Case Files of the JSA ( Activity Starter - I Hope )

  • Michael
    Message 1 of 20 , Jul 10 9:26 PM
      People, this is one case for silence is definitely NOT golden. So, how about a little activity around the joint. Try this one on for size ?

      What would you think of a new JSA comic title that used the Golden Age crew in there prime. Something like "Case Files of the JSA". It could reprint past adventures and introduce new ones with the classic characters.

      It could be set up as the current newbies being taught by the originals that are still with the team. It could also be just them telling the young 'uns some tales of glorious yester years.
    • elaith_2000@yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 20 , Jul 11 12:44 AM
        I'd be all for it.  However, when Geoff Johns isn't writing JSA, DC has problems finding good writers, and a book of this nature wouldn't be a first-string creative team title.  JSA Classified has tons of potential but after the Power Girl storyline DC just threw whoever on the book and it died a slow painful death. (I still bought every issue, sigh.)  Plus, not until there's a major editiorial shake up at DC (first the removal of Dan Didio) I don't think B-list books will get the same attentioned they did pre-Infinite Crisis.
        Do you remember the Starman #11 which was a flashback issue where the story was about Flash/Alan Scott/Starman and one of them killed Ragdoll, but there was no way to know who actually did it?  Hourman was holding the bridge against Ragdoll's enslaved army.  I think if won an Eisner in 2000?  THAT was a great story along the lines your talking.  And Robinson (who wrote Starman and co-wrote Golden Age) would be perfect.
        (Which by the way if your a golden age JSA fan, you HAVE to read Golden Age by James Robinson.)

          People, this is one case for silence is definitely NOT golden. So, how about a little activity around the joint. Try this one on for size ?

           What would you think of a new JSA comic title that used the Golden Age crew in there prime. Something like "Case Files of the JSA". It could reprint past adventures and introduce new ones with the classic characters.

            It could be set up as the current newbies being taught by the originals that are still with the team. It could also be just them telling the young 'uns some tales of glorious yester years.

        <*> Your email settings:
            Individual Email | Traditional

        <*> To change settings online go to:
            (Yahoo! ID required)

        <*> To change settings via email:
            mailto:thejusticesociety-digest@yahoogroups.com
            mailto:thejusticesociety-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • michael dunne
        Message 3 of 20 , Jul 11 3:15 AM
          Didio  has made it very very clear he will not do stories set in the past. Until hat editorial edict is lifted expect no JSA in thier prime stories.

          Which I would love to see, DC' s issue as Didio has explained it in brief convention sentences is the original JSA is tied to to WWII and they believe that dates the originals.

          Of course if the JSA was set up on Earth two the date of WWII could be explained away as, "a decade ago a great war was fought..." and the go on from there.

          Agreed about JSA Classified excluding the Don Kramer, Paul Gulacy  and Staz johnson  stories they book had horrible art, especialy toward the end.

          regards
          Michael

          Not that I would not want to see it,

              http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/thejustice society/join
              (Yahoo! ID required)

          <*> To change settings via email:
              mailto:thejusticesociety- digest@yahoogrou ps.com
              mailto:thejusticesociety- fullfeatured@ yahoogroups. com

              http://docs. yahoo.com/ info/terms/

        • dave barnowski
          Message 4 of 20 , Jul 11 9:06 AM
            IThat's a book I would buy as I recently dropped the JSA book because I don't really care for all the newbies. I prefer Jay and Alan over any of the other versions of the Flash or Green Lanterns, but I don't care for the modern interpertations of the Wildcat or Hawkman so I've been disatisfied with the book for a while. Give me the original Atom, Sandman, Starman, Mr. Terrific, Johnny Thunder et al.
            Dave

            People, this is one case for silence is definitely NOT golden. So, how about a little activity around the joint. Try this one on for size ?

            What would you think of a new JSA comic title that used the Golden Age crew in there prime. Something like "Case Files of the JSA". It could reprint past adventures and introduce new ones with the classic characters.

