Re: [The Justice Society] The Justice Society and this group's history...

  • Reuben Reuben
    Message 1 of 17 , Apr 1, 2009
      <I prefer fan fiction and site dedicated to the older books because I don't like the new comics.>

      Me too.

      From: jfglade <no_reply@yahoogroup s.com>
      To: thejusticesociety@ yahoogroups. com
      Date: Monday, March 30, 2009, 11:22 PM

      Don,

      You started this group something like six or seven months before JSAJim discorporated the JSAAS. If you go back into the message archives during the group's first month, you'll find that Jim joined this group and held no malice against you for starting a second JSA group. Our first big boost in membership, although we had been growing steadily, came when Jim announced that he was going to put the JSAAS group down. This group was particularly active during the two years that followed the demise of the JSAAS.

      I haven't been doing much as a moderator, save approving a message or two or deleting some spam, for a good long while. There is no longer a comics shop where I live, I haven't seen a copy of the current Justice Society title since issue #3, which I bought when I was out of town, and I find myself not caring what happens in the newest version of the DC Universe. I still have an interest in the classic Justice Society of America which appeared in 'All Star Comics' but this doesn't look like a place where there is much discussion of the original version of the team.

      There is probably some life left in this group.

      --- In thejusticesociety@ yahoogroups. com, "spaceranger3000" <spaceranger3000@ ...> wrote:

      > Very loosely organized! I was just thinking about the ealy days of this group. To begin there was another group, organized by JSA Jim and it was a great group but for various reasons, Jim disbanded that group and a few of us started this one to have a place to go. I stop by from time to time, but not as much as I used to. Now, having lost my job, I have more time and I have started moving around. I am not sure just how many of the original group is still around. There was a time when yahoo did a major changeover to the groups and things were migrated. There are a number of bouncing members and I wonder if this is a carryover from that migration. I also wonder how many of the moderators are still around. I see that you are ( of course) Wally is and Jon Glade. Several others I have not heard from in ages and I'm starting to email them to see if they are still available. Kurt did a lot of good research and was a great fan. Lady Obie was another.
      >
      > Earlier, I had thought about making membership cards and so on, and I wonder if people would be interested in stuff like that. I think I still have the masters both for the cards and for a sheet that can be mounted on the wall.
      >
      > I also hang out a neat place called Hero and Villain. Among the things we do is vote for ultimate groups, best villains and so on. I am thinking about adding some of that here. I don't think that we have had a poll in a long time.
      >
      > Meanwhile everyone is invited to check out
      >
      > http://s3.invisionf ree.com/Hero_ and_Villain/
      >
      > Take care!
      > Don
      > (O_O)
      >

      > --- In thejusticesociety@ yahoogroups. com, Kristofer Theilen <mavrck31@> wrote:
      > >
      > > We're supposed to be a team.  Loosely organized, like the Defenders...

    • dave barnowski
      Message 2 of 17 , Apr 1, 2009
        I don't have the links available but anyone who misses the old JSA and Earth 2 should check out the 5 Earth's project and their sites where the writers have coninued on with the Earths 1, 2, 4,S, 12, and even  Capttain Carrot's as still seperated after the Crisis on Infinate Earths. Another site is Earth 2 Prime, where the post crisis world is based on Earth 2 template and not earth 1. The Elseworlds site also has some excellent stories.
        Dave

> [...]

        > Earlier, I had thought about making membership cards and so on, and I wonder if people would be interested in stuff like that. I think I still have the masters both for the cards and for a sheet that can be mounted on the wall.
        >
        > I also hang out a neat place called Hero and Villain. Among the things we do is vote for ultimate groups, best villains and so on. I am thinking about adding some of that here. I don't think that we have had a poll in a long time.
        >
        > Meanwhile everyone is invited to check out
        >
        > http://s3.invisionf ree.com/Hero_ and_Villain/
        >
        > Take care!
        > Don
        > (O_O)
        >

        > --- In thejusticesociety@ yahoogroups. com, Kristofer Theilen <mavrck31@> wrote:
        > >
        > > We're supposed to be a team.  Loosely organized, like the Defenders...

      • jfglade
        Message 3 of 17 , Apr 6, 2009
          --- In thejusticesociety@yahoogroups.com, "spaceranger3000" <spaceranger3000@...> wrote:

          > Hi Jon,
          >
          > Jim still shows up on the regular DC Message boards. I just "talked" to Kurt and he seems to be enjoying doing some work with Roy On the JSA companions books, which everybody in this group should be buying. He noted that DC has Vol. 4 in for their approval. So that is to look forward to!
          >
          > Wally seems to be around some.
          >
          > I haven't been able to contact Lady Obie at all, of late. So we are still around.
          >
          > I haven't missed an issue of JSA or related titles, yet. Hopefully that can continue.
          >
          > My main online work is with my Hero_and_Villain website. I have gotten more involved with the yahoo groups again, first with Richard's groups and now in the others. Being unemployed helps some with the time.
          >
          > Take care.
          >
          > Don

          I'm not happy to learn that you are unemployed but I'm sure you are getting by fine, since you always seemed to have a good grasp on the mechanics of real life. I'm glad to learn that Kurt is involved with some publishing project involving the Justice Society, and I'm still hoping that he might eventually find a publisher for his novel which deals with many golden age DC characters. Wally has become a lawyer, which probably isn't quite like becoming a vampite, but I know many lawyers and they are apparently a different life form. I have no idea what became of Lady Obie or Graeme, but they still did a bit of moderation activity as of two or two and a half years ago, although last I knew Graeme was also spending some time at the DC History group, but I don't visit there that often and I haven't seen his username in years, although that doesn't mean he isn't still around somewhere. I made Mav a moderator a few years ago, so that someone would always be around to deal with spam and moderated messages, if I or someone else wasn't around.

          I spend much of my online time running an All-Star Squadron PBEM (play by E-Mail) yahoo group, which is fairly new and pretty darned active; PBEM games are basically collaberative writing exercises, and the one I run is an experiment in democracy, to an extent, and generarlly focused much more on the genuine golden age than recent or current retroactive continuity involving the JSA and other Quality, All-American, and Fawcett characters (and a handful of "ringers"). I doubt you would be interested in playing, but you're welcome to take a look, if you wish:

          For those curious about PBEMs, and who are more attuned to current and recent DC retconning, Mav also runs a faltering PBEM group which could use a few new active members, and which has the proven potential to be an entertaining experience for JSA fans who like to write. Here's a link for his group, for anyone interested:

          Since I'm not in a posititon to buy current comics locally, or inclined to spend what I see as too much money for an iffy product, I'm not going to have much, if anything, to say about current DC fare. However, I will check in now and again, and I'm always up for a discussion of the golden age Justice Society, the silver age stories featuring Justice Society members, Roy Thomas's late, great 'All-Star Squadron' series, the short lived Justice Society title from the 80s, or even the 'Super Squad' issues from the 70s.

          I may register over at your Heroes and Villains group, and I have peeked around there. The villain aspect interests me, and I may as well throw in a plug for another group I own which is slow but fairly steady, and which posts stories in its files section, not to display the heroes but to show off interesting obscure villains:

          (If nothing else, that will force me to put up a "new" story or two, which lately have been mainly from public domain Quality Comics and other defunct publishers who have fallen into the public domain.)

          I'll be around from time to time, but I may not make my presence known that often.

          Take Care,
          Jon