bucky Barnes. No powers.

              From: jfglade
              Date: Fri, 14 Aug 2009 21:45:27 -0000
              To: <thejusticesociety@yahoogroups.com>

              --- In thejusticesociety@ yahoogroups. com, Kristofer Theilen <mavrck31@.. .> wrote:

              > I wish a new writer could come on without making new characters.  Citizen Steel, Cyclone, Lightning, Liberty Belle (Should have stayed Jesse Quick), and now All American Kid and King Chimera.  You have an entire team right there and none of them can carry the title.

              You aren't kidding are you, Mav? King Chimera? Someone or something called "King Chimera" is a member of what passes for the Justice Society these days? How does something like that happen? Who or what is King Chimera anyway (I know what a chimera is, and its significance as a literary term, but I've never heard of the character before).

              Puzzled,
              Jon

            • jfglade
              Message 6 of 15 , Aug 14, 2009
                --- In thejusticesociety@yahoogroups.com, mavrck31@... wrote:

                > King Chimera is the son of King Standish and some unnamed monastic illusion caster. The King found her people, studied with them and fathered her child. He can cast illusions and sound by manipulating light and sound waves.
                >
                > All American Kid is supposedly the nephew of a dead sidekick of the GA Americommando. Think Bucky Barnes. No powers.

                Kind Chimera's odd name actually makes sense considering his illusionary abilities, but King Standish (a.k.a. the King) is so far removed from the original Justice Society that he didn't even appear in Roy Thomas' late, great 'All-Star Squadron' series. It's also a bit ironic that Standish would father a child with someone other than his "loving enemy," the Witch. The King and the Witch had a relationship that was a great deal like the relationship between Batman and Catwoman, so if the King is saddled with an illegitimate offspring, it is rather disappointing that the Witch (who was a "Mistress of Disguise" much as the King was a "Master of Disguise") wasn't the mother.

                As far as I know, unless you count a stereotypical Black servant, Tex Thompson/Mr. America/Americommando never had any sidekick other than Bob Daley, who at one point took to wearing a costume feature a head covering that looked like a lampshade and called himself "Fatman." Despite his odd sense of fashion and his choice of mystery man names, Bob was actually a more competant sidekick than the likes of Doiby Dickles, or Winky, Blinky, and Noddy. I'm a bit suprised that Bob, who was appearing by 1938, has a nephew young enough to be called "Kid."

                It sounds to me like the "legacy" concept is being spread a bit too thin.
              • mavrck31@yahoo.com
                Message 7 of 15 , Aug 14, 2009
                  Winky, blinky and Noddy were killed last week in JLA:cry for justice. They were killed while working as volunteers at the flash museum

                  From: jfglade
                  Date: Fri, 14 Aug 2009 23:36:01 -0000
                  To: <thejusticesociety@yahoogroups.com>
                  Subject: [The Justice Society] Re: King Chimera & All American Kid

                  Message 8 of 15 , Aug 14, 2009
                    --- In thejusticesociety@yahoogroups.com, mavrck31@... wrote:

                    > Winky, blinky and Noddy were killed last week in JLA:cry for justice. They were killed while working as volunteers at the flash museum

                    I'm not sure if I should be saddened by that news, or delighted; Winky, Blinky, and Noddy were dim wits, in fact, they were called "The Three Dimwits" on quite a few 'Flash Comics' and 'All-Flash Comics' covers. Personally, I've yet to see a story that benefitted by their presence, but I wouldn't have enjoyed seeing them slaughtered either.
                  • mavrck31@yahoo.com
                    Message 9 of 15 , Aug 14, 2009
                      Mentioned as already having happened, earlier that day is my impression

                      From: jfglade
                      Date: Fri, 14 Aug 2009 23:55:45 -0000
                      To: <thejusticesociety@yahoogroups.com>

                      --- In thejusticesociety@ yahoogroups. com, mavrck31@... wrote:

                      > Winky, blinky and Noddy were killed last week in JLA:cry for justice. They were killed while working as volunteers at the flash museum

                      I'm not sure if I should be saddened by that news, or delighted; Winky, Blinky, and Noddy were dim wits, in fact, they were called "The Three Dimwits" on quite a few 'Flash Comics' and 'All-Flash Comics' covers. Personally, I've yet to see a story that benefitted by their presence, but I wouldn't have enjoyed seeing them slaughtered either.