            It could be set up as the current newbies being taught by the originals that are still with the team. It could also be just them telling the young 'uns some tales of glorious yester years.

          • John McBeth
            Message 5 of 20 , Jul 11 1:01 PM
              The thing that makes JSA (current continuity) stand out since Robinson and Goyer launched the title is the generational factor.  The elder statesmen, Hawkman, Jay, Alan, and Ted subltely guided the future heroes.   Then as the "new" heroes (Power Girl, Sand, Star Girl) gained experience, others came, hoping to take up the mantle of thier inspiration or ancestor.  But at no point do you loose the connection to the past.  Its each generation working together, each respecting the other.  Robinson/Goyer gave it a great start, Johns made it awesome, Infinite Crisis nearly killed it.  The Johns relaunch was great, with Eaglesham's art was beautiful.  I'm hoping that when Willingham takes over that he does a good a job on JSA as he does with Fables.  Fables is probably the best mainstream comic published today, so the potential is there for something great.  Now, again, maybe the best way to ensure JSA greatness would be to fire Dan Didio.  I don't want to see JSA on Earth Two, they should be within the main continuity, with the Elder Statesmen as inspirations for the likes of even Superman and Batman, plus every other would be superhero in DC.

[...]

            • Barry Walker
              Message 6 of 20 , Jul 11 5:51 PM
                 Sounds like a cool idea to me.

                Message 7 of 20 , Jul 11 7:38 PM
                  Personally, I think it is past time to move all the Golden Age characters out of the 40s.  Sad to say but in another 10-20 years those who served in WW2 and those who were kids and read those original stories won't be with us any longer.  And so many younger readers know so little of that time period anyways - as well as some of the artists and writers.  So lets update those Golden Age characters origins out of the 40s and into todays world - just like Iron Man's origin updated from Vietnam to Terrorists.

                  When Earth One and Two were introduced, it was stated that Earth-Two, due to vibrational speed differences moved at a different rate than Earth-One.  So that the JSA was only ten years older than their JLA counterparts.  I wouldn't mind seeing an Earth where that is still true.

                  Or even another Earth where all heroes are just starting out.

                  The Society was just that, a social club or society where heroes first got together for comradeship - laugh, joke, eat a meal, tell stories, so something good for the general public.  Whereas, the League is a team of heroes formed to fight menaces they couldn't handle on their own.  The two could function with all heroes being roughly the same age in each group because the reasons for existence for each gives them different drives.

                  Remember stories of the JSA dealing with disease and hunger and juvenile delinquents?  That's something a service club or society might do.  While you can't do month after month of those kinds of stories, the JSA is better for handling such topics than the JLA.  I can't remember much in the way of the JLA doing similar things.  An odd story now and then but mostly fighting menaces to the world.

                  Another idea.

                  I would love to see DC put out four monthly anthology titles of 70 pages each, 5 complete fourteen page stories in each issue.  They don't even have to appear every issue of a title but could have others characters appear instead.  Or could even appear in all four titles sometimes.  Which would give us one title a week, roughly.  [and would be a good tryout title for new writers and artists, since they would only be responsible for one of the five stories appearing in any issue]

                  In them, the new updated origins and adventures of all those heroes of yore.  DC, counting Quality, All American, Fawcett and the Charlton characters, has over 200 characters that they could write new adventures of, set in all time periods.  The 8 most popular of the "new modern" Golden Agers from these anthology titles could be spun off into a new JSA title.

                  Of course, DC would have to find writers who actually know how to write a complete story in 14 pages, make it entertaining, and not have a continuing soap opera subplot that would require a reader to keep up with everything but could enjoy each issue all on its own merits.  Especially since the character might not show up again for a couple of issues.  You know, like they did in the 40s.  :-)

                  The JLA would consist of the 6 or 7 best selling characters who have their own solo titles, with one or two additional characters that the writers would hope to spin off into solo titles.

                  Updating origins ....

                  many need just little tweaks or can remain the same.  Not much has to be done to Wildcat's origin, does it?  Or Ibis?  Even Airwave wouldn't need much of a change.  Or Mr. Scarlet, the original hardluck hero.  Captain Triumph - the one brother could have been killed by terrorist bombing rather than Nazis.  Jay Garrick, the Flash - still can have some kind of lab accident which caused him to breathe in the fumes that gave him his superspeed.  No change for Hawkman.  No real change for Mr. Terrific, other than thanks to the Internet, he could take lots of online courses to get his various college degrees when he was a kid - probably got his GED when he was four, and he was at different Olympic Games instead of the 1936 one.  Midnight, probably be a talk radio guy instead of the guy who reads the news on the radio, probably change his origin so he doesn't deal with a badly constructed dam but some other problem.  The Ray ... hmmm ... toughie there because his origin was silly to begin with.

                  Speedsters ....  Give each one their own special superspeed trick that the others can't duplicate.
                  The original Flash had the ability to whirl in place and thus turn invisible, with only a slight breeze to give him away.  He did that in lots of his early stories.  Only he can do it.
                  Only Barry Allen, vibrates through walls. [and Kid Flash, who may only be able to do it when he is with the Flash and not adventuring on his own]
                  Quicksilver, the slowest speedster, also happens to be the most acrobatic and can use his superspeed in confined and cluttered areas with his acrobatic ability.  I mean his first story has him diving through the whirling blades of a plane engine crooks mounted on a platform to keep the cops out while they robbed a bank.  Never saw any other speedster do that. [put him in a high rise construction site and watch out!!!]
                  Johnny Quick, he can fly as well as run, which no other speedster can do.

                  Just My Two Cents [and since you can't buy anything for two cents ....]

                  David McMahon

                  Barry Walker wrote:

                   Sounds like a cool idea to me.

                  Message 8 of 20 , Jul 11 7:48 PM
                    I'm very surprised that we have a Power Girl series and a JSA mini (the Kobra mini-series) going on at the same time as the main JSA tite.  DC's tighting focus and the JSA family doesn't have film tie-in characters, or any of the "gods" so we're lucky to have what we do now.  We've also been lucky that Geoff Johns can handle huge casts, which is why we have the old guard, the older non-legacies (Power Girl, Sand, etc) plus the new legacies (Commander Steel's back, Mr Terrific, Hourman).  Also with the mentor roll, coupled with what Robinson did in Starman, the elder statesmen aren't "golly, gosh" cartoons anymore, they've grown into important members of a bigger world.

[...]

                    Barry Walker wrote:
                     Sounds like a cool idea to me.

                    People, this is one case for silence is definitely NOT golden. So, how about a little activity around the joint. Try this one on for size ?

                    What would you think of a new JSA comic title that used the Golden Age crew in there prime. Something like "Case Files of the JSA". It could reprint past adventures and introduce new ones with the classic characters.

                    It could be set up as the current newbies being taught by the originals that are still with the team. It could also be just them telling the young 'uns some tales of glorious yester years.

                  • David McMahon
                    Message 9 of 20 , Jul 11 8:00 PM
                      Speaking of Power Girl ... I loved the other cover of issue one of her title.  After laughing at the two basketballs on her chest, I took a close look at her face.  And darn it, if she doesn't look like Doris Day did when she was a young star!  Goggle Doris and look at some of her photos and see if you don't agree.

                      David McMahon

                      John McBeth wrote:

[...]

                      Barry Walker wrote:
                       Sounds like a cool idea to me.

                      Message 10 of 20 , Jul 11 8:55 PM
                        You're not wrong.  There's something there.  I love Power Girl, and am glad that they're giving her to Amanda Conner, I've talked to her enough to know she loves the character.  I'm also glad they didn't give into the 2 big character changes that got kicked around 1) smaller breasts, Wally Wood gave them to her, they're part of the character 2) making her a lesbian, if they did it the only reason would be to "sensationalize" the character.  I think the love Johns gave her and the fun Jimmy and Amanda will have with her will make for a great series and help the core JSA title as well.