                    • David McMahon
                      Message 10 of 15 , Aug 14, 2009
                        Actually, Mr. America had one or two other sidekicks towards the end of his strip, including a Greek patriot, whose name I forgot.

                        But it appears the King Chimera is actually a villain as it seems he took over All American Kid mind and had him stab Mr. Terrific in the back with a huge knife.

                        Message 11 of 15 , Aug 14, 2009
                          did the next issue come out yet?  because that is not the impression I got out of it.  I think it's the Spirit King again.  No original ideas and all that....

                          jfglade wrote:

                          --- In thejusticesociety@ yahoogroups. com, mavrck31@... wrote:

                          > King Chimera is the son of King Standish and some unnamed monastic illusion caster. The King found her people, studied with them and fathered her child. He can cast illusions and sound by manipulating light and sound waves.
                          >
                          > All American Kid is supposedly the nephew of a dead sidekick of the GA Americommando. Think Bucky Barnes. No powers.

                          Kind Chimera's odd name actually makes sense considering his illusionary abilities, but King Standish (a.k.a. the King) is so far removed from the original Justice Society that he didn't even appear in Roy Thomas' late, great 'All-Star Squadron' series. It's also a bit ironic that Standish would father a child with someone other than his "loving enemy," the Witch. The King and the Witch had a relationship that was a great deal like the relationship between Batman and Catwoman, so if the King is saddled with an illegitimate offspring, it is rather disappointing that the Witch (who was a "Mistress of Disguise" much as the King was a "Master of Disguise") wasn't the mother.

                          As far as I know, unless you count a stereotypical Black servant, Tex Thompson/Mr. America/Americomman do never had any sidekick other than Bob Daley, who at one point took to wearing a costume feature a head covering that looked like a lampshade and called himself "Fatman." Despite his odd sense of fashion and his choice of mystery man names, Bob was actually a more competant sidekick than the likes of Doiby Dickles, or Winky, Blinky, and Noddy. I'm a bit suprised that Bob, who was appearing by 1938, has a nephew young enough to be called "Kid."

                          It sounds to me like the "legacy" concept is being spread a bit too thin.

                        • c_midnite
                          Message 12 of 15 , Aug 16, 2009
                            > > Winky, blinky and Noddy were killed last week in
                            > JLA:cry for justice.  They were killed while working as
                            > volunteers at the flash museum
                            >

                            > I'm not sure if I should be saddened by that news, or
                            > delighted; Winky, Blinky, and Noddy were dim wits, in fact,
                            > they were called "The Three Dimwits" on quite a few 'Flash
                            > Comics' and 'All-Flash Comics' covers. Personally, I've yet
                            > to see a story that benefitted by their presence, but I
                            > wouldn't have enjoyed seeing them slaughtered either.

                            Well, I didn't see it either. But maybe they went down like heroes, trying to defend the museum? Besides, wouldn't they be like 90 years old?
                          • mavrck31@yahoo.com
                            Message 13 of 15 , Aug 16, 2009
                              Jay just said "three dear friends" were murdered, and that they were volunteers at the museum. Didn't even say who killed them, destroyed the Flash Museum and stole the cosmic treadmill.

                              From: c_midnite
                              Date: Sun, 16 Aug 2009 07:45:10 -0700 (PDT)
                              To: <thejusticesociety@yahoogroups.com>

                              Message 14 of 15 , Aug 16, 2009
                                But the three men were shown. and they were Winky, Blinky and Noddy - All American's version of the Three Stooges, whom they have a more than passing resemblance to.
                                David

                                From: c_midnite
                                Date: Sun, 16 Aug 2009 07:45:10 -0700 (PDT)
                                To: <thejusticesociety@ yahoogroups. com>

                                Message 15 of 15 , Aug 16, 2009
                                  right. i meant we don't know if they were slaughtered or died bravely

                                  From: c_midnite
                                  Date: Sun, 16 Aug 2009 07:45:10 -0700 (PDT)
                                  To: <thejusticesociety@ yahoogroups. com>