                        John McBeth wrote:
[...]

                        Barry Walker wrote:
                         Sounds like a cool idea to me.

                        People, this is one case for silence is definitely NOT golden. So, how about a little activity around the joint. Try this one on for size ?

                        What would you think of a new JSA comic title that used the Golden Age crew in there prime. Something like "Case Files of the JSA". It could reprint past adventures and introduce new ones with the classic characters.

                        It could be set up as the current newbies being taught by the originals that are still with the team. It could also be just them telling the young 'uns some tales of glorious yester years.

                      • William Reaves
                        Message 11 of 20 , Jul 11 9:22 PM
                          A aAse Files series with both old and new tales would be great. I liked the Vandal Savage storyline in the Classified series for that reason. It was both old and new.

                          I'd like to see some JSA stories set in the period when they were first resurrected, circa 1962-1965. Historically, there were a lot of socially significant things going on and so many societal changes that would effect them to keep it interesting [Cold War, Space Program, JFK and MLK Assainations, Civil Rights movements, Vietnam War, Drugs, Hippes, etc] . I liked the idea of New Frontier, but would rather have seen it focused on  the JSA and not the JLA. Actually, there's a viable idea. Do a JSA series set in the New Frontier world!

                          At the very least, I'd like to see a return of the revamped Wizard from Secret-Society of Super-Villians. I always liked him.

                          I recently cancelled my regular subscription to the series as well. Final Crisis was a major disappointment and I don't see anything changing in that regard, despite DC being aware of it.  I liked the new series and bought the entire run faithfully, but have also grown tired of all the "new" legacy heroes taking over. Cyclone and Stargirl are fine, but the others are overkill. There are just too many of them and too many uninteresting ones. I especially deplore the non-JSA legacy characters like Magog, Judomaster, and Steel. Jesse Quick as Liberty Bell bores me to no end. I tolerated this for as long as I did, because I honestly believed they were going to spin them off into a new series or something and be done with it, but there is no sign of it yet. And enough of the Marvel family already!

                          Multipart epics as the new norm have also gotten old. Most of these plots are too thin for 3 or 4 issues.You have to buy so many damn books just to get an idea of what is going on (and even there there are usually a lot of loose ends), and then go back and reread old issues to get what is going on in the current one.  Instead of attempting to read one story, artifically spread out over 4 months, I now prefer to get the trade paperback, and rather than buying it, borrow it from the library, since they're so expensive and the resale comic market is so flat.

                          Personally, I liked the Kingdom Come storyline and the revival of Hawkman.The Kingdom Come story line worked so well for me because KC was already well-steeped in JSA lore, both in characters and its basic premise. I was actually excited about the recent return to Earth-II and happy for the most part with what they had done, but another Power Girl showing up ruined it for me. What was the point? I have also tried to get into the new PG mini-series, but aside from expanding on the origin of  the Ultra-Humanite, the characters (especially PG herself) are barely recognizable. I believe its possible to tell new stories, while capturing the essence of the old. Any writer of the JSA must understand this, or fail. The JSA is a unique animal.

                          In my opinion, the new JSA is at its best when it tells a new story with firm roots in the history of the group, either as a direct link to the past (such as an old villian, or plotline returned) or when it extends or explains something already rooted in the past. I love to see the characters and their mytholgies grow in logical ways. The new Mr. Terrific has been a great example. A good writer can keep it fresh. To me, JSA is all about its history, and the new series (as well as things like the Starman and Sandman Mystery Theatre series) proved that that is really what the majority of fans like.

                          My advice to DC, strike the proper balance of nostalgia or lose the fanbase.

                          William

                          Author of:

                          Our Fathers' Godsaga by Viktor Rydberg, Illustrated by John Bauer
                          Translated by William P. Reaves (iUniverse, 2003)

                          Viktor Rydberg's Investigations into Germanic Mythology, Vol. II,
                          Part 1: Indo-European Mythology (iUniverse, 2007) and Part 2: Germanic Mythology (2004).
                          Translated and Annotated by William P. Reaves

                          Available at bn.com and wherever books are sold.

[...]

                          Barry Walker wrote:
                           Sounds like a cool idea to me.

                          Message 12 of 20 , Jul 11 9:50 PM
                            JSA (the current continuity) also folds in Infinity Inc (as the team was the direct decedent of the JSA), as well as other just-pre-Crisis characters and storylines.  Which is why we see Commander Steel.  As far as Magog, DC has made Kingdom Come one of the 52 universes (going back to the mulit-verse was a mistake and will bite them in the ass), so Magog connects us to that now fully formed and recognized universe.  And I just have to disagree with being bored by Liberty Bell, her marriage to Hourman makes a great real-life backdrop for alot of the bigger-than-life action.  I like my characters to grow and change, not be constantly rolled back or retconned to maintain a "timeless" quality.  It makes the characters less real and more easy to relate to.  I was disappointed when Johns dropped the Star Girl/Billy Batson romance it was adorable.

[...]

                            Barry Walker wrote:
                             Sounds like a cool idea to me.

                            Message 13 of 20 , Jul 11 9:56 PM
                              HI,

                              >I don't want to see JSA on Earth Two, they should be within the main continuity, with the Elder Statesmen as inspirations for the likes of even Superman and Batman, plus every other would be superhero in DC.
                              I agree with this. They have been in the main continuity for too long to return to Earth-II now. Superman and Batman were never much  part of the team, and Queen Hippolyte as the JSA Wonder Woman works for me.  It would severely mess things up *again* to try to start an Earth-II series now. They blew the recent return to Earth-II in my opinion too badly to make this work now. The time to do it would have been then, if ever.

                              I'm also not for revwriting all of their origins out of WWII either, unless they were somehow tied to the Cold War (which lasted almost 40 years anyway). That might work, if it was well done. As it stands,  I'm okay with their ages having been magically extended via the All-Star Squadron Annual storyline of years past. At some point, they'll likely need to die (especially Jay, who could enter the Speed Force, and thus return from time to time) but for now its working.  Wildcat's origin isn't tied to WWII, and his arrival in the JSA was primarily in the 1960s anyway (other than one Golden Age JSA story in All-Star #24) so that's doable as well.GL could conceiveably go on for a long time, due to the nature of his power. Hawkman has already been rejuvenated. Who else is left?

                              Message 14 of 20 , Jul 11 10:08 PM
                                You're right Jay's the one indanger of running out of time. (Seriously, no pun intended.)  What little faith I do have in DC, I do think they're well aware that she sould of the orginal JSAers comes from the time frame of their youth.  Alan is still the man about town towards women like a rich "playboy" of the 40s would be.  Wildcat's personality is so grounded in the pre-war era that second to boxing it defines him (as best seen in his relationship with Catwoman).  Jay's the steady family man comparable to Fred McMurry.  They need to stay WWII era men to be who they are.  Punisher and Tony Stark are still themselves regardless of what war created them.  I and I think (fingers crossed) that DC is aware of this.

> [...]

                                Dave

                                People, this is one case for silence is definitely NOT golden. So, how about a little activity around the joint. Try this one on for size ?

                                What would you think of a new JSA comic title that used the Golden Age crew in there prime. Something like "Case Files of the JSA". It could reprint past adventures and introduce new ones with the classic characters.

                                It could be set up as the current newbies being taught by the originals that are still with the team. It could also be just them telling the young 'uns some tales of glorious yester years.

                              • Kristofer Theilen
                                Message 15 of 20 , Jul 11 10:47 PM
                                  I think the writing was worse on JSA Classified, personally.

                                  I'd love to see a new version of All Star Squadron, starting from the beginning and working forward again.

                                  Message 16 of 20 , Jul 11 11:01 PM
                                    Personally I say keep the Golden Age 3, being back Hawkman, keep PG, Atom Smasher, and Mr. T.  Bring back Sand, Doc Mid-Nite, and, as annoying as he was, Jakeem.  Even Stargirl can stay.

                                    Get rid of Citizen Steel, Lightning, Magog, WildCat V (or is it VI?), and Judomaster.

                                    As much as I dislike her, just give Maxine a real costume and get rid of the Pipi Longstocking socks and I could stand her.

                                    Damage is the most untapped character in the DCU.,  He could do so much.  Atom's son.  JLA's dna.  Huge potential.  Crappy writers like Devin Grayson made him worse.

                                    Message 17 of 20 , Jul 11 11:46 PM
                                      Damage's problem is too much potential.  That's why Johns took him back to basics in JSA.  He was all over the place, power-wise, personality-wise, and continuity-wise.  Having Jesse and Rick mentor him allows Damage to re-emerge as a more coherent character with firmer roots and a fresh clean continuity.  I like Steel, good legacy character.  Wildcat (Ted) needed a legacy that was flesh and blood, but I think Ted's son needs work before the character's really there.
                                      Lightning, Magog and Judomaster can't leave fast enough for me.  All good character's in their own right, though.  Lightning just seems to be another ethnic character.  Magog had a good story...now he needs to move on. (He has a whole universe, Earth-22 the Kingdom Come universe, why is he here still?)  And Judomaster has ties, through All-Star Squadron (post-Crisis, Jagger belonged to All Star Squadron).  But, yeah.  Once Birds of Prey returns (wishing, I know it'll never happen) Judomaster should be seen there.

                                    • mavrck31@yahoo.com
                                      Message 18 of 20 , Jul 12 11:55 AM
                                        Fyi they made a new Ibis and Sargon last year... Both suck in my opinion.

                                        From: David McMahon
                                        Date: Sat, 11 Jul 2009 22:38:46 -0400
                                        To: <thejusticesociety@yahoogroups.com>

[...]

                                        Barry Walker wrote:

                                         Sounds like a cool idea to me.

                                        People, this is one case for silence is definitely NOT golden. So, how about a little activity around the joint. Try this one on for size ?

                                        What would you think of a new JSA comic title that used the Golden Age crew in there prime. Something like "Case Files of the JSA". It could reprint past adventures and introduce new ones with the classic characters.

                                        It could be set up as the current newbies being taught by the originals that are still with the team. It could also be just them telling the young 'uns some tales of glorious yester years.

                                      • spaceranger3000
                                        Message 19 of 20 , Jul 12 9:23 PM
                                          What is your problem with the new Ibis and Sargon? Their premiere one shots were both very interesting. I thought that both characters presented themselves fairly well during the Reign in Hell mini. Sargon even died to save Zantana and the rest and gave them an opportunity to escape. I wouldn't call that sucking!

                                          With the change in taste with newer readers DC decided to update characters something that they have done before. The new Ibis, who I do like, has a lot of potential. He is, afterall, just a youngster and learning his way. A good writer could turn this into a viable series. If the new Sargon was revived and returned to normal, he also has loads of potential. His arrogance reminds me of a young Dr. Strange. I think a new magic orientated title with Ibis, Sargon and the new Dr. Fate could work.

                                          But what do we get? Magog!

                                          Message 20 of 20 , Jul 13 5:33 AM
                                            I was unimpressed with the entire Search for Dr Fate storyline. Once again, maybe better writing (I did not read Reign in Hell) might save the character.

                                            From: "spaceranger3000"
                                            Date: Mon, 13 Jul 2009 04:23:22 -0000
                                            To: <thejusticesociety@yahoogroups.com>